• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom® 2(XBLA PSN) |OT| - F*CK THE KNICKS

mernst23

McBradders said:
Vindication for what exactly? There is no vindication for ragequitting and gaming the system, you just make yourself look like an ass. Admitting to it on GAF only makes matters worse.

Not letting a cheap POS get achievement progress on me makes me look like an ass? At least with my "cheap" combo I attempt to start an air combo, and I don't even use the sent assist if the player obviously doesn't know how to combat it (No anti-air, cable)

Edit: And out of my 50-something losses, I've been ocv'd a couple times. I just refuse to be infinited, it's cheap and if I got my timing back and relearned how to do it I'd expect no less than everyone who plays me to quit when I do it.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
mernst23 said:
Not letting a cheap POS get achievement progress on me makes me look like an ass? At least with my "cheap" combo I attempt to start an air combo, and I don't even use the sent assist if the player obviously doesn't know how to combat it (No anti-air, cable)

So, if your opponent is a weaker player you just go a little easier on them? Then if they start to adapt you'll start using your Sentinel assist so that you remain on top of the match? Isn't that sort of deceptive? I'd rather the other player go all out instead of humoring me.

If some cheap shit gets a good match on me, I get really pissed off... fuming mad, but I take my loss and leave. Why? Because for that match I didn't counter like I should have, or I made mistakes that I shouldn't have. I basically didn't play well enough to counter the cheapness.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
mernst23 said:

Edit: And out of my 50-something losses, I've been ocv'd a couple times. I just refuse to be infinited, it's cheap and if I got my timing back and relearned how to do it I'd expect no less than everyone who plays me to quit when I do it.

Then go play something else. Or learn how to lose with a little dignity.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
LQX said:
Damn this makes me so pissed as I just wasted points on the XBLA version when I could have saved my points and bought this retail. DAMN IT.

Yeah, but the PSN version isn't even out yet. So, you got to play early. I guess it all depends on your preference.

mernst23

McBradders said:
Then go play something else. Or learn how to lose with a little dignity.

2 out of 55. Keep that in perspective.

Out of 55 losses, I've only got pissed off enough to leave twice. Give me a fucking break.

M.J. Doja

Banned
mernst23 said:

Out of 55 losses, I've only got pissed off enough to leave twice. Give me a fucking break.

Do you want us to congratulate you?

"You gonna go being better than me in an online fighting game thats been out for 10 years? Hah, stopped your achievement progress, that will show you!"

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
mernst23 said:

I think the reason you're getting such a response is because we've all experienced it. And getting ragequitted on is completely exasperating/frustrating. If you've been ragequitted on five times, you should know. I've been ragequitted on four times for potential OCV'ers, but overall much more than that.

I always leave feedback on ragequitters and send them a message, telling them they're lame. I actually got a response back from one, apologizing and saying that they were just really mad. Well fuck, you cost me 2% progress on my Achievement, and now I'll have to wait for a very easy matchup to have a chance at that 2% again.

mernst23

GuardianE said:
I think the reason you're getting such a response is because we've all experienced it. And getting ragequitted on is completely exasperating/frustrating. If you've been ragequitted on five times, you should know. I've been ragequitted on four times for potential OCV'ers, but overall much more than that.

I always leave feedback on ragequitters and send them a message, telling them they're lame. I actually got a response back from one, apologizing and saying that they were just really mad. Well fuck, you cost me 2% progress on my Achievement, and now I'll have to wait for a very easy matchup to have a chance at that 2% again.

Yep, and as long as you didn't infinite me with magneto, or played the storm "I hit you and you don't have an AA so I'll fly the whole match" you'll get your OCV from me. Projectile spam the shit out of me, catch me in a super when I let my guard down, kill my sentinel while he's assisting, earn your OCV.

M.J. Doja said:
Do you want us to congratulate you?

"You gonna go being better than me in an online fighting game thats been out for 10 years? Hah, stopped your achievement progress, that will show you!"

Yep, 10 years and they mastered down+y, let me lay there and take it after you sentinel spammed me, flew over me, and punch me once opening myself up for an infinite. I can't wait to get my 50 ocv's so I never have to touch a shitty ranked match again and can actually have fun playing player match.

Magneto GAF force assemble.

Fucking twice, and I'm fucking hitler.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
mernst23 said:
Yep, and as long as you didn't infinite me with magneto, or played the storm "I hit you and you don't have an AA so I'll fly the whole match" you'll get your OCV from me. Projectile spam the shit out of me, catch me in a super when I let my guard down, kill my sentinel while he's assisting, earn your OCV.

Yep, 10 years and they mastered down+y, let me lay there and take it after you sentinel spammed me, flew over me, and punch me once opening myself up for an infinite. I can't wait to get my 50 ocv's so I never have to touch a shitty ranked match again and can actually have fun playing player match.

Magneto GAF force assemble.

Fucking twice, and I'm fucking hitler.

:lol I don't use a single God Tier character. There are times when I'm obviously outmatched. As long as the other player is competent, I'm actually slated to lose decisively... but I'll take the loss because it's the team that I like. God Tier characters suck, but they're a part of MvC2, so you just deal with it. Start using characters that can avoid situations like those, if you hate it so much.

mernst23

GuardianE said:
:lol I don't use a single God Tier character. There are times when I'm obviously outmatched. As long as the other player is competent, I'm actually slated to lose decisively... but I'll take the loss because it's the team that I like. God Tier characters suck, but they're a part of MvC2, so you just deal with it. Start using characters that can avoid situations like those, if you hate it so much.

Well, that's awesome that you don't. I haven't picked up this game since 05 though, so I'm rusty as shit and the only way I'll get OCV's are with those characters. And I don't feel bad for using them considering 90% of the Ranked online portion uses either cable or sentinel. But I'm not going to sit there and take it during an infinite or an ultimate "you can't hit me so let's watch me fly in the air for the next 65 seconds" strategy.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Part of online gaming is dealing with losing. Doesn't matter if you're mad, take it. If you don't, you're no better than the douchebags.

MMaRsu

Hellion said:
So how is the Online PSN play on this?

It's not out yet on PSN.

By the way, am I lame for using Rogue/Sentinel/Storm? I mean I know Sentinel and Storm are few of the best characters in the game, but if someone doesn't know how to play with them it doesn't matter who they use right?

LiK

Sunflower said:
Part of online gaming is dealing with losing. Doesn't matter if you're mad, take it. If you don't, you're no better than the douchebags.

yea, people are so spoiled these days. back in the day, you would actually lose money for each loss. all you get now is a friggin number for the loss stats. big deal.

mernst23

Hypothetical situation:

They didn't fix the gambit fly off glitch.

He hits you once, jumps off screen. You have to sit there and watch for the next 90 seconds?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
mernst23 said:
Hypothetical situation:

They didn't fix the gambit fly off glitch.

He hits you once, jumps off screen. You have to sit there and watch for the next 90 seconds?

The difference is that the Gambit flyoff glitch is not counterable. It's an unintentional bug in the system. Storm flying off the screen is not. If it were impossible to stop Storm, you'd see every tournament player doing that instead of actually fighting. Magneto infiniting your character is not a bug. You lose one of your characters (if they don't make a mistake), but the game isn't over.

I think the mistake is that you're defending the action by implying that these people are using evil strategies that can't be countered at all. That's not true. You got angry because you weren't good enough to do anything about it, so you quit.

Complaining about who people use in RANKED is retarded. I can understand not wanting to deal with certain teams in a player match where all you want to do is mess around, but whining about Sentinel or Magneto in ranked matches makes no sense. That's obviously where people are going to play more seriously, and that means using top tier characters with more advanced strategy than playing the game like it were Street Fighter II.

edit: right after I get on to play, of course some guy ragequits after almost being ocv'd...

mernst23

GuardianE said:
The difference is that the Gambit flyoff glitch is not counterable. It's an unintentional bug in the system. Storm flying off the screen is not. If it were impossible to stop Storm, you'd see every tournament player doing that instead of actually fighting. Magneto infiniting your character is not a bug. You lose one of your characters (if they don't make a mistake), but the game isn't over.

Essentially it's absolutely the same thing. I didn't have an anti-air, therefore I was unable to hit her.

Let's reevaluate the situation.

Storm Hits me or Gambit Hits me.
Gambit flies off screen (unable to hit)
Storm flies to top of map, throws shit to so a constant slow drop, get's to bottom, blocks everything I throw at her, and rejumps and throws shit to slow drop.

So because I can do a minimal amount of block damage, the strategy isn't cheap and is worthy of me sitting there trying to counter? Pass.

An infinite is essentially the same thing. I understand that learning the timing of an infinite is hard to do and is worthy of recognition, but when they come out of the gate looking to do it, it's not worth playing with them. Take your win, and keep playing trying to find someone who will deal with that garbage, I refuse to. There's a difference between getting beat and being able to fight back, and getting beat and being able to do nothing. If they have switched their character already before they do the magneto infinite, I won't quit and will just put my controller down, but you aren't going to get a ocv from me employing that strategy. Sorry.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
mernst23 said:
Essentially it's absolutely the same thing. I didn't have an anti-air, therefore I was unable to hit her.

Let's reevaluate the situation.

Storm Hits me or Gambit Hits me.
Gambit flies off screen (unable to hit)
Storm flies to top of map, throws shit to so a constant slow drop, get's to bottom, blocks everything I throw at her, and rejumps and throws shit to slow drop.

So because I can do a minimal amount of block damage, the strategy isn't cheap and is worthy of me sitting there trying to counter? Pass.

An infinite is essentially the same thing. I understand that learning the timing of an infinite is hard to do and is worthy of recognition, but when they come out of the gate looking to do it, it's not worth playing with them. Take your win, and keep playing trying to find someone who will deal with that garbage, I refuse to. There's a difference between getting beat and being able to fight back, and getting beat and being able to do nothing. If they have switched their character already before they do the magneto infinite, I won't quit and will just put my controller down, but you aren't going to get a ocv from me employing that strategy. Sorry.

I know that you think they're the same thing. They're not.

It's part of the game. If you don't like it, then you don't like the game. You can counter it. You can wait for a mistake. You can counter pick characters.

As far as the infinites go, they performed an infinite and they were better than you. They deserve that win. You disconnect and waste everyone's time because no one gets the win. You think that they're wasting your time by using an infinite on you? Hardly. They're teaching you how to play by kicking your ass.

As you go up in rank and face more seasoned people, you're giong to be experience that a lot more often... and you'll be quitting much more often, if your standards remain that way. That's what's most disconcerting about your statement. Not that you've ragequit twice, but rather your conditions for ragequitting.

mernst23

GuardianE said:
I know that you think they're the same thing. They're not.

It's part of the game. If you don't like it, then you don't like the game. You can counter it. You can wait for a mistake. You can counter pick characters.

As far as the infinites go, they performed an infinite and they were better than you. They deserve that win. You disconnect and waste everyone's time because no one gets the win. You think that they're wasting your time by using an infinite on you? Hardly. They're teaching you how to play by kicking your ass.

As you go up in rank and face more seasoned people, you're giong to be experience that a lot more often... and you'll be quitting much more often, if your standards remain that way. That's what's most disconcerting about your statement. Not that you've ragequit twice, but rather your conditions for ragequitting.

1) Not in the middle of a match I can't, and not against randomized ranked players, especially considering most "expert players" wait for you to pick characters first so they can counter your choices.

2) I can pull infinites. I did them in the arcade, i did them on DC, I did them on Xbox. They take good timing, but they for fucks sure don't involve any skill. I used them on my friends playing locally only a handful of times, because if I were them, I'd just lean over and punch me in the face for doing that shit. It's like slam dunking on an 8 year old, you don't do that shit. Tournaments, friends, practice sparring sure, random asshole online? No. Besides, they still get a victory. I've been magneto infinite 5 times already, once I quit, twice I laid my controller down and said fuck it, once I finished the match and lost, and once I finished the match and won. It's horseshit.

This is coming from someone who used to stay in Gears of War 2 matches while the host would standby and lagswitch my team. So don't tell me I don't have patience.

3) As soon as I get my 50 ocv's, I won't ever play another ranked match again.

mernst23

GuardianE said:
No they don't. If they did, then people would love ragequitters.

Even more incentive to quit on the unbelievably cheap players. I could give a rats ass about my ranking btw. "I'm a high rank in an unbalanced fighter." Wow, talent! I play this game for fun and performing cool combos. My necessity to achievement whore every game I own is the only reason I play ranked.

MMaRsu said:
Imo infinites are lame no matter what.

I agree with you 100%.

I'm 50/50 on a purchase right now. I have bad memories of, well, trying to learn this game. The guys we used to play 3rd Strike with- not our friends, just dudes who played- threw this in because they couldn't beat us at 3s. I said, I have no idea how to play maybe if you could teach us things. The match starts and they just came at me like a freight train and I go.... ok.... um, wtf am I supposed to do? I couldn't move/counter/anything. Just stuck in the corner waiting to die. I just set the stick down and walked away and said have fun with that.

I am getting sucked in by the hype. This happened for BlazBlue and I ended up disliking it for the same reason. Let me ask, is it a big time investment to get decent, or do I have alot, shit ton of shit to learn?

G-Fex

Holy shit I just got a fuckton better with Wolverine for some odd reason. I beat my friend several times last night Man all this playing is really fucking my hands up. Blisters too.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Why the hell do people ragequit in a game that takes like a minute to play? How long is the round time? Maybe a minute and a half?

mernst23

Arpharmd B said:
I agree with you 100%.

I'm 50/50 on a purchase right now. I have bad memories of, well, trying to learn this game. The guys we used to play 3rd Strike with- not our friends, just dudes who played- threw this in because they couldn't beat us at 3s. I said, I have no idea how to play maybe if you could teach us things. The match starts and they just came at me like a freight train and I go.... ok.... um, wtf am I supposed to do? I couldn't move/counter/anything. Just stuck in the corner waiting to die. I just set the stick down and walked away and said have fun with that.

I am getting sucked in by the hype. This happened for BlazBlue and I ended up disliking it for the same reason. Let me ask, is it a big time investment to get decent, or do I have alot, shit ton of shit to learn?

You can get decent fairly quickly, a month maybe. Stick to player matches where people don't take shit uber seriously and you'll probably have fun with it.

Monroeski said:
Why the hell do people ragequit in a game that takes like a minute to play? How long is the round time? Maybe a minute and a half?
Yeah, I feel like by the time you wind up hitting the buttons to quit the match is over anyway. :lol

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
mernst23 said:
Even more incentive to quit on the unbelievably cheap players. I could give a rats ass about my ranking btw. "I'm a high rank in an unbalanced fighter." Wow, talent! I play this game for fun and performing cool combos. My necessity to achievement whore every game I own is the only reason I play ranked.

You're just adding to the problem, especially by trying to justify it as something other than, "I got pissed and acted rashly through my ragequit." I hope people ragequit on your every endeavor for every achievement you ever desire to get for every game.

If you really knew how to do infinites, you'd be doing them to get your precious achievement so you can stop playing ranked. Go do them and leave ranked matches for people who know how to take their losses with their wins.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Arpharmd B said:
I agree with you 100%.

Stick to playing with friends at the beginning who are patient about teaching you the basics. It's very easy to pick up, but if you get hit with a seasoned player they'll overwhelm you. Use characters that you think are fun. Don't get intimidated by crazy combos happening on the screen.

Ranked is a decent place to start too. Always do a Quick Match because those take your Trueskill Rating into account so that you get paired up with people of comparable skill (though that's not always guaranteed, obviously).

mernst23

GuardianE said:
You're just adding to the problem, especially by trying to justify it as something other than, "I got pissed and acted rashly through my ragequit." I hope people ragequit on your every endeavor for every achievement you ever desire to get for every game.

If you really knew how to do infinites, you'd be doing them to get your precious achievement so you can stop playing ranked. Go do them and leave ranked matches for people who know how to take their losses with their wins.

1) Sorry, I take no joy in playing like a douche.

2) If you EVER, EVER think that is a possibility of happening online with this game in ranked match now, you might as well just fucking quit right now.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
mernst23 said:
1) Sorry, I take no joy in playing like a douche.

2) If you EVER, EVER think that is a possibility of happening online with this game in ranked match now, you might as well just fucking quit right now.

1) You obviously take no joy in playing Ranked anyway.

2) I've played plenty of people who didn't ragequit. The ragequitters are the douchebags... that much should be pretty much obvious to everyone.

mernst23

GuardianE said:
1) You obviously take no joy in playing Ranked anyway.

2) I've played plenty of people who didn't ragequit. The ragequitters are the douchebags... that much should be pretty much obvious to everyone.

The only difference between Ranked and Player is that people take shit way too seriously. (ie, their rank) Congrats, don't care. I played my first 30 matches on ranked using characters I liked to play with the afternoon the game came out. But by nighttime it was all god tiers. There's a difference between being competitive, and being a douche, and an infinite combo makes you a douche. Man, nothing was so satisfying than to see someone get slugged and get knocked the fuck out during a magneto infinite at the arcade circa 2002. Possibly my greatest memory in an arcade ever.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
mernst23 said:
The only difference between Ranked and Player is that people take shit way too seriously. (ie, their rank) Congrats, don't care. I played my first 30 matches on ranked using characters I liked to play with the afternoon the game came out. But by nighttime it was all god tiers. There's a difference between being competitive, and being a douche, and an infinite combo makes you a douche. Man, nothing was so satisfying than to see someone get slugged and get knocked the fuck out during a magneto infinite at the arcade circa 2002. Possibly my greatest memory in an arcade ever.

:lol Performing an infinite combo makes you a douche, while punching someone because you lost at a videogame doesn't make you a douche? I really just think we're coming from completely different places.

mernst23

GuardianE said:
:lol Performing an infinite combo makes you a douche, while punching someone because you lost at a videogame doesn't make you a douche? I really just think we're coming from completely different places.

Considering everyone laughed at the guy while the guy who punched him bolted from the arcade must mean we do.

And that's why you don't do an infinite on someone next to you, because since they can't fight back in the game, they can knock you the fuck out in real life since their hands are free.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
mernst23 said:
Considering everyone laughed at the guy while the guy who punched him bolted from the arcade must mean we do.

And that's why you don't do an infinite on someone next to you, because since they can't fight back in the game, they can knock you the fuck out in real life since their hands are free.

Yeah and the guy who bolted, bolted for a reason. He was a douchebag, not a toughguy. he lost his temper at an arcade and punched someone. That's plain stupid. No wonder mass media portrayed arcades as being filled with delinquents and five year olds.

I'd be laughing too. But I'd be laughing because someone was retarded enough to get physical about a videogame.

mernst! Forget all this squabbling and answer this question for me: how did you quit? Did you turn off the console, exit to the dash, or were you able to quit from the pause menu? I've been wondering if the Exit Game option actually works. Are Backbone stupid enough to include a convenient shortcut for ragequitting? I'm finding it difficult to confirm when someone rage quits. In SF4 or BB it's easy, since you can check their status and they'll either be offline or at the dash, but in this game I notice they're usually still in MvC2 when I go to message them. And that keeps me from leaving negative feedback or sending mocking messages, because even though it looked like a total ragequit maybe it was a legit network hiccup!

It sucks.

It also sucks how it switches to a generic screen when someone quits instead of popping up a menu box like SF4. I miss funny ragequit photos!

I haven't wanted to quit on a game yet but I have felt similarly frustrated at times. I have been caught in a few infinites (I think) and it was humiliating. I also want to kill dudes whose main strategy seems to be "I'm going to superjump and fly around so you can't see what the hell you're doing". I try to anti-air but...they're flying around and I can't see what's going on and get hit, usually. Cammy's qcb+pp super works sometimes but other than that I feel helpless. I like this game but maaaan is it dumb in a lot of ways, and I'm never going to be good enough to deal with all the goofiness.

Hellion said:
So how is the Online PSN play on this?
I see SO MANY posts like this lately. Fuck, people were asking how good the Fat Princess community was 2 hours after the game came out, and they're still asking how the online is even though there's post after post describing it. Do people even read threads anymore??

MoxManiac

mernst23 said:

I dunno, I certainly don't think being a sore loser enough to punch your opponent is any kind of admirable quality. Nor is it justified.

Infinites are part of the game, just like fly/unfly combos, resets, guard breaks, juggernaut and tron glitches are all part of the game. If you don't like it, find a way around them, play something else, or stick with friends that will obey your arbitrary house rules.

Feels like my character setup online is no good anymore for ranked, everyone is learning mvc2 and it's hard to win now, for me at least.

Best work on learning the characters I hardly touch.

mernst23

GuardianE said:
Yeah and the guy who bolted, bolted for a reason. He was a douchebag, not a toughguy. he lost his temper at an arcade and punched someone. That's plain stupid. No wonder mass media portrayed arcades as being filled with delinquents and five year olds.

I'd be laughing too. But I'd be laughing because someone was retarded enough to get physical about a videogame.

You must be an only child.

Oh, and it was funny because if that guy ever showed up and pulled some cheap shit people would pretend like they were about to backhand him and he'd jump high enough to hit the roof. He only showed at the arcade maybe like 2-3 more times, at least that I saw.

Hell, I've seen people get into a fistfight over street fighter II at a bowling alley, and someone else challenging a guy to a street fight over MK, is this shit really that hard to believe?

MoxManiac said:
I dunno, I certainly don't think being a sore loser enough to punch your opponent is any kind of admirable quality. Nor is it justified.

Infinites are part of the game, just like fly/unfly combos, resets, guard breaks, juggernaut and tron glitches are all part of the game. If you don't like it, find a way around them, play something else, or stick with friends that will obey your arbitrary house rules.

Arbitrary? The game is comically unbalanced, the "arbitrary house rules" that I had with my friends leveled the playing field for people to use new strategies. And like I've repeated about 50 times already, use the strategy all you want, but an infinite, or a keep away time limit strategy won't get you an ocv from me. That's where I draw the line. People draw it much shorter than that (upto an including, me comboing them repeatedly because they can't block)

Hell, some guy quit after I didn't let him switch characters without cable viper beaming them.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
mernst23 said:
You must be an only child.

Oh, and it was funny because if that guy ever showed up and pulled some cheap shit people would pretend like they were about to backhand him and he'd jump high enough to hit the roof. He only showed at the arcade maybe like 2-3 more times, at least that I saw.

Hell, I've seen people get into a fistfight over street fighter II at a bowling alley, and someone else challenging a guy to a street fight over MK, is this shit really that hard to believe?

I'm not.

No. It's not hard to believe at all. I find it hard to believe that you're defending retarded shit like this. People are generally morons... I think that's a fair assessment. Jerry Springer shows us as much. That doesn't mean it should be condoned.

But whatever. Go be a hardass arcader, where you'll mess people up for performing infinites and beating your high score in Bubble Bobble.

EYEL1NER

LiK said:
why do people ragequit? cuz they can't take a loss? just take your lumps and learn to block.
We need a new term besides ragequit. Sure there are some people who get pissed off and in a rage, d/c, but the majority now either quit to keep there win streaks or for achievments or just to fuck over the person beating them. There is often very little rage anymore.
Instead of "OHMYGODTHISGUYISSOCHEAPICANTDOASINGLEMOVEGODAMNITNOOBARGHHHHH" and then a d/c, it's "Hehehehe, this guy thinks he's about to get a win doesn't he?"
Yoink!

MoxManiac

I don't see tournament players complaining about "comic imbalance". In fact, the game has been one of the most popular competitive fighters for almost a decade, so it's obviously doing something right. I'm not a David Sirlin nut rider, but I definitely agree that this whining mentality ruins competitive games and definitely agree with his book.

Top Bottom