• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT2| Discussion on released and future projects (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDLink

http://collider.com/captain-america-3-thor-3-doctor-strange-kevin-feige/

Kevin Feige gives some updates on future Marvel films (WARNING: Cap 2 spoilers).

Why are there spoilers everywhere when the movie isn't even out!!!???

I watched the interview. I would barely call it spoilers. The only thing I could really see that is spoiled is mentioning that there's a reference to a certain other Marvel character...but they don't even say what exactly the reference is.

Main takeaways from the interview:
  • Feige says Thanos hasn't been cast yet...after hesitating and thinking about it for a couple of seconds
  • Avengers 2 is not getting any rewrites to accommodate for Scarlett Johansson's pregnancy, just scheduling rearrangements
  • Thor 3 confirmed again/writers confirmed hired/just starting development
  • Ant Man cast being announced as soon as people are signing on the dotted line
  • The Russos directed one of the Winter Soldier post credit scenes while Whedon directed the other

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I watched the interview. I would barely call it spoilers. The only thing I could really see that is spoiled is mentioning that there's a reference to a certain other Marvel character...but they don't even say what exactly the reference is.

Main takeaways from the interview:
  • Feige says Thanos hasn't been cast yet...after hesitating and thinking about it for a couple of seconds
  • Avengers 2 is not getting any rewrites to accommodate for Scarlett Johansson's pregnancy, just scheduling rearrangements
  • Thor 3 confirmed again/writers confirmed hired/just starting development
  • Ant Man cast being announced as soon as people are signing on the dotted line
  • The Russos directed one of the Winter Soldier post credit scenes while Whedon directed the other
Thanks for the summary.

Salsa

I was hoping for a (winter soldier spoilers:)
crossbones outfit tease kinda maybe idk something more badass boo :( also thought the Bucky scene at the end of the credits was gonna be Scott Lang stealing something

I was hoping for a (winter soldier spoilers:)
crossbones outfit tease kinda maybe idk something more badass boo :( also thought the Bucky scene at the end of the credits was gonna be Scott Lang stealing something

There was.
When Rumlow and Falcon are fighting, Rumlow takes off his vest, and he has an X of straps across his chest.

sol_bad

I watched the interview. I would barely call it spoilers. The only thing I could really see that is spoiled is mentioning that there's a reference to a certain other Marvel character...but they don't even say what exactly the reference is.[/LIST]

This character?
If I have looked at the cast list on IMDB for Winter Soldier, would this character still be a surprise?
Man I wish I didn't look at the cast listing...

*EDIT*
GOD FUCKING DAMN IT!
I just had it ruined on Facebook.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooo............................*

obin_gam

Have these high-def pics of the guardians been posted?
goVSaEH.jpg

bPxTTww.jpg

M5v2UuY.jpg

niTLb6s.jpg

0F6T6UW.jpg

mjc

Hmm I don't really buy that Thanos hasn't been cast yet. He's got some screen time in GOTG as far as we know right? Unless they're running 100% CGI and just getting someone to voice act him they should have had someone on set.

Hmm I don't really buy that Thanos hasn't been cast yet. He's got some screen time in GOTG as far as we know right? Unless they're running 100% CGI and just getting someone to voice act him they should have had someone on set.

I still think it's stealth Vin Diesel.

...maybe.

Tom_Cody

I don't think that's known at all, but I can't claim to know for sure.

A number of the characters are definitely known to be affiliated with Thanos but I (personally) haven't seen anything approaching proof that he's actually on screen. I haven't seen anything like concept art or toys indicating as such.

Has the script leaked? Is there artwork I haven't seen? Is there some other piece of the puzzle I'm missing? To me it seems that he could have a shadow presence similar to his role in Avengers.

Although I think most of the marvel studios movies are hit and miss I'm glad to see the Winter Solider is getting great reviewws from critics and fans especially as a HUGE fan of the Brubaker run on Cap. Most definitely will be checking this out this weekend with my friends.

duckroll

That Avengers anime looks like the worst thing. I can't wait to watch every episode. I hope Kawaii Doom is one of the villains.

I watched the first episode yesterday, and it was pretty bad. It's basically Avengers Digimon, with terrible designs and really strange direction. There's a really obvious lack of proper scene transitions, and even the writing is just strange. All the characters look really awful, and while it hasn't happened yet, it's pretty obvious that after Loki traps all the Avenges instead the "Disk" devices that SHIELD created, the kids will be the heroes using them to "summon" the Avengers to fight evil while Spiderman tries to find a way to free them from the virtual prison. It's pretty stupid.

TDLink

This character?
If I have looked at the cast list on IMDB for Winter Soldier, would this character still be a surprise?
Man I wish I didn't look at the cast listing...

*EDIT*
GOD FUCKING DAMN IT!
I just had it ruined on Facebook.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooo............................*

I saw winter soldier and the character referenced in the interview is not actually in the film, his name is just dropped. So IMDB wouldn't spoil it. The character referenced in the interview, who is name dropped in TWS, is
Dr. Stephen Strange

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs

Gunn freezes a frame of an imposing-looking villain any serious comic book fan would recognize instantly. He sits on a rocket-powered throne. Feige sees something on the screen that he doesn’t like. The evildoer needs to be farther away in the frame so he looks more imperious, he says.

“I don’t know,” says Gunn. “I think it’s going to look cool, man.”

“You just don’t want him to feel petty in that way,” Feige says. “I think it’s a fine line.”

“How do you think it comes off as petty here?” Gunn says.

“He’s so damn close,” Feige says.

“Yeah,” concedes Gunn. “I think I’m going to have him floating in space.”

Feige is concerned about the throne, too. He points at the base. “Those don’t need to be rockets,” he says. “Maybe gravity disks?” Feige says he’ll check back later.

In the hallway he extracts a pledge not to name the bad guy. “That could not be a bigger spoiler,” Feige says.

Frickin awesome.

duckroll

How does everyone feel about how involved Feige is in the films? Do you like him being this involved or would you like him to back off a little?

I dunno why anyone would want him to back off. He's the reason Marvel movies are what they are. His role is effectively that of a head editor in comics. He has shown that he cares deeply about the work, and he has done a pretty good job so far.

I dunno why anyone would want him to back off. He's the reason Marvel movies are what they are. His role is effectively that of a head editor in comics. He has shown that he cares deeply about the work, and he has done a pretty good job so far.

Yeah, I like how involved he is as well, but I hear people say that the Marvel directors aren't given enough freedom and I thought this is what they may be referring to.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Just to be clear, I was talking about the little conversation between him and Gunn referring how close Thanos is to the screen. The sort of creative decisions.
That conversation doesn't seem to be any different than how a producer might talk to a director. In the end, the director really isn't the person in charge. There are always a lot more hands in the pot.

That conversation doesn't seem to be any different than how a producer might talk to a director. In the end, the director really isn't the person in charge. There are always a lot more hands in the pot.

Oh okay, thanks. I never bothered to research the details on the producers role in film, even though it's always bugged me. :)

inky

Oh okay, thanks. I never bothered to research the details on the producers role in film, even though it's always bugged me. :)

It doesn't work like that everywhere. Some have a lot of creative pull, others have (or want) none. The ones that don't usually just step in when there is something wrong, like delays or budget issues. That's when they start to make creative decisions, usually about what needs to be cut so there is still money to be made.

It is understandable that someone like Feige wants (and maybe deserves) that kind of creative input, when he is a big reason these movies are so liked and successful in the first place. But in the end, the director takes a lot of the credit because he is behind many of the decisions in the movie, but he never works in a vacuum and there is always all sorts of input from other people in how the movies turn out.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
There were also people at Disney who expressed doubts about Marvel’s film strategy. Says Iger: “I remember someone [saying] on the Disney side, ‘Don’t you want to do Avengers first, and introduce Thor and Captain America in that, and then if they work bring them out afterward?’ ” Feige was adamant that this would be a mistake. He wanted audiences to get to know Thor and Captain America on their own before combining them with Iron Man and the Hulk. Disney was persuaded. Feige was relieved. He had enough things to worry about.

Ahem... You reading this, Warner Bros?

I think it was brilliant of Disney to give Feige the autonomy to make those decisions. Sure, Thor and Cap may have not debuted with Iron Man or Avengers numbers but it pays off in the long run and they're only just getting started.

I really do think Winter Soldier and Age of Ultron will do huge numbers and further validate Feige's strategy.

duckroll

I love what they're doing with the MCU, but I do wonder about the long term viability, and how they plan on keeping it fresh and successful beyond a certain point. After about 3 movies for each major character, I think it'll be harder and harder to come up with really good films in the same setting and with the same cast. This is why studios tend to take a break and then reboot. I can see the MCU continuing to be very successful for a few years leading up to Avengers 3. But what then? After 3 Iron Man movies, 3 Thor movies, 3 Captain America movies, 3 Avengers movies, are they going to start making exclusively new launch movies? Is there much potential for Ant Man 2 or Guardians of the Galaxy 2, or Doctor Strange 2? Or are they seen as one offs? Lots of tough decisions for the long term business aspect of the MCU in the next few years I think.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I love what they're doing with the MCU, but I do wonder about the long term viability, and how they plan on keeping it fresh and successful beyond a certain point. After about 3 movies for each major character, I think it'll be harder and harder to come up with really good films in the same setting and with the same cast. This is why studios tend to take a break and then reboot. I can see the MCU continuing to be very successful for a few years leading up to Avengers 3. But what then? After 3 Iron Man movies, 3 Thor movies, 3 Captain America movies, 3 Avengers movies, are they going to start making exclusively new launch movies? Is there much potential for Ant Man 2 or Guardians of the Galaxy 2, or Doctor Strange 2? Or are they seen as one offs? Lots of tough decisions for the long term business aspect of the MCU in the next few years I think.

I could imagine that after Avengers 3 the Superhero bubble could begin to bust... But I hope to be wrong in this point.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
I really think it's going to boil down to how they play Phase 3 and what announcements are made between now and then in regards to the future of the MCU, who they can get to stick around, etc.

If there really is a mass exodus of actors, then yeah, I think there might be a problem.

But if they can convince RDJ to come back for an Avengers 4, ScarJo to stick around a little longer with the promise of a solo film, maybe Hemsworth who seems to be enjoying things, while losing a few of the others... The key to it IMO is staggering the "losses" so that it's not too jarring.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
I dont know, after The Winter Soldier its evident they're sketching out things again with b-tier guys like Falcon and Crossbones- they're always dropping stuff in to the pot to hopefully come back to later.

Cap 2 is a superhero film undoubtedly, but because of the spy/conspiracy stuff it also seems more than that. I think the post-credit scene in particular completely revitalises the universe with something new, and im pretty sure thats something Doctor Strange can do as well if given the chance, GOTG too. Id say even right now theyre trying to change the assumption of what a superhero movie is, the MCU is definitely branching out tonally.

inky

I think at some point the whole thing is going to dry up, but they are not really going to stop making them for a very, very long time.
And I'm going to watch the shit out of all of them.

I know it's not that likely, but I'd really love to see GotG become super huge. I could watch space adventures for years and years. I'm also really curious to see what they have planned for Strange. That is going to be one tricky casting choice and I really want the movie to go full bananas with the magic and sfx.

I think they said that if Guardians of The Galaxy is a success, it can spin off to other movies hopefully another cosmic character maybe Nova or Guardians sequel etc. and for the avengers movie, they'll rotate heroes around as the story needed.

I mean Hawkeye by all means should be in Winter Soldier movie but he's totally absent not even a mention by the cast and the movie is still awesome despite that.

duckroll

Well, I think I can better illustrate what I feel could be a potential problem for the MCU in 5 years or so.

Phase 1: Iron Man -> Incredible Hulk -> Iron Man 2 -> Thor -> Captain America

Avengers (2012)

Phase 2: Iron Man 3 -> Thor 2 -> Captain America 2 -> Guardians of the Galaxy

Avengers 2 (2015)

Phase 3: Ant Man -> Captain America 3 -> Doctor Strange (?) -> Thor 3 (?) -> ???

Avengers 3 (2018?)

Phase 4: ?????????

Okay, it's not like they're completely out of options. They could do a big Hulk movie in Phase 4, they could do a Guardians sequel, and launch a few other new entries - Black Panther, Nova, Inhumans, Submariner, etc.

But the main thing is, after Phase 3, I don't really expect many (or any) more sequels from the core Avengers they have built up - Iron Man, Thor, Captain America. Not only would there be enough films for those heroes by that time, but there would certainly be contract issues because after playing a character for 6 films, I think anyone would be a little tired of it.

I think one option that have would be to drop "Avengers" as the main crossover film concept after Avengers 3, and just make a major Marvel crossover event movie every 3 years or so. That would allow them to get around the issue that most of the movies they release in-between would likely no longer involve members of the Avengers, but rather expand the Marvel universe as a whole.

I believe the whole plan is to keep building the Marvel brand to the point where they don't have to rely on the actors to bring in viewers but the shared universe itself. And they will get to the point where not every movie has to have direct ties to the Avengers movies, which we're already seeing with GOTG.

Basically, if they keep up with the quality of what we saw in Avengers and Phase 2 so far, people will go see these movies because they're Marvel movies, not just because it's Iron Man or Captain America or Thor. They can effectively give those characters a break (while still showing up for the big Avengers events) for a number of phases while they introduce us to Black Panther, Ms./Captain Marvel, Runaways, Dr. Strange, Ant-Man, Inhumans, Moon Knight, Blade, Punisher, (hopefully) Fantastic Four, New Avengers, Mighty Avengers, Nova, the list goes on. And they can still go back to the established characters for new movies that don't necessarily need to be trilogies - probably one of the reasons we saw them drop the numbered sequels for Cap 2 and Thor 2.

They seriously have decades worth of characters and stories to tell, they just need to keep up what they're doing and get to the point where they're not at the mercy of the actor or character's recognition in order to get people in the theatre.

They're in it for the long haul and I'd be very surprised if they ever do a hard reboot of the entire MCU. It'd break the whole reason they are doing the shared universe in the first place.

inky

Part of me thinks they are going to keep the Avengers name as the big event movie, just because that is what big companies do with successful brands. They've talked about how the team in the comics changes over the years, so no reason to not have an almost complete new team for Avengers 4, with maybe a few returning characters. They've also talked about starting to consider 3 movies per year.

Who knows, maybe Phase 4 has a Quicksilver + Scarlet Witch solo movie if people respond well to them. Captain Marvel is also a possibility. Maybe that is how they do it from now on. Introduce a few new characters in the established lines, see what works, then push those.

If all else fails, they are most likely just going back to the OG team, so Phase 4 or 5 might be a restart of the cycle, with new faces involved and new stories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom