• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom® 2(XBLA PSN) |OT| - F*CK THE KNICKS

gutabo

poserdonut said:
Would a team with cammy, cyclops and gambit work or am I doomed for more then normal failure?
I'll try to give you a basic rundown.

Hmmm... Gambit is the weakest link there, but he can get some meter for the team and maybe do some damage in the process. Also two anti air assists? Maybe Gambit(projectile)/Cammy(anti air)/Cyclops(anti air) can do better for now. If you learn to cover your assists properly(or feel brave) you can set Cammy as Cannon Drill assist(dont' remember the name, but it's the second one) to help Gambit better...

Gambit lacks good solo combos so you might want to stick to his standard bread & butter combo:
(jumping HP, jumping HK, ) crouching LK, crouching HP(launcher), superjump and standard zig zag pattern(LP, LK, LP, LK, HP or HK).
If your opponent doesn't roll when tripped, go for a (jumping HP, jumping HK, ) crouching LK, crouching MK, crouching HK(trip) cancelled(or "2 in 1") into Royal Flush hyper combo(qcf+PP)
and whenever you throw them dash and hit them on the ground with a crouching LK, crouching HP into an air combo.
On a vid I posted here I go for an air throw because that does some more damage.
At the beginning of Royal Flush HC, Gambit throws his staff up, and if it hits it throw opponents back to Gambit's front, where the card throwing is going on. This way only a part of the cards connect tho, and it does less damage. At least you can combo into his launcher and then do the Royal Flush and then go for a DHC.

Cammy has a solid b&b combo with a crouching LK, crouching MK, crouching HP(launch), superjump into LP, LK, MP, MK cancelled into Air Cannon Drill(qcf+HK) cancelled into the Killer Bee Attack hyper combo(qcb+PP).
Again, if the opponent doesn't roll you can follow up with a dash, crouching LK, crouching HP into an air combo again.
Her Cannon Spike has invulnerability on the way up, but it sometimes stops going up and rebounds off some projectiles so be careful.

I've already covered Cyke's basic combos here.

I hope that helps.

gutabo

HiResDes said:
I think I've gotten pretty damn good with Magneto, my Sentinel is okay...I have the easy 5 or 6 hit air combos down with him, but I'm having trouble finding a third player. I was using Cable, but I got tired of using and wanted a striker. I really like Psylocke and I really like Strider, but both I can't manage to get any of their longer air combos down. Any recommendations?
Your team is missing a true anti air. Some people use Magneto projectile as anti air, but that's not the case here. I have already given some tips about Cyclops here, but you could use commando too. He's great with Sent, but doesn't help Mags much combo wise. Just take a character with a good anti air assist that you feel comfortable with, then check the team dynamics. Does it help you combo more(if you like to do combos)? Does it keep the enemy away(if you play keepaway)? It depends on your general strategy.

Hope that helps.

FunBoy

Just bought this for 360 looking forward to having my ass handed to me by the sounds of things on here lol.

My gamertag is fbee if any uk/euro gaf want to add me.

gutabo

SecretBonusPoint said:
Been watching Mahvel videos and commentary solidly now, not sure how I'm going to deal with still like 2 weeks to go as only just got PSN update yesterdy. Fat Princess has done nothing to distract me since its impossible to get into any online games!

When I get into playing, Magneto and Sentinel will be mainstays, but will experiment with Cyclops and Psylocke and maybe slip a bit of Iron Man in there. My MvsC1 team used to be War Machine and Venom, but I don't think theyre very good at all in MvsC2!
Venom got nerfed from MvC1 and has to sweat to do damage. He can work around some stuff with his Venom Fang, but besides that(and the ability to glitch the game) he has little going on for him.

War machine got nerfed too, he's little more than a slower Iron Man with projectiles instead of beams, an unreliable Proton Cannon HC but with a sometimes useful anti air HC(that's not enough to counter all the bad). There's no golden war machine in MvC2(the hyper armor one).

Your anti air options(Cyke and Psy) are good(Psy lacks vertical reack but makes up for it combo wise). If you are not a combo maniac I would go for Cyke tho. If you played MvC1 war machine you should try using Iron Man on your team. His anti air assist gives whacky combos to Mags and Sent. But you'll have to be aggresive to overcome the lack of a real anti air.

I did a playthrough of MvsC2 last year when rumblings of this port first started, and Cyclops was a character I'd not given a fair shake before then. Definitely going to be putting in a lot of Cyke time, as his speed is wonderful, with multiple double kick air-moves and a special that can hit almost anywhere due to you being able to aim it. Sentinel is just brute force, but its Magneto I still need to learn mostly, but probably not to the point of his ROM infinites and whatnot because thats a little too complex and out of my league. God even just talking about it, this is ridiculous torture.

I used to play MvsC1 a shitload in the arcades, like an addiction, but my arcade never got MvsC2 in, so I only had that on my DC and playing my obviously not battle hardened friends, so this will really be my first exposure to higher tier Mahvel players. Got my ass kicked at SF4 really, despite learning a competent Cammy (which means nothing to an average Sagat), but am confident I can do at least average with Mahvel!

Will be weird if MvsC3 does get approved/materialise, since it'll be going from 2's absolutely fucking crazy big roster to a more moderate one like MvsC1's and Tatsunoko's ...

gutabo

Askia47 said:
We all know who the top tier is, but I was wondering who are the worst characters to use in the game?
IIRC, Roll had her own lower tier. Then there was Servbot, Dan, Zangief, then a little up Shuma Gorath, Sabretooth, Chun li and some others.

gutabo

voodoopanda said:
If I had to guess at worst characters, it'd be Dan/Servbot/Roll. Aka the greatest team.
Back in the day I sometimes used this team: Spiral(expansion)/Servbot(balance)/Capcom(anti air). Whenever I had two levels of meter I went for the triple hyper combo Spiral's rushing Metamorphosis and Kobun Frenzy for lots of chip damage, and Spiral+Capcom for damage....

Roll can kill a character with normal stamina with a corner combo with an assist, two throws and a final HC but she really is bad in this game.

LiK

gutabo said:
IIRC, Roll had his own lower tier. Then there was Servbot, Dan, Zangief, then a little up Shuma Gorath, Sabretooth, Chun li and some others.

i would agree about most of those except for Shuma Gorath. i saw guys in the arcade rip people apart with him. i never got any good using him tho.

kai3345

Banned
Getting this game today :D

I remember I had it on the PS2 that I had gotten for 5 bucks at half price books.

But the disc was so fucked up that only about half of the characters worked or else the game crashed.

But I got a few good matches out of it, but then I eventually sold it to gamestop for like 60 bucks or something like that.

Anyway, can't wait to actually play the full game.

gutabo said:
IIRC, Roll had his own lower tier. Then there was Servbot, Dan, Zangief, then a little up Shuma Gorath, Sabretooth, Chun li and some others.

Roll is a girl.

I'd agree Roll/Servbot/Dan is the absolute worst combonation of characters.

I <3 Dan though, and servbot's animation is amazing so I <3 him too.

I'm not sure if it's my connection or it's something else but some of my games with ping times of like 50 have been a big laggy. I got killed by a disappearing Magneto because he would disappear while rushing me down so I had no idea which way to block! It drove me nuts! Besides the lag sometimes getting me killed in this twitchy game, they did a good job on it. I've gotten some funny messages on xbl from people after using Strider/Doom :lol

gutabo

SecretBonusPoint said:
I did a playthrough of MvsC2 last year when rumblings of this port first started, and Cyclops was a character I'd not given a fair shake before then. Definitely going to be putting in a lot of Cyke time, as his speed is wonderful, with multiple double kick air-moves and a special that can hit almost anywhere due to you being able to aim it. Sentinel is just brute force, but its Magneto I still need to learn mostly, but probably not to the point of his ROM infinites and whatnot because thats a little too complex and out of my league. God even just talking about it, this is ridiculous torture.

I used to play MvsC1 a shitload in the arcades, like an addiction, but my arcade never got MvsC2 in, so I only had that on my DC and playing my obviously not battle hardened friends, so this will really be my first exposure to higher tier Mahvel players. Got my ass kicked at SF4 really, despite learning a competent Cammy (which means nothing to an average Sagat), but am confident I can do at least average with Mahvel!

Will be weird if MvsC3 does get approved/materialise, since it'll be going from 2's absolutely fucking crazy big roster to a more moderate one like MvsC1's and Tatsunoko's ...
Cyke's a very underrated character(not if your name is Justin Wong tho) and it can help Magneto more than most people think. And speaking about Mags, ROM is not a must, but being able to triangle jump consistently is. Mags can still do solid damage without ROMing and even Shockwave combos are viable. Heck, he even has plenty of throw resets that are more reliable than ROM resets, cause if the opp techs the throw you can still guardbreak them.

Let's hope for the best in MvC3's case... at this point, just having a game named MvC3 would be a victory for me, a dream come true. And seeing SF4(all the good and the bad) makes me feel even better.

LiK

gutabo said:
Let's hope for the best in MvC3's case... at this point, just having a game named MvC3 would be a victory for me, a dream come true. And seeing SF4(all the good and the bad) makes me feel even better.

yes, toss out those 1 hit wonder characters like Marrow and put in the Fantastic Four or other classics Marvel characters instead. :D

LiK

i was playing Arcade mode and did anyone notice that Rogue is unusually tough compared to the other characters? i only had problems with her AI/defense over and over again. hrm...

I am having so much fun with this dumb game, it's amazing. I'm a complete scrub but somehow I've been winning most of the time ( must be facing some complete scrubs as well).
Anyhow I play with Tron, B.B. Hood and Sentinel (what a beast), can someone give me any advice?. I really love Sent's ground assist, it really screws over people who are new to this game.

LiK

so interesting to see what characters you guys are playing as. completely different than all the mains from back in the day.

gutabo

LiK said:
i would agree about most of those except for Shuma Gorath. i saw guys in the arcade rip people apart with him. i never got any good using him tho.
Shuma has the novelty factor going on for him/her/it(like a good spiral or a good anakaris), but once you get over it...(unlike spiral and anakaris). But the player has a big factor there(like Justin Wong's "god tier cammy")...

If I remember correctly, Shuma had some weird stuff going on for it, for instance, it could "cancel" its LK as much as he wanted on a normal jump(usually you can only do one action on a normal jump, being it attack or block), dash under many stuff it wasn't supposed to, and many weird things like that. In the end it relied too much on godly assists and the novelty factor. But I could be wrong and I know a couple of guys(shuma hardcore users) who will be very happy if so!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Diablohead said:
151 combo is the highest I can get, going to have to learn some broken combo's I think.

Just choose Cable and link into his hyper three times. :lol

Cable/Cable/Cable

(If that's the right link)

You'll get the 200 hit achievement (which is what I'm assuming you're after) easy. Do it in practice for an even easier time.

proposition said:
I really like Jill.

I love Jill. But landing her specials (not her hypers, I mean the summon Zombie/Crow/Dog/Tyrant) is kinda hard. Esp. the Tyrant attack (which can do serious damage, but it's hard to land).

I generally use her with Chun-Li anti-air. Makes their duo combo clear the bottom floor (If I remember Chun-li's special for that A/B/Y right... it's the little "bubble" one).

gutabo

The Interrobanger said:
Roll is a girl.

I'd agree Roll/Servbot/Dan is the absolute worst combonation of characters.

I <3 Dan though, and servbot's animation is amazing so I <3 him too.

I stand corrected. SHE is the worst of the cast. At least Servbot has some HCs that in some cases deal insane damage IF BLOCKED, and Dan can infinite you(via hyper combos) to death if he gets you cornered and has the meter. Servbot also has his size going on for him and dan has a taunt that gives him lots of meter and a dragon punch that every set number of times(4) is invincible.

I love servbot too <3<3<3

gutabo

LiK said:
i was playing Arcade mode and did anyone notice that Rogue is unusually tough compared to the other characters? i only had problems with her AI/defense over and over again. hrm...
Storm and Rogue's AI can do inhuman things... just pushblock a lot and punish!

I've been rolling with Cable/Jugsy/BB Hood. Pretty decent team. Lots of chip damage with BBs super, Headcrush can be nasty, and Cable is, well, Cable.

gutabo

VoteForPedro said:
I am having so much fun with this dumb game, it's amazing. I'm a complete scrub but somehow I've been winning most of the time ( must be facing some complete scrubs as well).
Anyhow I play with Tron, B.B. Hood and Sentinel (what a beast), can someone give me any advice?. I really love Sent's ground assist, it really screws over people who are new to this game.
BBHood is your weakest link. Also, you're missing an anti air. Sent's drones assist can work as a pseud anti air but if you're being rushed you can do better. Care to explain your main strat with the team to help you better? Like, you run away waiting for the chance to unleash a THC(triple hyper combo), you try to crossup your opponent, or something else?

LiK

gutabo said:
Storm and Rogue's AI can do inhuman things... just pushblock a lot and punish!

i can still beat them easily, but it just takes way more time. i think Rogue has thicker skin than Hulk :lol

gutabo

LiK said:
i can still beat them easily, but it just takes way more time. i think Rogue has thicker skin than Hulk :lol
Well, she can steal defense up, super armor and hyper armor so that makes her way thougher than hulk in the game if she does!

LiK

gutabo said:
Well, she can steal defense up, super armor and hyper armor so that makes her way thougher than hulk in the game if she does!

ah, that explains it. i don't play Rogue much so i never checked out her moves or specials.

gutabo

DanDeschain said:
I've been rolling with Cable/Jugsy/BB Hood. Pretty decent team. Lots of chip damage with BBs super, Headcrush can be nasty, and Cable is, well, Cable.
If you can glitch Juggs safely(start with him, do a "power up"-dragon punch motion+PP- and tag him out before he makes any attack to make the damage bonus permanent), more power to you! I would be afraid not only of the glitched headcrush, but from any of his glitched hits!

Anyone using Fight Pads for this game? Or Mostly Sticks.

I had someone on XBLA rant and rave how I spam specials and combos and demanded to know what controller I was using. And went on a rampage about how why cant people use "normal controllers" to play the game.

I loled.

LiK

SnakeSlashRO said:
Anyone using Fight Pads for this game? Or Mostly Sticks.

I had someone on XBLA rant and rave how I spam specials and combos and demanded to know what controller I was using. And went on a rampage about how why cant people use "normal controllers" to play the game.

I loled.

stick is def the way to go. when i got the DC versions of MvC1 and MvC2, i bought a stick for the DC just to play them.

LiK said:
stick is def the way to go. when i got the DC versions of MvC1 and MvC2, i bought a stick for the DC just to play them.

I envy you stick people. I couldn't use it to save my life. :lol

I normally go with Saturn Pad, but I couldnt wait on PS3... ( Wasted a grip of money )

The fun makes it worth it.

gutabo

DanDeschain said:
To see a nice example of a "glitched" Juggs, check this video out. You can clearly see the power up, the tag out and then when Juggs comes back, the damage the does. Mike Z for the win!

gutabo

LiK said:
Same here, I bought a DC just for MvC2! I made my own stick, I will post some pics later.

Oh here's a simple combo for Cammy. Do the launcher, do a couple hits, then a FK air cannon drill, follow up with her quarter-circle back P super(the maximum spider-esque one where she flies through the air delivering hits). It'll catch your opponent before he hits the ground and do some nice damage.

Oh and btw her cannon-drill assist is a bitch to deal with. I got ruined by a Cable + Cammy earlier today. I forget what his third character was but needless to say I didn't last long enough to remember.

Oh and yes glitched juggs is nothing to mess with. A standing FK into Headcrush will do about 75%. Assist punches I'm thinking about 20% or so, and so on. He makes for a good Novice character as it doesn't take much for him to do a lot of damage(though it certainly helps to know how to get a hit in). Course if you start the match with Jugg most players will know you're attempting the glitch and will do whatever it takes to stop you. Course you could take advantage of this but eh I dunno, Juggernaut really isn't much for mind games.

I mean shit just watch the video. He ruined Storm like nothing at all.

Probably going to end up dumping BB Hood eventually, maybe drop her down to alt or something along with Felicia. I hate to do this but I'm seriously considering mainlining Cyclops.

Top Bottom