• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom® 2(XBLA PSN) |OT| - F*CK THE KNICKS

panda21

SecretBonusPoint said:
1-2 months? Fucking hell. Do companies even have product testing departments anymore? The freezing is happening to everyone when either a player quits from your room or other stuff in the lobby.

Also I'm sure theres some input lag at work on the PSN version (at least). It doesn't feel anywhere close to as snappy as the DC version.

did you turn off the input delay in the options?

Crisis

Banned
I don't want to sound like an asshole for saying this because I'm grateful to the lengths Capcom went to make this game happen. But who can we get in contact with at Capcom to ask them to stop using Backbone? Backbone is a fucking terrible developer and I'm getting really tired of this shit.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Crisis said:
I don't want to sound like an asshole for saying this because I'm grateful to the lengths Capcom went to make this game happen. But who can we get in contact with at Capcom to ask them to stop using Backbone? Backbone is a fucking terrible developer and I'm getting really tired of this shit.

Register on Capcom-Unity and make a thread. They do read it.

Fantasmo

Megadragon15 said:
So a month or two for a patch? What if it doesn't sell well on PS3? Will they pull a Sega(Gunstar Heroes) and say tough luck?

No sympathy here. Piss poor quality doesn't deserve my money, and I'll be sure to spread the word to anyone who might consider buying it. Capcom always gets something wrong between revisions, so no more day one purchases.

RefigeKru

Banned
Goddamn this game is broken. How does shit like this make it through certification? When they're playing it don't they realize that it doesn't work online or something, or do they just not care?

Bah. Anyway, I need to be able to map Light+Hard Kicks/Punches to one button.

Mister D

RefigeKru said:
Goddamn this game is broken. How does shit like this make it through certification? When they're playing it don't they realize that it doesn't work online or something, or do they just not care?

Bah. Anyway, I need to be able to map Light+Hard Kicks/Punches to one button.

That really pissed me off too. It's a pain in the ass trying to do the stick motion and then press square and triangle when you could just be using L2 or R2. Lazy fucks couldn't even put in the option to map button macros so I'm not too surprised at all the other shit that people have been complaining about.

vg260

Mister D said:
That really pissed me off too. It's a pain in the ass trying to do the stick motion and then press square and triangle when you could just be using L2 or R2. Lazy fucks couldn't even put in the option to map button macros so I'm not too surprised at all the other shit that people have been complaining about.

Heh, there was a huge thread on the Capcom forum about that. A lot of people want it, but there are some very vocal folks who don't, and will claim you're lazy for wanting it and you should just practice. But it's a pain on a PS3 pad because of the flat, spaced-out buttons. Personally, I think it was a huge oversight by Backbone, as they simply ported over the HDRemix button config, and didn't consider that it is lacking in functionality for anything other than SF2 Turbo (which had no use for the them). I feel it was lazy programming and a step back from the norm in ANY fighting game. I've already contacted several of the Capcom folks there about this. From the responses not everyone wanted it gone, and it just never got flagged as an important issue in testing. Obviously Backbone's testing is not up to par. It sounds like if enough people make their voice heard on it, they might consider it. I doubt they would add anything for a patch, but it can't hurt to show them people miss it. Go to the Unity forums and express your opinion. They do at least listen, and some of the cool Capcom folks even respond.

Zeliard

2&2 said:
Heh, there was a huge thread on the Capcom forum about that. A lot of people want it, but there are some very vocal folks who don't, and will claim you're lazy for wanting it and you should just practice. But it's a pain on a PS3 pad because of the flat, spaced-out buttons.

Such an idiotic mindset. They can swing their dicks all they want, but it shouldn't have to come at the expense of some decent functionality for normal people. It's also silly because some of the most hardcore and skill-based games ever are also some of the most customizable (see: Quake series). Whining about people wanting to bind two commands to one button is some sad shit.

Prezhulio

LiK said:
are people having trouble playing with regular controllers? played fine with a stick.

it feels...strange. idk how to describe it, lag i guess, adjusting the options for input didn't really help me much. it just feels better on the dc version. i need a stick, but i feel like if i buy one i have to buy another :/

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
RedNumberFive said:
So from what I've read in the thread so far, I can assume that the PS3 online play is still pretty borked? I was hoping to pick this up exclusively for online play, as I can always pop out the DC version if needed.

It's broke, but it happens randomly. I'd say buy the game a month or two later (more like half a year later, given Street 2 HD Remix's patch time *sigh*) if it fixes the freezes. But as it stands: If it doesn't freeze the game is fine (minus gameplay changes/poor porting) than anything.

Zeliard said:
Such an idiotic mindset. They can swing their dicks all they want, but it shouldn't have to come at the expense of some decent functionality for normal people. It's also silly because some of the most hardcore and skill-based games ever are also some of the most customizable (see: Quake series). Whining about people wanting to bind two commands to one button is some sad shit.

Well, they have a point: This is supposed to be based on the DC version and the DC version DOES NOT have a DP/DK bind option.

There was a LOT of bitching about this back when the first demo came out in June. It's a valid complaint, but it also has a valid reason. Who knows if Capcom/Backbone will bend to the majority.

Yama

Aside from one or two menu glitches, I've played well over 500 matches online on the 360 and 99% of them were near lag free. It was MvC2 online, which I'm still stoked about.

But what's with all the PS3 version bashing? Is it worse (online)? I was going to go pick up my retail box today to play it on both consoles, but would like to know the low down.

TheSeks

Yama said:
Aside from one or two menu glitches, I've played well over 500 matches online on the 360 and 99% of them were near lag free. It was MvC2 online, which I'm still stoked about.

But what's with all the PS3 version bashing? Is it worse (online)? I was going to go pick up my retail box today to play it on both consoles, but would like to know the low down.

The PS3 version is prone to hard-locks (you can't soft-powerdown *through XMB*). It's a random occurance, but it's common enough to be a problem.

The game, if you can get around the bugs plays just as fine as the 360 version (minus the button registering delay/problems).

Again: PS3 version is okay, but it has bugs/showstopping problems right now and that's mostly Backbone's fault.

SecretBonusPoint said:
1-2 months? Fucking hell. Do companies even have product testing departments anymore? The freezing is happening to everyone when either a player quits from your room or other stuff in the lobby.
The downside to patchable console games, is that it has allowed some companies to outsource their testing jobs to their consumers. It's much quicker to have thousands of people, freely reporting your game's bugs on Internet forums, than to actually pay employees to do it, in-house. At least, that's how I feel, sometimes.

Zeliard

TheSeks said:
Well, they have a point: This is supposed to be based on the DC version and the DC version DOES NOT have a DP/DK bind option.

There was a LOT of bitching about this back when the first demo came out in June. It's a valid complaint, but it also has a valid reason. Who knows if Capcom/Backbone will bend to the majority.

And the DC version required that you unlock most of the characters, and this version doesn't. Why? Because it was stupid not to have included them all in the first place, and to force players to go through hoops to play with who they want. Same exact thing with DP/DK binds. Later ports are a perfect opportunity to upgrade/fix things like this.

More functionality and more options to the player = good thing. It's not like the guy with DP binded to one button is going to have some great advantage over the guy who's been playing for years and hitting two face buttons simultaneously. What it simply does is let the player use what they're most comfortable with. Doesn't change the core game in the slightest nor the competitive balance.

As a PS3 player, it was pretty frustrating trying to pull off supers last night. I loved playing it on the DS2 when I had the PS2 version of MVC2, but not having the macros damn near kills the game for me. I bought it for the sake of having it, but I just don't really feel like playing it that much unless my friends are over. Even then, we can't combo into super as efficiently as we're use to because we don't play on arcade sticks and the Dual Shock is all we know.

I'm pretty upset with Backbone's decision. It's a console version, most people will be playing on a pad. They should have had this in mind. Imagine if Capcom had this elitist attitude when making SF4. Only stick players would be able to pull off Ultras then because the vast majority of pad players will not be able to hit 3 buttons at one time.

Docpan

I struggle with some of the gameplay mechanics to this game.

According to the "About this Game" menu, air combos are the most important. However once I initiate the launcher and then follow up with my jump, the most hits I can get in are two or three low attacks, and one high attack. How can I juggle people for longer?

How do I do these "multiple" hyper combos? In other words, how do I get two or three of my teammates to do their super moves at once? Randomly mashing buttons I can do it occasionally, but other than that I am clueless.

There is a certain d-pad motion used for a lot of moves that makes no sense to me. For example, one of them would be Cap. America's "Stars and Stripes." It looks like a zig-zag motion on the move list. Left, to right, to down, to right again? I can never execute this move properly. What am I doing wrong?

Finally, why will the game not allow me to map button macros to L2 and R2? It says they are unassigned in the menu, but I cannot proceed to map anything to them. I want to map LP+HP, and LK+HK. When trying to execute moves, I have to hold the controller awkwardly to get my moves in due to these strange button combinations.

TheSeks

Docpan said:
I struggle with some of the gameplay mechanics to this game.

According to the "About this Game" menu, air combos are the most important. However once I initiate the launcher and then follow up with my jump, the most hits I can get in are two or three low attacks, and one high attack. How can I juggle people for longer?

How do I do these "multiple" hyper combos? In other words, how do I get two or three of my teammates to do their super moves at once? Randomly mashing buttons I can do it occasionally, but other than that I am clueless.

Finally, why will the game not allow me to map button macros to L2 and R2? It says they are unassigned in the menu, but I cannot proceed to map anything to them. I want to map LP+HP, and LK+HK. When trying to execute moves, I have to hold the controller awkwardly to get my moves in due to these strange button combinations.

1) Air combo = launch, punch-punch-Hyper Viper Beam!
2) A1/A2 same time. Put Assist 1/2 on triggers. Wham! DUAL HYPER VIPER BEAM TIME
3) It does. Go into options, go to the button you want to make L2/R2 (notable: Assist 1/2) and press L2/R2 over the highlighted button.

There is NO MACRO FOR TWO BUTTONS (DP/DK/A1+2) so you have to adjust to it.

vg260

TheSeks said:

Actually the DC version DOES have a DP/DK option, and many other multi-buttons combinations. It just comes at the expense of one of your regular buttons. It is based on the DC game gameplay code, not the DC options menus, UI, or extra features, obviously. Otherwise there would be no netplay, widescreen, filtering..etc. That argument does not hold water. Backbone could have designed the UI to allow this if they really wanted to put the effort into it.

Rice-Eater said:
As a PS3 player, it was pretty frustrating trying to pull off supers last night. I loved playing it on the DS2 when I had the PS2 version of MVC2, but not having the macros damn near kills the game for me. I bought it for the sake of having it, but I just don't really feel like playing it that much unless my friends are over. Even then, we can't combo into super as efficiently as we're use to because we don't play on arcade sticks and the Dual Shock is all we know.

I'm pretty upset with Backbone's decision. It's a console version, most people will be playing on a pad. They should have had this in mind. Imagine if Capcom had this elitist attitude when making SF4. Only stick players would be able to pull off Ultras then because the vast majority of pad players will not be able to hit 3 buttons at one time.

Totally agreed. This killed the purchase for me. And fwiw it's worth not all of the Capcom folks have that elitist attitude from some feedback I got there about this, even some of the high-profile guys. This was Backbone's call.

Go over to Capcom's site and voice what you said.

junkster said:
No sympathy here. Piss poor quality doesn't deserve my money, and I'll be sure to spread the word to anyone who might consider buying it. Capcom always gets something wrong between revisions, so no more day one purchases.
Backbone!!! not Capcom... say BACKBONE!

vocab

gutter_trash said:
Backbone!!! not Capcom... say BACKBONE!

Capcom keeps using Backbone. So technically they both should responsible for this garbage ass port. I already brought my feelings to capcom unity. If anyone wants to start a "Get rid of Backbone" thread, I'll be right behind you to the end. Fuck man, they are ruining great games time after time.

Volcynika

Played some matches on PS3 version against a friend (I still have no idea how to do people's specials) and it was ok. For friendly lobbies, is there even a way to exit? It just ended the match, then had "Back to Game Room." I'm either really blind or that's a serious oversight.

2&2 said:
Go over to Capcom's site and voice what you said.

Man I just went over to the Capcom forums to read there opinions, plenty of elitist fucks there to. It's the same crap on SRK to, the line is always something like "Learn how to play on a stick or press two buttons at one time or STFU". I just want to have some fun playing with my friends and online, I have no desire to try to become a elite player.

Asking me to do F+HP, crouching HP, SRK, FADC, Ultra is a difficult combo that I have to learn myself with time and practice. Asking me to turn my thumb sideways quickly to pull off a super during a combo is down right uncomfortable and irritating because the buttons are spaced too far apart to consistently press together if you try pressing in between the two.

But yes, I will e-mail Capcom to give them my thoughts on the subject. I'm just pissed and I can't stand all these people shoving the same crap in our faces. Pulling off a super should not be a challenge to the majority of players. Two down-forward motions are fine, two button presses that aren't kick+punch is a pain in the ass.

see5harp

All this Backbone hate and I'm playing Ranked Match one after the other with only one match having any noticeable lag. I played a player match with someone in Australia with zero lag. Not a single game has hard frozen on me.

Ploid 3.0

Backbone does the bare minimum it seem. I want capcom to stop allowing the dpad and analog to be active at the same time. Why do they constantly allow this, and I too would like a macro for the 2 punches and kicks for combo purposes. I could rearrange them so I can press them better though, but I really want to disable the analog. It always get stuck in a jump, back, or forward position. Who said the sixaxis deadzone was too much? Darnit.

Ploid 3.0 said:
but I really want to disable the analog. It always get stuck in a jump, back, or forward position. Who said the sixaxis deadzone was too much? Darnit.
My wired pad falls for this problem as the stick is much looser then my wireless ones, also seems to favour leaning to the left. The slightest touch will make it think it's being tipped left.

-PXG-

I guess I will come out and say it (in case you didn't know)

The new Marvel vs Capcom 2 Tournament Sticks are coming out October 13th and will be $169.99. Supplies will be very limited. SKUs are already active in GameStop's system. In other words, you can pre-order them now.

There aren't any photos of it yet. Hopefully it looks cool. If you call you're local stores and they don't know what you're talking about, just ask them to look up the SKU numbers below.

360 = 804114
PS3 = 804115

conman

tenten said:
Wait what?

I thought ign said that the ps3 version was far superior and they gave it .2 points higher right?
Which is why it's stupid for media outlets to review games with significant online components so far in advance. They should wait until it hits the public before they can accurately evaluate online features. Gaming media is too concerned with being first rather than most trustworthy.

-PXG-

conman said:
Which is why it's stupid for media outlets to review games with significant online components so far in advance. They should wait until it hits the public before they can accurately evaluate online features. Gaming media is too concerned with being first rather than most trustworthy.

Funny, I just made a thread about games with shitty net code :lol

MMaRsu

What the fuck it with the hate on backbone. Almost never had any lag in ranked match. Sure a couple of small bugs but nothing big. Damn. Be glad this game even got released at all.

Volcynika

MMaRsu said:
What the fuck it with the hate on backbone. Almost never had any lag in ranked match. Sure a couple of small bugs but nothing big. Damn. Be glad this game even got released at all.

That is not a good point to stand behind.

No. When every time someone leaves from a ranked room before a match the game will hang on Leaving Room forcing you to either sign out of PSN (the fastest way) or quit to XMB every single time without fail then that is not "working well" that is "fire your fucking lazy incompetent QA staff" time.

Volcynika

MMaRsu said:
Ok whatever you say. I'm glad I can play this on my Xbox, and it works great and the netcode is good.

And I've had my hardly any issues on my PS3 version of it, but you can't literally think it's fine to tell people who have freezing issues and having to do hard reboots or w/e of their console with this game and go "be glad this game came out at all." I'm glad when games release and they have quality like the consumer should expect.

Yama said:

It's because searching for matches almost never works for some people. I tried to search for a match 5 different times and each time, my PS3 froze. Other people told me the same thing.

The only way I was able to get a match going was by starting a room and inviting some people on my friends list. I made a 4 person room with default options. I got to play with one person, but as soon as someone else joined the room, the previous person got kicked.

So as it stands, the 360 version is superior tech ™.

Ploid 3.0

Remember SSF2T HDR? The game ran better if you didn't pick characters with the start button. Maybe if you don't boot the game the game will run correctly. Maybe pressing a button at all causes a bug. Backbone tm

The problems I ran into is when you go to the lobby after a fight sometimes you can't advance to the next screen. Both people will figure the person went afk or something. It's not locked, you can exit the room and access the xmb. You just can't advance to the character select. Maybe pressing x x cause it for all I know. We're in the testing for backbone phase.

Top Bottom