• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Kree

Banned
Propose them to take a smaller salary in exchange for a portion of profits ?

Giving away points would actually be more expensive. That's how Downey got paid 50 million for Avengers - I think maybe they underestimated how much money that movie was going to make. Now he's never gonna take less than that. They can't risk giving everybody the same opportunity to command that kind of salary.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Currently watching Daredevil Season 2 in anticipation for watching Luke Cage tomorrow, only to realize how utterly fucked up the Daredevil timeline is.

In Daredevil Season One, we get a flashback of Matt meeting Foggy for the first time at law school during fall of 2010. According to the show, they study for about 4 years before setting up their own practice in Hells Kitchen, which is where the first season kicks off.

However, in Season 2 we're treated to a flashback of a meeting with Elektra for the first time, which is explicetly stated to have occurred 10 years ago, while Matt is directly mentioned to still be at law school with Foggy.

The Daredevil timeline makes no damn sense now. How old even are these characters?

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Currently watching Daredevil Season 2 in anticipation for watching Luke Cage tomorrow, only to realize how utterly fucked up the Daredevil timeline is.

In Daredevil Season One, we get a flashback of Matt meeting Foggy for the first time at law school during fall of 2010. According to the show, they study for about 4 years before setting up their own practice in Hells Kitchen, which is where the first season kicks off.

However, in Season 2 we're treated to a flashback of a meeting with Elektra for the first time, which is explicetly stated to have occurred 10 years ago, while Matt is directly mentioned to still be at law school with Foggy.

The Daredevil timeline makes no damn sense now. How old even are these characters?
You sure it was the fall of 2010? Does it say that specifically? I can't remember. I do remember when that scene happened I thought about the time line a bit and how it juxtaposed to what was happening in the rest of the MCU at the time, hoping they'd mention it.

SpaceWolf

Banned
You sure it was the fall of 2010? Does it say that specifically?

It does, yeah. You see Foggy registering for the 2010 classes the day they first met. Yet at the same time, you see him chilling out at a party with Matt in the Season 2 flashback, which we're directly informed happened a decade ago.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
It does, yeah. You see Foggy registering for the 2010 classes.
Ah ok. Yeah, that is a bit weird. When did they have time to work at the other firm before opening their own then?

I'm going to say that 2010 date was an error in season 1 and should be ignored. Go with the season 2 timeline as it makes way more sense.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Ah ok. Yeah, that is a bit weird. When did they have time to work at the other firm before opening their own then?

I'm going to say that 2010 date was an error in season 1 and should be ignored. Go with the season 2 timeline as it makes way more sense.

For the sake of my own sanity, I'll try to follow your advice. Re-watching Season 2 and while all this action stuff is going on, I'm just trying to work out the timeline like...

Math-Galifianakis.gif

GAMEPROFF

Banned
10 years is super long for studying law... My brother just told me that you have to be super stupid to even need to spend 6 years on that...

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
10 years is super long for studying law... My brother just told me that you have to be super stupid to even need to spend 6 years on that...
Well wait, let's say they're 30 years old, they would've started college in 2004 and got out in 2008. If they are doing law, wouldn't they need another few for law school? That could mean they were done with school in 2010 and then interned/worked at that fancy law firm for 5 years until they started Nelson and Murdock in 2015.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
The timeline was perfect, too: 2010 Lawschool start, 3 years of lawschool, a year or so at the fancy law firm and boom, they're opening Nelson and Murdock in 2015.

Da-Kid

You either weren't paying attention or missed an episode.

After graduating, the pair got work as interns for a large corporate company called Landman and Zack during this time Nelson had a brief sexual relationship with his co-worker Marci Stahl. During their time at the law-firm, Nelson and Matt Murdock were left to work in a tiny storage room which had been converted into an office while they worked on law-suit cases involving innocent people who were being counter-sued by large selfish companies like the Roxxon Oil Corporation, ruining their lives and taking all the money they had earned.

They left that Firm then made their own Firm. They were there for a while, implied years.

SpaceWolf

Banned
You either weren't paying attention or missed an episode.

I watched every episode and gave each one my undivided attention actually, thank you.

I'm very aware they both went off to work at another firm. But it's implied they both throughly hated working there and didn't stick around at the firm very long at all when they basically decided it wasn't for them.

Where is it ever implied they worked there for "years"? And even if they DID stay there for a number of years...how would that still make the timeline make sense if Matt and Foggy started in law school in 2010, with the meeting of Elektra (which took place aftewards) explicitly taking place 10 years ago? The show is supposed to be set in 2016...not 2020.

Guess you weren't paying attention to my post or missed a few of my points.

Da-Kid

I watched every episode and gave each one my undivided attention actually, thank you.

I'm very aware they both went off to work at another firm. But it's implied they both throughly hated working there and didn't stick around at the firm very long at all when they basically decided it wasn't for them.

Where is it ever implied they worked there for "years"? And even if they DID stay there for a number of years...how would that still make the timeline make sense if Matt and Foggy started in law school in 2010, with the meeting of Elektra (which took place aftewards) explicitly taking place 10 years ago? The show is supposed to be set in 2016...not 2020.

Guess you weren't paying attention to my post or missed a few of my points.
I thought you didn't know they went to a firm before their own. The timeline would still not be right either how long they stayed there which I assumed like two years. No need for passive aggression.

Jonogunn

When Vision was making paprikash why would he need to read to read the recipe from a piece of paper when he has all the information in his mind.

/nitpicking bordem

The Kree

Banned
Yeah, maybe a bit of that too. I immediately thought the same thing you did on my first watch, but if he's not holding the paper it's not as funny.

Luke Cage is so good. The attention to detail and the themes and my god the MCU weaving so seamlessly

This might be the first show where you are starting to see a somewhat believable post superhero world without derailing his own story

strafer

Luke Cage is so good. The attention to detail and the themes and my god the MCU weaving so seamlessly

This might be the first show where you are starting to see a somewhat believable post superhero world without derailing his own story

I know right. For someone who doesn't know shit about Luke Cage I'm hooked.

Already on Episode 9.

I know right. For someone who doesn't know shit about Luke Cage I'm hooked.

Already on Episode 9.

I Like the balancing act Im seeing is what I expected from the promise of cross media MCU

The themes that have been built on in Civil War, Agents of Shield and now the Netflix stuff is all coming together

THey all have to live in this new world and find a way to keep making it feel real. Im not exactly sure WHERE and When the Netflix is in the Grand Timeline but Im not worried about overly sweating those details

Im having a lot of fun seeing the ground level exploration of what it would be like to have a super powered person trying to get by in your neighborhood along with all the other great things this show brings to the table

Daredevil only had some little references, and JJ had that one episode, but here the links to the wider MCU world permeate the entire show. It really does feel like street level MCU

Daredevil only had some little references, and JJ had that one episode, but here the links to the wider MCU world permeate the entire show. It reslly does feel like street level MCU

It just keeps going DEEPER man

THe implications in Episode 11 alone.... UGGHHH Dude if this is the level of storytelling we can expect going forward?

So far Luke Cage is up there with the promise of how and MCU can be built alongside the awesome stuff they put in the movies

Im on the edge of my seat right now. I wonder how much foreshadowing is going on here

curb

Banned
I'm two episodes into Luke Cage and I already like his character way more than in Jessica Jones. After JJ, I was really skeptical that they could do a whole show around his character but I'm very happy to be proven wrong. Can't wait to watch a couple more tomorrow.

Whew

Just finished

Ummm.. Probably going to see a lot of people citing the Netflix curse on this one. 13 episodes might be too long for these shows

Not saying it was bad. Its just that I can see the criticisms coming from a mile away and they will be valid for sure

Still an amazing show

Whew

Just finished

Ummm.. Probably going to see a lot of people citing the Netflix curse on this one. 13 episodes might be too long for these shows

Not saying it was bad. Its just that I can see the criticisms coming from a mile away and they will be valid for sure

Still an amazing show

I dunno, it was maybe an episode too long. Take out an hour worth of events, condense the rest, and the pacing was just fine

I dunno, it was maybe an episode too long. Take out an hour worth of events, condense the rest, and the pacing was just fine

I think the largest issue is trying to keep villians in play and maintaining a compelling story at all times

Unfortunately this show suffers from overly circular confrontations and you end up with a lot of long scenes in the same areas about how they got the bad guy, he got away, caught them again, complain about the system etc etc etc

It could benefit from a much cleaner through line to the conclusion as far as Im concerned but hey I loved it and there are just so many great stand out moments

El Topo

I honestly feel like the MCU shows should adapt the Farscape approach of having two/three episode plots with an overarching story for the season.

The only way I would accept them bringing Pietro back is if they put their hashtag-itsallconnected money where their mouth is and inflict T.A.H.I.T.I. on him, but it also makes him the arrogant guy that he is from the comics where everything really does move in slow-motion for him.

Neoxon

They can't bring Pietro back. Think of the stakes...THE STAKES!!
That's the thing, reviving Pietro (either via an Infinity Stone, TAHITI, or whatever) would spur the "there's no stakes in the MCU" argument. But to be fair, it's not far off from the stuff that happens in the comics.

Speaking of TAHITI, didn't the last of the serum get destroyed during the events of SHIELD Season 1?

Jonogunn

I want Pietro back as much as the next person but there's already a huge lack of deaths to good guys in the MCU. Either leave him dead or whedon never should have killed him at all

GAMEPROFF

Banned
That's the thing, reviving Pietro (either via an Infinity Stone, TAHITI, or whatever) would spur the "there's no stakes in the MCU" argument. But to be fair, it's not far off from the stuff that happens in the comics.
Nobody gives a shit about this. Seriously.

Also I bet money with you that in a couple of years DC wont have killed anyone, too:

Neoxon

Nobody gives a shit about this. Seriously.

Also I bet money with you that in a couple of years DC wont have killed anyone, too:
True, but it'd be the vocal few that would constantly bring it up. Though that's why I mentioned that revivals are commonplace in comics, as a testament to how such revivals wouldn't be that far off in the MCU (they already did it with Coulson).

Though I do think that Joss Whedon fucked up in that regard, & I'd love to see what the Russos would do with Pietro if they revived him for Infinity War.

I'm only up to Ep5 of Luke Cage, but yeah all the references to
Hammer Tech and Seagate tie this series in with IM2 and IM3/'Hail to the King' in such a nicely done, subtle way.
Really feels like it's much more cohesively in the MCU than DD or JJ. This kind of thing was EXACTLY what I wanted. We just now need Avengers tower in the BG and a Spidey reference.

I'm only up to Ep5 of Luke Cage, but yeah all the references to
Hammer Tech and Seagate tie this series in with IM2 and IM3/'Hail to the King' in such a nicely done, subtle way.
Really feels like it's much more cohesively in the MCU than DD or JJ. This kind of thing was EXACTLY what I wanted. We just now need Avengers tower in the BG and a Spidey reference.
Cmon Marvel man splurge on that CG for the Avengers tower :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom