• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom® 2(XBLA PSN) |OT| - F*CK THE KNICKS

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Gio_CoD said:
I'm the same way. I'm probably about 70/30 win/loss on SSF2THDR. It's a slower, more methodical game. In this game it's like the bell rings and the other guy has 7 characters on the screen, there are fucking lasers and fireballs everywhere, I get tossed in the air and can't even see who the fuck is hitting me, and then the match is over.

Yeah, the Vs series is a faster game than Street. :lol Go into practice and learn getting consistant hypers/team hypers off. After you have that you have one form of defense against a dude rushing you (so long as they aren't hitting you as your super comes into play).

After that learn character moves so you can throw those lasers as well. ;)

Yeah, the PS3 version seems to be freezing. I've had it freeze twice on me today (one looking at the server list, one starting the game) and have it not let me start a game after one round in a private lobby. (But I could close the lobby, WTF)

But after that it's pretty smooth as butter. Owning both I see no problems with either in terms of non-bug/glitchyness. It's more Backbones poor porting skills than anything.

And I'm kinda scared to go into ranked/scoreboard mode since everyone is talking about infinites. I'd be totally floored by those. :lol

vg260

Gotta say, I despite the new filters and widescreen, Backbone did a really lazy/sloppy job of porting this. They should have gotten real Capcom folks on this.

TheSeks

Christopher said:
I won an online match :eek: and I suck. I better at least try to get that 50 online win trophy before people actually get good.

I'm more scared trying to do the OCV achievement/trophy than I am the 100 wins. You can get the 100 wins eventually. It's more the OCV is a problem since someone will KO your ass fast if they know what they're doing. :lol

Roto13

2&2 said:
Gotta say, I despite the new filters and widescreen, Backbone did a really lazy/sloppy job of porting this. They should have gotten real Capcom folks on this.
I certainly hope you're not surprised by this. :p Backbone sucks. They're the main reason I decided when this port was announced to not bother to buy it.

RobertM

Alright, quick match can not find anyone, custom match won't let me connect and froze my PS3. FUCK YOU BACKBONE UP YOUR ASS!

TheSeks

RobertM said:
Alright, quick match can not find anyone, custom match won't let me connect and froze my PS3. FUCK YOU BACKBONE UP YOUR ASS!

Yeah, like I said the PS3 version is kinda buggy (but I'm not really surprised given Street 2 HD Remix was just as bad).

Keep trying, it'll eventually let you play and it's smooth sailing after that (they just need to port this lazy coding to stop the freezes and they'd be golden, basically).

Christopher

RobertM said:

Same my PS3 just froze what the fuck? Who did the online for Street Fighter IV that is flawless.

vg260

Roto13 said:
I certainly hope you're not surprised by this. :p Backbone sucks. They're the main reason I decided when this port was announced to not bother to buy it.

Well, a little. I liked HDRemix. I'm especially peeved at them porting the barebones button config straight over from HDRemix without making adjustments for possible button combos like every other version had. Maybe if they considered people actually do use pads or maybe did their homework on the button options in other versions, they would have done better. It's a pain to hit multiple buttons quickly and consistently on the DS3 pad.
It just seems like a sloppy rush job in general.

see5harp

I've only played a few days doing friendly matches and private matches with friends, but I've experienced only a single issue with the 360 version. I haven't checked out the list of bugs yet, but I've never had a hard lock or an issue with connecting with randoms.

vg260

Roto13 said:

I noticed in the 360 demo, the sound is about 50% lower than anything else on the system. I had to crank the volume, and when I left the game everything was blasting. So annoying.
Bomberman Online is the other game that's like this. I was just checking out Backbone's website and looking at the other stuff they've done, and they did Bomberman online too. Do these guys have supersonic hearing or something?

mackaveli

tried playing agent_x and we couldn't join each other games. it sucks. I hope they fix it. I played one ranked match and boy was it close. I had close to know life left with my Cammy. I almost lost to, felicia, storm, samurai dude. couldn;t believe it.

My mags was brutal.

any gaffers want to play on PS3. add me. Mackaveli.

i want to play low tier for fun :)

Christopher

ugh this online SUCKS it's so laggy and slow, and buggy as fuck my PS3 froze 3 times.

also no wonder I hate online games I just (as such ass as I am) beat some guy and all thorugh the match "fuck you fuck you fuck you fuck you"...

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Played maybe 30 matches just with my friend online on PS3.
Froze once, and the rest of the time was lag free.

I'm surprised.
Haven't tried with strangers yet though....

DeVeAn

After playing this for 11 straight wins on friendly match, I quit and check my trophies. The the PS3 freezes and MOTHA F**** dead. No more PS3. It a 60 GB too. What am I gonna do?

I don't know why Capcom is keep letting these fucks do their remakes. They fucked up HDRemix, they fucked up JointStrike1942, they fucked up Commando and now this as well.

I am sensing a pattern here.

You should have gave your games to Grin, sure they made some shitty $60 games but their strength was small downloadble games, BCRearmed is still the best remake of this gen and maybe best Arcade/PSN game.

Just played for about 2 hrs straight on PS3. After constantly playing on 360 since launch, I gotta say there's something "off" about the PS3 version. It's not lag, but the input feels awkward for some reason. Me and my friend were talking about it all night, not being able to do most of the things we wanted to do.

RobertM said:

Me too!

Christopher said:
Same my PS3 just froze what the fuck? Who did the online for Street Fighter IV that is flawless.

Me fucking toooooo!!!!! ARGHHHHHHHH! I thought it was just me and I was going crazy trying to figure out port forwarding issues and such.

Man, backbone just fucking sucks ass. How can they keep putting out these shitty ass ports. I mean my main complaint is always their networking sucks balls, but you'd think they'd look into fixing it at some point.

Roto13

Rapping Granny said:
I don't know why Capcom is keep letting these fucks do their remakes. They fucked up HDRemix, they fucked up JointStrike1942, they fucked up Commando and now this as well.
That's what I want to know. Otherwise-respectable companies like Capcom and Sega are constantly skimping on their ports and vintage game collections and stuff by getting Backbone to do them.

TheSeks

PTCoakley said:
Just played for about 2 hrs straight on PS3. After constantly playing on 360 since launch, I gotta say there's something "off" about the PS3 version. It's not lag, but the input feels awkward for some reason. Me and my friend were talking about it all night, not being able to do most of the things we wanted to do.

Agreed. I've done QCF and DP/DK and half the time I can't get it to go off. :/

Even with the "input lag" set to "low."

It's kinda odd.

tribal24

Banned
PTCoakley said:

lol its reverse for me it feels so much better on ps3

-PXG-

Just got home from the Madden launch. Thank God only 45 people showed up. Downloading my retail voucher now :D

PSN = PXG_S3

Ploid 3.0

MoxManiac said:
Haha what the hell. The game froze during the search for a player match room. Locked my PS3 up hard.

Anyone made MvC2 gaf chat yet? would like to play. I suck at this game though. Like, bigtime.

Invite me too, although we could stick with the sf4 room. That's what I used tonight. We also put together SSF2T HDr games in the sf4 room before as well. Could just think of it as the gaf fight club.

Roto13 said:
That's what I want to know. Otherwise-respectable companies like Capcom and Sega are constantly skimping on their ports and vintage game collections and stuff by getting Backbone to do them.

Well just fired it up myself. The game looks GREAT, much better than I expected, but damn, I'm a fan of pads, and trying to do supers is like tossing a coin, sometimes I can do it, but not as consistent as I SHOULD be able to.

Playing MvC2 really makes me admire TvC's control scheme all the more now, anyone else feel the same way?

Ok, played a few matches, still really fun, been trying to get the Avengers trophy but keep failing at stage 7.

Just relised how rusty I am and how much I suck at this without an arcade stick. I suck so much with the controller, played 6 matches online, I should have won all of them if I had an arcade stick, only won 2 though.

It was going well until this happened.

2rpxs49.jpg

I thought it was my eyes playing tricks on me since it's 3AM and all, but appearently there are 2 wolferines in this Backbone port job and I could also choose the same character 3 times for a match.

Also, what's the cheapest arcade stick I could get for the PS3? don't care about quality because anything is better than what I am using for now.

-PXG-

There are supposed to be two Wolverines, Adamantium claws and bone claws. In the PS2 version, you could choose the three of the same character as well. So no, it's not glitch caused by Backbone :lol

vg260

Kinda lame to have 2 Wolverines, but I guess they got tired and phoned the last one in when they made the game originally.

Rapping Granny said:
WTF, I only played the arcade version, where's whats her name with the bones and things?

Bone Wolverine was also in the arcade version, and Marrow is two up from the wolverine you have selected in your screenshot.

kuYuri

Rapping Granny said:
Ok, played a few matches, still really fun, been trying to get the Avengers trophy but keep failing at stage 7.

Iron Man x3 yo.

Also, round timer 30 and damage 1 also helps make it slightly easier.

tribal24

Banned
SmokinGunZ1981 said:
Bone Wolverine was also in the arcade version, and Marrow is two up from the wolverine you have selected in your screenshot.

yeah but marrow was in the middle with cable before -_- sigh

Maximus.

was the retail version only available in the US? I heard something like there were only 15 000 copies? Anyone in Canada find this?

conman

Glad to know it isn't my PS3 since some of you are getting rampant lockups also!

This sucks. I'll hold off on playing it until they release a patch. I can't even get into an online match without the console locking up. Getting weird input lag issues in the menus, too.

I played a few matches yesterday, about 30 local and about 20 online.

Haven't had one single problem, all went smoothly and bugless! I'm loving it :D

tribal24 said:
yeah but marrow was in the middle with cable before -_- sigh
Maybe in an arcade version but this is more like the DC game, layout and everything apart from the new menu system by backbone.

You should only be able to pick the same character multiple times if you are in an offline local match or single player, player match online and ranked limit each character to 1 pick each.

Rapping Granny said:
I thought it was my eyes playing tricks on me since it's 3AM and all, but appearently there are 2 wolferines in this Backbone port job and I could also choose the same character 3 times for a match.
In the Dreamcast version you get the ability to pick the same character 3 times once you unlock all characters and costumes. Once you unlock that stuff, the yellow outline appears around the characters in the character select screen.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
lol it seems when there's less people on you can actually search for games.
It still crashes occasionally though.:lol

TheSeks said:
Agreed. I've done QCF and DP/DK and half the time I can't get it to go off. :/

Even with the "input lag" set to "low."

It's kinda odd.

Yeah, I noticed this too while playing last night. 623 commands don't work every time, even tried changing the input lag. 236 seem fine though, as do 214.

sajj316

DIrtyWeasel said:
In the Dreamcast version you get the ability to pick the same character 3 times once you unlock all characters and costumes. Once you unlock that stuff, the yellow outline appears around the characters in the character select screen.

Don't think this is about selecting the same character 3 times. Wolverine appears twice as a selectable character icon!!!! Haven't played MvC2 on any other version ... is this supposed to be the case?

Holy shit, guys! I just added some funds to purchase this game, but I thought I'd check the forums for impressions, first. These horror stories are horrible! The game actually killed someone's console? Are the freezing/console-killing occurrences only happening online, or do they occur offline, too? Slow menus, I can tolerate.

edit: Just found the bug thread at SRK.

sajj316 said:
Don't think this is about selecting the same character 3 times. Wolverine appears twice as a selectable character icon!!!! Haven't played MvC2 on any other version ... is this supposed to be the case?
Yes there is two wolves, both have different claws and ever so slightly different moves and specials, but more or less the same.

MoxManiac

Guys, the arcade and home versions of MvC2 had different initial characters and different characters that were locked, which is why the select screen layout is different between them.

I think Bone Wolvie was initial character in home version but locked in arcade.

There is definitely something broken with this games single player. I've breezed through MvsC2's arcade mode more times than I can remember, but even setting the game to easy has the game throwing the hardest difficulty AI your way in Stage 6-7.

I wouldnt be surprised if its a Backbone bug, plus half my moves arent coming out at all. I dunno, will wait for the hardcore community's verdict but theres something not right about the input.

Top Bottom