• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom® 2(XBLA PSN) |OT| - F*CK THE KNICKS

Shame I'm moving soon to a place with limited internet access. Wireless is available but playing online is right out.

Oh well it was a good time for awhile. Maybe I can convince my new room-mates to play some MvC2 with me. =/

G-Fex

yay I finally won one match. and with my new characters I started using Iceman and Psylocke. Good stuff. Gambit is pretty much also one of my favorites. BTW, not playing seriously at all.

Agggh. I guess my trueskill rating's been bumped up, as tonight I fought really good Cable and Sentinel players almost exclusively. Most of them seemed to be waiting and counterpicking too. It was brutal! I can't take this heat! These dudes have obviously been playing for years. I've only been at this for three days! They should be more gentle. They should also stop joining my lobby if they've got a high ping. 2 much lag 2nite.

Also had a ton of droppers and my first hate message. It was voice, too! He was mumbling something about "that cheap fucking Doctor Doom" and "I would have beaten you but..." It was great. I sent him a text reply and he sent me another message, this time screaming so I could understand him. It was nice.

I had some questions I was going to ask but I've forgotten most of them now that I'm tired.I did run into a few dudes who used Servbot. They only seemed to use him for his HC. Is that all he's good for? I was usually able to block it but it did a lot of chip damage. Am I supposed to try and superjump over it or something? I know Servbot's supposed to suck but I have the hardest time hitting the little bastard. :(

Manus

Man people be using Iron Man in ranked matches like Ken in SF4. I get so tired of the Proton Cannon spam.

Yama

Team Scrub keep away is all I see. So beatable with timed rush, but boring as hell.

Anyone want some matches add me. Message GAF to YamaMX

I'm on now.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Gutabo, any tips on Captain America? He's my main character, use him in every team.

DR2K

Banned
liposome said:
Can anyone recommend good partners for Spidey? Or even a third character for a Spidey + Cammy + Whoever team?

Tron Projectile assist. It's his best friend.

Rotanibor

K2Valor said:
Gutabo, any tips on Captain America? He's my main character, use him in every team.

Yeah I am wondering this as well. I tried using Captain America a bit, but he seems very bad in this game. Incidently, I was also intrested in Doom who ended up being very good in this game. Apparently Doom's sweet assist can make certain characters playable, so is there any way for me to get Captain America working?

Also for a 3rd, I was thinking Strider, which turned out to work pretty well with Doom from what I understand. I am still working out my team at the moment, and haven't fixed Strider into this position yet. I had also briefly considered Zangief, which I may throw in as an alt when having fun.

Thanks for any help!

Nemesis_

Is it bad that I am always using an Assist where possible, in addition to standard moves and special moves? It just seems to cheap. >_>

Using Iceman, Storm and Cable. >_>

LiK

Nemesis556 said:
Is it bad that I am always using an Assist where possible, in addition to standard moves and special moves? It just seems to cheap. >_>

Using Iceman, Storm and Cable. >_>
They're assists so using them whenever is part of the strat. If guys can't block them, that's good for you ;)

Nemesis_

LiK said:
They're assists so using them whenever is part of the strat. If guys can't block them, that's good for you ;)
Basically, if I jump, I make sure I summon an assist to cover the area where I was.

My general strategy is to always be attacking somewhere on the screen at all times - leave no areas open. :D

Also, is it a sin to use JUST ranged attacks? >_> Just a question - not that I do that or anything. =P

gutabo said:
I'll try to give you a basic rundown.

Hmmm... Gambit is the weakest link there, but he can get some meter for the team and maybe do some damage in the process. Also two anti air assists? Maybe Gambit(projectile)/Cammy(anti air)/Cyclops(anti air) can do better for now. If you learn to cover your assists properly(or feel brave) you can set Cammy as Cannon Drill assist(dont' remember the name, but it's the second one) to help Gambit better...

Gambit lacks good solo combos so you might want to stick to his standard bread & butter combo:
(jumping HP, jumping HK, ) crouching LK, crouching HP(launcher), superjump and standard zig zag pattern(LP, LK, LP, LK, HP or HK).
If your opponent doesn't roll when tripped, go for a (jumping HP, jumping HK, ) crouching LK, crouching MK, crouching HK(trip) cancelled(or "2 in 1") into Royal Flush hyper combo(qcf+PP)
and whenever you throw them dash and hit them on the ground with a crouching LK, crouching HP into an air combo.
On a vid I posted here I go for an air throw because that does some more damage.
At the beginning of Royal Flush HC, Gambit throws his staff up, and if it hits it throw opponents back to Gambit's front, where the card throwing is going on. This way only a part of the cards connect tho, and it does less damage. At least you can combo into his launcher and then do the Royal Flush and then go for a DHC.

Cammy has a solid b&b combo with a crouching LK, crouching MK, crouching HP(launch), superjump into LP, LK, MP, MK cancelled into Air Cannon Drill(qcf+HK) cancelled into the Killer Bee Attack hyper combo(qcb+PP).
Again, if the opponent doesn't roll you can follow up with a dash, crouching LK, crouching HP into an air combo again.
Her Cannon Spike has invulnerability on the way up, but it sometimes stops going up and rebounds off some projectiles so be careful.

I've already covered Cyke's basic combos here.

I hope that helps.

Thanks for all the great tips, I really appreciate it. I haven't really dedicated me to that team though so who would you switch Gambit for? He's the one char I don't really care about if I have to switch.

gutabo

dralla said:
the only thing you really need to know about guard braking is when you kill a character and a new one's coming in, they can only block once before they hit the ground. So if you're playing as Cable and a new guy is about to come in, jump and shoot his pistol with fierce punch right as the new character is entering the screen, than use an air hyper beam. Since he's going to block the pistol and use his one chance to block, he won't be able to block the AHB.

sure there's more to it, but that's really the most important/most common use for it.

unless you're a hardcore MvC2 player competing in tournaments of course. but this seems like a more casual MvC2 crowd
Sorry for making things too complicated, I always try to understand things and I also think that people think like I do so I guess that's a bad combination :(

The video I posted also has guardbreaks with assists for some other characters. Once people understand the guardbreak basic concept it's easy to replicate it with other characters and assists.

Another piece of general advice: If an assist(like Capcom or Doom) is giving you trouble, try to snapback him in as soon as possible and go for the kill with a guardbreak.

Sorry again, I will try not to overcomplicate things in the future.

SquirrelNuckle said:
Man people be using Iron Man in ranked matches like Ken in SF4. I get so tired of the Proton Cannon spam.
His chip damage is good, block his special and still take like 8% hp loss. Add that to BB Hood's and Tron and even if they block you do 20%, good good.

gutabo

liposome said:
Can anyone recommend good partners for Spidey? Or even a third character for a Spidey + Cammy + Whoever team?
I must say after all these years, I'm biased towards the top tier(and for good reasons). DR2K is right, Tron's projectile assist helps spidey a lot. Also Doom's AAA(anti air assist) helps ANY team(like Rotanibor Eht said) so he's an option too, but it all depends on your main strategy. Do you rush the enemy down(attack all the time)? If so, Tron projectile is a good choice. Do you play mostly keepaway(spam projectiles from afar)? Doom AAA can help you some there(you just have to cover him i.e. with a superjump). There are more general strategies, but it all depends on what is your plan and who can help you the best. Cammy has a good anti air assist, and her cannon drill assist is nice too if you know how to cover its recovery. Comboing with Cammy's AAA is tricky but it's a good "get off me" assist. On the other hand, Cammy's cannon drill assist can help Spidey with some whacky combos. It all depends on your strat.

I have listed some cammy strats here.

Cynar

gutabo said:
Spidey lacks damage, ways to safely combo into his HC(hyper combos), has decent air mobility, standard priority on his moves and takes damage badly(low stamina). He has some laggy moves that can be punished easily(that means he can't chip safely either) so be careful and try to limit the use of them only to combos. At least he builds decent meter.

If your opponent doesn't roll when tripped, you can combo into a trip(crouching HK) into his Crawler Assault HC(hcb+KK) and then DHC for more damage. There's no reliable way to combo every time into maximum spider HC or ultimate web throw HC without assists. You can try to combo into fierce spider sting(dragon punch motion+HP, only one hit) cancelled into Maximun Spider(qcf+PP) or UWT(qcb+PP), but it's character specific(that means it works in some characters only), and will sometimes randomly fail. He has a sometimes useful wall jump.

If backed up with damaging assists he can do some stuff but first, what's your team?

EDIT: Hey, I found a vid on youtube while looking for the old James Chen MvC2 vids... it's here, but it's kinda weird cause they don't really explain what's going on in the vid...

Thanks a lot :D

gutabo

K2Valor said:
Use Final Justice HC(qcf+PP) for damage (it combos after a standing HK) and Hyper Charging Star(qcf+KK) for chip damage. Forget he has a projectile move outside combos and only use it if normal moves with lag have been blocked(like his launcher). Rely on the nice priority of his shield attacks, like his air HP. He has a double jump so abuse it(and call assists while doing it/crossing up the opponent). His air combos are nothing to write home about(he has no air hyper combos). It's better to do a standard air combo ending with HP and HK so you can keep the pressure on the opponent. If the opponent lets you use the cartwheel, cross him up with it after calling an assist. IIRC you can DHC for a tiny little while after the final hit of the Final Justice HC and you should only DHC after that hit because that hit makes a lot of damage.

gutabo

Rotanibor Eht said:
Yeah I am wondering this as well. I tried using Captain America a bit, but he seems very bad in this game. Incidently, I was also intrested in Doom who ended up being very good in this game. Apparently Doom's sweet assist can make certain characters playable, so is there any way for me to get Captain America working?

Also for a 3rd, I was thinking Strider, which turned out to work pretty well with Doom from what I understand. I am still working out my team at the moment, and haven't fixed Strider into this position yet. I had also briefly considered Zangief, which I may throw in as an alt when having fun.

Thanks for any help!
As a general rule you should not use laggy moves outside of combos or without proper assist cover. Some more tips can be found here.

You are right, Doom's AAA(anti air assist) helps every team he's in A LOT. You can call Doom and cartwheel behind the opponent, launch and air combo. If you can call doom close to the opponent, it will do monster chip damage(all nine rocks act as projectiles while circling Doom AND after being launched) so try to do so with CapAm's double jump. Doom's rocks can help cover CapAm's laggy moves, specially if Cable is not on your opponent's team.

gutabo

LiK said:
Nemesis556 said:
Basically, if I jump, I make sure I summon an assist to cover the area where I was.

My general strategy is to always be attacking somewhere on the screen at all times - leave no areas open. :D

Also, is it a sin to use JUST ranged attacks? >_> Just a question - not that I do that or anything. =P
What they said. Also it's ok if you cover your assists properly. And it's also ok if your enemy can't punish your assists because of that. Is mahvel baybee!

Wizpig

What i think about this game:
It's a good game... scratch that, i think it's a great game; it's broken as hell and it's basically Marvel vs. Marvel, but damn if it isn't pure fun in multiplayer.

My problem is this XBLA version... it's a sloppy job.
Ugly menus, basically no offline modes because everything is already unlocked [and if i want to get better for ranked matches, i play player matches, not arcade] and some awfully cropped sprites because of widescreen support.
Netcode is... very very good, though.
I rated it 3 out of 5 from the 360 dashboard.

800 points is the right price for this, not 1200... but i'm sure the Dreamcast version is worth a high, high price:D

don't flame me :(

MoxManiac

Wizpig said:
It's a good game... scratch that, i think it's a great game; it's broken as hell and it's basically Marvel vs. Marvel, but damn if it isn't pure fun in multiplayer.

Ugly menus, basically no offline modes because everything is already unlocked [and if i want to get better for ranked matches, i play player matches, not arcade] and some awfully cropped sprites because of widescreen support.

800 points is the right price for this, not 1200... but i'm sure the Dreamcast version is worth a high, high price:D

Considering the licensing hoops Capcom had to go through to get this out, i think it's hard to complain about the price. This game being released is a very special event, imo.

Caj814

Got it for 360.Online takes some getting use to since lag can make some standard stuff for storm and mag feel slightly sluggish but it's definitely better than playing the CPU.Also for the arcade mode achievements,was anyone else a bit annoyed that you can't skip the stage screens anymore?:lol

Lothars

Wizpig said:

I disagree about the price, I think 1200 points is perfectly fine for this game considering I spent 60 bucks on the Xbox version when it was released and this version is really good.

I am actually going to be double dipping and picking up the PS3 version when it's released as well.

B-Dex

Caj814 said:
Got it for 360.Online takes some getting use to since lag can make some standard stuff for storm and mag feel slightly sluggish but it's definitely better than playing the CPU.Also for the arcade mode achievements,was anyone else a bit annoyed that you can't skip the stage screens anymore?:lol

ME! You can only skip the first one. Every other one you have to sit and wait. So annoying.

gutabo

I'm having issues trying to buy the game, Microsoft won't accept my peruvian credit card... I have no idea what's going on because Paypal has no issues with my CC and I do monthly payments with them...

Anyone knows how can I pay for the game and a month of xbox live from Peru?

Thanks in advance!

I love it when people online forget / don't realise BBhood can double jump, they start their specials too early so I drop behind them and use a 3 part combo :lol

Manus

Diablohead said:
I love it when people online forget / don't realise BBhood can double jump, they start their specials too early so I drop behind them and use a 3 part combo :lol

Oh I know, BB Hood is one of my mains and she's great. Her super puts out a ton of damage.

Foob

Is it better to have two anti-air assists or two projectile/one anti-air? I've been using the latter with Gambit/Charlie/CapCommando

Foob said:
Is it better to have two anti-air assists or two projectile/one anti-air? I've been using the latter with Gambit/Charlie/CapCommando
Depends how you play, I personally do not use anti-air at all, I use tron's throw support for instance.

Vinsanity

gutabo said:
I must say after all these years, I'm biased towards the top tier(and for good reasons). DR2K is right, Tron's projectile assist helps spidey a lot. Also Doom's AAA(anti air assist) helps ANY team(like Rotanibor Eht said) so he's an option too, but it all depends on your main strategy. Do you rush the enemy down(attack all the time)? If so, Tron projectile is a good choice. Do you play mostly keepaway(spam projectiles from afar)? Doom AAA can help you some there(you just have to cover him i.e. with a superjump). There are more general strategies, but it all depends on what is your plan and who can help you the best. Cammy has a good anti air assist, and her cannon drill assist is nice too if you know how to cover its recovery. Comboing with Cammy's AAA is tricky but it's a good "get off me" assist. On the other hand, Cammy's cannon drill assist can help Spidey with some whacky combos. It all depends on your strat.

I have listed some cammy strats here.
Thanks, Gutabo, DR2K. Yeah Spidey is way down there in tiers, but he's just a lot of fun to use. I'll definitely keep Tron and Doom in mind when I pick him.

inphinite

Neo Member
Diablohead said:
Depends how you play, I personally do not use anti-air at all, I use tron's throw support for instance.

captain commando has hands down the best anti air assist or assist period in the game, so use his AA at all times.

MaxSteel

just downloaded this, never played it before. all i can say is WOW - the roster is like my 12 year old me's wet dream.

is there a good guide for this online anywhere? i'm way clueless about how to play - i'm just button mashing for now. the in-game guide is pretty inaccessible and unhelpful.

vulva

Still haven't downloaded it yet (waiting for the ps3) but I mentioned earlier in the thread that I suck at this game.

Well today I was at the arcade in our movie theater and I decided to give it one go before going home (movie theater is in the mall and I work in the mall, just got off at 3). I'm pretty excited that now that I've gotten more used to arcade sticks (just bout a TE) and played a couple more rounds in the past few days that I was able to beat the game on one credit. Not that impressive for most, but I was really excited.

SlickVic

Is increasing the damage amount in the options supposed to increase the amount of damage the AI does too? The description makes it seem like it only affects how much damage you do but when I played arcade it definitely made the attacks on BOTH sides more damage. I thought this option was there to make the game a little easier but it just looks pointless to me.

I don't know if there's something broken with my game. I've tried Arcade on easy for a few hours and the AI seems way too aggressive (dropping a combo every 5 seconds, using supers. blocking, dodging my attacks) for me to believe I'm really playing easy mode. Then again I think Capcom never learned how to make a casual friendly easy mode in their fighters. I remember Seth was annoying in SF4 even on "Very Easy" until I learned that you could spam C. Viper's high kick to win. :lol

MrWhitefolks

Neo Member
Had my first run-in with a lag switcher on MvC2 today, and that game was HILARIOUS. Guy was periodically switching vs multiple people in the room, then he played me and went BH/Sent/Cyke and started flipping switches all over the place. Random teleportation, combos being interupted, and all kinds of other wackyness was going on. Then I destroy the guy and he sends me a message telling me "u sry at dis game pussy lagswitchzer".

Keep an eye out for the guy on xbox360 - xBigStunnahx or something to that effect. Dude switched me, and my friend a few times before leaving the room and sending hate messages. He still couldn't win while doing it though, which made the entire experience that much more hilarious.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
lothars said:
I spent 60 bucks on the Xbox version when it was released and this version is really good.

You're either Canadian or got ripped off massively. Day one US, $50. X-box version.

MrWhitefolks

Neo Member
Yeah, we were just randomly teleporting all over the place, the time would change from like 75 to 68, etc. It was crazy as hell - but it was all the more hilarious because the offending party kept LOSING while doing it.

edit: The most hilarious thing was when he was playing against my buddy - the lag was PERFECT as can be, and then right after "Big Stunnah" got past half life with his last character (Akuma), the lag went apeshit and the screen froze, then people would teleport into the air, etc. He lost that match too, and we initially thought he might've been switching at that point, but the second he started playing me again with his high tier garbage team the lag went NUTS the second he had built 5 bars for Sentinel. Up until that point it was perfectly playable.

Ran in to my first bad attitute yesterday. Me and two friends were trading the controller in a player match under my friend's account against a guy who we beat about 10 times in a row with a variety of different players. His name was The Prophet215. After the last victory, he quit the lobby and sent a message to my friend that said: "gg why dont you learn how to do actual combos instead of the same shit". He sent a message back saying "gg I played with different characters that do different things each time". Prophet215 sent one back saying "sorry I don't sit on this game all day like you, dork". At this point, we noticed that he had almost 60,000 gamerpoints. My friend sent a message back saying "This game is 9 years old. You're calling me a dork, Mr. 56000 gamescore?" All prophet sent back was a message saying "whatever" and that was the end.

Man I should have played much more tonight, i'm starting to get MvC2 online withdraw. I need to take more venom's and sent's out with my tron.

HiResDes

Man I feel like I'm finally getting pretty good at this game with Neto, Sentinel, and Tron...I'll be on all night and probably tomorrow night if anybody wants some good practice...My GT is the same as my username

Top Bottom