• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom_Cody

Everything involving the Kree is definitely racial.

The Kree are an alien race that are predominantly blue. There are also pink Kree which look more Caucasian, but are a minority. In the comics there's issues about the blue kree getting with the pink kree and many of the blue kree wanting to remain "pure bred" or whatever.

You can read more on it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kree
Interesting. I can't claim that I knew anything about this.

I think I've found Ronan:

xq92l6wk.jpg

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
IIRC they let them renew it last time because they didn't have any plans for Namor in Avengers/soon (when they made that decision) and thus it is just Universal giving them money. I believe it was pre-Disney buyout though.

so even in non being...Namor is worth more money than Aquaman and pays taxes?

I believe this.

I'd like to see Namor in the MCU but he sure as shit could not carry his own film unless they managed to make him not the hugest douchebag asshole in continuity. And then it wouldn't be Namor.

Personally I'd wait and use him if and only if they manage to get the FF back.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
I'd like to see Namor in the MCU but he sure as shit could not carry his own film unless they managed to make him not the hugest douchebag asshole in continuity. And then it wouldn't be Namor.

Personally I'd wait and use him if and only if they manage to get the FF back.

Namor has tons of great stories , i just dont know how you film and underwater live action film fuck that just sounds expensive. Not like they live in dry places underwater they are just fine in the ocean. Animated is what i'd do for him and appearances live action.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
He debuted in his own series which didn't have the x-men in it at all and is not a mutant. Later on he joined the X-Men but I don't think that counts since several x-men have joined the avengers but Marvel can't use them.
This actually raises an interesting question. Maybe you all know the answer.

Do Sony and Fox and such own rights to specific characters or to teams or brands?

For example, could Marvel use Beast like they're using Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver and only focus on the Avengers/Defenders parts of the character? Or is he specifically listed in some contract with Fox?

If Marvel can't use him...why? Why can they use Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver but not Beast? Are they just getting ballsy now that they've got Disney behind them?

How much gray area is there in all of this?

As far as we know Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver, and I believe Madame Hydra/Viper are the only grey area that exists. And the side they use them for, X-Men or Avengers, can't reference anything specific to the other property.

AMUSIX

This actually raises an interesting question. Maybe you all know the answer.

Do Sony and Fox and such own rights to specific characters or to teams or brands?

For example, could Marvel use Beast like they're using Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver and only focus on the Avengers/Defenders parts of the character? Or is he specifically listed in some contract with Fox?

If Marvel can't use him...why? Why can they use Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver but not Beast? Are they just getting ballsy now that they've got Disney behind them?

How much gray area is there in all of this?
It's not a character-by-character thing. Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver were specifically named in the original deal because of their long history with The Avengers. If you notice, while Marvel signed away Daredevil and Ghost Rider and X-Men and Fantastic Four and Spiderman, they retained all of the original (and shortly thereafter) Avengers. Even the deal they made for Hulk specifically did not pull the character away from their use.

Though now that you mention it, Beast would be the only Avenger through the 80's that they would have 'let go'. I would not be shocked if it was suddenly announced that there was a Beast clause, the same way there was a Wanda/Pietro clause.

It's not a character-by-character thing. Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver were specifically named in the original deal because of their long history with The Avengers. If you notice, while Marvel signed away Daredevil and Ghost Rider and X-Men and Fantastic Four and Spiderman, they retained all of the original (and shortly thereafter) Avengers. Even the deal they made for Hulk specifically did not pull the character away from their use.

Though now that you mention it, Beast would be the only Avenger through the 80's that they would have 'let go'. I would not be shocked if it was suddenly announced that there was a Beast clause, the same way there was a Wanda/Pietro clause.

but what about Longshot? He was his own character originally and later joined the X-Men. He's not even a mutant.

edit: after a google search apparently both Longshot AND Cable are independent from the Fox deal and at one point or another were optioned as separate films? wtf didn't cable debut in The New Mutants and is
Cyclopses grandson (at least thats what I think I remember from the animated series

but what about Longshot? He was his own character originally and later joined the X-Men. He's not even a mutant.

edit: after a google search apparently both Longshot AND Cable are independent from the Fox deal and at one point or another were optioned as separate films? wtf didn't cable debut in The New Mutants and is
Cyclopses grandson (at least thats what I think I remember from the animated series

Nathan (Cable) is the son of Scott (Cyclops).
But it took a while for them to reveal the fact and he was introduced as generic futuristic badass soldier before the gave the character any kind of backstory (and once they started to give him a backstory they kinda complicated that thing to the max)

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Long shot would be cool but then you got to get into Mojo and that stuff is just weird.

Also how much longer until Fox loses the FF rights? I am really hoping they drop the ball on that like they did on Daredevil.

FF would be amazing if they could place it in the Avengers universe. Reed, Banner, and Tony Stark debating nerd stuff alone could provide a movie comedy relief. and Galactus is a big of enough baddie to follow Thanos in Stage 4 if they decide to do it.

I see Disney buying out FF after Marvel's phase 3 is done (if they don't get it back sooner), to create a new page of the MCU with Doom as the villain. The current MCU storyline with Thanos at the end doesn't leave a lot of room for another huge bad guy like Doom.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I'm preeeeeeeetty sure Fox would ask for some serious coin in exchange for the rights.

Let's hope their FF film gets stuck in development hell for a bit more.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
If Fox does get the FF reboot off the ground and it bombs, I can see them letting Marvel/Disney get the rights back.

I see Disney buying out FF after Marvel's phase 3 is done (if they don't get it back sooner), to create a new page of the MCU with Doom as the villain. The current MCU storyline with Thanos at the end doesn't leave a lot of room for another huge bad guy like Doom.
Well, they'd be able to use Doom as a global-level villain. Introduce Annihilus and Galactus following Avengers 3 and they'd be able to do everything from Annihilation through Thanos Imperative.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Just have Reed and friends be the first explorers in near-earth orbit to go examine the fallout from a cosmic battle left over from Avengers 3. They get zapped and kick off the next phase. Meanwhile start building up Latveria back on Earth.

Simo

Marvel/Disney and Hasbro are going all out for GOTG. You've got your 6" Movie Legends line merging with the Comics featuring:
  • Star Lord. Comes with Walkman, 2nd head sculpt with mask and weapons.
  • Rocket Raccoon
  • Gamora
  • Drax
  • Cosmic Iron Man (Comic)
  • Nova (Comic)

Each comes with a piece to assemble a 9" tall Groot.

Giant size "Blaster Blastin'" Rocket with sounds and animation and a giant sized Star Lord featuring phrases from the movie (voiced by Chris Pratt) and 4 80s tracks.

2-Pack Figures with Battle Gear. That's where the Ronan figure photo came from and there's quite a few including a Nova Corps figure.

New 3" line and play sets featuring Star Lord's Milano spaceship and Rocket's Warbird ship.

Role Play items like Star Lord's mask and blasters along with a Rocket mask.

Showaddy

Marvel/Disney and Hasbro are going all out for GOTG. You've got your 6" Movie Legends line merging with the Comics featuring:
  • Star Lord. Comes with Walkman, 2nd head sculpt with mask and weapons.
  • Rocket Raccoon
  • Gamora
  • Drax
  • Cosmic Iron Man (Comic)
  • Nova (Comic)
100.gif

Edit: Nova toy is Rich Rider. All is forgiven Marvel.

eastx

I guess this means we should expect Richard Rider to make his return in the comics in the foreseeable future. Not surprising, seeing as Sam's run apparently isn't selling so hot. Thank god.

In other news, one of the Rocket Raccoon toys talks, giving us as sneak peek at Bradley Copper's performance as Rocket.

The toys don't usually feature the actors' real voices - just recordings of crummy non-voice actors.

That Ronan figure a few posts above has some awfully gigantic hands.

Neoxon

The toys don't usually feature the actors' real voices - just recordings of crummy non-voice actors.

That Ronan figure a few posts above has some awfully gigantic hands.
Chris Pratt is actually confirmed to be voicing the phrases of his figure.

As for Rocket, Copper-voiced or not, it does give us an idea of what to expect...kinda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom