• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom® 2(XBLA PSN) |OT| - F*CK THE KNICKS

duffey

Yeah I never realized HD Remix did that. I've never seen it before, my apologies.

Also good lord this is going to take me some time to get used to again.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Download is hugely slow for the demo. :( And I bet it's nothing more than the exact same demo that PSN got. AKA: Two player with a shitty D-pad. :(

Never played marvel vs capcom before but I bought it and just jumped into training mode to try it out. I don't understand anything. :)

Fuckin scrub ass Sentinel users who just float around and spam assists.

LOZLINK said:
360 pad is not fluid at all. How the hell do you switch characters, i can seem to in this version

X+A or Y+B, it's not hard at all...

TheSeks

TheSeks said:
Download is hugely slow for the demo. :( And I bet it's nothing more than the exact same demo that PSN got. AKA: Two player with a shitty D-pad. :(

Indeed. It's just the exact same as the PSN version. Disappointing.

Oh, well. I'm planning to buy both versions (360 if only so dragonlife29 stops bothering me to play my 360 :lol ), anyway.

Also the 360 background panel in the "game information" section for MvC2 should totally be put on PSN for a free background. New art's kinda hit and miss, but I still like it.

Teknoman

For all those asking control questions, just look at how to play and the config.

Expecting netcode impressions when I wake up :lol

TheSeks

Teknoman said:
For all those asking control questions, just look at how to play and the config.

Expecting netcode impressions when I wake up :lol

Even better is to set the controller up to have one of the punches and kicks (your choice) on bumpers (Well, L/R1 on PS3) for an easier time of pulling supers/hypers off (on the PS3 I hate the Triangle/Square/Circle/X button placement for fighters, so doing this helps me "mash two buttons" better than the placements).

Also, IMO I like having the assists on the triggers (at least the 360/X-box triggers) made pulling off the Level 3 combo-call-assists-hyper-thingy MUCH easier to do on the X-box version. (Just double tap both triggers quickly and BAM! Super time)

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Did a couple of ranked matches against people with sub-100 ping; went perfectly! The net code seems to be as good as, if not better than HD Remix.

MvC2 is totally not my game though, but I'll be messing around with it here and there. I got destroyed by a Rogue/Cable user (forgot his third) and then I owned someone with scrub Sentinel/Magneto tactics. I know it's tough with 56 characters, but damn do I wish this got the HD Remix "balancing" treatment.

Turned my 360 on this morning but was unable to find a download so thanks for the xbox.com link, grabbing the trial first to see how it's holding up to the DC version.

MMaRsu

I wanna take u for a ride..

FUCKING SWEET! Man I'll be playing this all day. But first smoke a J and then go online and try to kick some ass :D. I haven't played this game since the dreamcast days.. damn.

LOZLINK

Hmm, can't find too many games around with ping less than 200, guess not a lot of aussies have jumped onto this yet :lol

d0c_zaius

profit said:
Just got my ass handed to me by dok Zaius...
gg mate

Edit: ow wow, that second match was sooo close :eek:

haha yea that second one was awesome. I was feeling pretty good about winning without remembering everything, then K3vlln came in the room and showed me was real MvC2 play was. I used to hate on the game in the past but watching his lockdown really was cool to see firsthand. I could only take 2 huge defeats before I had to hit up training mode and remember how to do stuff again.

Great games Profit and anyone else that joined the room. As for the game itself, the play was smooth and the graphic clean up really impressed me. And Ive grown to love that damn song.....

MMaRsu

God it's so awesome but I suck so much :lol I don't even know how to do decent combo's/ultra's .. someone explain pls :p

Man. I'm so used to using a controller. It feels weird with a pad.

Also, it sucks I can't speed up the pre-battle screen. The one that shows what level you're on.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Just in case anyone cares, I have a hori pro ex 360 with customized sanwa buttons and an octogonal stick (and the original square base, if you prefer that) that I got a week ago that I'm going to sell. It turns out I just suck with sticks, so I'm giving gaf first grabs on it. PM me if interested.

(this will also be posted in the sell/trade thread)

see you online, gaf!

profit

MMaRsu said:
God it's so awesome but I suck so much :lol I don't even know how to do decent combo's/ultra's .. someone explain pls :p
Just go into single player or training and mess around with your moves. The specials are mostly the same with all the characters (at least thats my impression) to execute.

Cant wait for my stick though, it feels weird having to push two punch or kick buttons, but I also fail at FADC in SF4, so yeah...

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I'm REAL fuckin sick and tired of this bullshit. How do you play this game? I tried to play some dude and I can't even move my guy, I just kept getting hit the entire match. I played like 10 matches and I don't think I hit him more than once or twice per match. Then I sent him a message saying "u suck n00b. stop using cheat codes."

Where can I learn how to move my guy. I thought you used the directional pad.

DR2K

Banned
MMaRsu said:

Most characters have supers that are similar to ex moves in SFIV. As they're done with one motion and 2 punch or kick buttons.

MVC2 has this system called magic series, it's basically weaker moves combing into stronger moves.

For a character like Rogue, an example would be. lp, down(2)* lp, qcf(236) fireball motion, midway through animation of said move input her super(236) both punch buttons(lp +HP).

*(with numbers) are number pad notations.

It's like this with most characters.

Dahbomb

Some tips for the newcomers:

The control scheme is:

X ([]) = Light Punch (press twice and the second punch will be a Medium punch)

Y (/\) - Heavy Punch

A (X) - Light Kick (press twice and the second kick will be a Medium kick)

B (O) - Heavy Kick

RB (R1) - Assist One = Pressing this button will call your first partner to come and do a special attack. You will notice that when you press Assist One the character whose life bar is DIRECTLY below your current playable character.

RT (R2) Assist Two = This will call your second partner and it's the character whose lifebar is the last of the 3rd (the one at the most bottom).

Meaning if you picked Sentinel/Cable/Storm in that order, pressing RB while Sentinel is out will cause Cable to perform an Assist. Pressing RT will cause Storm to perform an Assist.

My recommended control configuration for this game is:

Triggers = Assists
Shoulder Buttons = Two punches and Two Kicks so that doing supers is easier
You can also make the Shoulder buttons Both Lights/Both Strong which will allow you to switch characters (more on this latter).

Some extra stuff:

Switching Characters: Both of the Light Attacks at the same time (Light Punch + Light Kick) will switch to your second character (the character that will be switched is the one who is on Assist 1). Both of the Heavy attacks at the same time (High Punch + High Kick) will switch to your third character.

Meaning if you have Sentinel/Cable/Storm, press X+A will switch to Cable (and this will make Sentinel the character on Assist 1). If you press Y+B it will switch to Storm (and Cable will be at Assist 2).

Note that when you switch characters, they will come in doing an attack that will launch your opponent if it connects. If the opponent blocks the attack, your new character is left opponent to a world of hurt because when they switch in they ALWAYS taunt. So be careful when you switch...

Super Jump: Press crouch (down) and then quickly press jump (up). Your character will jump really high in the air.

Dash Forward/Backwards: Forward, forward or back, back quickly. You can also press forward + PP (light punch plus heavy punch) to dash forward.

Performing Launchers: Every character has either one or more ways that they can LAUNCH the opponent in the air with. This is normally done with one of the following commands: Crouching + High Punch [down+Y(/\)], Standing Medium punch (press Light punch twice) or standing High Kick (B/O).

After you launch an opponent, you can do a FOLLOW UP aerial combo by pressing UP. This will automatically do a super jump and you will come at the same level as your launched opponent. This will be an aerial combo from now on (more on this later).

If your team is Sentinel/Cable/Storm, their launchers are: Sentinel: Standing High Kick, Cable: Standing Medium Punch, Storm: Crouching High Punch or Standing High Kick

Performing Air Combos: After doing a launcher and pressing UP to follow up, you can do a bread and butter aerial combo using the following combo set: Light punch, light kick, light punch, light kick, high punch and/or high kick. This is the most basic type of air combo out there, normally after you do the first 3 or 4 hits you can do a Special attack like an Air Hadouken as a finisher. The aerial combos in this games are quite insane as most of you will soon find out.

Performing Special moves: Every character has a bunch of special moves that cancel your normal attacks. These are the QCF/B (quarter circle forward) moves or the HCF/B (half circle forward or back) or the dragon punch motion (forward, down, down/forward) that are the STAPLES of the Street Fighter series. A lot of the moves can be performed in the air.

Ex:

Cable: QCF+P = Hyper Beam
Dragon punch + P = Scimitar
QCB + K = Grenade

Performing Super Moves: Just about every super move in the game can be done by either a QCF/B or a HCF/B motion plus two punches or two kicks. Performing these moves will take away one bar from your super gauge (you can hold up to 5).

Ex:

Cable: QCF + PP = Hyper Viper Beam
QCF + KK = Time Flip

Performing Simultaneous Supers: This is where you do supers TOGETHER with one or more of your partners. This requires at least 2 super bars. If you have 2 bars, you will do a dual super where your current character and your Assist 1 character do supers (note that what super you and your partner do depends upon what Assist Type they have).

If you have 3 bars, all 3 of your characters will perform supers (again, which super they do depends on your assist type for all the characters).

This is done by pressing both the two assist buttons together.

Performing Consecutive/Delayed Supers
: This is where you perform a normal Super which is followed by a super of your NEXT character. This requires at least 2 bars as well. For example, when you do Cable's super (Hyper Viper Beam)... while you do Cable's super you can perform the input for the super for your NEXT character (which is Sentinel and his super is QCF+KK). Cable's Hyper Beam will be cancelled with Sentinel's super. While doing Sentinel's super (if you have another super gauge) you can perform the super for Storm's super (QCB+PP) which will cancel Sentinels super with Storm's.

The lack of macros is going to make playing this game on a pad a bitch. I'm thinking it's going to take a little while for pad players to get use to the very fast pace gameplay with character switching, supers, super canceling and so on because having to press multiple buttons on a pad feels awkward and uncomfortable.

Nachkebia

Banned
Timedog said:
I'm REAL fuckin sick and tired of this bullshit. How do you play this game? I tried to play some dude and I can't even move my guy, I just kept getting hit the entire match. I played like 10 matches and I don't think I hit him more than once or twice per match. Then I sent him a message saying "u suck n00b. stop using cheat codes."

Where can I learn how to move my guy. I thought you used the directional pad.

:lol

Rice-Eater said:
The lack of macros is going to make playing this game on a pad a bitch. I'm thinking it's going to take a little while for pad players to get use to the very fast pace gameplay with character switching, supers, super canceling and so on because having to press multiple buttons on a pad feels awkward and uncomfortable.
Nah that's just being lazy, never had a problem doing ubers and shit on a dreamcast pad myself.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Forgot to mention that I'm playing on a Japanese 360 (but am using a U.S. XBL account and currently living in the U.S.), and the game is entirely in Japanese.

Nachkebia

Banned
d0c_zaius said:
:lol

also :lol at Jin's robot punch super. I wonder what other moves look funny thanks to the WS transition.

I'm really loving this port though

I don`t know dude, I have never played this game and I am at work :lol

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Hell yeah!

I don't have time to play right now though, so I'm just grabbing the demo at first - found it under New Arrivals just fine - which went crazy fast to get there thanks to the early update, and it only took me roughly 30-40 seconds to download too!

As a huuuuuuuuuuuge MvC2 fan, I don't even need to get the trial first, but I just want to be sure before I just dive in...

Aaaaaaaaaaand - the game controls and looks perfectly. :D

I was afraid that I'd have to learn how to use my TE stick for MvC2, but hell, even my un-shaven d-pad 360 controller was pulling off moves and combos perfectly with no errors, just like on the Dreamcast - I seriously don't know what the hell Capcom was thinking when they put in those shortcuts and tightened the timing for links in SFIV for - every game I come back to after playing SFIV (like HDRemix or 3rd Strike) has me weary of the timing, yet everything always comes out perfectly, like I forgot how it was in the past...

And I'm reading here that online is is no problem when the ping is low at the very least, so when I get back home later today, this game is getting bought.

Enjoy the game and keep posting impressions till I get back!

StylusX

Played about 20+ games with no lag:D

The leaderboards don't seem to be updating, I've been stuck at 3-2 for ages now but that's no biggie.

PS- Fuckin rage quitters! Do I still get the win for that?

Top Bottom