• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
giphy.gif
Looks like a great movie to get high while watching

Not thread worthy, but I just saw thor dark world and thought it was pretty ok. Like way better than the first thor movie. I know it's a meme around here but what am I missing?

GAF being GAF lol, movie is so inoffensively middle-of-the-road, but around these parts it might as well be the worst thing ever committed to film.

So, uh, came back from the IMAX screening of it, in 3D. And....

Wow.

That's really it, wow. Like, I know how much Feige was hyping up the Magical Mystery Tour of it all, but wow. It's stunning. It's literally like seeing Ditko's crazy technicolor fantasies come to life. It's nothing short of stunning.

Tickets are also on sale today, if you don't know. Snagged my seat while in line for this. It was also clear that the 15 minute preview was really a final trailer with extended bits of scenes. The MCU humor is still there, and the film looks stunning in terms of special effects.

Oh, and definitely saw something that basically confirms that
____Dormmammu_____
is in this movie.

____Dormmammu_____
is in this movie.

Saw the preview, and
while the Dark Dimension was mentioned, the giant otherdimensional creature we saw glimpses of didn't look much of anything like Dormammu to me. But maybe his head is on fire in another scene or whatnot.

Saw the preview, and
while the Dark Dimension was mentioned, the giant otherdimensional creature we saw glimpses of didn't look much of anything like Dormammu to me. But maybe his head is on fire in another scene or whatnot.

Yeah, it might not be him, but a giant otherdimensional being plus the fact Dan Harmon accidentally revealed Dormammu or some other thing was in the movie just points me to him. Otherwise, it could very well be Eternity or some other cosmic power.

So, uh, came back from the IMAX screening of it, in 3D. And....

Wow.

That's really it, wow. Like, I know how much Feige was hyping up the Magical Mystery Tour of it all, but wow. It's stunning. It's literally like seeing Ditko's crazy technicolor fantasies come to life. It's nothing short of stunning.

Tickets are also on sale today, if you don't know. Snagged my seat while in line for this. It was also clear that the 15 minute preview was really a final trailer with extended bits of scenes. The MCU humor is still there, and the film looks stunning in terms of special effects.

____Dormmammu_____
is in this movie.

Can you comment outside of visuals?

Neoxon

I just got back from the preview (they got the actual IMAX 3D footage at the last second). IT WAS INSANE!!!!

There was one song that was playing during the hospital moment at the beginning that I need to know about so I can get it on iTunes. Other than that, they showed the dangers of texting & driving (which is leads to the iconic car accident). They jumped a bit to Strange meeting the Ancient One, then they went full-on Steve Ditko on us (it was the footage from the featuette & beyond, holy shit). Afterwards it showed Strange meeting Wong trying to get some books, which led to a funny exchange. From there, it became something more akin to an average trailer......until they showed a chase scene across New York with Mads Mikkelsen's character (one of the guys influenced by the Dark Dimension, something that was confirmed in the trailer) & his goons against Doctor Strange & Baron Mordo which looked absolutely nuts. We also saw a face that I initially thought was Dormammu, but it could be something else entirely. And after a clip of Doctor Strange being sent over the stairs of the Sanctum Sanctorum by Mads' character, he floats up via the Cloak of Levitation & conjures a magic whip (which Mordo did conjure as a rope during a clip in the trailer-esque part), the whole 「B I T E T H E D U S T ! ! ! !」scene with the Time Stone played out.

In short, you guys have to see the film in IMAX 3D. It was confirmed before the footage began that around an hour of the movie was filmed in IMAX (which equates to half of the film if the 2 hour run-time posted by Fandango is accurate).

Can you comment outside of visuals?

I think a couple of posters basically summarized what the extra footage contained story-wise. A couple points that weren't mentioned, but are really just minor things.

- Nurse and Strange had a thing before he became the Sorceror.
- Rhodey gets mentioned as a candidate for Strange to operate on.
- He's broke by the time he gets to the Ancient One's place and the whole sequence with "Teach me" and him floating outside his body is a small fraction of how trippy the whole thing is.
- New York gets pretty fucked up by Kaecillius, who also comes to Nepal to do battle with the ancient one / get some book for the Dark Dimension.
- The visuals are stunning beyond belief. Seriously, it's something else.

Neoxon

I forgot to mention,
the Stan Lee cameo is in the New York chase scene. He was in the bus reading what looked like a comic (don't quote me on the "reading a comic" part).

AMUSIX

Didn't see it posted, but yesterday Scott Derrickson did a short AMA over at r/marvelstudios
https://www.reddit.com/r/marvelstudios/comments/56w0q6/hey_everyone_reading_through_everything_will/

Not a lot of solid info, but definitely some nice indicators of what he aimed for with the movie:
scott derrickson said:
There is no straight horror in the movie, but it is a bit darker and more serious than other Marvel movies. I think the connection between my horror films and this film is the balance of the supernatural/fantastical with very realistic, grounded characters.

El Topo

Bummer, I was really hoping they'd do something similar to how they handled her Origin in EMH. That is, introduce Carol in a movie, and have the event that gives her powers in that movie. Then, in hers, it's the "6 months later" story of her coming to grips with living with powers.

I assume that means neither Wasp nor Captain Marvel will be in the next Avengers movie?

Evangeline Lilly said A4

Well, technically, it's either. Since Infinity War dropped the Part 1 and Part 2, we can assume the May 2019 Avengers is Avengers 4, but it's likely still meant to be the second part of the conflict spawning out of IW, so it can be seen as A3 Pt. 2.

I don't think it matters though.

curb

Banned
Got my Doctor Strange for the Friday and I'm rather excited. I'll probably go dark soon since there's stuff from the preview floating around.

guek

Banned
Listening to some video impressions of Doc Strange...... Marvel crushed it. This is huge.

You mean of the preview footage, right?

If this movie delivers on the promise, I could definitely see it being "the" movie of the holidays until Star Wars hits.

tbh though, I'm expecting both Fantastic Beasts and Moana to be merely decent at best

BLACKLAC

Q: Anyway, my question. Doctor Strange is Kevin Feige's favourite Marvel hero so it's a no brainer that he'd want something faithful. What were some of his personal requests for the film?

A: He doesn't really make requests, but offers insightful feedback and criticism throughout the process. He supports his writers and directors and empowers them creatively, and knows when something isn't good enough or when something isn't working.

😊 😊 😊

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom