• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
I'm just rewatching The Incredible Hulk now. Admittedly not the strongest film, but odd that somewhere Blonsky's in captivity and Sterns is running around with a giant head.
I rewatched this one recently, since I had seen it only once a long time ago, and left wondering... why doesn't the military/SHIELD have more Super Soldiers? I mean,
they clearly have the capability given that the first double shot they gave Blonsky made him an unkillable Captain America.
Also, Liv Tyler has to come back :3

This is going to be the worst Ms. Marvel origin EVER
Why? Coulson would make an excellent Ms Marvel.

eastx

why doesn't the military/SHIELD have more Super Soldiers? I mean,
they clearly have the capability given that the first double shot they gave Blonsky made him an unkillable Captain America.

Because Blonsky became violent and uncontrollable even though he was previously reliable and loyal before the treatment. Also, I don't think anyone but General Ross approved the treatment. When Abomination ran rampant, it would seem evident enough that Ross's idea to use the serum in that way was a bad one.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Because Blonsky became violent and uncontrollable even though he was previously reliable and loyal before the treatment. Also, I don't think anyone but General Ross approved the treatment. When Abomination ran rampant, it would seem evident enough that Ross's idea to use the serum in that way was a bad one.
But that's the thing, he became violent and unreliable after the SECOND dose (he outright says that the's feeling "like a monster"), and then he mixes it with Banner's blood or whatever which turns him into Abomination.
The first dose only makes him incredibly fit, acrobatic and able to heal (and real fast) from a Hulk kick.

But that's the thing, he became violent and unreliable after the SECOND dose (he outright says that the's feeling "like a monster"), and then he mixes it with Banner's blood or whatever which turns him into Abomination.
The first dose only makes him incredibly fit, acrobatic and able to heal (and real fast) from a Hulk kick.
Yeah but he took the first side because he be and obsessed with it and he became corrupt with power. It only worked with Captain America because he was so pure of heart.

Blonsky didn't get the Vita-Ray part of the Cap treatment, so he ended up going crazy and power-mad more or less like the Red Skull did.

Spider Woman/Drew is a much better character than that lump of flesh that is Carol Danvers. I'd hate for her to be ruined/used on AoS. So I'd rather bennet end up being Ms Marvel or Mockingbird than Jessica Drew.

If she turns out to be a canon Marvel character, it should be Cybermancer or someone else that no one cares about.

I cant see Skye having an costumed character part. She is so bad on AoS, they should be looking to replace her not give her a bigger part.

I blame this more on the writing than Bennet's performance, personally. But she'd have to become a pretty drastically different character before I'd want to see her as any character above the C-tier, and I don't really see that happening.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
The Guardians of the Galaxy tie in comic potentially reveals Thanos' involvement in the film:

GARGALPRE2014001_int3_00001.jpg

GARGALPRE2014001_int3_00002.jpg

GARGALPRE2014001_int3_00003.jpg

GARGALPRE2014001_int3_00004.jpg

The Guardians of the Galaxy tie in comic potentially reveals Thanos' involvement in the film:

I figure Thanos will at least have a speaking part, with casting announced closer to the film's release. But if he actually appeared on screen for any significant length of time, the casting would probably have been announced last year.

adg1034

I figure Thanos will at least have a speaking part, with casting announced closer to the film's release. But if he actually appeared on screen for any significant length of time, the casting would probably have been announced last year.

Unless James Earl Jones is doing the voice for someone else's motion capture and they're just waiting to surprise us all at Comic-Con.

Anybody here have a clean shot of BDT as the Collector? I tried to look around on Bing/Google and most are blurry and out of focus.

Since Thor2 is out now I figured there might be a better one but it doesnt seem like it.

DieH@rd

Banned
Anybody here have a clean shot of BDT as the Collector? I tried to look around on Bing/Google and most are blurry and out of focus.

Since Thor2 is out now I figured there might be a better one but it doesnt seem like it.

guardians-of-the-gala63u30.jpg

Much better environment than that closet from Thor2 ending.

TDLink

They've said his role is substantial. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he had a good 15+ minutes of screen time. They are definitely just intentionally shrouding his casting in secrecy.

They've said his role is substantial. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he had a good 15+ minutes of screen time. They are definitely just intentionally shrouding his casting in secrecy.

I thought that was just referring to his being the man behind Ronan and Nebula, not necessarily having an active role in the plot. But I could be wrong.

Showaddy

I thought that was just referring to his being the man behind Ronan and Nebula, not necessarily having an active role in the plot. But I could be wrong.

Gunn mentioned that Gamora's arc is that she was part of a kill team with Ronan & Nebula but she's ditched them and is trying to sort out her life basically when she meets the other Guardians. He'll be a big part of the plot but Iv'e got my doubts to whether he's got a serious on-screen presence.

AMUSIX

So this was originally in response to stuff in the CA2 thread, but figured it was more suitable here (didn't want to throw that thread off track).

The more times I watch IM2, the more I like it. Can't say I wholly enjoyed it the first time, and it definitely has faults, but those seem less and less present each time I see it.

Oh, and viewtiful asked:
quickly, tell me the plot of Iron man 2 without lookin it up

you can't do it
This I can absolutely do, as convoluted as it is.

However, for Incredible Hulk, there's no way I could do it. I could tell you the premise of the movie (Banner is trying to find a way to cure or control his condition while General Ross is trying to hunt him down). But that's pretty much the premise of Hulk in almost any medium. As for plot? I've seen the movie at least four times, and I seriously couldn't even begin to identify a plot.

Everyone points to the presence of SHIELD as a reason for IM2's failings, but just don't see that. The insertion of SHIELD was fine, and really didn't take up too much of the movie. The problem with IM2 was that you had two villains, each with their own motivations to take on Tony, and you had Tony dealing with two personal crises. Four separate plot issues, with the most minor threads connecting them.

Vanko wanted revenge for how Pa Stark treated his father.
Hammer wanted to compete with Stark Enterprises, and build his own Iron Men.
Tony's arc reactor is poisoning him and he's dying.
Tony has to 'reconnect' with his father.

Seriously, the arc that needed to be ousted from the movie was the "tony's dying" thing. There simply was no reason for it to be there. The plot should have just focused on the "sins of the father are to be laid upon the children" thread, with Tony looking into his father, and discovering his involvement in SHIELD, and THAT triggering Nick Fury showing up with the box of Stark history.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I love Iron Man 2, never understood all the hate against it.

Justin Hammer is one lf my favourite MCU Foes, I really hope, he reappers in a future movie. And the final action scne with all the drones chasing and fighting War Machine and Iron Man is sooo good.

I also wouldn't be terribly surprised to see him played by just some dude/voice actor and played by someone different once he finally appears as a lead antagonist.

duckroll

I've been noticing a very clear trend in the Phase 2 sequels. I wonder if this is just something to do with Age of Ultron, or if it's part of something larger they're setting up for Phase 3...

Iron Man 3 -
At the end Tony destroys all his suits, removes his chest shrapnel, gets a fresh start.

Thor 2 -
Loki secretly replaces Odin after Thor thinks that he really died for good. Asgard is in greatest danger when everyone's guard is down.

Captain America 2 -
SHIELD is completely displaced after the revelations that Hydra was a sleeper unit within the organization all along. Captain America no longer has an international watchdog supporting him, Fury is off to Europe, Maria Hill joins Stark Industries, Agent 13 joins the CIA, Hydra continues operating in the shadows.

Basically it seems that all the major support structures that the major Avengers have relied on in the past are being removed systematically. Definitely not just a coincidence.

inky

I love Iron Man 2, never understood all the hate against it.

Justin Hammer is one lf my favourite MCU Foes, I really hope, he reappers in a future movie. And the final action scne with all the drones chasing and fighting War Machine and Iron Man is sooo good.

Personally, it just felt unfocused. It had too many threads going on and when they all reach the resolution it is not satisfying, because they didn't develop equally. I love Justin Hammer too, he steals every scene he is in, and that is what makes him feel weaker, because he is backdrop to the less interesting Vanko. Everything Vanko did was way too convenient for the sake of the plot that it becomes tedious instead of engaging. Everything he does feels forced.

His motivations are fine, I'm talking about how he is written to be able to do stuff just because he is able to do stuff. Many parts of the movie just make you go: "Oh, I guess he just knows how to X, oh well", where X is any of these unbelievable things: duplicate the Arc Reactor tech with just the blueprints in a Siberian shithole. Get a passport, and tickets to escape said Siberiean shithole while carrying a weapon with him and get to Monaco with 0 issues. Get easy access to the track where Tony conveniently decided to race last minute. Recover instantly from being smashed into a wall by a 2 ton car at least 3 times. Hack weapon developer's security systems in seconds. Kill trained and armed guards no problem. Develop and control an army of fully combat capable drones almost overnight AND control them all AND the War Machine suit from a console inside his own room, etc etc. Seriously, it's too much.

I know plenty of characters and villains have these convenient moments, and suspension of disbelief is a fine line to ride in superhero movies, but I never believed it with Vanko. And I know it is "established" he is a genius just like his dad was, but I'm saying his circumstances don't point to him being able to do all of what he does just like that.

I know those things won't bother everyone, and anyone can come up with similar lists for every other of these movies, but they just didn't work for me in this one. On top of that, we have Tony struggling with his own internal demons, he is dying (another thing Vanko seems to immediately know even though he probably didn't know he had the arc reactor in his chest in the first place, because it wasn't public knowledge at all) and people are trying to take his tech from him. His own struggle about reconnecting with his father. SHIELD infiltrating his life was OK I guess.

The way I would've done it is: after Hammer's initial ridicule in front of the press/senate, he then engages into some espionage to try and 1up him and finds out about Vanko. He goes looking for him, gives him some resources, and develops some technology with which he catches IM unaware, and beats him publicly, taking him down a few notches. This sends Tony into desperation mode, no "I'm dying plot". Maybe those circumstances allowed Hammer to make himself with the Iron Man tech, which is what he wanted and puts him on top, but Vanko wants revenge and turns against him and becomes uncontrollable taking Hammer's own tech (suits/drones). Meanwhile, SHIELD steps in with his father's knowledge. Tony finds new resolve in his father's work and words and decides to get out again with Rhodey's help and face Vanko with his improved suit.

I just think Vanko didn't work, and was written very badly and the rest was all over the place and Pepper was always shouting because drama! so it never connected with me, and all the tangents took away from the good performances and what should've been a more meaningful conflict.

I've been noticing a very clear trend in the Phase 2 sequels.

Spoilered, just in case.
I got the same feeling about them tearing everything down, which leads me to believe they plan on pitching them against one another, or Ultron being so much more than they can handle until they get together and really, establish a proper team. But I also get the feeling that Thor 2's circumstances could have more to do with setting up his third chapter. Thor is on Earth, and maybe all this time he is just oblivious to what is going on there. His involvement with Ultron keeps him busy and distracted until he finally makes it back.

TDLink

tumblr_n39zcvcTQ81s4tygbo1_1280.png

tumblr_n39zcvcTQ81s4tygbo2_500.png

Pretty cool that I got a retweet :)

It's either going to be Amazing Spider-man 2 or Days of Future Past. Only two summer releases where it makes sense to launch the trailer. My money is on Spider-Man since they probably want to get the non-teaser trailer out at the start of the summer so it can be attached to as many films as possible.

Gazunta

Not really sure if this is the right thread for this talk (and I'm not brave enough to venture into the film's OT) but there's a major plot spoiler on the Captain America 2 page on Rotten Tomatoes. It's one of the one line review blurbs they have underneath the stats. Be warned!

Damn, I'm pissed at that.

Neoxon

Not really sure if this is the right thread for this talk (and I'm not brave enough to venture into the film's OT) but there's a major plot spoiler on the Captain America 2 page on Rotten Tomatoes. It's one of the one line review blurbs they have underneath the stats. Be warned!

Damn, I'm pissed at that.
And this is why I'm avoiding review sites until I see the movie unless they clearly say spoiler-free.

AMUSIX

Watching Cap 1 again makes me realize that either the montage was needed, or we don't get the Howling Commandos. The action pieces in the movie are essentially:
-the chase after the transformation
-Cap's first rescue
-Train mission/loss of Bucky
-Final raid on Red Skull's base/in-plane battle

Squeezing in a fifth action set piece (or several as some people suggest) would really be a detriment to the movie. Of course, you can streamline the hunt for Red Skull, fold it into just the train mission, and remove the montage completely. This would also remove the Howling Commandos, as they would really no longer serve any purpose.

Personally, I'll keep the HC, and a short montage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom