• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom® 2(XBLA PSN) |OT| - F*CK THE KNICKS

That sucks about hte PS3 version. I was going to have both for tourney reasons. :(

I am so, so glad the 360 version is mostly awesome. As long as I get a 70 or less ping, playing online is almost as good as playing with someone on the same system. I've played almost 100 matches now and I barely ever notice any kind of lag.

I think the character select is a little jumpy but that's SUCH a small gripe!

Only a few things I wish for:

1) When you create a match, have an option to display ONLY THE PING of your opponent and give an option to kick. RIght now if you create a match you have no idea how good the connection is, while doing a custom search lets you know exactly what you are getting into.

2) I wish they preserved the original game intro sequence.

3) FIx the bug where every once in a while if you create a game and someone joins and then leaves you get kicked to a blank background and the game is locked. You can restart the game and it doesnt happen often and you can leave yourself if the game doesn't start in a few seconds to completely avoid it, so its a small thing.

AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME otherwise! I am loving getting my butt whipped in this game!!!

Ploid 3.0

I've been having a blast with the game too. It's so fun, I just wish another company made it and allowed analog to be disabled. Lobbies are back! Take that sf4!

Guled

what wrong with the PSN version. There was a lot of hate for the psn version of HDR, but I didn't really have a problem with it, is there something really wrong this time or is it just noise?

Volcynika

Guled said:
what wrong with the PSN version. There was a lot of hate for the psn version of HDR, but I didn't really have a problem with it, is there something really wrong this time or is it just noise?

My friend downloaded the game for himself tonight (PS3 Version). Starts it and the game froze on him in the main menu. Just a taste! :p

vocab

MMaRsu said:
Be glad this game even got released at all.

It was already out on the Dreamcast, and it was perfectly fine. Don't act like this is some rare and out of print game that no one can play, and that Backbone, and Capcom are our saviors. It's a watered down port, with half assed GGPO rollback, and broken ass lobbies. I expect better.

mackaveli

Guled said:

for me, the game has only froze once and i've played over 50+ matches.

It froze cause i want to search all the lobbies in the friendly match settings. I have decided not to do that no more and i haven't froze. No idea if going to the lobbies will cause you to freeze.

Also, i find that if you try and find a quick match it usually says no game found but all you have to do is keep trying 3-5 times and you'll get a game.

Someone play me on ps3 from GAF. PSN: Mackaveli

my ryu, ken, akuma team is deadly. I took out some Commando, cyclops, blackheart dude. He thought he was pretty good at first when i picked a team of wolverine x 2, and sabretooth.

vocab said:
It was already out on the Dreamcast, and it was perfectly fine. Don't act like this is some rare and out of print game that no one can play, and that Backbone, and Capcom are our saviors. It's a watered down port, with half assed GGPO rollback, and broken ass lobbies. I expect better.

If you are talking about the XBL version, I could not disagree more.

I own the Dreamcast ver and it's hooked up to my TV now in fact. Now I actually have someone to play against!

vocab

If you are talking about the XBL version, I could not disagree more.

You can disagree with me all you want. However, there's already videos out there documenting all these problems on youtube. DSP's videos feature all those problems I listed. I watched a 6 man lobby play through on justin tv, and I saw the problems such as the ready up problems, and not being able to kick someone from lobby because of said ready up problems. Also, I've put countless hours into ST on GGPO, and HDR/MVC2's netcode really doesn't compare. They have the same fundamentals, but GGPO is much more polished, does a better job at handling input lag and roll backs barely happen. I've seen countless times on HDR/MVC2's netcode where your moves would be taken back to compensate for the lag, and it would completely disrupt the flow of the game.

n3ss

aka acr0nym
vocab said:
You can disagree with me all you want. However, there's already videos out there documenting all these problems on youtube. DSP's videos feature all those problems I listed. I watched a 6 man lobby play through on justin tv, and I saw the problems such as the ready up problems, and not being able to kick someone from lobby because of said ready up problems. Also, I've put countless hours into ST on GGPO, and HDR/MVC2's netcode really doesn't compare. They have the same fundamentals, but GGPO is much more polished, does a better job at handling input lag and roll backs barely happen. I've seen countless times on HDR/MVC2's netcode where your moves would be taken back to compensate for the lag, and it would completely disrupt the flow of the game.

Hahaha, damn junior.

dankir

I fucking love this game, brings back memories of the arcades / dreamcast in the early 2000.

I'm 86 - 81 in ranked but I have to yet to understand the following:

As soon as an opponent enters the ranked room why does pressing A do nothing? Usually if the select screen doesn't show up within 5 seconds I leave. I've been getting that error when a player drops and it freezes on the menu screen so I have exit and restart. They should have taken the system from SF IV where both players know when the other is ready and match starts shortly after.

Other than that, I love it fucking great with the SF IV TE Stick too.

Laggy as fuck! That's all I can say...

People think I quit halfway through the game. I've been playing single-player cause Online is fucking unplayable. How the fuck could they released broken piece of shit like this?

dankir

shagg_187 said:

People think I quit halfway through the game. I've been playing single-player cause Online is fucking unplayable. How the fuck could they released broken piece of shit like this?

I've had 3 dropouts 'cuz the ppl were losing big time, never any lag issues. Not once in over 160 ranked matches

jman2050

shagg_187 said:

Sounds like your connection sucks.

Agent X

Tried playing with Mackaveli for the second night in a row, and we were still unable to connect to each other online. Sheesh.

Then I went ahead and started up a single-player session. I took my team of Wolverine, Cyclops, and Storm all the way up to Abyss, and the game locked up while executing one of Cyclops' hyper combos.

A patch is definitely needed here.

mackaveli

Agent X said:
Tried playing with Mackaveli for the second night in a row, and we were still unable to connect to each other online. Sheesh.

Then I went ahead and started up a single-player session. I took my team of Wolverine, Cyclops, and Storm all the way up to Abyss, and the game locked up while executing one of Cyclops' hyper combos.

A patch is definitely needed here.

yeah sucks that we can't play each other. I tried inviting some other person and it worked.

First, I love this game. I haven't really experienced any problems whatsoever in the game but some things are frustrating and hope they patch it.

A tip to ps3 users. I just found this out. If you play custom soundtracks, if you join a game usually the music stops and it plays MVC2 music. To prevent this, voice chat has to be disabled, so i just create games from now on.

Usually i get someone to join my game within 15 seconds which isn't too bad. I only experienced lag 3 times out of 100 matches or so. My record in rank is 27-3 and in friendly matches its probably 75% win rate. The lag hasnt been too bad but when it happens i have no clue wtf is going on.

It's strange that the bugs i saw on the 360 youtube videos of character names being wrong or character icons when loading the match screwing up. I havent experienced this yet.

Another bug i think is, if akuma does his hurricane assist and doesn't hit, the opponents character model is lightning like.

Also fix t-bonne assist. It is annoying.

Roto13

MMaRsu said:
What the fuck it with the hate on backbone. Almost never had any lag in ranked match. Sure a couple of small bugs but nothing big. Damn. Be glad this game even got released at all.
People like you don't deserve high-quality games.

Kuroyume

Banned
It's good to see the PS3 version have issues not because I want to see you guys have problems but because hopefully it forces them to get on a patch ASAP. The 360 version also often freezes when connecting with someone after creating a match, but it hasn't randomly frozen any other time. Backbone is the absolute fucking worst. It's ridiculous to see these other devs closing or looking for games to work on while these guys continue handle and ruin more ports. It's not like they had to create a game from scratch. Capcom devloped the game. They're using a modified version of GGPO. Yet, despite most of the work being done by others they still manage to screw up.

SSFIITHDR
Space Invaders Extreme
MvsC 2

If it wasn't for Capcom licensing GGPO these ports would be so fucked up. The netcode in SIE is incredibly bad and there's not even that much going on screen compared to a fighting game. Play SIE online to see what they would have done if not for GGPO.

Despite the freezing it's still a good port. The sprites look pretty good even with the shit filter but I'm sticking to the unfiltered look. I've also enjoyed the game a lot, and I'm glad they kept the old tunes in there. The version of the SFII theme they used in SSFIITHDR was catchy the first few times but by the 100th time it became really obnoxious and that thing plays constantly. The tunes in this game are fine. I don't understand the complaints there.

If Capcom really listens to their fans then I hope the stop using Backbone for future games.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
vocab said:
I'm pretty sure it's out-of-print and hard to find on the 3 systems it was released for (dreamcast, PS2, xbox).:p
Heck i remember it being one of those games, that i actually had a hard time trying to play, till i finally found a PS2 version selling for $15.:lol

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just bought this on PSN and played 10 matches with a friend (he invited me) and we experienced no noticeable lag. It seriously felt like we were playing a match in the same room. He was in Seattle, Washington and I am in Tokyo, by the way. I have never experienced such a smooth online experience with a fighting game especially with someone across an ocean.

I wonder why so many people are having problems.

Everytime I lose and someone exits the victory pose to beat up the body on the floor, I know deep down that they must have what scholars refer to as a "micro-penis".

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Zefah said:
I just bought this on PSN and played 10 matches with a friend (he invited me) and we experienced no noticeable lag. It seriously felt like we were playing a match in the same room. He was in Seattle, Washington and I am in Tokyo, by the way. I have never experienced such a smooth online experience with a fighting game especially with someone across an ocean.

I wonder why so many people are having problems.
It seems when i play random matchs with random people, the online is fairly in-consistent.
However when i play a planned match with like a friend who invites me, i have a very smooth online experience. Even with our regional differences. (him being in US and me being australian).

Lafiel said:
I'm pretty sure it's out-of-print and hard to find on the 3 systems it was released for (dreamcast, PS2, xbox).:p
Heck i remember it being one of those games, that i actually had a hard time trying to play, till i finally found a PS2 version selling for $15.:lol

Used PS2 Copies were going for $70 or so at gamestop about a year ago, and even higher online. It most certainly WAS a rare and out of print game a lot of people wanted to play again.

Damnit!! Was having a really awesome fight when PSN disconnected out of nowhere.

Can't connect now, anyway, if someone here has the nick Polsky or something started with a "P", sorry it wasn't my fault lol

mackaveli

ChackanKun said:
Damnit!! Was having a really awesome fight when PSN disconnected out of nowhere.

Can't connect now, anyway, if someone here has the nick Polsky or something started with a "P", sorry it wasn't my fault lol

psn not down for me. Just finished playing MVC2 for a hour straight. hey add me and lets play some friendly matches.

PSN: Mackaveli

Giard

Retarded question time: How do you stop playing against someone online?
I played my first player match yesterday, and after I got my ass kicked like 4 times, I tried to quit in between matches, but it seems the game wouldn't let me. I saw some stat page for 2 seconds, then the character select screen appears yet again.

I quit using "Return to Dashboard"...there has to be a better way without getting the other guy to insult me!

mackaveli

Giard said:
Retarded question time: How do you stop playing against someone online?
I played my first player match yesterday, and after I got my ass kicked like 4 times, I tried to quit in between matches, but it seems the game wouldn't let me. I saw some stat page for 2 seconds, then the character select screen appears yet again.

I quit using "Return to Dashboard"...there has to be a better way without getting the other guy to insult me!

two ways to quit

1) During game press start and exit to game.

2) After it shows stats don't press x (ps3) / A (360) and press circle (ps3) or B (36) to leave game.

Danneee

Wanted some nice button mashing game so I bought this just now.
Boy did I get was I was looking for, might try to actually play the game later and not just look at all the pretty things on the screen:lol

Agent X

Keikoku said:
So can anybody tell me who's in the X-Men team, street fighter team, etc... for the achievements ?

I already got the trophies for the Street Fighter team and X-Men team.

For Street Fighter team, I used Ryu, Chun Li, and Guile. I'm sure there are other characters that would qualify, such as Ken or Cammy.

For X-Men team, I used Wolverine, Cyclops, and Storm. Again, you've probably got others to choose from, such as Gambit or Rogue.

I haven't tried the other two "team" trophies yet. For Darkstalkers, I would say Morrigan, Felicia, Anakaris, and B.B. Hood, and for Avengers I would say Captain America, Hulk, and Iron Man.

Agent X said:
I already got the trophies for the Street Fighter team and X-Men team.

For Street Fighter team, I used Ryu, Chun Li, and Guile. I'm sure there are other characters that would qualify, such as Ken or Cammy.

For X-Men team, I used Wolverine, Cyclops, and Storm. Again, you've probably got others to choose from, such as Gambit or Rogue.

I haven't tried the other two "team" trophies yet. For Darkstalkers, I would say Morrigan, Felicia, Anakaris, and B.B. Hood, and for Avengers I would say Captain America, Hulk, and Iron Man.
Since the single player is offline and all you can stack the same character 3 times if you prefer, like 3 cables, 3 iron men, 3 b.b.hoods etc.

RefigeKru

Banned
Captain Commando, Ryu and Jill.

Team Victory.

Played 12games today, only lost one and it was lagging against some guy using Cammy who was picking me up off the floor but the game didn't actually show it through the lag. :lol

3 people have ragequit on me, turns out Cable+Sentinel teams tend to break apart once you kill one of them. This is awesome.

Kuroyume

Banned
That's another thing Backbone should be bashed for in addition to everything else. How about being a bit less ambigous with the fucking achievments? The Arcade mode or whatever its called is pretty damn difficult for me even on the easy setting. I've played it many times and I haven't unlocked anything yet. The first time I died while trying to complete the game so I figured that was the problem, but after that I've managed to complete it a few times without dying and haven't gotten anything. Can you get anything on easy anyway? How the hell is Juggernaut not on the X-Men team? He's a character from the X-Men universe and didn't he join the X-Men recently? I beat it with one Juggernaut and even a team of threee Juggernauts and I didn't get shit. How about not being stupid and specifying what people need to do and who they need to it with to unlock those things?

mackaveli

yeah i played two decent guys today and lost. 1, the lag was so bad i didn'tknow what was going on screen. And the 2nd, he got me in the ironman infinite and i was fucked. I totally forgot about it with psylocke as his assist and i thought he didnt know how to do it. Boy was i wrong.

Also, i've had 3-4 rage quits today and the thing is, i was using ryu, ken, akuma as my team haha.

my low tier teams include

ryu
ken
akuma

or ryu/cammy/akuma.

I've only lost a couple of times and won the most. I want to try this team against a top tier guy. I played a cable, commando, sentinel guy but he sucked. I just rushed his ass and beat him in 20seconds.

anyone decent at this game want to play me?

Everybody complains about "journalism" in the gaming industry. Why doesn't someone with the pull of a magazine or Web site simply get Backbone on the phone and see what they have to say for themselves? That would be refreshing.

RefigeKru

Banned
mackaveli said:
yeah i played two decent guys today and lost. 1, the lag was so bad i didn'tknow what was going on screen. And the 2nd, he got me in the ironman infinite and i was fucked. I totally forgot about it with psylocke as his assist and i thought he didnt know how to do it. Boy was i wrong.

Also, i've had 3-4 rage quits today and the thing is, i was using ryu, ken, akuma as my team haha.

my low tier teams include

ryu
ken
akuma

or ryu/cammy/akuma.

I've only lost a couple of times and won the most. I want to try this team against a top tier guy. I played a cable, commando, sentinel guy but he sucked. I just rushed his ass and beat him in 20seconds.

anyone decent at this game want to play me?
I can play you if you're on PSN: Kusikia

LM4sure

Banned
That's twice now that I've tried searching for a friendly match and the game has locked up on me. THIS GAME SUCKS!!! (ps3 version)

mackaveli said:
psn not down for me. Just finished playing MVC2 for a hour straight. hey add me and lets play some friendly matches.

PSN: Mackaveli

I'm not at home atm, so if you want to take a step ahead, add ChackanKun.

Just send me an invite when i'm on and i'll be fighting you :D

Top Bottom