• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
You may not have intended it but that statement comes across as though it's more or primarily based on Infinity.
That can be^^

Just strange that they do Infinity War as a secondary influence. Infinity Gauntlet makes more sense thinking about it.

Wait, what?

I didn't know they confirmed that? I think saving a whole movie for mini-bosses and one for Thanos is a smart idea, but I thought the best version of that would be bringing back all the people killed by Infinity Stones as the mini-bosses e.g. Red Skull, Ronan, Christopher Ecclestone, Ultron, and the two that'll be killed by Time & Soul.

Yeah, I'm really hoping this is the case (especially since three of those four have the potential to be great in-universe recurring characters - sorry Malekith but u suck - and Marvel kills their villains off too damn much).

But yeah, I think that alternative beats introducing a bunch of new mooks, and it sure as hell beats Thanos summoning a huge disposable faceless army (after Age of Ultron I'm fucking done with that trope).

That would be a kickass idea but the realities of film production would basically make it impossible.

Like, not only would you have to persuade Weaving, Eccleston etc not to just phone it in for a paycheck, but that would be EVEN MORE money to spend on actors' salaries and not on the actual filming of the movie.

I'm sure it would be a pain in the ass to negotiate but I don't exactly think its been a coincidence that all the villains that have coincidentally been killed by Infinity Stones are B-list / C-list actors barring Weaving. Lee Pace has stated he'd love to return as Ronan, and I have no idea about the others. I think the main point that obfuscates things is that, we don't know what is in the contracts the villain-actors sign. A lot of the heroes outright say how many films they've signed on for, but the villain-actors have said absolutely nothing of the sort. Tim Roth mentioned they signed him on for three movies back in 2008, so if you take that as the model, it might not be a huge reach to say guys like James Spader, Lee Pace, Chris Ecclestone, Soul Gem victim, Time Gem victim, and a recast Red Skull have at least two movie contracts with an option for more.

Personally, if they do go with this, it would pretty much blow everyone's minds and give Marvel a serious chance to redeem their lackluster bad guys. Imagine in Infinity War, it begins with Thanos building his squad of:

- The Red Skull
- Malekith
- Ronan
- Ultron
- Skurge (?)
- Kaecillius

to rain hell on the Earth to conquer it in his name. And then once, the Avengers kick their asses, Thanos himself comes to Earth along with Captain Marvel & the GOTG and things get set-up for Part II.

Who knows what they actually have planned, but I'd like to dream that this is what we'll be getting.

Zero evidence for this but since you mention him, I think Kaecilius is going to be the Laufey of this upcoming film. I'd much rather have Baron Mordo be the real villain *this* time around rather than pulling the awful "everyone else likes you too much so I hate you now" thing that the Green Lantern film did with Sinestro.

Also: really hoping Infinity War does not contain any mind-controlled Avengers fighting their friends, also.

The Kree

Banned
I'm sure it would be a pain in the ass to negotiate but I don't exactly think its been a coincidence that all the villains that have coincidentally been killed by Infinity Stones are B-list / C-list actors barring Weaving. Lee Pace has stated he'd love to return as Ronan, and I have no idea about the others. I think the main point that obfuscates things is that, we don't know what is in the contracts the villain-actors sign. A lot of the heroes outright say how many films they've signed on for, but the villain-actors have said absolutely nothing of the sort. Tim Roth mentioned they signed him on for three movies back in 2008, so if you take that as the model, it might not be a huge reach to say guys like James Spader, Lee Pace, Chris Ecclestone, Soul Gem victim, Time Gem victim, and a recast Red Skull have at least two movie contracts with an option for more.

Personally, if they do go with this, it would pretty much blow everyone's minds and give Marvel a serious chance to redeem their lackluster bad guys. Imagine in Infinity War, it begins with Thanos building his squad of:

- The Red Skull
- Malekith
- Ronan
- Ultron
- Skurge (?)
- Kaecillius

to rain hell on the Earth to conquer it in his name. And then once, the Avengers kick their asses, Thanos himself comes to Earth along with Captain Marvel & the GOTG and things get set-up for Part II.

Who knows what they actually have planned, but I'd like to dream that this is what we'll be getting.

This would be lame. Introducing the Black Order would be better. I wanna see Panther knock Black Dwarf the fuck out.

This would be lame. Introducing the Black Order would be better. I wanna see Panther knock Black Dwarf the fuck out.

Black Order would be much easier to do, but my issue with using them vs. "the Legion of Doom" is that it'd be a lot like telling v. showing.

USing the Order means Thanos has to say to the audience, "Hey guys, trust me, these guys are total badasses and not idiots whose sole purpose is to lose to the Avengers & give them XP before they hit the big boss."

Using the "Legion" skips all that. We already know they're evil badasses and have a genuine reason to destroy the Avengers. It makes things more interesting. Plus, it'd be a cool way to reassert Phase 3 is the culmination of this crazy universe-building plan and give people talking points.

At the end of the day, I don't really know. Maybe the part they're taking from "Infinity" is the whole "we'll take the fight to Thanos" aspect. Maybe it's something else.

Pachimari

agents of shield will never, ever be required viewing for understanding a plot point or even a single line of dialogue within a marvel movie, but it's honestly *healthier* for the TV shows to be able to stand on their own (see: the netflix shows) than for them to serve as an adjunct to the films anyway
I am fine with this. I just want Quake, Daredevil and Iron Fist in the Infinity movies. :(

- The Red Skull
- Malekith
- Ronan
- Ultron
- Skurge (?)
- Kaecillius

I hope this is what we get.

It's probably been said in here before, but I have a theory on Doctor Strange. Strange will be the surgeon that removed Stark's arc reactor and shrapnel from his chest. Just my theory based on seeing a Stark letter envelope in the Doctor Strange Lego set.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
It's probably been said in here before, but I have a theory on Doctor Strange. Strange will be the surgeon that removed Stark's arc reactor and shrapnel from his chest. Just my theory based on seeing a Stark letter envelope in the Doctor Strange Lego set.

No, it was a Chinese doctor who operated on Stark in IM3.

- The Red Skull
- Malekith
- Ronan
- Ultron
- Dormammu

It could be those guys and it'd be pretty awesome. I've thought for a long-time that Red Skull isn't dead...but they'd have to get a new actor to play him. Hugo Weaving wasn't that thrilled to come back.

It could be those guys and it'd be pretty awesome. I've thought for a long-time that Red Skull isn't dead...but they'd have to get a new actor to play him. Hugo Weaving wasn't that thrilled to come back.

I've always thought Dormammu would be positioned like the Thanos of the mystical side.

And I think that recasting the Red Skull is going to be Marvel's first big recast for a role. Skull's a huge part of Cap's world and he needs to return sooner rather than later to the films. Of course, Marvel could cop out and use a modified version of Sin but I hope they do recast to gauge audience reaction to the concept of recasts.

I've always thought Dormammu would be positioned like the Thanos of the mystical side.

And I think that recasting the Red Skull is going to be Marvel's first big recast for a role. Skull's a huge part of Cap's world and he needs to return sooner rather than later to the films. Of course, Marvel could cop out and use a modified version of Sin but I hope they do recast to gauge audience reaction to the concept of recasts.

Yes, I think they have to. Tony and crew won't be around forever, although that one will be the hardest.

I'm really not sure how big they'll make Dormammu, could go either way, but I doubt he dies in the film.

After Thanos, there's only a handful of crazy guys--Doom is one, but obviously can't have him yet. They could take the ballsy option and build towards Secret Invasion or Incursions...and fight a fake Justice League.

Pachimari

They don't have to recast the heroes though. Just make Pepper the new Iron Man, Bucky the new Cap and get Natalie Portman back to become the new Thor!

I believe Hugo Weaving stated that he wasn't really interested in reprising the role, and he doesn't think Marvel would force him to, but contractually he is obligated to appear if they so demand it.

You must have forgotten The Hulk, but even that was after Rhodey, and many may not have noticed.... but Thanos as well.

I believe Hugo Weaving stated that he wasn't really interested in reprising the role, and he doesn't think Marvel would force him to, but contractually he is obligated to appear if they so demand it.

You must have forgotten The Hulk, but even that was after Rhodey, and many may not have noticed.... but Thanos as well.
Yeah, but I'm sure Marvel care enough about their actors that they'd be willing to accomodate their desire to exist their universe if they so please. Weaving's hypothetical role for IW could end with him getting the exit he indicated he wanted. It's always better to get an actor who is hungry to do the role justice than stick with one who isn't particularly connected to it.

...I'm super dumb. 3rd major recast, excluding Thanos because I don't really think anyone noticed Thanos was recast.

Yes, I think they have to. Tony and crew won't be around forever, although that one will be the hardest.

I'm really not sure how big they'll make Dormammu, could go either way, but I doubt he dies in the film.

After Thanos, there's only a handful of crazy guys--Doom is one, but obviously can't have him yet. They could take the ballsy option and build towards Secret Invasion or Incursions...and fight a fake Justice League.

I would be surprised if Strange doesn't end with two things happening: Mordo being the secret big bad or set-up to be one and Dormammu being teased / mentioned / appearing. And considering how big he is as an iconic level on the same level as Mephisto & how powerful he is, he's more Thanos-level than anything.

If Marvel actually does an adaptation of Secret Wars, I'd die. I adore Hickman's take on it (probably the best event run in the past 5-10 years) and seeing them tackle things as heady as the Ivory Kings, Incursions, the not-Justice League (yes I know they're the Squadron Supreme), and the Illuminati killing worlds would be a dream come true. It's practically unfilmable, but I'd love to see them try.

Quick

Banned
Every trailer I see I'm reminded of the class of actors this movie has. Then I realise that Ragnarok and Spider-Man are of the same level and it blows my mind. Phase 3 Marvel is crazy.

It's funny looking back at Iron Man and RDJ was the riskiest member of a main cast that had:

Gwyneth Paltrow
Terrence Howard
Jeff Bridges

Damn good cast.

Neoxon

Every trailer I see I'm reminded of the class of actors this movie has. Then I realise that Ragnarok and Spider-Man are of the same level and it blows my mind. Phase 3 Marvel is crazy.
I mean, Spider-Man: Homecoming has a lot of great young actors. But Michael Keaton (& maybe Angourie Rice thanks to her stellar performance in Nice Guys) aside, I'm not sure if I'd put their cast on the level of Doctor Strange or Black Panther.

I mean, Spider-Man: Homecoming has a lot of great young actors. But Michael Keaton (& maybe Angourie Rice thanks to her stellar performance in Nice Guys) aside, I'm not sure if I'd put their cast on the level of Doctor Strange or Black Panther.

I think in a few years we will, though.

Neoxon

Oh definitely. All of the young actors involved with Spider-Man: Homecoming definitely have the potential to go places with their respective acting careers. I look forward to seeing how they grow as actors & actresses going forward.

Doctor Strange has the most stacked cast of the MCU. It is obviously Feige's favorite child.
Black Panther is a close second, but Panther has the added bonus of a better director behind it.

Yeah, but I'm sure Marvel care enough about their actors that they'd be willing to accomodate their desire to exist their universe if they so please. Weaving's hypothetical role for IW could end with him getting the exit he indicated he wanted. It's always better to get an actor who is hungry to do the role justice than stick with one who isn't particularly connected to it.

No doubt Marvel wouldn't force someone that doesn't want to be in the movies to be in the movies. Look at Natalie Portman. She literally acted like she didn't want to be there and now she isn't. But the beauty of Red Skull, is that he can literally be anyone. So whenever they want to bring him back, they can easily recast him and it would totally make sense. Not that anyone would really care anyway, having seen Norton swapped for Ruffalo, and Howard swapped for Cheadle.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Doctor Strange has the most stacked cast of the MCU. It is obviously Feige's favorite child.
Black Panther is a close second, but Panther has the added bonus of a better director behind it.

Eh I'd say Thor Ragnarok and Doctor Strange are pretty even regarding the cast, the only difference is that Doctor Strange is a newcomer to the MCU.

Oh definitely. All of the young actors involved with Spider-Man: Homecoming definitely have the potential to go places with their respective acting careers. I look forward to seeing how they grow as actors & actresses going forward.
You guys had the conversation for me, that's incredibly convenient!

As for Black Panther, yeah, that's the same. It'll be interesting to see who Captain Marvel signs at this rate.

It's funny looking back at Iron Man and RDJ was the riskiest member of a main cast that had:

Gwyneth Paltrow
Terrence Howard
Jeff Bridges

Damn good cast.
Yeah that is a bit insane. He's been the backbone of the MCU and a megastar since, really.

Pachimari

Good with confirmations. I wonder if he'll get out of his coma in a Black Panther post credits scene or maybe get out during Infinity War.

mreddie

Rudd on why Ant-Man/Wasp was MIA at SDCC

“We’ve been coming up with the story, just turned in a treatment, but it’s so preliminary. We’ll see. We have an idea of what it might look like, but it could change a lot from where we’re at now. So I don’t really know. There’s not really anything concrete I can tell you.”

guek

Banned
Rudd on why Ant-Man/Wasp was MIA at SDCC

Goddamn, I hope it's an exploration movie. Have Scott and Hope explore the microverse. Bring back Cross as the villain but now even more deranged, have Jan be alive, and make it a rescue mission. That would also give a plausible reason not to involve any other Avengers and make it feel very different from the rest of the MCU lineup.

BLACKLAC

Goddamn, I hope it's an exploration movie. Have Scott and Hope explore the microverse. Bring back Cross as the villain but now even more deranged, have Jan be alive, and make it a rescue mission. That would also give a plausible reason not to involve any other Avengers and make it feel very different from the rest of the MCU lineup.

Peyton Reed showing Fox what a Fantastic Four movie is suppose to look and feel like.

Would love this.

Oh, that sounds nice. Marvel's own Fantastic Four mo--
Peyton Reed showing Fox what a Fantastic Four movie is suppose to look and feel like.

Would love this.
Yeah, this.

Just needs more family dynamic.

Hey, Scott's daughter is totally up for a dangerous adventure, right?

guek

Banned
Oh, that sounds nice. Marvel's own Fantastic Four mo--

Yeah, this.

Just needs more family dynamic.

Hey, Scott's daughter is totally up for a dangerous adventure, right?

Luis is babysitting Cassy and the two accidentally wander into the test site and get stranded in the microverse as well. Hijinks ensue!

Vibranium

Banned

Skull needs to be scarier and more of a huge racist/sexist. In Brubaker's run he nearly threw Sin into the ocean as a baby, that's how much of a monster he is. It's how he differs from a lot of other villains.

I was really disappointed at how toned down he was in TFA (not to mention I feel he should have been loyal to the Nazis with Hydra for the whole movie, as he was in the comics). Marvel should make him stand out by doing some of the worst acts as a human villain can. Make him like Deathshead from Wolfenstein (who is ironically extremely similar in character). Working with other big bads and having death squads causing terror everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom