• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonogunn

Ronan is the biggest waste IMO.

He was portrayed to perfection and knowing he has an anti-hero arch in the comics makes me more upset at the potential he has.

Hell every time I see an actor talk about their villain role in a movie before it comes out I just tune out. Because no matter how interesting they want to make them sound they never end up that way on screen and is then killed off.

TDLink

Better than Malekith, worse than Yellowjacket!

I thought Yellowjacket was actually pretty good. He was another evil businessman and didn't get a ton of screen time, but he did a lot with what little he had. Plus he was actually menacing, and had a memorable final fight. Plus they incorporated as much of "Ultron" as they could into his character, which was a nice touch to give Hank a similar arc. Not sure how they could have done him much better.

Ronan is the biggest waste IMO.

He was portrayed to perfection and knowing he has an anti-hero arch in the comics makes me more upset at the potential he has.

Hell every time I see an actor talk about their villain role in a movie before it comes out I just tune out. Because no matter how interesting they want to make them sound they never end up that way on screen and is then killed off.

This is usually a product of actors creating more intricate backstories and character motivations for themselves and/or a Director/Writer telling them things about the character which aren't in the film. So from the actor's perspective the character really does have a lot of depth, which is necessary to give a good performance, but that isn't always apparent in the end product to literally anyone else.

Occasionally there really are more scenes with them that wind up on the cutting room floor, but I think that's almost always a less important reason than the one I just mentioned.

Regarding Ronan specifically, I am still hoping for the "all the badguys in the Infinity Gem movies got sucked into the gems and will be brought back when Thanos uses them" theory to come true.

Ronan didn't reform until Annihilation/after the Infinity Gauntlet story anyways...so if they are going in that direction for Phase 4 and beyond they could totally still do that plot.

Saw the movie earlier today.

Yeah, he's absolutely wasted, if not more so than previous Marvel efforts.

It's maddening.

Jesus christ, ughhhhh. Man what the fuck is wrong is Feige that he doesn't see that huge weakness they have. Hell marvel having terrible villains is a running joke at this point.

Doctor Strange was supposed to be Feige's baby, his one passion project.... And apparently it just follows the marvel formula, terrible villain included. IDK breh's

Having expectations of MCU villains, lol.

(in before someone goes butbutbutbutbut Netflix lolz)

I was secretely hoping he was playing Doctor Doom, and that Fox and marvel came to a deal and kept it secret.

why don't more reviewers take marvel to task with their WOAT villains? bad villains should take off points from the review score. Wasting mikkelson is a damn near sin.

I mean are they going to job Thanos too? I have a headache from this shit now, ridiculous.

BLACKLAC

why don't more reviewers take marvel to task with their WOAT villains?

Not everyone agrees he was bad. A quote from a reviewer:

"And then we have Kaecilius. Unlike underdeveloped, prosthetic-heavy supervillains like Red Skull (Captain America: The First Avenger), Malekith (Thor: The Dark World) or Ronan the Accuser (Guardians of the Galaxy), Kaecilius is an antagonist with a sympathetic backstory, cogent motivations and philosophical speeches that even, however briefly, sway Stephen Strange himself. Plus, Mikkelson’s sparkly, cosmic eyeshadow is so on point."
http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/23/13366622/doctor-strange-review

It seems at worst he's serviceable.

That would be a faithful adaptation.

10 years for Farmer Thanos, lmao
thanos3.gif

IHaveIce

Banned
I saw it yesterday loved it.
You can argue mads was wasted yeah,
but he also wasn't supposed to be the big bad of the movie

Man just imagine if Kacelius was secretly Victor Von Doom who is working with the ancient one and learning magic to save his mother from hell. But he was corrupted along the way.

Maaaaaaaan

It's no secret that the Russos have the best Marvel villains by far. Pierce, Winter Soldier, Zemo, all really well written and reasonably developed. They're behind Thanos, and they also get to work with the only barely comparable villain in Loki.

It's kind of embarrassing to get such a high-tier actor and not utilise them propery. I can only hope Watiti does a little better with Blanchett.

someone needs to pull Feige to the side and tell him this villain shit isn't acceptable. Either he doesn't care or doesn't realize how terrible his villains are. There is no more Perlmutter to blame here, it's all on Feige.

I'm also irritated because derrickson said repeatedly how Kaecillus was going to be compelling over and over... lies, all lies, damn shame.

someone needs to pull Feige to the side and tell him this villain shit isn't acceptable. Either he doesn't care or doesn't realize how terrible his villains are. There is no more Perlmutter to blame here, it's all on Feige.

I'm also irritated because derrickson said repeatedly how Kaecillus was going to be compelling over and over... lies, all lies, damn shame.

Here's a novel idea: Watch the movie yourself before passing judgement and head over to the spoiler thread so people who want to discuss this don't spoil it for you and others. I saw the movie yesterday but this is still pretty annoying.

El Topo

I'd say Rachel McAdams has it much worse in the movie. Mikkelsen was okay. Certainly more memorable than that elf or man-in-business-suit-#12.

I thought this thread is like a spoiler thread due to the title.. will edit it.

Just saying if you watched the movie you could see mads more like just a magician on the other side not really presented with evil goals

Uhhh sure but be reasonable, maybe don't post open unmarked spoilers regarding a movie that isn't even out in all territories yet.

jph139

Yeah, I remember the policy for the MCU thread being unmarked spoilers for all media that's been released. I remember checking out once Civil War was out in Europe.

(I don't really give much of a shit about Strange, though, so bring 'em on!)

And yeah, not even remotely shocked they wasted Mads. I could see Malekith written all over his funky, crumbly face. Better they threw away some no-name dude than, like, Dormammu, at least. I still weep for Ronan.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Yeah, I remember the policy for the MCU thread being unmarked spoilers for all media that's been released. I remember checking out once Civil War was out in Europe.

(I don't really give much of a shit about Strange, though, so bring 'em on!)

And yeah, not even remotely shocked they wasted Mads. I could see Malekith written all over his funky, crumbly face. Better they threw away some no-name dude than, like, Dormammu, at least. I still weep for Ronan.

I'm struggling to contain myself right now.

As mediocre as other villains can get, no one will ever have it as bad as Ronan. This is a character with a deep complicated history and a fantastic anti-hero/redemption arc, but in GOTG he is reduced to an angry terrorist zealot who doesn't really get to do much other than bark orders and look menacing. He doesn't even do well as a setup to a bigger and badder villain (Thanos), they don't even get to fight before Ronan is tossed to the side.

This is a character they could have actually made a movie about eventually and they completely wasted him, and a great actor for him.

guek

Banned
why don't more reviewers take marvel to task with their WOAT villains? bad villains should take off points from the review score. Wasting mikkelson is a damn near sin.

I mean are they going to job Thanos too? I have a headache from this shit now, ridiculous.

WOAT villains? c'mon, dude

As mediocre as other villains can get, no one will ever have it as bad as Ronan. This is a character with a deep complicated history and a fantastic anti-hero/redemption arc, but in GOTG he is reduced to an angry terrorist zealot who doesn't really get to do much other than bark orders and look menacing. He doesn't even do well as a setup to a bigger and badder villain (Thanos), they don't even get to fight before Ronan is tossed to the side.

This is a character they could have actually made a movie about eventually and they completely wasted him, and a great actor for him.

Yeah, out of all the wasted villains, Ronan was the only one I was really pissed about. Doesn't help that I'm an Inhumans fan and he has a long complicated history with them. I feel like outside of Loki, the MCU hasn't really thought about the long term potential for their villains which is really weird because Loki came early. They should have learned from that, but they seem to be totally ignoring the possibilities there.

Yeah, out of all the wasted villains, Ronan was the only one I was really pissed about. Doesn't help that I'm an Inhumans fan and he has a long complicated history with them. I feel like outside of Loki, the MCU hasn't really thought about the long term potential for their villains which is really weird because Loki came early. They should have learned from that, but they seem to be totally ignoring the possibilities there.

I wonder if all those actors are hoping to be the next Loki when they signed on lol.

I liked Yellowjacket because I thought it was brilliant how they made him and Scott mirror images of "the son Hank Pym could have had." He reflected Comic Pym's history with mental illness in a very cool way, of course with Pym being Yellowjacket originally.

The character himself was yeah, a disturbed business dude who wanted to make a more powerful version of the hero's tech. Not original at all within the mcu, but I like the actor, I like how fucking crazy evil he was (the over the top cuteness of lambs I found hilarious, and the awful goop gun thing), but it's that aspect of his character I appreciated the most.

TDLink

It's no secret that the Russos have the best Marvel villains by far. Pierce, Winter Soldier, Zemo, all really well written and reasonably developed. They're behind Thanos, and they also get to work with the only barely comparable villain in Loki.

It's kind of embarrassing to get such a high-tier actor and not utilise them propery. I can only hope Watiti does a little better with Blanchett.

With how much is going on in that film I guarantee you he won't. We already know there are a couple other antagonists (Skurge and The Grandmaster) who will be sapping away screentime from Blanchett in addition to the fact that Surtur will be the big final fight. Doesn't leave a lot of room for any of them to be particularly well developed.

I thought this thread is like a spoiler thread due to the title.. will edit it.

Just saying if you watched the movie you could see mads more like just a magician on the other side not really presented with evil goals

It absolutely is. The movie is already out in Europe, it is definitely acceptable to talk about it in this topic. It's a nice thing to do to wait for it to be out everywhere before posting open spoilers, but you don't have to.

With how much is going on in that film I guarantee you he won't. We already know there are a couple other antagonists (Skurge and The Grandmaster) who will be sapping away screentime from Blanchett in addition to the fact that Surtur will be the big final fight. Doesn't leave a lot of room for any of them to be particularly well developed.

It absolutely is. The movie is already out in Europe, it is definitely acceptable to talk about it in this topic. It's a nice thing to do to wait for it to be out everywhere before posting open spoilers, but you don't have to.

Still hope for Thanos... and maybe they've joined the roles of Hela and Death together. Would make sense.

Litan

I feel like outside of Loki, the MCU hasn't really thought about the long term potential for their villains which is really weird because Loki came early. They should have learned from that, but they seem to be totally ignoring the possibilities there.
Zemo's alive, Mordo's making a heel turn and Dormammu is set up, so hopefully that all bodes well for the future.

Hopefully Hela really does turn out to be MCU's Death as well, then she'll get more screentime in both Avengers movies.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
New interview with Kevin Feige:

http://collider.com/kevin-feige-avengers-infinity-war-spider-man-mcu-interview/

Some interesting tidbits:

Fans are very excited about the Marvel/Sony team up. Has the iceberg between Fox and Marvel started to thaw or is it still a frozen tundra?

FEIGE: Well, it’s the same as it has always been. I don’t want to attribute it as a frozen wasteland or anything like that.

I’ll say it’s a frozen wasteland.

FEIGE: We all get along and I see them occasionally but there’s no change in any dynamic.

Tom Holland recently said he wasn’t sure if Spider-Man would be in Avengers: Infinity War and a lot of us assumed that the relationship you made with Sony for…are you guys still figuring out the future of Spider-Man with Marvel? How much have you guys figured out where Spider-Man can be and where your characters will go with Sony?
spider-man-homecoming-feige-holland-watts

FEIGE: We’re figuring it out. I mean, it was really the specifics for Captain America: Civil War and Spider-Man: Homecoming. Spider-Man: Homecoming just wrapped as you know and we’re just getting into cutting that movie, so that’s the primary focus but we are…that iceberg is thawed and is non existent. So we talk to them all the time about what could be fun for the future.

So is Spider-Man going to be in Avengers: Infinity War or is it maybe?

FEIGE: It is I would say that is part of the surprise. I don’t want to spoil anything one way or another.

icespide

Banned
I can't see any scenario where Spider-Man is not in Avengers Infinity War unless there is some kind of huge breakdown between Sony and Marvel which seems unlikely

I can't see any scenario where Spider-Man is not in Avengers Infinity War unless there is some kind of huge breakdown between Sony and Marvel which seems unlikely

If Home Coming is better received than the last 3 Spiderman Movies (it would be hard bot to be) then they'll be fine.

icespide

Banned
If Home Coming is better received than the last 3 Spiderman Movies (it would be hard bot to be) then they'll be fine.

yeah it feels like they are just waiting for Homecoming success to finally just admit that Sony will basically let Marvel do whatever they want with Spidey

The Kree

Banned
Nothing would please me more than watching Coulson die a second time. Just make sure it's the kind of death he can't come back from. Then sell the rights to his character to DC. Then buy DC and permanently shelf the character forever.

Zemo's alive, Mordo's making a heel turn and Dormammu is set up, so hopefully that all bodes well for the future.

Yeah. I'll definitely give them credit for Zemo though he was VERY background as a character and I wouldn't be surprised if we never see him again. Mordo definitely has some potential though and I'm glad they didn't start with him full villain from the get go.

guek

Banned
Nothing would please me more than watching Coulson die a second time. Just make sure it's the kind of death he can't come back from. Then sell the rights to his character to DC. Then buy DC and permanently shelf the character forever.

Show me on the doll where his cybernetic hand touched you

Litan

Yeah. I'll definitely give them credit for Zemo though he was VERY background as a character and I wouldn't be surprised if we never see him again. Mordo definitely has some potential though and I'm glad they didn't start with him full villain from the get go.
I'm hoping that the fact they let Zemo live means we're getting Thunderbolts in the future.

I would rather see Spidey facing off alone against the Sinister Six than have them waste time rationalizing a reason for Webhead to get involved with the Thanos fight.

Actually, historically, has Spidey ever gotten personally involved in the cosmic stuff without it being Secret Wars, either of them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom