• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom® 2(XBLA PSN) |OT| - F*CK THE KNICKS

gutabo

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Oh here's a simple combo for Cammy. Do the launcher, do a couple hits, then a FK air cannon drill, follow up with her quarter-circle back P super(the maximum spider-esque one where she flies through the air delivering hits). It'll catch your opponent before he hits the ground and do some nice damage.

Oh and btw her cannon-drill assist is a bitch to deal with. I got ruined by a Cable + Cammy earlier today. I forget what his third character was but needless to say I didn't last long enough to remember.

Oh and yes glitched juggs is nothing to mess with. A standing FK into Headcrush will do about 75%. Assist punches I'm thinking about 20% or so, and so on. He makes for a good Novice character as it doesn't take much for him to do a lot of damage. Course if you start the match with Jugg most players will know you're attempting the glitch and will do whatever it takes to stop you. Course you could take advantage of this but eh I dunno, Juggernaut really isn't much for mind games.
About that Cammy combo: Check this out :p

EDIT: I'm going to have lunch, if someone needs help please let me know. I'll be back.

04CLiGJhbC9BFQUXXFJRFjc2L2FjaC8wLzUAAAAA5+fn-ISnkQ==.jpg

217 Hit hyper combo :lol :D

TheSeks said:
Just choose Cable and link into his hyper three times. :lol

Cable/Cable/Cable

(If that's the right link)

You'll get the 200 hit achievement (which is what I'm assuming you're after) easy. Do it in practice for an even easier time.

You can only get the achievement in multi, and you can't pick cable 3 times there. Found a rather easy way now anyway :p

gutabo said:
About that Cammy combo: Check this out :p

EDIT: I'm going to have lunch, if someone needs help please let me know. I'll be back.

Yeesh that's a lot to absorb. :lol

My biggest problem is hitting all of the various LPs and LKs, I usually just throw out a couple and then go for the special/super.

Diablohead said:
You can only get the achievement in multi, and you can't pick cable 3 times there. Found a rather easy way now anyway :p

Local counts as "Multiplayer" for purposes of Achievements, apparently, because I got the 200-hit one as Iron Man/Iron Man/Iron Man while fighting my roommate. He brought out his team for a THC just as I was doing the same and he got molested. :p

I played last night for the first time in a long time and wow, ummm, I am rusty to say the least :lol. Great to play it with a TE stick though and I am looking forward to getting whooped all weekend long :p

kai3345

Banned
Just got it, played a few matches. Goddamn these people are good.

I'm still having fun though.

But one thing ive noticed people doing is switching their playable fighter in the fight. How do you do that?

I always thought it was that you had to wait for your first fighter to get knocked out, then play as the next guy, etc.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
gutabo said:
Sorry, after all these years, it's a bad habit :( I'm trying!
Don't stop.

You can't just get this level of customized technical info anywhere. :lol
kai3345 said:

But one thing ive noticed people doing is switching their playable fighter in the fight. How do you do that?

I always thought it was that you had to wait for your first fighter to get knocked out, then play as the next guy, etc.
LP and LK at the same time for your first character (whoever's life bar is on top), and HP and HK at the same time for the other one.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
kai3345 said:

... Again, I swear you people need hand-holding to learn these things. :lol

HP/WP Assist 1
HP/WP Assist 2

switch in by pressing both of those.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
TheSeks said:

HP/WP Assist 1
HP/WP Assist 2

I should note here that there is a help file in the game that explains the controls for everything. :D

Dunno about you guys but I've started placing random joke characters in my team when faced with Magneto/Storm/Sentinel/etc teams. Actually put up a bit of a fight against somebody while using BB Hood, Guile, and Roll.

Teknoman

TheSeks said:

HP/WP Assist 1
HP/WP Assist 2

Same type punch and kicks switch as well.

easy arcade gets me most of the time at stage 7 or the boss, but online is a different story as I can kind of hold my own at the moment, until the weekend pros come wipe the floor to clean up the scrub mess.

Tron / BBHood / IronMan ftw

If they want cheesy I throw in some Cyclops / Cable / IronMan so I can feed off their tears.

LiK

got all 4 team theme achievements. very fun. interesting to play characters i never bothered with in the arcades.

Shouta

SnakeSlashRO said:
Anyone using Fight Pads for this game? Or Mostly Sticks.

Stick is the way to go for any fancy button inputs and the like. Game is playable on a pad but a little harder and gets tiring.

Jinjo said:
You are not alone my friend. I am unable to finish arcade on easy. :lol

If you are having trouble with abyss, ken is awesome for his first form, you can keep hurricane kicking over him if you time it right. Then I usually use a character with a super fireball like Ryu or Cable for the last two forms, kicks his ass good.

HiResDes

SuperEnemyCrab said:
If you are having trouble with abyss, ken is awesome for his first form, you can keep hurricane kicking over him if you time it right. Then I usually use a character with a super fireball like Ryu or Cable for the last two forms, kicks his ass good.
Here is a way to defeat Abyss, get Cable, Wolverine, and Ironman...During Abyss's first form use Wolverine's special attacks...Then during the 2nd form abuse Cable's small pistol, and during the 3rd use IronMan or Cable's super.

Captain N

Diablohead said:
04CLiGJhbC9BFQUXXFJRFjc2L2FjaC8wLzUAAAAA5+fn-ISnkQ==.jpg

217 Hit hyper combo :lol :D

well you can pick cable/cable/cable vs cable/cable cable with two controllers in your hand. it's very simple to cheese your way through almost all of the trophies / achievements.

Captain N said:
well you can pick cable/cable/cable vs cable/cable cable with two controllers in your hand. it's very simple to cheese your way through almost all of the trophies / achievements.
The ones I honestly think I will be stuck getting are the single player ones, going to take ages for me to learn what's what with new teams I hardly use.

Anyone find making ranked rooms is kind of broken, I can make a regular player match room and launch it no problem but with ranked it delays the A press by like 10 seconds or so, and some people think you are idle and disconnect before the game even starts. No idea why it's not launching as instant as player matches.

LiK

Diablohead said:
The ones I honestly think I will be stuck getting are the single player ones, going to take ages for me to learn what's what with new teams I hardly use.

SP is the easiest for me. i always hated trying to do the crazy ass 100+ combos

Cynar

gutabo said:
I'll try to give you a basic rundown.

Hmmm... Gambit is the weakest link there, but he can get some meter for the team and maybe do some damage in the process. Also two anti air assists? Maybe Gambit(projectile)/Cammy(anti air)/Cyclops(anti air) can do better for now. If you learn to cover your assists properly(or feel brave) you can set Cammy as Cannon Drill assist(dont' remember the name, but it's the second one) to help Gambit better...

Gambit lacks good solo combos so you might want to stick to his standard bread & butter combo:
(jumping HP, jumping HK, ) crouching LK, crouching HP(launcher), superjump and standard zig zag pattern(LP, LK, LP, LK, HP or HK).
If your opponent doesn't roll when tripped, go for a (jumping HP, jumping HK, ) crouching LK, crouching MK, crouching HK(trip) cancelled(or "2 in 1") into Royal Flush hyper combo(qcf+PP)
and whenever you throw them dash and hit them on the ground with a crouching LK, crouching HP into an air combo.
On a vid I posted here I go for an air throw because that does some more damage.
At the beginning of Royal Flush HC, Gambit throws his staff up, and if it hits it throw opponents back to Gambit's front, where the card throwing is going on. This way only a part of the cards connect tho, and it does less damage. At least you can combo into his launcher and then do the Royal Flush and then go for a DHC.

Cammy has a solid b&b combo with a crouching LK, crouching MK, crouching HP(launch), superjump into LP, LK, MP, MK cancelled into Air Cannon Drill(qcf+HK) cancelled into the Killer Bee Attack hyper combo(qcb+PP).
Again, if the opponent doesn't roll you can follow up with a dash, crouching LK, crouching HP into an air combo again.
Her Cannon Spike has invulnerability on the way up, but it sometimes stops going up and rebounds off some projectiles so be careful.

I've already covered Cyke's basic combos here.

I hope that helps.

I loved your cyclops info, any tips on spidey? :D

Captain N

Diablohead said:

Anyone find making ranked rooms is kind of broken, I can make a regular player match room and launch it no problem but with ranked it delays the A press by like 10 seconds or so, and some people think you are idle and disconnect before the game even starts. No idea why it's not launching as instant as player matches.

there are quite a few characters you can use with each trophy/achievement. Now on top of that they even let you pick all 3 of the same character and still get the t/a.

SlickVic

Silly me for thinking I could button mash my way through easy mode on arcade but it looks like it's one of those games where easy mode=we still expect you to be decent. Can't even get past the 4th round. Tried to actually learn a few characters combos and now I can't get out of the 3rd round. :lol I don't know why constant ass whoopings in this game throughout middle school didn't scare me away from MvC2 forever but for some crazy reason I still bought this.

Anyways, guess I should pay more attention to the "How to Play" instructions in the game now. Also should go through this thread and see if anyone linked to some good tutorials for noobs.

gutabo

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Yeesh that's a lot to absorb. :lol

My biggest problem is hitting all of the various LPs and LKs, I usually just throw out a couple and then go for the special/super.
The first, biggest barrier in this game is going from "I'm just mashing buttons" to "I want to do THIS combo... here we go"(doing what you want to do). Just have patience and practice the air combos. Like I said before, some characters(specially from the marvel side) have easier air combos that don't require special positioning or precise timing.

Check this post about some tips with air combos. There's a reference to a video that you might want to take a look at.

gutabo

Monroeski said:
Don't stop.

You can't just get this level of customized technical info anywhere. :lol
Thanks! My secret plan is to get as much people as possible to enjoy the game so more people buy the game and Capcom can finally release MvC3.

It's a dream, but I'm not done dreaming yet!

ChazAshley

CharAznable's second cousin
gutabo said:
Thanks! My secret plan is to get as much people as possible to enjoy the game so more people buy the game and Capcom can finally release MvC3.

It's a dream, but I'm not done dreaming yet!

This. It's seriously great watching upcoming players and showing off what they can do in a couple of months.

here are some videos to inspire you guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9FLu3fzC40 - Sanford vs Duc Game 8 - Watch the insanity

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVmc5ZepdVs - Justin Wong - Never Give up! It's Mahvel baby!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1h1tfVYrEQ - An even bigger comeback

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hYfWHZ6gkU - Clockwork's strider is absolutely amazing. Watch the strider infinite on sentinel and the throw combos with doom assists.

Gutabo, u should teach them how to guard break!

Still amazed how beautiful the game is, they really did an amazing job with it. I was worried it would show its age but its gorgeous, everything seems smoothed out and stuff from what I remember.

<3 <3 <3 <3

gutabo

proposition said:
I am so awful at this game.
Thanks for the detailed information, it's easier to help you now! :D
proposition said:
I get totally raped by Easy arcade mode D:
OK! Now we're talking!

Back in the day, when I had to unlock everything on every friend's PS2/DC and I didn't have my memory cards at hand, to finish arcade mode many times I used to do this:

- Set the game to easiest difficulty
- Set the damage to MAX(so every hit does more damage)
- Drop the game speed to NORMAL(it should be at turbo1)
- Drop the game time to the minimum(60 or 30 seconds, don't remember)
- Use a team of Juggernaut(the punch or the body slam)/Sentinel(Drones)/Tronn(Projectile) "Team easy arcade mode"(EAM).

Now use the following strats:
-(Optional, but very useful) Glitch Juggs. You can see a brief description here and a vid here.
- ATTACK and CALL ASSISTS VERY OFTEN. STICK TO THE OPPONENT WITH HP/HK.
- To effectively use Tronn's assist, you should try normal jumping over the opponent and calling her, so all three hits connect.
- On the following combos you should combine any normal/air attack with an assist call.
- Juggs can do jumping HP, standing HP cancelled into Headcrush hyper combo(qcf+PP).
- Sent can do jumping LK(as he's rising on his jump), jumping HK cancelled into rocket punch(qcf+LP), or standing/crouching laser(HP) into rocket punch(any version) into Drones HC(qcf+KK), repeat if it hits(it does combo again).
- Sent can also fly(qcb+KK) and repeat the first pattern from above(air LK+assist call, air HK into LP rocket punch). Also, while flying, any character can call assists but they can't block.
Sent's fly mode is one of the best of the game due to its speed. So you can fly, get close to the opponent, call Tronn, get to the opponent's back and attack.
- The general idea is comboing the AI to death and never use Tronn on point.
- If you get pushed away from the opponent, superjump close to him.

Against abbyss:
- First form: wait, then a soon as he's about to attack you, superjump over him and punish his laggy attacks.
- Second form: Easy, tag Sent in, fly close to him(try to be above his short range flames) and use HK or the first combo from above(air LK, air HK into LP rocket punch).
- Third form: Maybe the trickiest with this team, you have to attack the ball(any fast combo), then as soon as the monster appears, run away. He will do some long range attacks(block them) and will chase you again(with a huge venom fang like move). As soon as the ball(and only the ball) is close to you, attack it again. Wash, rinse and repeat.

I hope this helps people having issues with arcade mode.

M.J. Doja

Banned
Shouta said:
Stick is the way to go for any fancy button inputs and the like. Game is playable on a pad but a little harder and gets tiring.
yeah i made the move to stick exclusively for this game a while back.
its just the tapping of assists that gets insanely annoying on controller. however i still love the dreamcast controller with triggers :D (not for this game though)

gutabo

Cynar said:
I loved your cyclops info, any tips on spidey? :D
Spidey lacks damage, ways to safely combo into his HC(hyper combos), has decent air mobility, standard priority on his moves and takes damage badly(low stamina). He has some laggy moves that can be punished easily(that means he can't chip safely either) so be careful and try to limit the use of them only to combos. At least he builds decent meter.

If your opponent doesn't roll when tripped, you can combo into a trip(crouching HK) into his Crawler Assault HC(hcb+KK) and then DHC for more damage. There's no reliable way to combo every time into maximum spider HC or ultimate web throw HC without assists. You can try to combo into fierce spider sting(dragon punch motion+HP, only one hit) cancelled into Maximun Spider(qcf+PP) or UWT(qcb+PP), but it's character specific(that means it works in some characters only), and will sometimes randomly fail. He has a sometimes useful wall jump.

If backed up with damaging assists he can do some stuff but first, what's your team?

EDIT: Hey, I found a vid on youtube while looking for the old James Chen MvC2 vids... it's here, but it's kinda weird cause they don't really explain what's going on in the vid...

neoism

lol I still suck, but I did beat easy mode in like 15 minutes though.:lol :lol :lol Used 2 Wolv's and Cable!

gutabo

ChazAshley said:
This. It's seriously great watching upcoming players and showing off what they can do in a couple of months.

here are some videos to inspire you guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9FLu3fzC40 - Sanford vs Duc Game 8 - Watch the insanity

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVmc5ZepdVs - Justin Wong - Never Give up! It's Mahvel baby!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1h1tfVYrEQ - An even bigger comeback

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hYfWHZ6gkU - Clockwork's strider is absolutely amazing. Watch the strider infinite on sentinel and the throw combos with doom assists.

Gutabo, u should teach them how to guard break!
Man, that's some advanced stuff... it might scare some people, others won't understand what's going on, let's hope for the best.

Hmmm... about the guard break stuff, I posted an old vid of mine here(direct link here).

--- START OF LONG WALL OF TEXT ABOUT WHY GUARDBREAKS WORK ---
In MvC2, there are "states" your character can be in, like standing, crouching, blocking, attacking, getting hit, jumping, super jumping, and so on. Each state has it own properties. Let's focus on the normal jumping state. This is a state where your character is airborne, can attack and can block, BUT unlike super jumping, where you can do as many attacks as you want, you can only do one "action", and nothing else(except double/triple jumping). What counts as an action?
- Attacking
- Blocking
- Double/triple jumping

Double/triple jumping is the easiest of all, cause you can always do it , no matter what. If you have already attacked(let's say an air LK while going up in the jump), and you're falling helplessly into your opponent, you can tap up and you will air jump(if you haven't already, i.e. you still have an available jump) and you will RECOVER you ability to attack or block. Let's say you're Cyclops and you tried to jump and kick Sent while going up in your jump and missed. After your kick animation is done, you can jump again and recover your action, so you can try to kick him again while falling, block any of his attacks and so on. Finally, if you double/triple jump, you can call an assist again.

Attacking is a bit more complicated. You can do any normal attack, special move or hyper combo and it will count as an action. Also, you can cancel a whiffed normal attack into a special move OR a hyper combo, or you can cancel a conected(blocked or not) normal attack into a chain combo(character specific) and into a special more OR a hyper combo. You can't cancel a special move into a hyper combo because the game engine counts the special into hyper combo cancelling as ANOTHER extra action, and that's restricted to the grounded or superjumping states. So Cyclops can jump in, air LK Sent in the face and combo it into a HK and then combo it into an air optic blast(qcf+P) OR the Super Optic Blast(qcf+KK) for more damage. You have an assist call per normal jump.

Blocking is kinda tricky. You can only block once while normal jumping. BUT if another attack connects while you are blocking and the blocking animation is not done yet, you can block again and again and again. So multi hit stuff like Ryu's Shinkuu Hadouken(qcf+PP) is completely blockable, but after it's done, and the blocking animation is done and the character is still airborne, it won't be able to block. IF(big if) you're hit and your hit animation ends, you can block again.

So that means that against any normal jumping opponent, you can make an attack, get it blocked, then wait for the block animation to end, and then attack again for profit. It's just a timing thing. The easier way to do this is when a character is killed(or snapbacked) and the next one jumps into the stage, because that jump is a NORMAL JUMP. Here's a vid showing some guardbreaks that way. Some characters(Cable) can do it from anywhere on the screen, while most of the other characters need an assist and a cornered opponent.

If you are about to be victimized by a guard break you can always try to throw off the timing of the other guy by pushblocking, taking the hit(you will be able to block afterwards) or doing a special/HC/DHC, but still the ball's in the attacker's court because he can react accordingly and still combo you out of your escape attempt.
--- END OF LONG WALL OF TEXT ABOUT WHY GUARDBREAKS WORK ---

tl;dr version: Check this vid about guardbreaks with some characters.

dralla

the only thing you really need to know about guard braking is when you kill a character and a new one's coming in, they can only block once before they hit the ground. So if you're playing as Cable and a new guy is about to come in, jump and shoot his pistol with fierce punch right as the new character is entering the screen, than use an air hyper beam. Since he's going to block the pistol and use his one chance to block, he won't be able to block the AHB.

sure there's more to it, but that's really the most important/most common use for it.

unless you're a hardcore MvC2 player competing in tournaments of course. but this seems like a more casual MvC2 crowd

Top Bottom