• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDLink

Funny I were thinking of suggesting the same. Just stop making these production threads as they die out hard anyway. And keep it all in here. Make new threads for new news.

I agree with this, the question is will everyone agree to it. I guess we'll see if someone makes a Ragnarok production thread or not in the next couple weeks.

jmood88

Let's not get too bogged down in who made what thread. This is partly why "calling" a thread far in advance is a poor idea. The guy who made it isn't even a regular in this thread, so how could he know really? Also, it feels like the same 3 or 4 people make every single one of these threads. I don't see the problem with giving someone else a chance with that in mind. Either way, there's no reason to get mad about it, even if you understandably put some time into it. Contact a mod to see if some sort of collaboration can be worked out but really this is a pretty minor thing no one should get too fussed about.

Let's keep the focus of this thread on speculation and discussion and not debating who should make certain other threads.

This is an exciting period for the MCU with Spider-Man and Thor both entering production, Doctor Strange and Guardians 2 in post, Luke Cage releasing shortly, and The Defenders also entering production in the near future. So there's lots to discuss!
I'll never understand why anyone gets worked up over starting a thread.

El Topo

I'll never understand why anyone gets worked up over starting a thread.

We've had some pretty fantastic OTs that people spent a lot of time on. If you've put work into it, then it's obviously frustrating if someone else goes ahead and makes a thread.

TDLink

It looks like we finally know who Mads Mikkelsen is playing in Doctor Strange. Is it Dormammu? Nightmare?

Kaecilius

http://io9.gizmodo.com/we-might-finally-know-the-identity-of-mads-mikkelsens-d-1782346526

So basically two possibilities here.

1. Marvel is taking an existing minor comic character and repurposing him to be something different in the MCU. They've done this before.

2. Mordo, an apparent ally to Strange, is really the mastermind/Big Bad of the film and Kaecilius is misdirection. Which would be a good twist to anyone not familiar with Mordo being a Strange antagonist.

I could see it going either way and I'd be fine with both of these scenarios.

Pachimari

But I want Mads all over my MCU. :(

[edit] I would really love to have a light hearted Marvel tv show with a superhero. Maybe Cloak and Dagger will be it? Especially as they are going for a younger crowd.

Neoxon

So there was a discussion amongst my friends on who was the best female Avenger. Everyone gave me weird looks when I said Scarlet Witch.

BLACKLAC

michael_mando.jpg

Michael Mando (Better Call Saul) joins Homecoming.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/better-call-saul-actor-joins-905708

guek

Banned
So apparently Fox is mulling over a Sony-esque deal with Marvel. I don't think it'll go through for a while, but there's a decent shot since Perlmutter isn't involved.
I'm sure the idea has come up in various board room meetings but highly doubt either side have tried to get anything in motion. Neither company would ever agree too the other's terms to make it happen.

Fhtagn

Still holding out for Fantastic Phase 4. There's time to make it happen.

I imagine one of the complexities here is that unlike Spider-Man, FF villains make for great macro-level antagonists and the negotiations have to be more difficult as a result. If they do a Sony style deal, would they feel comfortable having Anihilus or Doom be the next Thanos? And if not, hard to do them any justice if they aren't multi-film adversaries.

It's not like the Avengers are gonna fight Kraven, right?

I imagine one of the complexities here is that unlike Spider-Man, FF villains make for great macro-level antagonists and the negotiations have to be more difficult as a result. If they do a Sony style deal, would they feel comfortable having Anihilus or Doom be the next Thanos? And if not, hard to do them any justice if they aren't multi-film adversaries.

Skrulls for phase 4, Doom for phase 5, Galactus for phase 6 and as the overall villain for the 3 phases. Kang weaves in and out of all the phases as the antihero

guek

Banned

I think the answer to that would be a requisite number of movies Fox could profit from every few years. I assumed that's what Sony is doing with Spider-man. How much will Sony make off of Spider-man's appearance in Civil War and later Avengers films? Probably not much if anything but Homecoming will debut with a head-start thanks to that MCU synergy.

Still holding out for Fantastic Phase 4. There's time to make it happen.

I can't help but believe.

Can you imagine how amazing it would be if in 2018, Marvel held their Phase 4 press conference and they announced a mystery movie for 2022 that they'd circle back to at the end of the conference. Then, at the end, the stage goes dark. Feige's voice booms through the auditorium. "On May 6th 2022, the Marvel Cinematic Universe is about to get a bit more...fantastic." Boom, the logo pops up on screen and 4 bright spotlights illuminate 4 spots on the stage. "And starring as the Fantastic Four are (insert cast here because I'm bad at fan-casting)..." People go nuts. Feige then walks back on. "But, 2022 is a bit too far off right?" "That is why I'm glad to announce that the Fantastic Four will be making their official debut in the MCU in 2019's Infinity War Part II!" Cue teaser clip and end presser.

That would be nice but alas it is just a dream.

mreddie

Peyton Reed on Antman/Wasp

"It’s something we’re excited about. For me as a comic nerd, I always thought of Ant-Man and Wasp as a team and that’s a lot of what the second movie is really about is how they work together, what their personal and professional relationships are like. To show her finally fully formed in this movie is really exciting. We really get to introduce this character into that universe. I mean we’ve introduced the character, but we haven’t seen her with her full power set and everything, so to me she’s not a supporting character in this movie. It’s every bit as much her movie as it is Scott Lang’s."

Taika Waititi interview. There's a little bit about Marvel at the end but the whole thing is interesting.

Cool stuff. I watched one of his films, Boy, on Netflix recently. Good film, though there's nothing that really leaps out at you as "Oh man, I can totally see this work in a Marvel film!" aside from some of the deadpan humor. Though funny thing is when Taika Waititi's character, a deadbeat dad who apologizes to his son, the title character, for losing his temper goes on to compare himself to the Hulk and using his rage and temper for good like a hero. Just had a little chuckle at that.

Also that rumor of a Silver Sable movie made me go wat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom