• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MARVEL solicits for Sept 2011. So how DO you answer DC's major reboot campaign?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Parallax said:
That thunderbolts cover has me worried for the rest of the team. If fucking mr hyde becomes a permanent member, I will fucking rage. That daredevil cover looks awesome.
The follow-up:

TBOLTS163PO1_cov.jpg

THUNDERBOLTS #163.1
Written by JEFF PARKER
Penciled by DECLAN SHALVEY
Cover by ROBERTO DE LA TORRE
JUSTICE – LIKE LIGHTNING! As Songbird readies the hunt for the escaped Thunderbolts, she must present their history to the mysterious forces that guide the raft – but those forces have more devious plans for these former Masters of Evil!
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$2.99

Since last year at the encouragement of a few friends I've been slowly getting into comics, though mostly just DC and Vertigo titles at the moment. Main reason besides having more familiar characters to me is that it's been a lot easier for that company to find famous and/or highly respected one-off stories or comic issues collected in graphic novels, while for Marvel it seems a bit more all over the place.

In other words, I can never seem to find the equivalent of 'All Star Superman' or 'The Killing Joke' out of Marvel's books, despite really wanting a way to get into their stuff since I love their characters from all the games, cartoon shows and movies. Know this might not be the thread for it (no idea if there's a Marvel-GAF), but would any of these issues even though they seem to all be fairly deep into their respective plots be worth picking up? Or alternatively is there a collected volume of anything Marvel that would serve as a good doorway into their work? (Those huge 'Classics' books made up of issues as far back as the 60's are kind of overkill for me at the moment)

V_Arnold

Astrosanity said:
Since last year at the encouragement of a few friends I've been slowly getting into comics, though mostly just DC and Vertigo titles at the moment. Main reason besides having more familiar characters to me is that it's been a lot easier for that company to find famous and/or highly respected one-off stories or comic issues collected in graphic novels, while for Marvel it seems a bit more all over the place.

In other words, I can never seem to find the equivalent of 'All Star Superman' or 'The Killing Joke' out of Marvel's books, despite really wanting a way to get into their stuff since I love their characters from all the games, cartoon shows and movies. Know this might not be the thread for it (no idea if there's a Marvel-GAF), but would any of these issues even though they seem to all be fairly deep into their respective plots be worth picking up? Or alternatively is there a collected volume of anything Marvel that would serve as a good doorway into their work? (Those huge 'Classics' books made up of issues as far back as the 60's are kind of overkill for me at the moment)

Well, I can give you some advice regarding getting into books as I am fairly new to some of the Marvel series myself (or was a few years ago, anyways).

First of all, but this might not always be the optimal thing to do, Marvel introduced a lot of '.1' issues, where for example XYZ 5.1 means it is issue 5, but it also works as an "entry point". If you like a group, find the .1 issue (it is a fresh thing done in this winter/spring) and you can jump in kinda alright.

But, if you are looking for real entertainment, I suggest you check out the following:

Regarding X-Men: Uncanny X-Force is a new start, and the series is 11~ issues deep. You will get to know the basic members, and they are VERY loosely tied to the main X-group as of right now, and have their own, self-contained story arcs currently. Once you are familiar with them, you can start with the Dark Reign: Utopia book (HC) which will tell you a story about a lot of mutants being endangered and finding a home. From there, you can be freely reading X-Men also. And if you really like what you see, you can start with the current event trio which was resolved not too long ago, and you can buy the Messiah Complex / Second Coming event HC books, which tell a nice story.

Onto the Avengers: Avengers are always affected the most by the recent events. To illustrate my point: once there was Civil War. Which led to Secret Invasion. Which led to Dark Reign (osborn being the big bad wulf a'la Lex Luthor President, only better), which led to Siege and once the heroes were free to be heroes again, several branches ov Avengers were formed. Once you read just a little about them, you can jump into Secret Avengers freely, and it is a very good quality stealthy book. If you want the equivalent of Superman, that is kind of hard to do right now, but you might wanna check out the New/avengers also.

Just for fun, though: if you ONLY read Civil War, World War Hulk, Secret Invasion, Dark Avengers, X-Men Utopia, then Siege, then start Fear Itself, you will be golden. All I listed are "event books" so they are kind of thick, and it would be insanely fun to read through them now, without waiting for the issues.

Phew, sorry for the wall of text :p

Cool, thanks! I'm not sure how 'into' Civil War I'll get since I've heard conflicting things about it from various sources, but I really dug that animated World War Hulk movie (and heard it's essentially the same as the comic except with Silver Surfer instead of Beta Ray Bill due to copyright issues at the time it was made) so I'll probably plow through Civil War if it leads into that immediately afterwards.

I'll probably start with Uncanny X-Force though, what with just seeing First Class (even though I doubt that the two will be very much alike). Have they collected the first few issues into a volume yet?

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Astrosanity said:
Cool, thanks! I'm not sure how 'into' Civil War I'll get since I've heard conflicting things about it from various sources, but I really dug that animated World War Hulk movie (and heard it's essentially the same as the comic except with Silver Surfer instead of Beta Ray Bill due to copyright issues at the time it was made) so I'll probably plow through Civil War if it leads into that immediately afterwards.

I'll probably start with Uncanny X-Force though, what with just seeing First Class (even though I doubt that the two will be very much alike). Have they collected the first few issues into a volume yet?

well yeah world war hulk is ace...but Civil War is really good too, been done before but its a good one overall, and ends the only way it ever could teehee. actually WWH, Planet Hulk, and Fall of Hulks are really dang good that team did a great job with the character over the past few years. Uncanny X Force is possibly on trade but it might be the previous run not the current, both are good though. IF you end up liking uncanny Xforce i would suggest the new x 23 and Daken comics as well.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Darkmakaimura said:
Can someone explain that Ghost Rider?

im not sure. it definetely isnt lady vengeance, so its probably one of the many ghost riders out there

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm going to make a topic sometime in the future asking for comic books to read. I mostly read random comic books that I could buy at the grocery store when I was young. I read mostly Marvel.

When I went into a comic book store to actually buy a spiderman comic. I was a fan of course of The Xmen and Spiderman cartoons of the 90's, and wanted a spiderman comic dealing with the symbiote saga. The spiderman comic I found had some 30 year old grim Peter Parker that was married. I was like "The fuck is this? I haven't really bought any comic books since than besides The Watchmen and Sandman.

jambo

Trojita said:
I'm going to make a topic sometime in the future asking for comic books to read. I mostly read random comic books that I could buy at the grocery store when I was young. I read mostly Marvel.

When I went into a comic book store to actually buy a spiderman comic. I was a fan of course of The Xmen and Spiderman cartoons of the 90's, and wanted a spiderman comic dealing with the symbiote saga. The spiderman comic I found had some 30 year old grim Peter Parker that was married. I was like "The fuck is this? I haven't really bought any comic books since than besides The Watchmen and Sandman.

Buy Ultimate Spider-Man 1-133, then Ultimate Comics Spider-Man through to 160.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
jambo said:
Buy Ultimate Spider-Man 1-133, then Ultimate Comics Spider-Man through to 160.
Should I pick up the separate issues, the volumes I see on Amazon, or the Ultimate Collections I see on Amazon?

Spike Spiegel said:
I never said I was going anywhere -- just that I couldn't do the arduous grind of cranking out a CBD thread every week anymore. Threads like this are just copy-pasta, five minutes' worth of work.

I think you should switch to a monthly thread; it would give you more time and you can put in more content.

jambo

Trojita said:
Should I pick up the separate issues, the volumes I see on Amazon, or the Ultimate Collections I see on Amazon?

Test the water with one or two of the first volumes to see if you like it and then go from there.

Personally I thought it was a wonderful re-imagining of the Marvel Universe with a Peter Parker who was the right age for once. Struggling to deal with not only being a super hero, but also school, keeping his secret identity and of course hormones.

Parallax

the more i see it, the more i need a picture of the spider-lion logo on hercs back. that shit looks so damn awesome.

Man...Bendis, Nick Spencer, Hickman, Rucka, Palmiotti, Brubaker, Waid, Aaron, Mike Carey...marvel has an amazing group of writers on staff now.

jambo

evilpigking said:
Man...Bendis, Nick Spencer, Hickman, Rucka, Palmiotti, Brubaker, Waid, Aaron, Mike Carey...marvel has an amazing group of writers on staff now.

I still have no idea why they used Loeb for Ultimatum, instead of Bendis. Biggest screw up ever.

I was against the Red Hulk joining the Avengers but he seems to be working out okay. At the moment, Daredevil just doesn't seem like someone I want to read about with the New Avengers.

Parallax

Slayven said:
Spiderbaby and Spiderherc >>DCnU

I am assume Spiderisland will be when Spidey gets his Spidersense back.

that emblem needs a poster. so damn awesome

Nesotenso

Anticitizen One said:
marvel's solicitations seem almost lame in comparision. Its just same ol' same ol'

Marvel didn't see the need to do a wholesale reboot of their universe for the millionth time.

This is kind of awesome. I just got back into comics. My fav was always Iron Man so im going through all of the new invincible Iron Man. Pretty great stuff, i need to fill in the blanks from when he is with the avengers.

should be fun.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
vazel said:
Like I said, fuck gimmickery.

to be fair molecule man was probably one of if not the most dangerous villan in the marvel U for a time his powers were ridiculous , beyond reason. Like who need an infinity gauntlet powerful, so its not like some jobber came on the scene and got at caps shield. And Thor has a mystical hammer made of uru metal thats supposed to be just and indestructible.

I understand where your coming from there should be a small collection of things that are just absolute, like caps shield, wolveriens skeleton, T'challa's vibranium gear etc etc . But while the concepts are easy enough the writers come and go, even Mjolnir has broken once or twice for no real reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom