• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zach-Galifianakis-Thank-You-Gif-To-An-Insult-In-The-Hangover.gif

"Just because they showed an article about Howard Stark's death right after the incredibly euphemistic "accidents will happen..." post describing the Winter Soldier DOESN'T MEAN CAP KNEW"

Vindication.

Finally it can be put to rest. The mental gynamstics going on refusing to believe Cap knew was just wow.

4chan has a thread regarding "leaks" about Marvel Studios upcoming films and Phase 4 plans, so take with a grain of salt:

http://boards.4chan.org/tv/thread/73596554/marvel-leaks#p73596797

The rumors sound pretty plausible. The Thor 3 sections features a lot of stuff we know from prior set leaks, so those can be disregarded slightly. The rest, I don't understand why Marvel Studios would let some random insider look at scripts for the next three or four movies with no way of tracing it back to them. Occam's Razor basically dictates it's bullshit, but it's nice to see someone's interpretation of what the remaining phases of the movie will look like.

Besides, I'm still staunchly sticking to my "Dr. Strange has the Soul Gem and Thor 3 has the Time Gem" theory.

Jonogunn

Question: did Bucky always have enhanced abilities? It's my understanding from the comics that he was just a highly trained human with a super metal arm.

In the MCU prior to civil war it was only stated that he had experiments done by hydra that helped him survive the fall during WW2.

In the Winter Soldier they never said he had enhanced abilities and he never displayed any.

Then suddenly in Civil War he can run faster than cars, has super strength, takes hits like its nothing and even over power Iron Man with his non-bionic arm.

It's like he suddenly jumped up the ranks of the most powerful ppl in the MCU during civil war.

Sup with that

The Kree

Banned
So, assuming you noticed that Captain America was superhuman, you somehow didn't notice that the guy he was fighting was able to keep up with and almost kill him.

Question: did Bucky always have enhanced abilities? It's my understanding from the comics that he was just a highly trained human with a super metal arm.

In the MCU prior to civil war it was only stated that he had experiments done by hydra that helped him survive the fall during WW2.

In the Winter Soldier they never said he had enhanced abilities and he never displayed any.

Then suddenly in Civil War he can run faster than cars, has super strength, takes hits like its nothing and even over power Iron Man with his non-bionic arm.

It's like he suddenly jumped up the ranks of the most powerful ppl in the MCU during civil war.

Sup with that

In Winter Soldier, Zola says "the procedure has already started" in the flashbacks that Bucky's having, so it's safe to put together that HYDRA had more conditioning, training and Enhancing to do for him as the Winter Soldier, and the effects stuck.

BLACKLAC

What ShinoguTakeruKoeru said plus he was able to go toe to toe with Cap for a good stretch in Winter Soldier, even over power him with the help of his metal arm. He also rips the door off a car and a Quinjet clean (again with a metal arm), kicks an adult male and sends him flying, and leaps from the rooftop of one building to the next in Winter Soldier. That's going to take a good amount of speed in a short distance.

Azazzel

Sup with that

Black Widow ran away from him mate. What else do you need to know.

Edit: Damn i just realized how much the Russos can say in a subtle way. Spider-man stopping Bucky's metal arm was a great way of showing Spider-man super human status without actually saying it.

BLACKLAC

Edit: Damn i just realized how much the Russos can say in a subtle way. Spider-man stopping Bucky's metal arm was a great way of showing Spider-man super human status without actually saying it.

Even better is Tony showing Spider-man stopping a 3000lb vehicle moving 40mph dead in its tracks.

"But why didn't Tony get Daredevil tho" 😒

Jonogunn

What ShinoguTakeruKoeru said plus he was able to go toe to toe with Cap for a good stretch in Winter Soldier, even over power him with the help of his metal arm. He also rips the door off a car and a Quinjet clean (again with a metal arm), kicks an adult male and sends him flying, and leaps from the rooftop of one building to the next in Winter Soldier. That's going to take a good amount of speed in a short distance.

In Winter Soldier, Zola says "the procedure has already started" in the flashbacks that Bucky's having, so it's safe to put together that HYDRA had more conditioning, training and Enhancing to do for him as the Winter Soldier, and the effects stuck.

Black Widow ran away from him mate. What else do you need to know.

Yah but even Batroc put up a decent fight with cap and even got a few licks in.

Obviously the consistency in who's stronger and who can keep up with who in these type of movies is never the same.

I mean even Batman in the comics was able to fight bane decently and I believe Bucky never had super powers in the comics but was able to fight super powered people.

In the Winter Soldier any feat of strength displayed by Bucky was from his metal arm but in Civil War he looked to be on a whole new level of both strength and speed.

Anyways it was my preconceived notion from the comics that he had no enhancements so that's what I assumed and to me it was clear until Civil War that he may have had some.

BLACKLAC

Yah but even Batroc put up a decent fight with cap and even got a few licks in.

Go back and watch that fight, Batroc doesn't land 1 hit and lasts 40 sec(15 when Cap puts away the shield). What feat of strength in Civil War from Bucky was without his metal arm?

😀

Jonogunn

Go back and watch that fight, Batroc doesn't land 1 hit and lasts 40 sec. What feat of strength in Civil War from Bucky was without his metal arm?

Off the top of my head he used his non-metal arm to pin iron man's head against the wall

In terms of speed he ran faster than cars

BLACKLAC

Off the top of my head he used his non-metal arm to pin iron man's head against the wall

While his metal arm is on Iron Man's chest helping to pin him there.

In terms of speed he ran faster than cars

Bucky's speed isn't firmly established in Winter Soldier but again what we do see of it is.
Bucky leaps from the rooftop of one building to the next in Winter Soldier. That's going to take a good amount of speed in a short distance.

Bucky not only goes toe to toe with Cap, he hurts him several times. That speaks to his speed, reflexes, strength, and martial skills.

Yes they emphasized his metal arm but he kicks, blocks, and punches more than effectively with his other limbs.

Jonogunn

So u guys all knew that Bucky had enhanced strength when u first watched winter soldier?

Am I the only one who didn't think so? Lol

I thought it was cool that he didn't have enhanced abilities because practically every other solo marvel movie had a villain who was beyond a normal human.

I should ask my friends to see what they think.

BLACKLAC

So u guys all knew that Bucky had enhanced strength when u first watched winter soldier?

Can't say I was really thinking about it on first viewing but it didn't come across as logically inconsistent. Hydra had the man for around 60 years as their perfect assassin. And more importantly it's properly set up from the first film.

I thought it was cool that he didn't have enhanced abilities because practically every other solo marvel movie had a villain who was beyond a normal human.

Enhanced enough to make him a threat, strength wise he still isn't on Caps level and I doubt he can take the 200+ foot drops Cap can.

It's pretty obvious just due to him being able to hang with Cap in a fight. I'm certain that's why they show Cap absolutely embarrass Batroc early in the movie. To make it plain that Bucky is more than just an assassin with an augmented arm.

Then there's Zola's reveal as well. I mean.. It's Zola. He's not just going to tack a metal arm on a standard brainwashed dude and call it a day. He's going to super soldier that mofo as best he can.

I think in this case your comic knowledge made you come to different conclusions than most of the audience.

Azazzel

I have to give Jonogunn some benefit of the doubt here. Out of all three super soldiers that currently exist in the MCU, Bucky seems to be the worst of them. I blame that bootleg super soldier serum.

Jonogunn

I think it's the inconsistencies in the marvel universe (and action movies in general) in regards to fighting skills and power levels that made me assume Bucky had no powers in winter soldier.

Iron man's suit is sometimes invincible (avengers, iron man 2) and sometimes total crap (iron man 3)

Cap's shield sometimes bounces sometimes doesn't. It'll break through metal but won't kill a man.

Etc. etc.

Anyways I was just wondering if I was the only one who thought this way and now I know lol

BLACKLAC

When it comes to Iron Man's suits they are all different so I don't see a problem there. His suit in IM3 is a prototype made up of many different pieces that fly to him and snap on. It's a little amazing how much it holds up by the end despite everything its been through. Suitcase suit from IM2 is also weaker..... It pops out from a suitcase.

Caps shield doesn't obey the laws of physics anyway. Vibranium, I ain't gotta explain shit. 😉

Jonogunn

When it comes to Iron Man's suits they are all different so I don't see a problem there. His suit in IM3 is a prototype made up of many different pieces that fly to him and snap on. It's a little amazing how much it holds up by the end despite everything its been through. Suitcase suit from IM2 is also weaker..... It pops out from a suitcase.

Caps shield doesn't obey the laws of physics anyway. Vibranium, I ain't gotta explain shit. 😉

Not just mark 42 but all the house party suits would get destroyed so easily. I remember leaving the theatre and my friends and i all thought that was weird especially how it was right after avengers where his suit was able to take anything.

Basically what I wanna say is to me nothing is as "obvious" as some ppl have stated here when it comes to things like bucky's strength. It's comic book movies and I know that viewers just need to accept these inconsistencies as they come.

BLACKLAC

Not just mark 42 but all the house party suits would get destroyed so easily. I remember leaving the theatre and my friends and i all thought that was weird especially how it was right after avengers where his suit was able to take anything.

Inconstancy is one thing and the genre does have its fair share of things you turn a blind eye to but if the logic of an explanation holds up, it holds up. Even if the explanation is not obvious. And in IM3 his suits are going up against lava people (suspension of disbelief), a threat he has never seen before and that these suits were not built to fight against.

The suits in IM3 basically represented Tony's Anxiety and fears from his PTSD as he created all of them in an insomniatic rush and by the 3rd act those Anxieties and fears were literally stripped away from him.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs

Actually, when Cap rescues Bucky from the Hydra prison camp in First Avenger, it's implied that Zola has already been experimenting with him.

The Kree

Banned
Actually, when Cap rescues Bucky from the Hydra prison camp in First Avenger, it's implied that Zola has already been experimenting with him.

Right. Pretty sure it's how he survived the fall from the train in the first place. He was already made stronger in The First Avenger.

There's a shot in Winter Soldier of Bucky kicking a guy into the propeller of a quinjet. The guy had to have flown back at least 20 feet. Black Widow couldn't do that.

Everybody gets stronger in some way with each movie. It's no different than how everybody gets stronger in the books over time.

Mark 45>46 by the way.

I think it's the inconsistencies in the marvel universe (and action movies in general) in regards to fighting skills and power levels that made me assume Bucky had no powers in winter soldier.

Iron man's suit is sometimes invincible (avengers, iron man 2) and sometimes total crap (iron man 3)

Cap's shield sometimes bounces sometimes doesn't. It'll break through metal but won't kill a man.

Etc. etc.

Anyways I was just wondering if I was the only one who thought this way and now I know lol

Wasn't the reason that the suit's in 3 were weak b/c he needed to make them all lighter (more fragile) to be able to come to him through the air the way they do? Whereas in all the prior movies he needs the machines to take them off.

I wonder how many actors turned Netflix roles for reasons like this

http://comicbook.com/marvel/2016/08/25/the-jungle-books-giancarlo-esposito-/
I know the Marvel world exists on the Disney lot. I love those guys at Marvel. We've been trying to figure out how to collaborate on something. I'm hoping that it is something. They came to me with something for their television department, then I realized if I did that, I'd never be able to have that same character be in that film department. Once you're in a Marvel character in the television version, you have to stay in the particular character. They can't carry that over to film."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom