• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah the reactions (both critical and financial) to Homecoming will be really interesting. The film has all the constituent elements for excellence, but anything could happen.

On the topic of Tony, I hope they'll be restrained enough to have his appearance be organic.

The Kree

Banned
It will
Be the Same like with Civil War. The movie made 500 million more then its predeccesor and everyone said it was a huge disappointment. I really like this threads, even while I am at a break currently because there is only superhero company war, but it I wasnt able to bend my mind how 500 million more then Winter Soldier who already did 700 million could be a disappointment.

Homecoming is already going to set to be measured at Avengers numbers, so that People will talk about a disappointment when it "only" makes a billion.

Who is everyone? Critics loved it. Audiences loved it. It made over a billion dollars. You need to learn to not be so emotionally attached to these movies that a handful of dissenting opinions in a forum thread cloud your vision and make you sad. It's silly.

Plus most of the people that say that they are disappointed in the film and express it over the internet are only a vocal minority at best. They all thought Civil War was going to be outgrossed by BvS and consider the latter the superior film of the 2016.

I'm certain Spider-Man: Homecoming will do fine, given that Marvel Studios has established itself as one of the best film studios of the early 21st century.

Update: Edited since BvS isn't a summer film. D'oh!

Plus most of the people that say that they are disappointed in the film and express it over the internet are only a vocal minority at best. They all thought Civil War was going to be outgrossed by BvS and consider the latter the superior film of the summer.

I'm certain Spider-Man: Homecoming will do fine, given that Marvel Studios has established itself as one of the best film studios of the early 21st century.

Up until the review bombshells dropped, I would have thought so too. A movie with Batman, Superman, AND Wonder Woman should have made at least $1 billion, maybe even more if it had only been good.

my only concern for Dr. Strange is the 3rd act, I don't want it to devolve into a generic Doomsday or Ultron battle. TDK used the KISS method and the whole film felt like a whole package.

my only concern for Dr. Strange is the 3rd act, I don't want it to devolve into a generic Doomsday or Ultron battle. TDK used the KISS method and the whole film felt like a whole package.
I wouldn't say TDK's 3rd act was KISS, but it certainly wasn't generic superhero spectacle. You had the Batman vs SWAT, the tension on the ferries, and Dent getting revenge, all intertwined

I would say TDK's 3rd act was KISS, but it certainly wasn't generic superhero spectacle. You had the Batman vs SWAT, the tension on the ferries, and Dent getting revenge, all intertwined

I agree, Nolan shyed away from big explosions for the final act and the movie turned out the better for it.

Doctor Strange needs a third act that isn't faceless minions and city destruction, because we've seen it so many times that it's become incredibly formulaic. Also, the character's abilities are so crazy that it'd be a huge waste of potential to make it your standard comic movie third act.

Doctor Strange needs a third act that isn't faceless minions and city destruction, because we've seen it so many times that it's become incredibly formulaic. Also, the character's abilities are so crazy that it'd be a huge waste of potential to make it your standard comic movie third act.

Dormmamu/Kaecillius/Shuma Gorath/Baron Mordo multiple realms fight hype!

Of course, this is all speculation and what not, but I think Marvel knows that Spidey needs to stand out on its own and become popular as a result of himself not because he's Tony 2.0. My guess is, Homecoming's just going to have three to four scenes with Stark, where he gives Spidey some R&D space, a speech on heroism after Peter gets his ass kicked, some other father-figure words of wisdom, and another random one. That's what I'd want at least.

My guess is that there will be at least 1 scene (if not a running gag) where Peter goes to talk to his Aunt May, and there is Tony Stark.

Peter sneaks in early morning, changes for school, goes to tell Aunt May he's running late, and who's standing on the other side of the bed getting dressed!? Tony Stark!!
who says. "Hey Peter"

Peter is running late to meet some friends for something, he hears some clanking in the kitchen and smells something delicious cooking. as he's running down stairs he shouts out "Hey, Aunt May, that smells delicious, whatcha makin!?".
Just as he get to the bottom of the stairs, he hears Aunt May say "Whats that Peter!?" from the living room on the right, so he then turns his head to the left towards the clanking in the kitchen, and who turns around in the kitchen holding a skillet and wearing an apron.
"Hey Peter"

It's Homecoming Game night, Peter as usual is running late. He just got home, rushed to his room to change real quick, but really needs to go to the bathroom. So he's impatiently waiting by the door for his Aunt May may to get out of the shower so he can use the bathroom. Knocks a few times and pleads with her to hurry up, but gets no response.
Just when he hears the water shut off, Peter turns his head towards the downstairs as he hears the back door downstairs shut, and his Aunt May call up to him "Peter is that you!?"
Just as Peter looks back towards the bathroom door, it swings open, and there is Tony wrapped in a towel and drying his hair with another and he brushes past Peter and say "Hey Peter".

My guess is that there will be at least 1 scene (if not a running gag) where Peter goes to talk to his Aunt May, and there is Tony Stark.

Peter sneaks in early morning, changes for school, goes to tell Aunt May he's running late, and who's standing on the other side of the bed getting dressed!? Tony Stark!!
who says. "Hey Peter"

Peter is running late to meet some friends for something, he hears some clanking in the kitchen and smells something delicious cooking. as he's running down stairs he shouts out "Hey, Aunt May, that smells delicious, whatta makin!?".
Just as he get to the bottom of the stairs, he hears Aunt May say "Whats that Peter!?" from the living room on the right, so he then turns his head to the left towards the clanking in the kitchen, and who turns around in the kitchen holding a skillet and wearing an apron.
"Hey Peter"

It's Homecoming Game night, Peter as usual is running late. He just got home, rushed to his room to change real quick, but really needs to go to the bathroom. So he's impatiently waiting by the door for his Aunt May may to get out of the shower so he use the bathroom. Knocks a few times and pleads with her to hurry up, but gets no response.
Just when he hears the water shut off, Peter turns his head towards the downstairs as he hears the back door downstairs shut, and his Aunt May call up to him "Peter is that you!?"
Just as Peter looks back towards the bathroom door, it swings open, and there is Tony wrapped in a towel and drying his hair with another and he brushes past Peter and say "Hey Peter".

While I hope there is a joke about it I don't want it to be as blatant as Tony standing next to the bed in the morning, that's way too much.

Honestly the trailers make it fit the formula to a T to where I half think it's deceptive and half hope it is deceptive.

I could have sworn that the latest trailer had a bit where it looked like a building was UN-crumbling, like Strange or somebody was reversing the destruction. That would be a fun quirk of a twist of that kind of destruction, somebody fights to reverse the tragedies as they also fight the big bad.

SpaceWolf

Banned

This is what we're most likely going to get.

In addition, Rachel McAdams will probably be running amongst the rubble, looking frightened.

Also at some point, Strange and Mads Mikkelsen will likely do something like this:

1587_1236831305553_450_265.jpg

And the battle will be over.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Stumbled across this interview with the Russo Brothers from a week ago, talking about Infinity War and this tidbit happened to catch my eye:

And while there are logistical hurdles to getting some of Marvel’s TV heroes to cross over into film, the Russos haven’t ruled out the possibility of Netflix super-types like Daredevil or Jessica Jones coming to the aid of Earth’s Mightiest Heroes.

“We do consider everyone,” said Anthony Russo. “We don’t want to get too specific about what’s going to happen with these movies. We want these movies to be a surprise for audiences.”

Holding-Hands-GIF.gif

The Kree

Banned
Luke, Danny, and Daisy. Everyone else is irrelevant. Mockingbird can stay home unless they got any extra blue super juice lying around.

Neoxon

Luke, Danny, and Daisy. Everyone else is irrelevant. Mockingbird can stay home unless they got any extra blue super juice lying around.
Daredevil & Kingpin could be of use for a Spider-Man movie. Hell, have Aunt May hire Jessica to track down Peter (I think they're doing a similar scenario for Miles in the recent comics, though replacing Aunt May with Miles' grandma). I'd say Coulson, but he seems adamant about not letting the Avengers know that he's still alive (even with SHIELD being legitimized, again.....which I hope is acknowledged in some way in the movies).

But yeah, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, & Quake could be the most useful of the MCU-TV heroes.....until Runaways happens (Nico Minoru & whatnot).

The Kree

Banned
The Russo's aren't directing Spider-Man. I don't want to see Coulson wasting space on screen that should be reserved for a character worth a damn.

Neoxon

The Russo's aren't directing Spider-Man. I don't want to see Coulson wasting space on screen that should be reserved for a character worth a damn.
I know, I'm just saying that the Hell's Kitchen guys could be useful in Spidey's movies.

As for Coulson, I'd love to see him in a movie again, but the show seems to be running on the idea of keeping the fact that he's still alive on the down-low (even going as far as to hire a new face of SHIELD). But I do agree that Luke Cage, Iron Fist, & Quake stand the best chance of anyone in terms of crossing over into the movies (maybe Daredevil, Jessica Jones, & Punisher, as well).

Dormmamu/Kaecillius/Shuma Gorath/Baron Mordo multiple realms fight hype!
Yeah, this ks the type of shit we need. That would look amazing on the big screen.
Honestly the trailers make it fit the formula to a T to where I half think it's deceptive and half hope it is deceptive.
I've been the same.
I could have sworn that the latest trailer had a bit where it looked like a building was UN-crumbling, like Strange or somebody was reversing the destruction. That would be a fun quirk of a twist of that kind of destruction, somebody fights to reverse the tragedies as they also fight the big bad.
That would be pretty cool.
This is what we're most likely going to get.

In addition, Rachel McAdams will probably be running amongst the rubble, looking frightened.

Also at some point, Strange and Mads Mikkelsen will likely do something like this:

1587_1236831305553_450_265.jpg

And the battle will be over.
s9W0ME8.gif

Jonogunn

Miles mickelsson's motive will be to cleanse this reality and build a better one. And then dies.

Out of all the one and done MCU villains I feel Ronin was an awesome character that they shouldn't have killed off

I have faith. After that amazing Ant-Man 3rd act and the crazy Microverse visuals we got out of that, I'm sure Doctor Strange will have a visually unique and exciting final fight.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Once upon a time I was convinced that the naysayers would be wrong and that the Marvel TV folks would show up in Infinity War at some point, even if it's just as mute pawns to join the battle scenes.

Then I gave up hope.

And now I really do wonder if we've been played. They can definitely keep things a secret until premiere time if they really want to, and I wonder if that will be the case for a couple heroes – particularly the Netflix folks.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Once upon a time I was convinced that the naysayers would be wrong and that the Marvel TV folks would show up in Infinity War at some point, even if it's just as mute pawns to join the battle scenes.

Then I gave up hope.

And now I really do wonder if we've been played. They can definitely keep things a secret until premiere time if they really want to, and I wonder if that will be the case for a couple heroes – particularly the Netflix folks.

It's the Russos in that interview specifically mentioning keeping things "a surprise" in direct response to being asked about the Netflix characters that gives me hope. That's a really curious response.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
It's the Russos in that interview specifically mentioning keeping things "a surprise" in direct response to being asked about the Netflix characters that gives me hope. That's a really curious response.
Guys, dont want to crush your hopes, but this is pr-talk for no. Its the same like the three-monthly "we are working on it".

SpaceWolf

Banned
Guys, dont want to crush your hopes, but this is pr-talk for no. Its the same like the three-monthly "we are working on it".

I remain confident. I feel there's something in the language there. Kevin Feige spoke the same way about Spiderman right before the Sony/Marvel deal was announced.

I'm raising my hopes impossibly high, until they inevitably get smashed into tiny little pieces on the ground, I guess is what i'm saying.

Miles mickelsson's motive will be to cleanse this reality and build a better one. And then dies.

Out of all the one and done MCU villains I feel Ronin was an awesome character that they shouldn't have killed off

Or, he does cleanse his reality, fucks it up, destroys it, and Strange and crew only survive by fleeing their reality for a new one. Which just so happens to be the one all the other movies were in.

All this talk of third acts, and after having watched Civil War for the first time since opening night, I am thankful that that one seemed to go smaller scale for act 3. They had the big spectacle to finish off act 2, then the finale went smaller and more personal.

After the film my wife commented that she just feels bad for Tony Stark. Ever since Iron Man 3 he has been on this rapid downward spiral of paranoia and guilt, which we both have liked seeing because it is interesting.

I do think it will make whatever heroic act he pulls off in Infinity War (or whatever the sequel is called) even better because he has been on the downward spiral for so long. Still clinging to my theory for the last few years of Tony sacrificing himself to save Cap's life, and it is the moment after that when Cap finally lifts Mjolnir and delivers an ass whooping for the ages.

All this talk of third acts, and after having watched Civil War for the first time since opening night, I am thankful that that one seemed to go smaller scale for act 3. They had the big spectacle to finish off act 2, then the finale went smaller and more personal.

After the film my wife commented that she just feels bad for Tony Stark. Ever since Iron Man 3 he has been on this rapid downward spiral of paranoia and guilt, which we both have liked seeing because it is interesting.

I do think it will make whatever heroic act he pulls off in Infinity War (or whatever the sequel is called) even better because he has been on the downward spiral for so long. Still clinging to my theory for the last few years of Tony sacrificing himself to save Cap's life, and it is the moment after that when Cap finally lifts Mjolnir and delivers an ass whooping for the ages.

The more movies we go through and the more time passes, the more a feeling of dread grows in me that they're gonna give "AVENGERS ASSEMBLE!!!!!!!!!" to Tony Stark instead of Cap. He basically had it in Age of Ultron in the third act when he was like, "Avengers! Time to work for a living!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom