• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do wonder how they'll handle Jessica's failed-superhero backstory from the comics, since the MCU material to date has implied that there's no real history of costumed superheroes operating in between Captain America's "death" and Iron Man's debut.

It sounds like Ant-Man is going to help fill in the gaps somewhat as well, given the Hank Pym stuff.

I think that was more of an easter-egg kinda thing, which fell through and I dunno if Sony would be in agreement about it being a recurring setting for the show.

Marvel's walking a fine line if they want to have the character of their series working at the Daily Bugle on a daily basis. It may confuse audiences and have them expecting Parker to show up at some point.

TDLink

I think that was more of an easter-egg kinda thing, which fell through and I dunno if Sony would be in agreement about it being a recurring setting for the show.

Marvel's walking a fine line if they want to have the character of their series working at the Daily Bugle on a daily basis. It may confuse audiences and have them expecting Parker to show up at some point.

Marvel has the Spider-Man rights for television. The license agreements only apply to Live Action films. Since the Netflix shows are in the MCU it is just unlikely Marvel would want to, say, introduce Spider-Man and then be unable to use him in a film later. They could use the Daily Bugle in the show no problem though if they wanted just so long as no mention of it comes up in the films.

They can use that loophole for other stuff as well like Kingpin in the Daredevil series or something.

Marvel has the Spider-Man rights for television. The license agreements only apply to Live Action films. Since the Netflix shows are in the MCU it is just unlikely Marvel would want to, say, introduce Spider-Man and then be unable to use him in a film later. They could use the Daily Bugle in the show no problem though if they wanted just so long as no mention of it comes up in the films.

They can use that loophole for other stuff as well like Kingpin in the Daredevil series or something.

That is interesting. Have they said anything about the netflix show characters crossing over into movies? I just worry that the movie versions would look much better due to the much larger budgets, plus the level of actor they get for a netflix show might not be up to the film standards. I would love to see Disney do a Spiderman show though.

Yeah, forgot about Marvel actually owning the Spidey TV rights. I doubt they want to risk putting him in one of the Netflix shows but that does open up their access to The Bugle.

Yankee, they haven't nailed down any specific cross-overs with the MCU films but they did confirm that the Netflix series will take place within the larger MCU just like Agents of SHIELD.

Yeah, forgot about Marvel actually owning the Spidey TV rights. I doubt they want to risk putting him in one of the Netflix shows but that does open up their access to The Bugle.

Yankee, they haven't nailed down any specific cross-overs with the MCU films but they did confirm that the Netflix series will take place within the larger MCU just like Agents of SHIELD.

Not that I see any reason to believe otherwise, but to split hairs just a tad: has anyone other than Drew Pearce, who doesn't work for Marvel and isn't involved with any of the Netflix series as far as we know, actually confirmed this?

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Not that I see any reason to believe otherwise, but to split hairs just a tad: has anyone other than Drew Pearce, who doesn't work for Marvel and isn't involved with any of the Netflix series as far as we know, actually confirmed this?
As far as I know, no, there has been no official statement from Marvel directly linking the two universes.

TDLink

There's close to 0 chance, anyone other than Drew Pearce having already confirmed it or not, that the Netflix shows will not be part of the MCU.

On Drew Pearce specifically, keep in mind that he has written a MCU film and one shot already. So he's definitely "in the know". I see no reason why he would lie about it.

There's close to 0 chance, anyone other than Drew Pearce having already confirmed it or not, that the Netflix shows will not be part of the MCU.

On Drew Pearce specifically, keep in mind that he has written a MCU film and one shot already. So he's definitely "in the know". I see no reason why he would lie about it.
You can be misinformed about or incorrectly assume things without lying about them.

But like I said, this is probably just hair-splitting and I see little to no reason why Marvel would want to have the Netflix series in their own universe. It just hasn't come from the horse's mouth yet.

I think it makes sense for them to be in-universe but the idea that Avengers 3 will have every single street-level Netflix hero in it fighting Thanos is just as laughable as the idea that Avengers 3 will have Fitz and Simmons in it, also fighting Thanos.

Marvel's job will get far easier if they can get audiences to accept that Avengers films don't need to be the sole source of crossover material, and to accept that Avengers films don't need to include every single major and minor hero in them.

I think it makes sense for them to be in-universe but the idea that Avengers 3 will have every single street-level Netflix hero in it fighting Thanos is just as laughable as the idea that Avengers 3 will have Fitz and Simmons in it, also fighting Thanos.

Marvel's job will get far easier if they can get audiences to accept that Avengers films don't need to be the sole source of crossover material, and to accept that Avengers films don't need to include every single major and minor hero in them.

I agree, I don't see what daredevil really has to offer to the fight against Thanos
Unless they are trying to sue him for the damage done to NYC during Avengers 1, 2 & 3
maybe helping to clear the street of civilians while everyone contributes more... directly.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
For a clue, watch Iron Man 3 again.

I will. Blu-Ray is still unopened, because I hated the movie when I saw him in the cinema.

I agree, I don't see what daredevil really has to offer to the fight against Thanos
Unless they are trying to sue him for the damage done to NYC during Avengers 1, 2 & 3
maybe helping to clear the street of civilians while everyone contributes more... directly.

Imagine a Damage Control Movie :D

I were ok if they would sepererate Streetlevel Heroes like Daredevil or Iron Fist from the more on a global level operating ones like the members of the Avengers, who deal often with stuff like alien Invasion or cosmic dictators.

What they need to do is acknowledge each other in their universe

Imagine a Damage Control Movie :D

I were ok if they would sepererate Streetlevel Heroes like Daredevil or Iron Fist from the more on a global level operating ones like the members of the Avengers, who deal often with stuff like alien Invasion or cosmic dictators.

What they need to do is acknowledge each other in their universe

Yes a Global/Cosmic MCU and a Street Level MCU, who exist in the same U, but deal with different threats, often referencing each other in passing and at SHIELD picnics & parties.

I just hope the Netflix series end up hitting the ground running like s2 of Arrow and not spend far too many episodes before establishing and expanding the characters and the MCU.
I also expect some Agent of SHIELD crossovers.

And as far as Damage Control is concerned, I was expecting that to be part of the Agents of SHIELD show, showing the clean up of NY so quickly.
Maybe they'll throw that in after Avengers 2 instead, and add a throw back line like "that was the same company that cleaned up New York last time an Avengers conflict destroyed half the city... they do good work, and they're really quick, but their so expensive".

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs

I believe Bob Iger has also confirmed that the Netflix series takes place in the MCU.

neoanarch

At this point unless stated otherwise anything Marvel produces that is live action should be assumed to be in the MCU. I don't know how the assumption that the Netflix shows were in its own continuity started. The closest rumor to something like that I've heard is that the Netflix shows may be set in the 70s/80s.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
...but she isn't always a superhero, and until we find out more about her series, I'm not gonna hold my breath. I'd love to see her as Jewel, but I'm not expecting anything more than some flashbacks with the main story in the show being her time at the Bugle. There is a very good chance she might not be in a superhero costume in "present day" MCU.

Arguing over this is stupid since we know just about nothing in regards to the Netflix shows.

Side note: Will they even be able to use the Daily Bugle in the MCU?

it all depends on if she gives it up to Luke Cage in her Netflix series.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
He was also The Loser's saving grace. Damn funny, he carried every scene he was in.

Agreed! Chris Evans tends to be the best thing in everything he's in. Although I'll admit I'm a bit biased since he's my favorite actor

Thrilled-To-Be-Here-Scott-Pilgrim-Lucas-Lee.jpg

Most likely yes. After all, production for A2 starts very soon. If they rush things, maybe they will even be able to produce something quickly for Capt2.

They wont attach anything for it to Cap 2. They will probably just focus on GotG with that, and then maybe a trailer for Avengers before or after Guardians.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
They wont attach anything for it to Cap 2. They will probably just focus on GotG with that, and then maybe a trailer for Avengers before or after Guardians.

I doubt. Between Thor 2 and GotG was at least a connection, while we could be very sure, that there will be almost none between Cap 2 and GotG. Also. Cap 2 is supposed to be the Movie, who leads directly to Avengers 2. I am very sure, that we will get at least some foreshadowing of Ulton. Like someone injecting a Virus in pieces of the destroyed Iron Man suits or something like this.

TDLink

Most likely yes. After all, production for A2 starts very soon. If they rush things, maybe they will even be able to produce something quickly for Capt2.

The post credits scene for Cap 2 is confirmed A2 related, at the very least.

I doubt. Between Thor 2 and GotG was at least a connection, while we could be very sure, that there will be almost none between Cap 2 and GotG. Also. Cap 2 is supposed to be the Movie, who leads directly to Avengers 2. I am very sure, that we will get at least some foreshadowing of Ulton. Like someone injecting a Virus in pieces of the destroyed Iron Man suits or something like this.
Foreshadowing and set up yes. I was referring to a trailer not being there. Sorry if I was vague originally.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Based on rumours it is highly probable he is one of the top three most likely new characters a movie would be centered on in Phase 3. The other two being Doctor Strange and Nova.
I don't recall any rumours for a Nova movie? Otherwise Feige had pretty much flat out said to expect a standalone Strange movie and that BP will not go ignored.

It's all high hopes more than reliable rumours. The only thing that points towards a Nova movie is the kid from IM3 signing the multimovie contract, who could end up being just the kid ultimately.

There's more pointing towards Ms. Marvel than Nova.

TDLink

I don't recall any rumours for a Nova movie? Otherwise Feige had pretty much flat out said to expect a standalone Strange movie and that BP will not go ignored.

It's all high hopes more than reliable rumours. The only thing that points towards a Nova movie is the kid from IM3 signing the multimovie contract, who could end up being just the kid ultimately.

There's more pointing towards Ms. Marvel than Nova.

I'm confident that kid in IM3 will have nothing to do with MCU Nova.

Me saying Nova is likely is part my own wishful thinking and part Feige saying that he wants the cosmic films to stand apart and not rely on The Avengers, which so far it has. After GotG Nova is the next most logical choice. There have also been rumours that indicate a character in the GotG movie already is being looked at for a solo film. Although as Richard Rider has yet to be confirmed for the movie (despite the Nova Corps being present) it's possible that could have been referring to Ronan the Accuser.

There's no indication for Ms Marvel at all except for Marvel saying they're interested in a female led project. And they are doing Jessica Jones now, and possibly Agent Carter, so it may have just been one of those.

jph139

Hmm... actually, I'm wondering who owns Kingpin. I remember that The Spectacular Spider-Man couldn't use him (and used Tombstone instead) because of rights issues, and Sony was behind that one, so... maybe they were permanently moved to Fox? Or it was a shared sort of thing? Or maybe TV is an entirely different beast with this sort of thing.

Hmm... actually, I'm wondering who owns Kingpin. I remember that The Spectacular Spider-Man couldn't use him (and used Tombstone instead) because of rights issues, and Sony was behind that one, so... maybe they were permanently moved to Fox? Or it was a shared sort of thing? Or maybe TV is an entirely different beast with this sort of thing.

TV rights are different. Sony previously had animation rights for Spider-Man but they reverted to Marvel.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
Ah ok. Could have been great in the street level Netflix series.

I don't see why Sony can't make a similar arrangement with Marvel/Disney for Kingpin. Sony seems to be on better terms with Marvel since they rely on them for Spider-Man merchandising rights.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
What if.. MCU is the House of M of the X-men film universe.

oh man OH MAN

I can see it now.

Phase 5 or some shit, after Marvel somehow wrestles back the X-Men rights. First film opens with "no more mutants." Rest of the film is a flashback. We see the X-Men throughout various events in the MCU. They were there in Avengers 1. Hell, they were there in Avengers 2 and 3. Played a huge role in the Infinity Gauntlet. Rest of the film is new events, heavily features the typical "world hates mutants" trope. Lots of infighting. Various plot whosawhats. One way or another, builds up to Scarlet Witch erasing mutants.

But the MCU twist is that she does it Sentry-style. Not only are they all depowered, but the world forgets they ever existed. Everyone remembers a world where the heroes in the Avengers film were the first real appearance of super-powered heroes, despite a "true" history where there were decades upon decades of mutants.

Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are the only ones that survive the cull, and they remain in the world's memories as a part of the Avengers. Maybe she reverses "no more mutants" at the end of the movie, or maybe X-Men 2 is about the magic wearing off naturally, and the world coming to grips with these mutants in their midst, memories coming back and powers re-emerging. Which, with the heavy Avengers focus the MCU has had, dovetails brilliantly into Civil War.

aw now I made myself sad

GAMEPROFF

Banned
oh man OH MAN

I can see it now.

Phase 5 or some shit, after Marvel somehow wrestles back the X-Men rights. First film opens with "no more mutants." Rest of the film is a flashback. We see the X-Men throughout various events in the MCU. They were there in Avengers 1. Hell, they were there in Avengers 2 and 3. Played a huge role in the Infinity Gauntlet. Rest of the film is new events, heavily features the typical "world hates mutants" trope. Lots of infighting. Various plot whosawhats. One way or another, builds up to Scarlet Witch erasing mutants.

But the MCU twist is that she does it Sentry-style. Not only are they all depowered, but the world forgets they ever existed. Everyone remembers a world where the heroes in the Avengers film were the first real appearance of super-powered heroes, despite a "true" history where there were decades upon decades of mutants.

Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are the only ones that survive the cull, and they remain in the world's memories as a part of the Avengers. Maybe she reverses "no more mutants" at the end of the movie, or maybe X-Men 2 is about the magic wearing off naturally, and the world coming to grips with these mutants in their midst, memories coming back and powers re-emerging. Which, with the heavy Avengers focus the MCU has had, dovetails brilliantly into Civil War.

aw now I made myself sad

Sounds great and would make perfect sense :D

Disney has so much money, I really cant understand why they dont just go and offer Fox and Sony a hell of money and buy all rights back.

Sounds great and would make perfect sense :D

Disney has so much money, I really cant understand why they dont just go and offer Fox and Sony a hell of money and buy all rights back.

I wouldnt be surprised to see them go after the Spiderman rights if SM 2 flops given Sony's financial problems. I cant see Fox ever giving up the X-men though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom