• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Wasn't it expected that the full Guardians trailer would premiere in front of Doctor Strange in the US? Since that's releasing today do you think the trailer will be online today?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Wasn't it expected that the full Guardians trailer would premiere in front of Doctor Strange in the US? Since that's releasing today do you think the trailer will be online today?
I doubt it, Wonder Woman will release today and they will not want to compete

Quick

Banned
I thought the sneak peek was like some weird extended version of teasers for teaser trailers lol.

But it sounds about right that the first trailer is coming with Rogue One.

Slightly off-topic, but the Woman Woman trailer looks dope. Brief glimpses of the action are sort of what I wish Cap 1 had.

Watching Doctor Strange in IMAX 3D tonight. Can't wait. I'm totally ready for this.
LkEiJ1H.jpg

guek

Banned
It looks like Strange is going to oscillate between 90 and 91 on RT, 72 on MC. Good scores.

Sad I can't see it until saturday :-(

Hobobloke

Wait, we actually got something first in Australia for once?!

You can all rest easy, will have to reassess it after my initial hype dies down but definitely one of my favourite Marvel films yet.

I need to watch it again but at the moment I'd say it's my favourite of the MCU origin films since Iron Man. Seeing Ditko's art brought to life on screen so well was great.

The Giant

Banned
Wait, we actually got something first in Australia for once?!

You can all rest easy, will have to reassess it after my initial hype dies down but definitely one of my favourite Marvel films yet.

Australia and most of the world gets Marvel movies a week before America for the last few years.

BLACKLAC

Dan Harmon commenting in his AmA about his time at Marvel Studios doing screenplay work on Doctor Strange.
It was a joy. I didn't have to deal with any of the pressures and anxieties that I'm sure are a constant over there. Stepping off an elevator into a lobby with a giant MARVEL logo is already insane, it feels like you're being brought into the Pentagon. Then to finally meet the mucky mucks over there like Kevin Feige was so refreshing and uplifting....I've been pitching and babbling about high concept stuff for twenty years and I'd gotten so used to this dichotomy of the "suits," who loved sports and couldn't wait to leave work and who barely cared about the medium, versus the writers, who were the only nerds on a movie, constantly irritating the suits with their logical points about the original property and who were looked at as a necessary evil that weren't welcome on set....so to step into that ministry, where it's official, we WON, the people that care whether a super hero movie is a good are now the people controlling everything...it just feels glorious, even before you get into the experience of them saying, "so, we haven't shown this to anybody yet, would you mind taking a look?" And getting to see what these things look like when they're 80 percent done...it was a breathtaking experience, I can't gush enough about it. It would be more than a dream come true to get back over there and talk to them about more stuff ...I mean, it's what we do for "fun" so if you imagine getting to do it for a check AND the possibility that you're somehow helping...it's as intensely orgasmic as you'd think, times ten. And I don't care how late in a production anyone might want to talk to me about projects in that genre...I'd love to get a chance to show them what I could do if I was there earlier. But we all know me, I'd probably just choke and screw everything up so maybe I should happy with my Dr. Strange tote bag and the bag of awesome weed Tilda Swinton gave me JUST KIDDING I didn't talk to her. I went to the wrap party. Steve Levy almost choked on a overly dry slider and had to puke it up near a very bummed out DJ. I'm telling you that because I know he'd want you to know.
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/5azrwi/im_dan_harmon_executive_producer_and_star_of/d9kmlwv/

Just got back from seeing strange, apart from some overdone and forced comedy I loved it and the visuals were wayyy beyond inception.

I also liked kaecilius' motivations in the movie, they actually made sense. Still hoping he's secretly Doctor Doom though, considering the background Mordo gave fits in with Victors history.

and the IMAX in raleigh where I went was packed to the fucking brim, the 9 oclock showing was jam packed also.

Just got back from seeing strange, apart from some overdone and forced comedy I loved it and the visuals were wayyy beyond inception.

I also liked kaecilius' motivations in the movie, they actually made sense. Still hoping he's secretly Doctor Doom though, considering the background Mordo gave fits in with Victors history.

and the IMAX in raleigh where I went was packed to the fucking brim, the 9 oclock showing was jam packed also.
I liked Kaecilius' motivations too but I still feel he was wasted. I wanted him to have more screentime.

Creatures summoned via magic to do the bidding of others. Mainly used by Dormammu. - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mindless_Ones

From that point they are most often seen in the employ of Dormammu, who develops an ability to slightly control their actions. They have also been utilized by others such as Doctor Doom, Dr. Midas (in the pages of Marvel Boy) and a fellow Faltine named Rorkannu (in Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E.).

Dr. Doom uses them after gaining high levels of magical power via a deal with demonic entities. .

still hoping mads is playing doom
dame2.png

Sai-kun

Banned
Wow, I think strange was the first marvel movie I've actually been disappointed by. It felt like the two hour start to a Netflix series. Kinda lame.

Effects and trippyness were A+++++

and another thing there where some things missing from the movie,
Strange doesn't say 'That sounds fun'
Kacillius doesnt say 'I am death, and pain'
Mordo doesn't say 'become the hero you're meant to be'
and the overarching manhattan shot isn't in the movie/ it's just the city flipping into itself
B94oI29Z.jpg

Neoxon

I got back from the film about an hour ago And I gotta say, I really enjoyed the film. As for specifics...
  • The main cast really brought their A-Game. Of course Benedict Cumberbatch did fantastic as Doctor Strange, & Tilda Swinton was great (& surprisingly complex) as The Ancient One. Mordo was well-utilized in the film, & I ended up liking Wong a lot more than I initially expected. Rachel McAdams' character was used more than I expected, & she also did great with what she had. But of course, the surprise star of the show was
    the Cloak of Levitation
  • The story itself was more-or-less what you'd expect from Doctor Strange's origin, but with a few interesting twists thrown in (like
    The Ancient One drawing power from Dormammu to keep herself alive
    ). Speaking of
    Dormammu
  • I didn't expect to actually see Dormammu speak in the movie, & I expected a bit more fire (literally). Overall, the scene where Strange literally put Dormammu in a time loop was funnier than I expected. Hopefully we'll see Dormammu take a more physical form like in the comics (namely his recent design, also seen in the MvC3 games) in the sequel. Also, did anyone figure out who voiced Dormammu?
  • Speaking of time, I have to give major props to the 「B I T E T H E D U S T」rewind fight in Hong Kong. All the fights in general were pretty trippy, but this one in particular really took the cake. Technically it was a mix of 「B I T E T H E D U S T」& Crazy Diamond (with the whole fixing-the-city part), but you get the idea.
  • A tiny note, I see that Strange & Ben Urich (god rest his soul) have the same taste in music. It's super-early in the film, & you'll know it when you hear it.
  • As for the villain, Kaecilius was better than I expected, but not as good as I had hoped. Though in a way,
    it was the twist about The Ancient One that elevated Kaecilius' character & his motivation.
    Overall, don't expect Kingpin/Purple Man levels of greatness from Kaecilius, but he's above the average MCU villain.
  • As for the visuals, I'm not sure if I can say anything that hasn't already been said (either by myself for the preview or by anyone else here on GAF). It's literally like Steve Ditko's art come to life.
  • The pacing was pretty on-point. I was a bit disappointed early on that it was only 2 hours flat, but the movie definitely made every second count. It definitely didn't overstay its welcome.
  • Concerning the two post-credits scenes,
    I'm guessing the mid-credits scene is directly pulled from Thor: Ragnarok like how the Ant-Man mid-credits scene was pulled straight from Civil War (plus, I love how Doctor Strange actually wears gloves like he did in the classic comics). As for the post-credits scene, I was expecting Mordo to make a deal with Dormammu, but having his purist ways drive him over the edge is a great way to make him go bad without betraying what was established about Mordo early on (or should I call him Baron Mordo, now).

Overall, I give this movie a 9/10 (this score may chance as I give more time to mull over my thoughts on the movie, perhaps with a second viewing). The movie knew exactly what it set out to do & delivered in a great way. As for the ranking, my Top 5 now would be...
  1. Captain America: Civil War
  2. Guardians of the Galaxy
  3. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
  4. Doctor Strange
  5. The Avengers
Like my score, this may chance as I give myself more time to think about the film.

Also, one last thing,
where in New York is the Sanctum Sanctorum? It kinda looked like it was in Hell's Kitchen, but I don't want to assume (in my NYC visits, I've only been to Times Square).

Also, one last thing,
where in New York is the Sanctum Sanctorum? It kinda looked like it was in Hell's Kitchen, but I don't want to assume (in my NYC visits, I've only been to Times Square).

Greenwich Village, on Bleeker Street. I go to school in that area, so I might try to find where they filmed exteriors for it unless they did so in London.

Neoxon

It looked more like Brooklyn. Given how far away the world trade one was, there's no way it was in Manhattan at all.
By this logic, all of New York has a defender (no pun intended)...
  • Times Square: The Avengers
  • Queens: Spider-Man
  • Brooklyn: Doctor Strange
  • Hell's Kitchen: Daredevil, Jessica Jones
  • Harlem: Luke Cage
  • ???: Iron Fist, Punisher

Greenwich Village, on Bleeker Street. I go to school in that area, so I might try to find where they filmed exteriors for it unless they did so in London.
So what part of New York is that, Brooklyn?

I hope you got your homework done, young man.
I actually found time to finish it before I left for the film, so I'm in the clear.

Neoxon

This map might help:

Times Square is above the Empire State, which are both in Midtown. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Greenwich Village is south of all that, but north of Wall Street which is on the southernmost area of Manhattan.
That makes sense. Thanks for the visual reference, torre_avenue.

Doctor Strange: A+

I think the director took LSD while filming this film.
Out of the MCU, it's my favorite origin story.
Surprised by how great this was. My jaw was dropping a lot.
I went in expecting it to be good but I ended up being blown away.
Visually it looked amazing, and I was surprised by how unpredictable the fights looked. My jaw kept on dropping at those scenes.
Lot of humor.
Most of the side characters are well developed.
I even loved Kaecilius. Yes, he wasn't in the movie a lot, but when he was there, he was very threatening and had his own logic that he followed. He's better than Phase 1 and 2 villains by far. Still doesn't beat Zemo though.

Racheal McAdams character was underdeveloped though.
I'm pretty sure there are some plot holes, but it wont effect my grade at all.
I know I want to watch this a few times in theaters.

El Topo

Racheal McAdams character was underdeveloped though.

Her character wasn't really underdeveloped. She is a woman that worships Strange (and presumably still loves him) despite his behavior, she is a well-respected doctor that needs him at the beginning of the movie (for a second opinion/to save the patient), almost fucks up saving Strange until the latter intervenes and she doesn't manage to save the Ancient One. Her role is shitty, but not exactly underdeveloped.

Doctor strange was awesome. What a tightly placed and well edited movie

Zero fluff. Entertainment and efficiency and wild creativity

Fantastic film

Neoxon

Doctor strange was awesome. What a tightly placed and well edited movie

Zero fluff. Entertainment and efficiency and wild creativity

Fantastic film
That's one of the reasons why Doctor Strange ended up in my Top 5 right now. It did what it set out to do extremely well & got out. The movie didn't overstay its welcome & it was well-paced.

guek

Banned
I just realized Thanos is basically Frieza in the MCU.

Purple

Most feared and powerful conqueror in the universe

Wants to collect a relic that grants wishes

Never leaves his chair until shit gets real

This would make the Black Order the Ginyu Force...

I remember being a bit concerned about how quickly I'd get used to Cumberbatch's American accent after watching the first trailer. I didn't find it an issue at all thankfully. I'm not American but I thought his accent was pretty good.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I remember being a bit concerned about how quickly I'd get used to Cumberbatch's American accent after watching the first trailer. I didn't find it an issue at all thankfully. I'm not American but I thought his accent was pretty good.

I'm not an American either, but I legitimately felt it was one of the worst attempts at an American accent I had ever seen on screen. So much so, I constantly found myself getting distracted by it.

I just realized Thanos is basically Frieza in the MCU.

Purple

Most feared and powerful conqueror in the universe

Wants to collect a relic that grants wishes

Never leaves his chair until shit gets real

This would make the Black Order the Ginyu Force...

"Ronan's dead, The Other's Dead, if this thing goes any further south we're going to hit Space Mexico..."

Wrapping up Luke Cage, just finished Ep 12. One to go but I had to write a bit.

The action doesn't come close to Daredevil but it makes up for it in almost everything else. I loved how Jessica Jones dealt with themes like sexism, stalking and abuse and I love how Luke Cage deals with blackness, politics, crime and corruption. Harlem feels "lived in" and the characters in it, obviously seen through an obvious blaxploitation filter, are real and convincing. That's Luke Cage's biggest strength, really. Seeing all these characters from different parts and layers of Harlem interact with each other. Everything in front of a background that is so unapologetically black that I was surprised how comfortable it was considering the current political climate.

It was also great to have sort of 4 major antagonists that are radically different from each other. Cottonmouth, Mariah, Shades and Diamondback are, each in their own way, dangers to Luke Cage and the people of Harlem but it was great seeing them deal with their own issues and their past catching up to them as well. Maybe it's because I'm currently writing a paper on August Wilson's "Fences" but I really appreciated this aspect. Sadly, Shades was probably the most miscast of all. As the most manipulative of the bunch they could have used someone more charismatic.

Otherwise the cast was fantastic and really played well off each other. I can't wait to see Misty in other Netflix series. Loved her and Claire.

Also the cameos were fantastic, Meth first and foremost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom