• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Why? She's the most memorable thing about that movie.

Except for two very big things

tumblr_n2tt3ng8il1rzoil5o1_500.gif

Why? She's the most memorable thing about that movie.
See:

I can't remember a single scene with her tbh. Loki doing his impersonation of Captain America, Hemsworth being Hemsworth, and Darcy being Darcy is all I remember from that movie.

Seriously, I just remembered her being the one who found the trunk with the evil blood fluid stone, and that's because all this talk about the movie is bringing it back to me. She's a non-presence in the movie with barely any chemistry with Hemsworth and even less interest. Darcy, the professor, Thor, and Loki are really the only ones trying to do anything with the script and make it entertaining. Portman pretty blatantly did the movie because her contract demanded it and it shows.

Pachimari

The only thing I remember about the movie is Jane Foster finding the tesserect and being transported there. And the portal fighting in the city and in space. She is what is most clear to me in my head. And then I remember Loki disguising himself as Cap America but that's it. I remember nothing of Darcy.

The only thing I remember about the movie is Jane Foster finding the tesserect and being transported there. And the portal fighting in the city and in space. She is what is most clear to me in my head. And then I remember Loki disguising himself as Cap America but that's it. I remember nothing of Darcy.

Darcy says mew mew. That's it, but that scene alone is more full of life than the ones with Portman.

Pachimari

Darcy says mew mew. That's it, but that scene alone is more full of life than the ones with Portman.
I don't remember anything from Darcy at all. Maybe cause she is a bad character, unlike Jane Foster. I dunno, I just don't remember that mew mew scene either. Now I want to rewatch The Dark World.

guek

Banned
The intern subplot with Darcy was incredibly unnecessary in TDW. Part of me wonders what Alan Taylor had envisioned for the movie before it got butchered and rearranged on the cutting room floor but then again, Taylor's track record is terrible.

The Kree

Banned
The intern subplot with Darcy was incredibly unnecessary in TDW. Part of me wonders what Alan Taylor had envisioned for the movie before it got butchered and rearranged on the cutting room floor but then again, Taylor's track record is terrible.

Malekeith died in the editing room.

guek

Banned
Malekeith died in the editing room.

Both Malekith and Ronan had such little of what made them interesting in the comics. I wonder if they changed Malekith so much out of concern that he'd feel like a Loki clone and in doing so, lost everything good about the character. I don't know what the hell they were thinking with Ronan.

tomtom94

Having looked up the list of deleted scenes, I can see where Taylor got annoyed. There's a few alternate takes/versions of some scenes that seem to aim a bit darker and a bit more character development for Malekith and Odin (emphasis on the bit), whereas the film we've got skews very heavy on the comedy (and includes a post-credits scene which he didn't direct). That said, it's hardly a great pile of alternate material.

I think the problem is less the choices of the director and more the fact that, as with Age of Ultron (and to a lesser extent Iron Man 3), Feige's struggles with the other producers affect the quality of the film. One of the biggest issues throughout phase 2 was the fact that some of the producers clearly thought phase 2 should be "more of the same" whilst under Feige the films were aiming, at least ostensibly, to subvert the audience's expectations (sometimes overtly in the text, like Iron Man 3 or Ant-Man, sometimes more subtly, like Winter Soldier). There's remnants of that in Thor 2 but the end result is probably the "safest" film in the MCU.

What would Patty Jenkins' Thor 2 have looked like, I wonder? My suspicion is that she wanted to stick to the fantasy stuff and Marvel wanted to dial up the comedy like they did with Taylor. A real missed opportunity there.

Having looked up the list of deleted scenes, I can see where Taylor got annoyed. There's a few alternate takes/versions of some scenes that seem to aim a bit darker and a bit more character development for Malekith and Odin (emphasis on the bit), whereas the film we've got skews very heavy on the comedy (and includes a post-credits scene which he didn't direct). That said, it's hardly a great pile of alternate material.

I think the problem is less the choices of the director and more the fact that, as with Age of Ultron (and to a lesser extent Iron Man 3), Feige's struggles with the other producers affect the quality of the film. One of the biggest issues throughout phase 2 was the fact that some of the producers clearly thought phase 2 should be "more of the same" whilst under Feige the films were aiming, at least ostensibly, to subvert the audience's expectations (sometimes overtly in the text, like Iron Man 3 or Ant-Man, sometimes more subtly, like Winter Soldier). There's remnants of that in Thor 2 but the end result is probably the "safest" film in the MCU.

What would Patty Jenkins' Thor 2 have looked like, I wonder? My suspicion is that she wanted to stick to the fantasy stuff and Marvel wanted to dial up the comedy like they did with Taylor. A real missed opportunity there.

Supposedly a complication was over Jenkins wanting a female villain, which if we choose to believe, points to an improvement in the minds making decisions.

I actually don't like this. Especially since they pushed their love for each other over several movies now to suddenly end it like that.

Doesn't bug me as much as Bruce banner and Betty Ross though. Like wtf. They just act like it didn't happen?

"Veronica" is a call back to that.
Although the reason why they couldn't bang is another thread, last I checked that wasnt one of BWs powers.

Fox1304

It's dead. Let it go.

-------------

In other news:

aQCZR3V.png

I separated Broadcast from Streaming, added the official temporary logo for The Punisher and added Runaways. If the separation looks not good let me know.

It's funny how even the title logos are getting more and more colorful and comic-like with each phase. Used to be all greyed and straight fonts, now everything goes popping and curving.

guek

Banned

Interesting stuff but as you said, It's unlikely any of that would have improved the film to a notable degree.

What's better.
Thor 2 or bvs?
Thor 2 or suicide squad?

TDW easily. It's not a great movie but at least it's competent, if occasionally boring.

kiri

In other news:

aQCZR3V.png

I separated Broadcast from Streaming, added the official temporary logo for The Punisher and added Runaways. If the separation looks not good let me know.

Thats a beautiful image - if you'd have given that to me 10 years ago, I probably would have died from shock.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
In other news:

aQCZR3V.png

Holy Shit, I just noticed/realized that we are getting three MCU movies next year.

Vibranium

Banned
Pretty cool about Zendaya playing MJ. I don't know why people are crying about her not having red hair, among the racist stuff. Hell, they could always have her dye it in a future movie but that would be silly.

Pachimari

I'm happy about Zendaya being Mary Jane as well. No complaints here. And I'm not sure if I want Captain Marvel to have that mohawk haircut or not, I guess I'm indifferent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom