• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom® 2(XBLA PSN) |OT| - F*CK THE KNICKS

tribal24

Banned
god just played mvc for like 4 hours straight some dude got pissed and raged quit that i beat him since he got a little streak going then i beat him again.:lol :lol :lol so great <3 this game

Christopher

RadarScope1 said:
Everybody complains about "journalism" in the gaming industry. Why doesn't someone with the pull of a magazine or Web site simply get Backbone on the phone and see what they have to say for themselves? That would be refreshing.

The fact of why game journalism sucks I'd also like to know why Turtles in Time no orignal music was included.

Ravager61

Ok. So when I'm actually playing the game itself online, the game is great. The menus however are fucked. Someone please correct me if Im doing something wrong.

1. When Im in a lobby, no information about either me or my opponent is displayed. It just shows my user name in one box with no info and in the other box it just says opponent. It doesnt give me their PSN or any info about them. Is this normal? Shouldnt it display their stats or whatever?

2. When I search for non ranked matches, the game freezes everytime. I cant go back or access XMB. Quick matches work fine and I can create my own match but I cant search for matches. It just hangs at the Refreshing screen.

3. When playing in a player match that I am not hosting, I can see no way to quit out between matches. The match ends, the win loss screen is shown, and then if the host immediately starts another match, it immediately takes me to the character select screen. At no point in this can I opt not to participate in another match. I have to wait for the match to start and then quit.

I know bugs have been talked about a lot in here but I just wanted to point out my observations in case some of these are user error and not the game. This is the ps3 version btw.

All this said, I still love the game. PSN ID is Ravager61 if anyone wants to play.

mackaveli

Ravager61 said:
Ok. So when I'm actually playing the game itself online, the game is great. The menus however are fucked. Someone please correct me if Im doing something wrong.

1. When Im in a lobby, no information about either me or my opponent is displayed. It just shows my user name in one box with no info and in the other box it just says opponent. It doesnt give me their PSN or any info about them. Is this normal? Shouldnt it display their stats or whatever?

2. When I search for non ranked matches, the game freezes everytime. I cant go back or access XMB. Quick matches work fine and I can create my own match but I cant search for matches. It just hangs at the Refreshing screen.

3. When playing in a player match that I am not hosting, I can see no way to quit out between matches. The match ends, the win loss screen is shown, and then if the host immediately starts another match, it immediately takes me to the character select screen. At no point in this can I opt not to participate in another match. I have to wait for the match to start and then quit.

I know bugs have been talked about a lot in here but I just wanted to point out my observations in case some of these are user error and not the game. This is the ps3 version btw.

gg ravager.

To quit, after it shows the scores, press circle not x,. Pressing circle asks if you want to leave. works for me.

Ravager61

mackaveli said:
gg ravager.

To quit, after it shows the scores, press circle not x,. Pressing circle asks if you want to leave. works for me.

GG to you as well. You kicked my ass hard lol.

The problem is after the scores, Im immediately taken to the char select screen if the host immediately started a new round. Maybe I am missing something.

Ranked matches do not show you know you are against until the match starts, so that is why only "opponent" appears.

In player matches you can launch a new round near instantly after the "you win" screen, faster then it takes to quit sometimes, they should have given the launch button a 3 second delay or something.

mackaveli

Ravager61 said:
GG to you as well. You kicked my ass hard lol.

The problem is after the scores, Im immediately taken to the char select screen if the host immediately started a new round. Maybe I am missing something.

after the scores press x so it takes you to the game room. Then proceed to press circle then say yes to leave.

works every time for me. I noticed though if you do not press anything in the score screen it will go to char select so press x.

karasu

Capcom fighters seem to be full of unchecked idiocy. What's with this infinite helper shit? I don't remember that in the arcades. It's so fucking obnoxious. I have the most boring fights in this and SF4 because dudes just keep doing the same silly shit over and over again.

karasu said:
Capcom fighters seem to be full of unchecked idiocy. What's with this infinite helper shit? I don't remember that in the arcades. It's so fucking obnoxious. I have the most boring fights in this and SF4 because dudes just keep doing the same silly shit over and over again.
LOL what arcade did you go to?

n3ss

aka acr0nym
karasu said:
High level it can get boring, but I still have a killer time with the game. And infinite assist has always been there -learn to use them properly.

I'll be signing on in a hour. Headed home via BART (one more day before the strike... lame).

GT: n33ss

Ravager61

mackaveli said:
after the scores press x so it takes you to the game room. Then proceed to press circle then say yes to leave.

works every time for me. I noticed though if you do not press anything in the score screen it will go to char select so press x.

Yeah that works for me as well, its just sometimes it never takes me to the game room if the host goes fast.

conman

RadarScope1 said:
Everybody complains about "journalism" in the gaming industry. Why doesn't someone with the pull of a magazine or Web site simply get Backbone on the phone and see what they have to say for themselves? That would be refreshing.
The problem is that most gaming sites/magazines reviewed the 360 version since it came out two weeks earlier. The PSN version isn't even on their radar.

As a result, Capcom doesn't have to worry about this affecting sales since most sites used their 360 review for both platforms, so the serious issues with the PS3 version aren't appearing in reviews.

The problem--as has been stated many times before--is that most sites value timeliness more than accuracy. That is, it's more important for them to get a review up as early as possible than it is for them to get an accurate review that reflects the actual state of the retail release.

Not until gaming journalists begin to take themselves seriously will this change. Pandering to exclusivity deals and day-one reviews means consumers get a "close-enough" review. This gen, with greater and greater focus on online features, day-one reviews simply aren't accurate.

Agent X

karasu said:
What's with this infinite helper shit? I don't remember that in the arcades.

You're probably thinking of the first Marvel vs. Capcom game, in which the helpers could only be summoned a limited number of times per match.

i agree with what was said above - looking at some of hte matches on youtube its not really a fighting game anymore - its more like guitar hero just push the buttons as fast as you can in sequence. the game is great dont get me wrong but i cant see the fun in trying to spam infinite combos as many times as possible. wheres the fun in that esp. if someone cant fight back?

i dont think ive ever bothered to learn an infinite or keep recycling moves - whats the point? also - there are like 60 characters - why do people only use the same three people all the time? isnt half the fun to use someone different every time and just have fun?

kuYuri

Does holding down the Assist button during the VS screen still switch your current point character with another? I tried it just now in a ranked match and it didn't work.

Played my first two matches online today and while trying to search a third one, it freezes on me while searching. :lol

Then I just stopped.

n3ss

aka acr0nym
Strider2K99 said:
Does holding down the Assist button during the VS screen still switch your current point character with another? I tried it just now in a ranked match and it didn't work.

Played my first two matches online today and while trying to search a third one, it freezes on me while searching. :lol

Then I just stopped.

No, due to the glitch that's related to it.

Ronabo

n3ss said:
I'm starting to get the feeling that no one on Gaf plays on xbl...

Hey I came into your room. You beat my ass. I'm not much competition on this game because I don't really like the top tier characters.

Anyways, if you ever want a punching bag, hit me up.

n3ss

aka acr0nym
Ronabo said:
Hey I came into your room. You beat my ass. I'm not much competition on this game because I don't really like the top tier characters.

Anyways, if you ever want a punching bag, hit me up.

we can do low tier :D

Edit: I made a private room

GT: n33ss

Ploid 3.0

What is lower tier? I picked Cable once and finally won against a friend that was just murdering me. Then I read here that picking cable is lame. I don't like picking the cheap characters, is there some easy to follow chart to go by? Too many characters in this game.

Shouta

You'll be fine picking Cable, Ploid. He's just a top character, meaning he gets a lot of wins at the tournament level so some folks frown on it.

Played a couple of rounds, Zangief'ing newbie Cables is so much fun. :lol

Back to the classic team for now...Jill, Tron and Venom.

I'm still getting back into the groove, but if anyone ever wants to play hit me up, PSN ID is PaiPai.

mackaveli

Shouta said:
You'll be fine picking Cable, Ploid. He's just a top character, meaning he gets a lot of wins at the tournament level so some folks frown on it.

yeah i ryu/ken/akuma cables today for breakfast. I just rush the shit out of them and they have no idea what just happened.

you got this on PS3?

hit me up. PSN: Mackaveli

i haven't met anyone that is really good at this game. I want to play a guy better than me so i can learn and improve.

Narcosis

Ploid 3.0 said:
What is lower tier? I picked Cable once and finally won against a friend that was just murdering me. Then I read here that picking cable is lame. I don't like picking the cheap characters, is there some easy to follow chart to go by? Too many characters in this game.

Why do people do this to themselves?

Just pick whatever characters are the most fun for you to play as, ignore the tiers and bullshit coming from the internet. I think many times the worst thing about fighting games is the communities that spring up around them.

Shouta

mackaveli said:
yeah i ryu/ken/akuma cables today for breakfast. I just rush the shit out of them and they have no idea what just happened.

you got this on PS3?

hit me up. PSN: Mackaveli

i haven't met anyone that is really good at this game. I want to play a guy better than me so i can learn and improve.

yeah, I got this on PS3. You on right now?

Narcosis said:

Just pick whatever characters are the most fun for you to play as, ignore the tiers and bullshit coming from the internet. I think many times the worst thing about fighting games is the communities that spring up around them.

That's the best thing about fighting games. Every year I meet tons of cool people at tournaments like Evo and get to play with them and chill. My local community is also very passionate and we've all become really good friends. A fighting game isn't the same without the support of the competitive scene and fighting game community. It's become a very social hobby for me and many others.

Ploid 3.0

Narcosis said:

I don't want to use him as a crutch, and I don't want things to seem too easy. I'm pretty much stuck on blanka in sf2t hdr, and sf4. I also would like to not seem cheap (SF4 sagat).

Shouta said:

Oh no! You're a gief player? You and Aelia hah. Never tried Gief in this game yet. I was looking for charge characters to take the place of blanka, and Bison feel like he don't do charges at all. I didn't want to check the command list because I was playing online. B.B. Hood does though, I like that character.

2psq32u.jpg

Shouta

Ploid 3.0 said:
Oh no! You're a gief player? You and Aelia hah. Never tried Gief in this game yet. I was looking for charge characters to take the place of blanka, and Bison feel like he don't do charges at all. I didn't want to check the command list because I was playing online. B.B. Hood does though, I like that character.

Play Guile or Charlie. Charge characters are a little different in this but they should be up your alley. I only play 'gief for fun in MvC2. Not good enough to consistently beat folks with him. :lol

DR2K

Banned
karasu said:

I think you're confusing MVC2 with MVC1. . .

KiNeSiS

Banned
Got This Today, Get @ Me!

PSN- MikeCisThaILLest

All of you that are bitching shut your genital gobblers!

MvsC2 Is Back & Looks Better Then Ever, Plays Even Better Then It Looks!

mackaveli said:

Not me for sure :lol

Haven't played the first for about what..9/10 years? And never played this second so I kinda suck :p

see5harp

ChackanKun said:
Not me for sure :lol

Haven't played the first for about what..9/10 years? And never played this second so I kinda suck :p

Play with n3ss and his kinfolk. I couldn't even tell what the hell was going on. My whole team would be dead off screen with me just staring at Storm flying around like a golden god.

AAARRRRRGHHHH.

How the fuck are you ever supposed to get the fucking "Perform 50 One Character Victories within 20 unique teams in Scoreboard Matches" trophy when the 5 I have done so far the other player will always fucking rage-quit on their last character.

What a fucking stupid achievement.

SecretBonusPoint said:
AAARRRRRGHHHH.

How the fuck are you ever supposed to get the fucking "Perform 50 One Character Victories within 20 unique teams in Scoreboard Matches" trophy when the 5 I have done so far the other player will always fucking rage-quit on their last character.

What a fucking stupid achievement.
Agreed fully x 200000

see5harp said:
Play with n3ss and his kinfolk. I couldn't even tell what the hell was going on. My whole team would be dead off screen with me just staring at Storm flying around like a golden god.

Yeah, happens all the time :lol

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Wow I can't believe how impressed I am with this game online!

So far I've only played ten games and I have yet to encounter a "top tier" team. Every game I play is varied and different. And this game is virtually LAG free! And I am playing on my wireless connection, wow! Again, this FAR FAR exceeded my expectations. I thought "Man there's only going to be top tier people online, it won't be any fun..." but every online match has been great. The only snick would be as someone mentioned, if someone joins your room and then they quit out of the game, you get a freezing hanging screen. That's happened to me a few times now.

Someone from GAF want to get some games in my PSN: adam_prime

Also: can you custom soundtrack this game?

mackaveli

Shouta said:
yeah, I got this on PS3. You on right now?

hey is your PSN your gaf name? I'll add you later today. I'm going to be on tonight. Got a lot of school work to finish off first.

A thing i noticed is that in scoreboard matches there seems to be some lag. I haven't experienced lag at all in friendly matches but in 50 scoreboard matches, the last couple games i played were laggy.

Roto13

Narcosis said:

Ken has been my Street Fighter main since II. IV whiners can lick my balls. :p

Top Bottom