• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Major spoilers for Agents of SHIELD crossover event for Dr Strange:

The new director of SHIELD goes public and announces the rebirth of SHIELD in a major press conference..... at the same unfortunate time as a worldwide reality distortion effect hits. Everyone is confused as to what is real and what is an illusion. In the next episode the new director is assassinated, and there is no lasting proof that the announcement he made was real.

#ItsAllConnected

Major spoilers for Agents of SHIELD crossover event for Dr Strange:

The new director of SHIELD goes public and announces the rebirth of SHIELD in a major press conference..... at the same unfortunate time as a worldwide reality distortion effect hits. Everyone is confused as to what is real and what is an illusion. In the next episode the new director is assassinated, and there is no lasting proof that the announcement he made was real.

#ItsAllConnected

lol

The Kree

Banned
This is either going to be the most expensive movie ever made, or the least studio profitable yet wildly successful movie ever as all these actors take a percentage of gross instead of large upfront paychecks.

I assume the main four can get points, and maybe Chris Pratt. Everybody else would just get a sum upfront. They're probably approaching or already at the point of diminishing returns. I bet it's going to be lighter on action and heavier on character work than we probably realize.

Jackson would probably do it for the catering and a nice hotel suite. He just loves to work all the damn time.

Litan

We seem to have been getting a lot of Infinity War casting announcements recently.

Fun times ahead, I feel.
Am I the only one who feels like Hugo Weaving suddenly talking about the Red Skull role strenghtens the theory of villains being trapped in the Stones and coming back alongside Thanos?

SpaceWolf

Banned
Am I the only one who feels like Hugo Weaving suddenly talking about the Red Skull role strenghtens the theory of villains being trapped in the Stones and coming back alongside Thanos?

I think that theory that Thanos is going to use the Infinity Gaunlet to bring back all The Avengers former foes (Red Skull, Malekith, iron Monger, Ronan) for some kind of fight sequence in Infinity War as a means of getting them to confront their demons has always been a popular fan theory, although I'm not sure it has any precedence in the original comc book run.

Fury seems like the easiest way to bring in the TV characters.
If they couldn't manage Fitz and Simmons instead of random SHIELD dude No. 274 to be sitting in the helicarrier when he says "I got this back with the help of some old friends" in AOU, why would they do it now?
I think that theory that Thanos is going to use the Infinity Gaunlet to bring back all The Avengers former foes (Red Skull, Malekith, iron Monger, Ronan) for some kind of fight sequence in Infinity War as a means of getting them to confront their demons has always been a popular fan theory, although I'm not sure it has any precedence in the original comc book run.
A lot of things don't have precedence in the comics I.e. SHIELD = Hydra or, yknow, Civil War being good.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
A lot of things don't have precedence in the comics I.e. SHIELD = Hydra or, yknow, Civil War being good.

tumblr_mu7it2bkr21ser9m9o1_1280.jpg

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Do we have a complete list which characters are confirmed for Infinity War?

'Confirmed' in the sense that they've been mentioned to be in the film by a writer, director, or the actor, I think this is the list:

Iron Man
Captain America
Thor
Hulk
Scarlet Witch
Star Lord
Vision
Dr. Strange
Winter Soldier
Loki

But then we can add obvious assumptions, and from what other actors have said (like Vin mentioning the Guardians are in IW). Also this wikipedia page:

Black Widow
Hawkeye
Gamora
Drax
Rocket Raccoon
Groot
Nebula
Captain Marvel
Nick Fury
Erik Selvig
Spider-Man
Ant-Man
Wasp

There's probably some obvious omissions there. As of now, the only person we've actually seen on set is Josh Brolin // Thanos.

It doesn't but it's absolutely a easy way to give us the "team of superheroes VS team of supervillains" battle that will inevitably be the hilight of Infinity War or whatever it's sequel will be called.

There's definitely a Masters of Evil type team that will be formed for this I think. Whether it's old villains coming back, bringing in The Black Order or something else entirely.

strafer

'Confirmed' in the sense that they've been mentioned to be in the film by a writer, director, or the actor, I think this is the list:

Iron Man
Captain America
Thor
Hulk
Scarlet Witch
Star Lord
Vision
Dr. Strange
Winter Soldier
Loki

But then we can add obvious assumptions, and from what other actors have said (like Vin mentioning the Guardians are in IW). Also this wikipedia page:

Black Widow
Hawkeye
Gamora
Drax
Rocket Raccoon
Groot
Nebula
Captain Marvel
Nick Fury
Erik Selvig
Spider-Man
Ant-Man
Wasp

There's probably some obvious omissions there. As of now, the only person we've actually seen on set is Josh Brolin // Thanos.

Thanks! Man what a crazy cast.

Kalentan

So do you guys still think Loki will be "evil" or do you think they will try and redeem him to make him a sort of anti-hero or maybe neutral? Maybe it's just me but that's the impression I get with how they will lead his character, even after the Thor 2 reveal.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Thanks! Man what a crazy cast.

We're just getting started, probably.

How much money spent on actor salary alone

Probably not as much as you might think, considering appearing in this film was already worked into their contracts and most of their roles might not amount to more than fleeting cameo appearances.

It's like with Robert Downey Junior's cameo in The Incredible Hulk. He wasn't paid to appear, Downey just did it as a gesture of goodwill to Marvel.

The Kree

Banned
So do you guys still think Loki will be "evil" or do you think they will try and redeem him to make him a sort of anti-hero or maybe neutral? Maybe it's just me but that's the impression I get with how they will lead his character, even after the Thor 2 reveal.

Loki is a son of a bitch and he has to die at some point.

BLACKLAC

seems pretty clear Loki has been doing what he has been doing since Avengers because he sees the writing on the wall and is trying to mitigate the damage to Asgard.

tomtom94

We're just getting started, probably.

Probably not as much as you might think, considering appearing in this film was already worked into their contracts and most of their roles might not amount to more than fleeting cameo appearances.

It's like with Robert Downey Junior's cameo in The Incredible Hulk. He wasn't paid to appear, Downey just did it as a gesture of goodwill to Marvel.

Didn't Downey Jr. get paid something like $40m for Age of Ultron?

tomtom94

Sure, but he obviously played a substantial role in that as opposed to just making a cameo appearance.

Yeah, and he'll play a substantial role in Infinity War.

Marvel have plans to keep actors' salaries down (mostly by recruiting up-and-comers on long contracts), but Infinity War is going to be fucking expensive to shoot from a salary perspective. Could genuinely be the most expensive film ever.

The Kree

Banned
The length of the contract doesn't matter too much because they still renegotiate salaries for every new movie anyway. Prices always go up. Downey and Johansson and the most expensive right now. Pratt is probably on his way up there.

Loki is a son of a bitch and he has to die at some point.

If youre familiar with my posts on this you'll know I'm an advocate of Loki getting a redemption arc going in Ragnarok, only to be killed by Thanos at the end of that movie or in Infinity War.

Loki has successfully usurped the throne, and while that sounds bad on paper I think he does genuinely want to prove hed be a good King. Disguised as Odin things will probably appear to be business as usual but we know hes doing some shady dealings with Hela, maybe offering her a window into the other realms likely in favor of more power. Loki being Loki, he will eventually get in over his head when he realizes Hela is playing him and intends to kill everyone in Asgard to imprison their souls.

I'm hoping he does make the last minute turn in hopes of redeeming himself and fixing his own massive fuckup, and what I really want is for him to be the only one capable of stopping Ragnarok, only for Thanos to show up in the eleventh hour for his Infinity Stone and to take Loki's head for failing him before. Cue Ragnarok, Asgard is destroyed and Thor and Loki are both killed to be resurrected after Infinity War for the final battle with Thanos.

Completely fanwanking here but that's the kind of arc I hope we get from Loki in the run up to Phase 3's conclusion. I'm also gonna be pretty disappointed if Asgard still stands after that movie.

Alternatively, I can see Loki siding with Thanos, as a desperate bargain to save his own neck, only to trick him and be one of the keys to defeating him in the end.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Completely fanwanking here but that's the kind of arc I hope we get from Loki in the run up to Phase 3's conclusion. I'm also gonna be pretty disappointed if Asgard still stands after that movie.

Alternatively, I can see Loki siding with Thanos, as a desperate bargain to save his own neck, only to trick him and be one of the keys to defeating him in the end.

I'm completely with you here. Asgard will get destroyed because of Loki's incompetence and because he pissed off Thanos, and from there he'll have some sort of turn/become an anti-hero, only to redeem himself and then die.

Loki is more misguided than pure evil anyways, and it only makes sense for him to realize he can be the hero only for it to be too late for him after what hes done

The big way that they can establish the threat of Thanos is for him to show up and immediately take out Loki. It needs to be understood that if you fail or betray Thanos, that is a death sentence.

I'm completely with you here. Asgard will get destroyed because of Loki's incompetence and because he pissed off Thanos, and from there he'll have some sort of turn/become an anti-hero, only to redeem himself and then die.

And because of the fact Loki reincarnates, Loki can be reborn as a woman or whatever Marvel desires. It's perfect!

The Kree

Banned
Does the cost of an actor even cut into the actual film budget itself?

Yeah, that's part of it. It doesn't factor in marketing costs though, which would bring it up to like half a billion. That's why these movies are usually so creatively safe, they need literally every kind of person to go see them to make the money back.

tomtom94

The first Infinity War trailer is just going to be a list of names Expendables-style, I'd have thought. The question is will they save the money shot where they all team up against Thanos for the movie this time or not.

(spoiler: I doubt it)

The Kree

Banned
You would think that, but you'll see posters and billboards and commercials everywhere anyway. Plus they gotta pay for shit like flying the actors around to do interviews, lots of stuff you wouldn't even think of related to marketing.

Da-Kid

Yeah, that's part of it. It doesn't factor in marketing costs though, which would bring it up to like half a billion. That's why these movies are usually so creatively safe, they need literally every kind of person to go see them to make the money back.
Well the Avengers movies are guaranteed billion+ dollar movies at this point. Making like 5 times their money back. I expect Infinity War to break records.And I don't think Marvel is oppose to making a half billion dollar movie at this point. It's not a bad bet.

There is a decent chance Infinity War breaks $2b, Disney would be smart to invest what they feel is necessary to make that happen.

Even if it isnt going to be quite that huge, it will likely be their most successful film to date by a fairly wide margin.

strafer

There is a decent chance Infinity War breaks $2b, Disney would be smart to invest what they feel is necessary to make that happen.

Even if it isnt going to be quite that huge, it will likely be their most successful film to date by a fairly wide margin.

Absolutely, the movie is going to make an insane amount of money.

When Star Wars just almost got over the 2bn there is no way Infinity War gets it. Sorry, no way.

Star wars has a massive audience but it was the first movie in some time, coming off the prequels, and doesn't have massive pull in the Asian markets. I think Infinity War has a chance because there has been all this build up and it is established as a big earner in Asia markets - especially if they pander like they did in Iron Man 3 and Age of Ultron.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom