• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom® 2(XBLA PSN) |OT| - F*CK THE KNICKS

Patriots7

Any tips on how to fight against Cable?
I'm usually Doom/CapCom/Magneto, and it's been a bitch fighting against Cable. First time I beat him I basically rushed him with CapCom, and got a Captain Corridor into a Captain Sword, which killed him. But apart from that, getting up close to him is annoying as hell with the damn Viper Beams.

gutabo

Linkhero1 said:
Yeah, so I think I finally found my team...Marrow, Doom and Cyclops. I play really well with them. I suck because it's faster than Tatsunoko vs Capcom, but I think I can manage.

The beauty of Cyke's anti air assist is that, besides being invincible on the first two hits(that means that on those two hits he will beat other assists like Doom's rocks, CapCom's energy pillar or psylocke's psyblade) and having some extra reach with the optic bullet at the end, is that if it hits the opponent from the beginning, it leaves you plenty of time to combo afterwards. You can do Marrow's qcb+PP hyper combo(the one with the homing bones) or chase the opponent with a dash and a super jump into an air combo into qcb+PP. Same with Doom. And he's very good on point.

The holy trinity of Cyke combos:
(I suggest reading jchensor and kao megura's old work at gamefaqs, they are a must read)

1- Punishment:
(jumping HK, ) standing LK, MK, HK, HK into Cyclone Kick(qcb+K, both hits) into SOB(super optic blast, qcf+KK), tap down once as soon as the "super freeze" ends.
or
(jumping HK, ) standing LK, MK, HK into Cyclone Kick(qcb+K, ONE hit) into MOB(mega optic blast, qcf+PP), mash buttons for a couple more hits.

2- Long distance:
qcf+LP(jab optic blast) into SOB(super optic blast, qcf+KK), tap down once as soon as the "super freeze" ends.

3- Short distance/countering:
dp+HP(Gene Splice) into SOB(super optic blast, qcf+KK), hold up as the "super freeze" ends.

That's mostly what you need as Cyke on point. You can DHC into whatever HC on any case. The second variation of the first combo will leave you safe even if the opponent blocks the combo and if his name is not Cable(and even so, he won't have as much time as with a standing MOB). Get used to point the SOB with the tap down if the opponent is using a small character. The second combo is meant to punish laggy moves from the other side of the screen. The third combo can be used also as variable counter(a.k.a. alpha counter).

Linkhero1

gutabo said:
The beauty of Cyke's anti air assist is that, besides being invincible on the first two hits(that means that on those two hits he will beat other assists like Doom's rocks, CapCom's energy pillar or psylocke's psyblade) and having some extra reach with the optic bullet at the end, is that if it hits the opponent from the beginning, it leaves you plenty of time to combo afterwards. You can do Marrow's qcb+PP hyper combo(the one with the homing bones) or chase the opponent with a dash and a super jump into an air combo into qcb+PP. Same with Doom. And he's very good on point.

The holy trinity of Cyke combos:
(I suggest reading jchensor and kao megura's old work at gamefaqs, they are a must read)

1- Punishment:
(jumping HK, ) standing LK, MK, HK, HK into Cyclone Kick(qcb+K, both hits) into SOB(super optic blast, qcf+KK), tap down once as soon as the "super freeze" ends.
or
(jumping HK, ) standing LK, MK, HK into Cyclone Kick(qcb+K, ONE hit) into MOB(mega optic blast, qcf+PP), mash buttons for a couple more hits.

2- Long distance:
qcf+LP(jab optic blast) into SOB(super optic blast, qcf+KK), tap down once as soon as the "super freeze" ends.

3- Short distance/countering:
dp+HP(Gene Splice) into SOB(super optic blast, qcf+KK), hold up as the "super freeze" ends.

That's mostly what you need as Cyke on point. You can DHC into whatever HC on any case. The second variation of the first combo will leave you safe even if the opponent blocks the combo and if his name is not Cable(and even so, he won't have as much time as with a standing MOB). Get used to point the SOB with the tap down if the opponent is using a small character. The second combo is meant to punish laggy moves from the other side of the screen. The third combo can be used also as variable counter(a.k.a. alpha counter).
Sweet man. Thanks for the great help. :D

I'll look into both jchensor and kao megura's works.

gutabo

Patriots7 said:
I'm usually Doom/CapCom/Magneto, and it's been a bitch fighting against Cable. First time I beat him I basically rushed him with CapCom, and got a Captain Corridor into a Captain Sword, which killed him. But apart from that, getting up close to him is annoying as hell with the damn Viper Beams.
Lots of patience... the game basically changes if you're against Cable even if he's not on point. Super jump a lot, be careful when calling your assists(Cable is an excellent assist killer) and if they don't hit superjump afterwards to cover them. If he superjumps, wavedash under his grenades and try to dash under him and hit him from the back when he's falling(careful with his godly air HK).

I would use your team like this: Magneto(projectile)/Doom(anti air)/Capcom(anti air) in that order, but if you are not very good with Magneto(and rushdown) yet, you might want to switch him out permanently and find another character you might use better. If your opponent knows how to play the game and uses Cable, it can be a hellish experience trying to beat that heavy keepaway game.

ChazAshley

CharAznable's second cousin
Patriots7 said:

use magneto and pressure him with doom AAA assists. because magneto has an air dash you can easily super jump and air dash forward over a lot of cable's attacks. call out doom and a split second later super jump --> air dash over. usually novice cable players will try to punish your assist but you will end up behind him whatever he does. Just be sure you know how to punish him afterwards!

also, a cable without any super meter is not as dangerous, use that to your advantage. use capcom's assist if he ever tries to run to you (which shouldn't be often if he's good)

unless the cable player knows how to do ahvb x 3 well, your mags should walk all over him.

ChazAshley

CharAznable's second cousin
gutabo said:
Lots of patience... the game basically changes if you're against Cable even if he's not on point. Super jump a lot, be careful when calling your assists(Cable is an excellent assist killer) and if they don't hit superjump afterwards to cover them. If he superjumps, wavedash under his grenades and try to dash under him and hit him from the back when he's falling(careful with his godly air HK).

I would use your team like this: Magneto(projectile)/Doom(anti air)/Capcom(anti air) in that order, but if you are not very good with Magneto(and rushdown) yet, you might want to switch him out permanently and find another character you might use better. If your opponent knows how to play the game and uses Cable, it can be a hellish experience trying to overcome that heavy keepaway game.

I agree with this post

gutabo

Linkhero1 said:
Sweet man. Thanks for the great help. :D

I'll look into both jchensor and kao megura's works.

Look for James Chen(jchensor) excellent Marvel Super Heroes system faq. Besides a few things (like different launchers properties, and middle attacks with their own buttons) mostly everything applies to this game and you will have a great understanding of the combo system and things like why you can't do certain moves after some air combos. Then you can move on to Kao Megura's MvC2 faq and things like HC cancelling, assist use, guard breaks, pushblocks and so on.

gutabo

ChazAshley said:
use magneto and pressure him with doom AAA assists. because magneto has an air dash you can easily super jump and air dash forward over a lot of cable's attacks. call out doom and a split second later super jump --> air dash over. usually novice cable players will try to punish your assist but you will end up behind him whatever he does. Just be sure you know how to punish him afterwards!

also, a cable without any super meter is not as dangerous, use that to your advantage. use capcom's assist if he ever tries to run to you (which shouldn't be often if he's good)

unless the cable player knows how to do ahvb x 3 well, your mags should walk all over him.

I agree with this post too ;)

Magneto is not a newbie character at all. He has a long learning curve, but not that hard(like strider, dhalsim or anakaris).

Manus

Been doing pretty good with my team of Blackheart, B.B. Hood, and Sentinel. They seem to work together pretty well.

god this game takes a while to get used to.

for me now im using cyclops, (the guy with the lightsaber) and Cable. the lightsabre guy - Hayato? is actually great to use...

gutabo

SquirrelNuckle said:
Been doing pretty good with my team of Blackheart, B.B. Hood, and Sentinel. They seem to work together pretty well.

Blackheart and Sent are a great lockdown couple, BH can call Sent(drones), superjump and spam demons or Sent can call BH and chip with his laser/rocket punch/drones. Blackheart builds meter like crazy, Sent can burn them easily on a lockdown. I don't really know about their chemistry with BBHood, but I guess she benefits the most of their assists(horizontal and vertical range).

If you stop having fun you might want to try Blackheart(pillar)/Sent(Drones)/Doom(anti air-the rocks). But if you're having fun and winning with BBHood, please keep using her. She has some tricks up her sleeve, like her double jumping crossups and a wicked hyper combo with mad damage.

gutabo

shaolin242 said:
god this game takes a while to get used to.

for me now im using cyclops, (the guy with the lightsaber) and Cable. the lightsabre guy - Hayato? is actually great to use...
You might want to start with Hayato(yes that's his name), build some meter, then get a combo in and dhc into any of the Summers. He has a hyper combo(the blue ball) that if connects, gives you unlimited meter(only with hayato) for a while, but it's mostly useless because you can't spam any of his HCs safely. Well, you can, against some characters/teams, just be careful. Don't bother with his blockable "raging demon" HC, it's useless on real play. You can fool some people not familiar with him with his plasma combos, because there's a kick hit that hits low, and one of the last hits hits high, but again, be careful when using them. If any attack on the plasma combos hit, you can cancel them into any HC.

In advanced play, hayato lacks air mobility, safe ways to chip, some speed, can't punish assists very well and has terrible lag on some moves, but his sword's priority rivals even strider's. If your opponents don't superjump that often and they don't use projectile-heavy characters, you'll have an easier time zoning them. Stay away from his laggy moves outside combos!
Icarus said:
I'm finding Spiral as a projectile assist really good for racking up decent chip damage. Thoughts?
That's a wacky choice, but a valid one if it's working for you. Spiral is not an easy character, but she can destroy Cable(specially if your name is Ducvader). What's your team?

Every single time I play this game online my session always ends with someone joining my room, disconnecting and then the game crashes. What a piece of shit.

5 minutes later, freezes again. Fucking pathetic.

vocab

iconoclast said:
Every single time I play this game online my session always ends with someone joining my room, disconnecting and then the game crashes. What a piece of shit.

It's Backbone baby It's Backbone!

N4Us

gutabo said:
Can anyone please check if the switch trick is in?

Thanks in advance!

You mean where you can switch the order before the match begins? It's been removed in this version I believe.

gutabo

N4Us said:
You mean where you can switch the order before the match begins? It's been removed in this version I believe.
Yeah! Oh well... so no safe first atack. Thanks!

BTW, anyone from south america? How's the lag while playing people from other continents?

I know my team is pretty low tier, but any advice for a Jill/Tron/Sonson player? Besides to change characters. :lol Gotta rep my team Zombie Robot Monkey.

Tron's projectile and Sonson's antiair assists are rockin it but I'm not sure about Jill. Is her healing assist worth it?

Nemesis_

I wish there was a way to use Jill effectively. I just can't see it, and the RE fan in me wants me to use her.

At the moment I'm using Projectile Iceman, Projectile Cable and Psylocke. Rack up quite a bit of damage with the hyper combos.

gutabo

voodoopanda said:
I know my team is pretty low tier, but any advice for a Jill/Tron/Sonson player? Besides to change characters. :lol Gotta rep my team Zombie Robot Monkey.

Tron's projectile and Sonson's antiair assists are rockin it but I'm not sure about Jill. Is her healing assist worth it?
Forget about her healing assist. Put them Sonson(anti air)/Jill(Tackle)/Tron(Projectile). Work with Sonson's mindgames and Tron's damage, while building meter so Jill can burn it doing combos into her tackle HC(her rocket launcher HC can be super jumped easily and the tyrant... smh). Only DHC from Sonson into Jill when you have many meters, that'll give you a fighting chance with her(Jill). If your opponent can't roll, abuse Jill's crouching HK, it even goes under many anti air assists like Psylocke. Heck, really close it crosses up the opponent so it's harder to roll it... again, abuse her trip into crouching LK, crouching LP(launcher), air combo into tackle into tackle HC(her bread an butter combo). And you have Sonson's decent anti air assist to back you up.

My win lose for ranked right now is 8 / 14, I been whoring cable too much but then so does every one else I bump into, so it's only fair that I annoy them too.

Always feels so good when they call support and you do a 3 part super on both of them, must total up to about 140% dmg :lol

Owensboro

gutabo said:
Details, please? Maybe I can help you...

Hah, Gutabo, I just want to say that reading your responses makes my brain hurt. Seriously, the amount of knowledge you are throwing out is staggering. I always enjoyed playing this game solely as a button masher back in the day (blame me being a child and only really playing SF2 and MK2), and thanks to this coming out on PSN at some point was looking to get back into it. Now I'm terrified of trying. There are just to many characters (each with 3 assist types) to feel like I can jump back into this game.

Any good beginner's guides out there that won't be to technical? (I haven't played a fighting game for real since SF2 Champion Edition ... in arcades. I never even owned it on a home console).

Also, I'm sure the question has been asked a billion times before, and am sorry for repeating it, but what's the best - semi-cheapest stick you can buy for a PS3? (Mock away)

profit

gutabo said:
Maybe I can help you...
Maybe you can help me out.
Air combo; how?
I know how to do launchers, I know how to jump after them, but I can never link something after that. Is it just timing?

gutabo

Owensboro said:
Hah, Gutabo, I just want to say that reading your responses makes my brain hurt. Seriously, the amount of knowledge you are throwing out is staggering. I always enjoyed playing this game solely as a button masher back in the day (blame me being a child and only really playing SF2 and MK2), and thanks to this coming out on PSN at some point was looking to get back into it. Now I'm terrified of trying. There are just to many characters (each with 3 assist types) to feel like I can jump back into this game.

Any good beginner's guides out there that won't be to technical? (I haven't played a fighting game for real since SF2 Champion Edition ... in arcades. I never even owned it on a home console).

Also, I'm sure the question has been asked a billion times before, and am sorry for repeating it, but what's the best - semi-cheapest stick you can buy for a PS3? (Mock away)
Ok, dont' worry, everybody starts as a masher, so that's not a biggie. Here's a vid that explains some stuff like air combos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5G9ju4yBX5o

I did some vids too back in the day(please be gentle, they are like 7 years old or more), all revolve around a friend's team, a couple are pretty basic:

Damage Resistance (or how some characters have higher stamina and others are screwed)

Damage Buffering (or how there's a reduction of the damage each hit does in a combo as the hit count grows so after 12 hits or so every hit no matter how hard or strong does one pixel of damage)

There are other that might be interesting to you. Again, this is more advanced stuff so dont' worry about this YET:

Guard Breaks (or how on a normal jump and after a snapback you can only block "once", and once you stopped blocking you can't start blocking again)

These next vids assume you know some stuff like resets and try to show this friend some useful, simple, damaging combos to do in real life(not only in practice mode). Also at the end there's a way to "escape" Sent's Drones HC - he was having nightmares with the big robot.

Some combos and strats - Wolverine

Some combos and strats - Gambit

Some combos and strats - Cyclops

I hope this helps(the first vid will surely help you).

Regarding sticks, I'm on the same boat as you(well, on a similar boat). On 2002 I built my own stick for the DC(yes, just for this game), later I made it PS2 compatible too, but now I have an xbox 360 and the D-pad is just the worst thing ever(insert loooong rant here). I was trying to find a way to get my old stick working on the 360, but seems like I'll have to buy a new one :'( I'll post a pic of my stick later so you can have a laugh.

gutabo

voodoopanda said:
Thanks for the advice gutabo, you are awesome. Team Monkey Zombie Robot it is, then.
The more, the merrier!

There's an in depth 3 part Sonson faq at gamefaqs written by an old friend. Maybe you can tackle that later, even if there's some stuff missing, a lot of it still applies.

iconoclast said:

I've got the same problems. Fuck Backbone.

Also...what happened to the difficulty settings? Even easy is kinda hard...

gutabo

SmokinGunZ1981 said:
gutabo you are doing an awesome job, I thought I was good at MvC2 but i've learned alot from your advice!
Thank you, I'm not that good, I only have kinda good memory for some stuff...

HiResDes

I think I've gotten pretty damn good with Magneto, my Sentinel is okay...I have the easy 5 or 6 hit air combos down with him, but I'm having trouble finding a third player. I was using Cable, but I got tired of using and wanted a striker. I really like Psylocke and I really like Strider, but both I can't manage to get any of their longer air combos down. Any recommendations?

gutabo

profit said:
Maybe you can help me out.
Air combo; how?
I know how to do launchers, I know how to jump after them, but I can never link something after that. Is it just timing?
Yes, it's just timing. Please check out the vid I linked on a previous post.

Try first with Magneto just following the launcher with a jab(LP). Then press the LP twice. Then try two jabs and a HP(fierce punch). Then the zigzag(LP, LK, LP, LK, HP, HK). Then 4 hits of the zigzag and a special move. Also, some characters launch the opponent in akward angles and not that high, some other like magneto and his crouching HP launch the opponent straight up a nice distance and can follow up easily.

Fun Fact: Magneto's crouching forward HP attack looks the same as the crouching down or down back, but does a point of damage more.

Been watching Mahvel videos and commentary solidly now, not sure how I'm going to deal with still like 2 weeks to go as only just got PSN update yesterdy. Fat Princess has done nothing to distract me since its impossible to get into any online games!

When I get into playing, Magneto and Sentinel will be mainstays, but will experiment with Cyclops and Psylocke and maybe slip a bit of Iron Man in there. My MvsC1 team used to be War Machine and Venom, but I don't think theyre very good at all in MvsC2!

LiK

Fortinbras said:
I've got the same problems. Fuck Backbone.

Also...what happened to the difficulty settings? Even easy is kinda hard...

sometimes i wonder if those difficulty settings in Capcom 2D fighters are a joke.

LiK

Diablohead said:
151 combo is the highest I can get, going to have to learn some broken combo's I think.

from which character? my HS friend could get up to around that everytime with Spider-Man's air combos. he had the whole thing memorized.

LiK said:
from which character? my HS friend could get up to around that everytime with Spider-Man's air combos. he had the whole thing memorized.
BBHood, Tron and Cable, I pulled a 3 ultra when someone had his support character out so both took most of the blows :lol

LiK

Diablohead said:
BBHood, Tron and Cable, I pulled a 3 ultra when someone had his support character out so both took most of the blows :lol

oh, i see. my friend could just do it with one character followed with supers. pretty deadly in the arcades. i wish i can be that good with air combos T_T

Top Bottom