• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which Marvel character would you guys like to see crop up next in the MCU?

1) She-Hulk

She-Hulk_vol_2_7_textless.jpg

2) Moon Knight.

4ed4e45e83aa7b31ea51b4ed66a9334d.jpg

3) Ms Marvel (Kamala Khan)

tumblr_static_tumblr_static_7il4xqjsah8ocsw04osoko00o_640.jpg

4) Spider-Woman.

6745ca579134067ae19d716667f5a23e.jpg

5) Namor.

NAMOR1cover-CMYKcrop.jpg

Personally, I'd love to see me some She-Hulk. Really fun character who could add a bit more humor to the MCU.

Kamala Khan. There's an obvious bias there, but I want someone brown in the MCU that isn't a vaguely foreign terrorist, civilian, or cab driver.

Jonogunn

Normally I would look at all these characters and think y'all crazy to think they'll be in the MCU. But then I remember how far marvel and superhero movies has come and what they've done that ANYTHING is possible.

Normally I would look at all these characters and think y'all crazy to think they'll be in the MCU. But then I remember how far marvel and superhero movies has come and what they've done that ANYTHING is possible.

Gee I wonder who you want included....

But, yeah, if the reaction to Spider-Man teaches Hollywood anything, it's that its better to swallow your pride and reap whatever Marvel gives you rather than nothing at all. I can imagine once the reception to Homecoming comes out, companies like Legendary and Universal will try and work something out with Marvel and/or Marvel Studios is going to hire a shit-ton of lawyers to see where their rights stand in relation to certain characters. If even Kevin Feige doesn't know which character lies whee, that must be some complicated legalese at play.

Mulgrok

Marvel bought back the rights for Namor, so he is definitely doing something in the MCU.

MCU and/or Netflix needs more Squirrel power.

Somehow some folks found out Rachel Morrison is the DoP of Black Panther. She worked with Coogler on Fruitvale Station. Neither here nor there but it's always impressive how people dig this stuff up unprompted.

curb

Banned
I think we should suck with the official "it's complicated" that came from Feige a few years back.

Quesada obviously, as he stated, has no idea what he's talking about in regards to movie rights.

He certainly doesn't sound very definitive. I'm pretty sure that's the only source for Namor's film rights being back at Marvel too.

Da-Kid

Are the Netflix series not allowed to say any of the Avengers names, use Stark Tech or show other heroes paraphernalia, logos, etc? It seems like it. Like how will they explain Misty's cybernetic arm when it's suppose to be Stark Tech...?

Also I wonder if in the Defenders Luke will get his iconic yellow shirt and jeans made by the guy that makes Daredevil's suit. That way he doesn't have to deal with his clothes getting destroyed all the time.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Are the Netflix series not allowed to say any of the Avengers names, use Stark Tech or show other heroes paraphernalia, logos, etc? It seems like it. Like how will they explain Misty's cybernetic arm when it's suppose to be Stark Tech...?

Also I wonder if in the Defenders Luke will get his iconic yellow shirt and jeans made by the guy that makes Daredevil's suit. That way he doesn't have to deal with his clothes getting destroyed all the time.

They can and have said character's names when it makes sense for the characters to do so.

El Topo

Kamala Khan is their by far their best character in many years, but you have to properly establish Captain Marvel before you can bring her into MCU and that takes time. Namor would be great.

Da-Kid

They can and have said character's names when it makes sense for the characters to do so.
What does that mean, everyone should know their names instead of mentioning them under some snarky codename "Big Green Guy" "Flag waver"

Captain America, Iron Man, and Thor are the most known.

Edit: What is so good about the current Ms. Marvel?

What does that mean, everyone should know their names instead of mentioning them under some snarky codename "Big Green Guy" "Flag waver"

Captain America, Iron Man, and Thor are the most known.
Sarcastic names that show you how much the characters (who mock and dismiss the idea of being a hero) care about and respect those heroes (i.e they don't at all) fits perfectly in a noir-ish thriller series

Dalek

Kamala Khan is their by far their best character in many years, but you have to properly establish Captain Marvel before you can bring her into MCU and that takes time. Namor would be great.

I think Kamala's movie would be huge, but yeah-gotta wait first.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Gee I wonder who you want included....

But, yeah, if the reaction to Spider-Man teaches Hollywood anything, it's that its better to swallow your pride and reap whatever Marvel gives you rather than nothing at all. I can imagine once the reception to Homecoming comes out, companies like Legendary and Universal will try and work something out with Marvel and/or Marvel Studios is going to hire a shit-ton of lawyers to see where their rights stand in relation to certain characters. If even Kevin Feige doesn't know which character lies whee, that must be some complicated legalese at play.

I really wonder if there'll be a ripple effect from this film regarding character rights/shared universes etc. I never really considered that Fox, Universal, whoever might be watching closely to see how well Sony does in this deal.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam

I don't think you have to establish that much. If you have one Captain Marvel movie and then Captain Marvel showing up in some crossover (Avengers?) that'd be more than enough to establish her as "superhero idolized by teenage girl".

I hope that when they do Kamala, they do a proper "classic" origin story rather than first showing her in a different movie, unless it's a tiny cameo before she got her powers (i.e. watching Captain Marvel).

Quick

Banned
Lost track and stopped reading Ms. Marvel after issue 14 from like a year or two ago (thx for the confusion marvel), but it was a really enjoyable series. I stopped reading Daredevil, Black Widow, and Hawkeye too.

I need to get back to comics again.

Another argument for Namor would also be that he lends himself very well to the protagonist and antagonist role and BP vs. Namor could rival Cap vs. Iron Man.

Get Brian Tee to play him and go brazy.

Namor all the way for Wakanda vs. Atlantis fuckery.

Panther hands him some Ls, but the main issue is that being Reed's pseudo-cuck is what puts the L in Atlantis. He can work alone, but for maximum salt, need the FF around.

Marvel bought back the rights for Namor, so he is definitely doing something in the MCU.

MCU and/or Netflix needs more Squirrel power.

I prefer to see Kamila. She-Hulk isn't a terribly interesting character for a movie vs regular Hulk or even Red-Hulk. Neither is Moon Knight. Spider-woman, no need yet.

They really need to not blow their load. The MCU could last for a long, long time.

This too. No rush in waiting for Miles and Kamila to shine.

SpaceWolf

Banned
So there's this post floating round on Reddit where they've used the Civil War title cards for some different locations... imagine the hype;

Rest are here.

Oh man, if I saw this in the cinema while watching Infinity War...I would totally explode.

Another argument for Namor would also be that he lends himself very well to the protagonist and antagonist role and BP vs. Namor could rival Cap vs. Iron Man.

Get Brian Tee to play him and go brazy.

Zachary Quinto or bust.

I really wonder if there'll be a ripple effect from this film regarding character rights/shared universes etc. I never really considered that Fox, Universal, whoever might be watching closely to see how well Sony does in this deal.

I think the real catalyst will be if Spider-Man: Homecoming grosses at least $900 million to $1 billion. At that point, I think studios will see what we've known for a while, that Marvel can be the kingmaker for their properties. They'd be more willing to work with them to make some money off characters like Namor or the Hulk or even the F4 instead of letting them languish in that specific hell where they consistently get mediocre to bad movies that coincidentally flop.

I think Homecoming has the potential to gross an absurdly amount, almost Avengers-tier, because of how beloved Spidey is across the world and how much the Marvel Studios brand is now worth to the general public. At this point, the only thing I see that can stop them from achieving that goal is if the movie is just sub-par. That's what I see as the obstacle that really hindered ASM1 & 2; they were just mediocre movies and even then they still grossed $700-$750 million dollars. If this movie turns out to be critically acclaimed, I think $900 million is achievable. (Also, if it does get that acclaim, it'll be the first Spidey movie in 12 years to garner such positive critical attention.)

GAMEPROFF

Banned
May I ask why?
It will
Be the Same like with Civil War. The movie made 500 million more then its predeccesor and everyone said it was a huge disappointment. I really like this threads, even while I am at a break currently because there is only superhero company war, but it I wasnt able to bend my mind how 500 million more then Winter Soldier who already did 700 million could be a disappointment.

Homecoming is already going to set to be measured at Avengers numbers, so that People will talk about a disappointment when it "only" makes a billion.

Penguin

It will
Be the Same like with Civil War. The movie made 500 million more then its predeccesor and everyone said it was a huge disappointment. I really like this threads, even while I am at a break currently because there is only superhero company war, but it I wasnt able to bend my mind how 500 million more then Winter Soldier who already did 700 million could be a disappointment.

Homecoming is already going to set to be measured at Avengers numbers, so that People will talk about a disappointment when it "only" makes a billion.

I think it's all a matter of perspective.

You're correct, but a lot of folks expected it to play like an Avengers film, even though was Cap in name, they did promote everyone in the movie (Sans Spider-man for the most part)

It begs the question actually, will Iron Man/Tony Stark be in any of the Homecoming marketing/merch as Spiderman was for Civil War? I can definitely see him being excluded from the first trailer.

I think the question is more, is Iron Man even in Homecoming? I'm under the impression it's only Tony Stark.

Yeah that seems to be the case, but I reckon Sony would push for Iron Man to make at least a fleeting appearance.

I can see something like the Tinkerer/Vulture figuring out how to temporarily disable Stark tech, and Spiderman then having to pick up the slack.

SpaceWolf

Banned
It begs the question actually, will Iron Man/Tony Stark be in any of the Homecoming marketing/merch as Spiderman was for Civil War? I can definitely see him being excluded from the first trailer.

Pretty much the main reason Sony went into bed with Marvel Studios was because their Spiderman franchise wasn't doing as well as they wanted it to and that they wanted the character to be associated with the MCU universe to reinvigorate interest in the character so it would translate in terms of box office numbers.

To market the film, Sony are absolutely going to be highlighting the Marvel connection as much as humanely possible, so you better believe they're going to be putting Tony in a lot of the posters and trailers. Heck, the MCU connection was probably why Tony was written into the movie in the first place, as well as why almost every single Spiderman scene revolves around him interacting with Tony Stark. Knowing Robert Downey Jr's Iron Man is in the new Spiderman film is what Sony want to use to attract new audience members who couldn't be bothered with the previous Spidey franchise. It's their golden ticket, and the entire reason why the Sony/Marvel deal was even struck.

Tony's getting on those posters.

It will

I'm sorry to have brought up the whole box office numbers thing. I just like the business side of things when it comes to these movies, so looking at the numbers of breakdowns of Cinemascores and what not is really cool to me. I often forget that there are people who just enjoy seeing the movie for what it is; your favorite characters being brought to life.

Pretty much the main reason Sony went into bed with Marvel Studios was because their Spiderman franchise wasn't doing as well as they wanted it to and that they wanted the character to be associated with the MCU universe to reinvigorate interest in the character so it would translate in terms of box office numbers.

To market the film, Sony are absolutely going to be highlighting the Marvel connection as much as humanely possible, so you better believe they're going to be putting Tony in a lot of the posters and trailers. Heck, the MCU connection was probably why Tony was written into the movie in the first place, as well as why almost every single Spiderman scene revolves around him interacting with Tony Stark. Knowing Robert Downey Jr's Iron Man is in the new Spiderman film is what Sony want to use to attract new audience members who couldn't be bothered with the previous Spidey franchise. It's their golden ticket, and the entire reason why the Sony/Marvel deal was even struck.

Tony's getting on those posters.
I don't think so. I don't think Marvel wants to oversell how integral Stark is to the movie, and certainly doesn't want to trick fans into making him more central than he really is. Just by virtue of there being a giant Marvel Studios slapped on the film's marketing will be enough to tell audiences this is a different Spider-Man and if that doesn't do it, the drastically different actor, tone, and cast should. I don't think we judge how much Stark is in the movie based on the fact that Stark and Spidey shared a grand total of 2 scenes together out of the total 3 that feature Peter.

Of course, this is all speculation and what not, but I think Marvel knows that Spidey needs to stand out on its own and become popular as a result of himself not because he's Tony 2.0. My guess is, Homecoming's just going to have three to four scenes with Stark, where he gives Spidey some R&D space, a speech on heroism after Peter gets his ass kicked, some other father-figure words of wisdom, and another random one. That's what I'd want at least.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I don't think so. I don't think Marvel wants to oversell how integral Stark is to the movie, and certainly doesn't want to trick fans into making him more central than he really is. Just by virtue of there being a giant Marvel Studios slapped on the film's marketing will be enough to tell audiences this is a different Spider-Man and if that doesn't do it, the drastically different actor, tone, and cast should. I don't think we judge how much Stark is in the movie based on the fact that Stark and Spidey shared a grand total of 2 scenes together out of the total 3 that feature Peter.

Of course, this is all speculation and what not, but I think Marvel knows that Spidey needs to stand out on its own and become popular as a result of himself not because he's Tony 2.0. My guess is, Homecoming's just going to have three to four scenes with Stark, where he gives Spidey some R&D space, a speech on heroism after Peter gets his ass kicked, some other father-figure words of wisdom, and another random one. That's what I'd want at least.

When I imagine Tony Stark's role in this film, my mind always immediately goes to Nick Fury's role in Iron Man 2. A character who makes a couple of fairly fleeting appearances, hanging around just long enough to nudge Tony in the right direction.

I think what may happen in similar vein is Tony's going to show up at some point during the film, just to check in with Peter and maybe give the kid a much needed pep talk. Maybe Peter will be feeling particularly down after getting his ass handed to him in his first encounter with The Vulture and Tony will be there to give him some advice and maybe even some new tec to help beat the bad guy, probably whilst doing something quirky like playing golf on a New York rooftop or eating a hotdog whilst solving five rubix cube's at once.

And regardless of the minimal role he might play, Tony will show up in the marketing:

aAQFk1H.jpg

Like you said though, this is all just speculation and I may very well be wrong. For my part, like I've said in the past, I really, really hope they keep Tony's scenes down to a mimum in this. I'm not too fond of how integral Tony's been to this Spiderman's fledgingly superhero career and as a result he's already starting to feel a bit too like Tony' sidekick to me. I don't want anyone else stealing that Spidey spotlight.

1513357-6a00d8345158e369e200e553b4d79a8834_320wi.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom