• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't know what the monetary value of those rights are even if they were up for sale by the current holders. Star Wars did cost a fuckton of money and that was for an IP that was, arguably, pretty damaged. Fox and Sony are still making loads of money off their Marvel properties.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I wouldnt be surprised to see them go after the Spiderman rights if SM 2 flops given Sony's financial problems. I cant see Fox ever giving up the X-men though.

They should just give then a shitton of money + percents from the earnings for a couple of movies. On the short run, they would lose some money, but on the long run it would be pretty profitable.

The only question is what they doing with the current universes, I cant see them rebooting Spider-Man again so early. With X-Men, it would be the right thing. The X-Men Universe is a complete mess on this point.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
The only question is what they doing with the current universes, I cant see them rebooting Spider-Man again so early. With X-Men, it would be the right thing. The X-Men Universe is a complete mess on this point.

Thing is, I'm not really sure how the Garfield Spider-Man universe can fit into the MCU. SHIELD would have to be heavily involved in Spidey and Oscorp's activities, especially since they fuck up NYC pretty badly.

Zen

Banned
oh man OH MAN

I can see it now.

Phase 5 or some shit, after Marvel somehow wrestles back the X-Men rights. First film opens with "no more mutants." Rest of the film is a flashback. We see the X-Men throughout various events in the MCU. They were there in Avengers 1. Hell, they were there in Avengers 2 and 3. Played a huge role in the Infinity Gauntlet. Rest of the film is new events, heavily features the typical "world hates mutants" trope. Lots of infighting. Various plot whosawhats. One way or another, builds up to Scarlet Witch erasing mutants.

But the MCU twist is that she does it Sentry-style. Not only are they all depowered, but the world forgets they ever existed. Everyone remembers a world where the heroes in the Avengers film were the first real appearance of super-powered heroes, despite a "true" history where there were decades upon decades of mutants.

Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver are the only ones that survive the cull, and they remain in the world's memories as a part of the Avengers. Maybe she reverses "no more mutants" at the end of the movie, or maybe X-Men 2 is about the magic wearing off naturally, and the world coming to grips with these mutants in their midst, memories coming back and powers re-emerging. Which, with the heavy Avengers focus the MCU has had, dovetails brilliantly into Civil War.

aw now I made myself sad

I;d rather that they just continue to push Inhumans as the replacement and leave it at that. The MCU works very well without 'mutants!' being shoe horned in at every turn and the comics kind of ignore mutants/mutant issues aside from the X-books. They just get treaded like any other costumed hero in most other books.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I can't really see Marvel Studios buying back properties any time soon.

I have to think that a company like Disney, so hugely vested in the film industry, can't be too thrilled that some of their most valuable and freshly acquired IP is currently held by competing film studios. They've gotta be drawing up some kind of strategy to re-consolidate all of their holdings.

They should just give then a shitton of money + percents from the earnings for a couple of movies. On the short run, they would lose some money, but on the long run it would be pretty profitable.

What do you mean by this? I thought First class was fantastic and DoFP is my most anticipated movie next year. I dont see how it is a mess at all.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Thing is, I'm not really sure how the Garfield Spider-Man universe can fit into the MCU. SHIELD would have to be heavily involved in Spidey and Oscorp's activities, especially since they fuck up NYC pretty badly.

To bad that they didnt build the Oscorp Tower Easteregg into The Avengers, so there could have been a little possiblity to make sense afterwards.

At this point, they have to cast a new Peter Parker.

What do you mean by this? I thought First class was fantastic and DoFP is my most anticipated movie next year. I dont see how it is a mess at all.

I am not speaking of the quality, rather of the continuity.

TDLink

I have to think that a company like Disney, so hugely vested in the film industry, can't be too thrilled that some of their most valuable and freshly acquired IP is currently held by competing film studios. They've gotta be drawing up some kind of strategy to re-consolidate all of their holdings.

They probably care a bit but that slight care is outweighed by The Avengers/MCU shitting all over the other studios' films plus acquiring Star Wars and soon making shitloads of money off of that too.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
To bad that they didnt build the Oscorp Tower Easteregg into The Avengers, so there could have been a little possiblity to make sense afterwards.

At this point, they have to cast a new Peter Parker.

I am not speaking of the quality, rather of the continuity.

the rest of us are thinking both :D

Anth0ny

I have to imagine Disney wants the Spidey property back before they even start thinking about X-Men/F4.

Is it at all realistic at this point that Sony would sell it back to Marvel?

#keepthedreamalive

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
I have to imagine Disney wants the Spidey property back before they even start thinking about X-Men/F4.

#keepthedreamalive

the best we can hope for is FF4 and associated properties at this point.

GAMEPROFF

Banned

#keepthedreamalive

The more Sony has money problems, the more it is likelier that they sell at some point.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Man, Jaimie Alexander was such a nice pick for Sif.

Edit: I just realized that Lady Sif is Heimdall's sister. How the fuck does that work in the MCU?

Hobobloke

As much as I want to see Spidey go back to Marvel I don't think it's very likely. All Sony needs to do is keep releasing movies with spider-man in the title and it's a pretty safe bet to turn a profit.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Well, they have been selling off their PC and TV divisions. Hopefully, their film division is next.

They dont have to sell Universal, I like a lot of their movies, they should just sell the Spider-Man rights.

What? No, Sony would have no reason to do that. He was part of the Daredevil rights, and Marvel would have him back now.

No. Feige stated by himself, that Kingpin is part of the Spider-Man Package.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Sony owns Columbia, not Universal (which is owned by Comcast).
Yeah, sorry, I was speaking of Columbia butw rote Universal. My fault, sorry^^

But wouldn't they want to hold on to a property that is guaranteed to make them money?
Depends on how much Disney is willing to spend on Spider-Man.

Maybe they could give 500 Millions for the Movie rights and 20% of the next few Spider-Man Movies or something like this.

FoneBone

No. Feige stated by himself, that Kingpin is part of the Spider-Man Package.

Source? I can't find any quote from Feige to that effect. Avi Arad apparently said that at one point, but that doesn't explain his absence from any of the more recent Spider-Man cartoons.
Depends on how much Disney is willing to spend on Spider-Man.

Maybe they could give 500 Millions for the Movie rights and 20% of the next few Spider-Man Movies or something like this.
Sony needs Spider-Man more than Disney does. Disney is making boatloads of money on the characters to which they do own the rights, and I can't see why they'd feel the need to pay through the nose to get him back.

Meanwhile, Spider-Man is the biggest franchise Sony has. They're not too eager to give the character up.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
First Guardians Of The Galaxy trailer has been rated...

http://www.albertafilmratings.ca/recentclasstrailers.aspx

2:23 HNNGGGGGGG

lZwJ9N7.gif

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
YESSSS. Hoping it's online this week - I'm guessing it'll be running in front of RoboCop, since there doesn't seem to be anything else suitable coming out before Captain America.

GOTG ain't gonna show up until Cap 2's release. You can bank on that.

Simo

YESSSS. Hoping it's online this week - I'm guessing it'll be running in front of RoboCop, since there doesn't seem to be anything else suitable coming out before Captain America.

The only thing I can think of unless it's an early rating and they attach it with The Muppets being it's a Disney flick.

FoneBone

GOTG ain't gonna show up until Cap 2's release. You can bank on that.

While I've seen trailers show up on that list anywhere from a few days to a few weeks before they were released online, I've never seen it happen that far in advance. I can't see why they'd finish a trailer so long before its planned release, given that they'd want to include as many effects shots as possible.

Simo

Yeah those listings are usually a week or 2 in advance.....I've never seen them rated a trailer 1-2 months in advance.

Now to see if the BBFC follows suit..

Well, they have been selling off their PC and TV divisions. Hopefully, their film division is next.

A few people in the thread about Sony's current problem said that they were looking into sell off the film division, no idea if that is true or not but if it is Disney should just buy the whole thing.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
The only thing I can think of unless it's an early rating and they attach it with The Muppets being it's a Disney flick.

Largely different audiences, I believe.

Caps it is. Which means March 28th going by the European release date (which is a bit earlier than America's).

FoneBone

Largely different audiences, I believe.

Caps it is. Which means March 28th going by the European release date (which is a bit earlier than America's).

Again: it is very unlikely that the trailer would have been rated this early if it weren't going to be released in the next ~3 weeks or less.

Crazy, had no idea they were still distributing new Ghibli films.

That's awesome I had no idea the US release was this close. I highly doubt they'd attach a Marvel trailer to that though.

When was the Captain America 2 Trailer #1 rated, and what did it release with?

I don't see them holding it till March 28th/April 4th, but I also don't see them putting it before a Studio Ghibli film either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom