• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom® 2(XBLA PSN) |OT| - F*CK THE KNICKS

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Captain N said:
Does anyone think if this game does HUGE numbers it will get people talking about Marvel vs Capcom 3 again?

Possible, but it won't happen. Marvel/Capcom broke on bad terms (IIRC) and the only reason this is seeing release is because it's digital and a quick/sloppy (hopefully not in online?) port.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Jet Grind Radio! said:
Actually, Marvel has stated an interest in the Vs series IIRC.

Yeah, well Activision (or someone else? Did Activision lose the license? I don't think they did since Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 is supposed to be out soon?) owns the Marvel licenses for games now. Unless Marvel pulls that (which is doubtful)/Activision gives a nod to go ahead to Capcom it's doubtful anyway.

Marvel has different licenses for different things. Activision has a license for action RPGs, SEGA has a few movie license, and EA HAD the fighting game license, but they lost that after the shitty Marvel Nemesis.

I remember hearing that Capcom wanted to port the game a few years ago, but couldn't modify the code since they did not have the license anymore.

Captain N

Jet Grind Radio! said:
Marvel has different licenses for different things. Activision has a license for action RPGs, SEGA has a few movie license, and EA HAD the fighting game license, but they lost that after the shitty Marvel Nemesis.

I remember hearing that Capcom wanted to port the game a few years ago, but couldn't modify the code since they did not have the license anymore.

Yeah, I am pretty sure both Marvel and Capcom has said they'd love to do a third one...well at least hinted at it.

n3ss

aka acr0nym
Jet Grind Radio! said:
I'd actually love a straight Marvel fighter first, then a return to the VS series.

Vs series or no dice!

But we all would love to see a 3rd, lets hope!

TheSeks said:
Yeah, well Activision (or someone else? Did Activision lose the license? I don't think they did since Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 is supposed to be out soon?) owns the Marvel licenses for games now. Unless Marvel pulls that (which is doubtful)/Activision gives a nod to go ahead to Capcom it's doubtful anyway.
Activision doesnt have the license for FIGHTING games.
Marvel's smart, they divide their licenses into genres for maximum money.

TheSeks said:
Uh...? What? Maybe I misread this, but how would you have 6 players in a 3 vs 3 (one at a time/tag-teamable) two player game?
The Dreamcast port of the first Marvel vs. Capcom had that IIRC. 4 players, with 2 on each team and once a player was tagged in he or she would assume control of it.

Dali

Jet Grind Radio! said:

They didn't "lose" it after Nemesis. They were working on another Marvel fighting game, but decided they didn't want it anymore and the game was axed. EA wanted to focus on developing their own original IPs or something to that effect.

BradVanDam said:
f221za.jpg

SO PRINGLES!
wow

Zeliard

TheSeks said:
Possible, but it won't happen. Marvel/Capcom broke on bad terms (IIRC) and the only reason this is seeing release is because it's digital and a quick/sloppy (hopefully not in online?) port.

Money talks. MvC3 has the potential to sell very well, and as long as that's true, the possibility is more likely than not that we'll see it eventually.

as i recall, parties from both Capcom AND Marvel want Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 to happen. Marvel wants it to happen because a) it will be a big seller and b) it is a respected series and marvel would like to be associated with a good product once in a while. Capcom obviously loves the sales and extending the popularity of their franchises as well.

Win win the way i see it! Lets get Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 with that new Vs. engine Capcom has! (or the old one i don't give a shit!)

remember all those rumors of DC Vs. Capcom? What about Marvel Vs. DC Vs. Capcom!?

Zeliard

FrenchMovieTheme said:
as i recall, parties from both Capcom AND Marvel want Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 to happen. Marvel wants it to happen because a) it will be a big seller and b) it is a respected series and marvel would like to be associated with a good product once in a while. Capcom obviously loves the sales and extending the popularity of their franchises as well.

Win win the way i see it! Lets get Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 with that new Vs. engine Capcom has! (or the old one i don't give a shit!)

remember all those rumors of DC Vs. Capcom? What about Marvel Vs. DC Vs. Capcom!?

What sort of terms are Marvel and DC on these days? I recall them having a fairly amicable relationship at some point.

Nemesis_

I've always though that Marvel vs Capcom 2 HD will be a "test" to see how popular the series is, and then we'll get the go ahead to get MvsC3 developed.

Just the way both parties want to do it makes me wonder.

Nemesis556 said:
I've always though that Marvel vs Capcom 2 HD will be a "test" to see how popular the series is, and then we'll get the go ahead to get MvsC3 developed.

i'm definitely going to express my interest by buying this

Nemesis_

_dementia said:
i'm definitely going to express my interest by buying this

Yeah, me too. Hopefully I am correct though. I mean, surely that was their original plan? Release MvsC2 through a barebones license (they aren't allowed any retail products) and then see how it goes. If it goes bad, it was only a barebones license, no money majorly lost, if it goes well, renew the license and make MvsC3.

It should be noted I have no idea how licensing works. >_> This idea works in my head. That's all that matters, right?

Nemesis556 said:

I'm double-dipping, so hopefully they will pay attention to the sales!

Kuraudo

Banned
Nemesis556 said:
Yeah, me too. Hopefully I am correct though. I mean, surely that was their original plan? Release MvsC2 through a barebones license (they aren't allowed any retail products) and then see how it goes. If it goes bad, it was only a barebones license, no money majorly lost, if it goes well, renew the license and make MvsC3.

It should be noted I have no idea how licensing works. >_> This idea works in my head. That's all that matters, right?

It depends on how much value Capcom deem the license to have. If they decide the game sold more with the Marvel brand and characters than it would have without, then they may decide to pick up the license again. Given how well SFIV sold based on Capcom's own brand recognition, they might decide to forego licenses all together and just make another fighting game that they hold all the rights over.

Well, I think recently Marvel have been a lot more intrested in MvC3, Mainly because the Fighting Genre has undergone a bit of a renewal with Street Fighter IV, King Of Fighters XII, Tekken 6. If there's any time to give the franchise a reboot; its now.

Maybe at TGS?

Subliminal42 said:
Well, I think recently Marvel have been a lot more intrested in MvC3, Mainly because the Fighting Genre has undergone a bit of a renewal with Street Fighter IV, King Of Fighters XII, Tekken 6. If there's any time to give the franchise a reboot; its now.

Maybe at TGS?
I doubt TGS. If anything, maybe MAYBE GDC.

Lothars

jufonuk said:
Really Looking forward to this , ahh the memories of playing this on the Dreamcast back in the day

Same I also bought it when it came out for the xbox as well, I love this game and can't wait till it's released.

Subliminal42 said:

Maybe at TGS?
How about at Comic-Con going on now? It'd be nice to hear something about a sequel there, both Marvel and Capcom both having quite a presence there.

But I highly doubt it =P

GamePnoy74 said:
How about at Comic-Con going on now? It'd be nice to hear something about a sequel there, both Marvel and Capcom both having quite a presence there.

But I highly doubt it =P

I think that's very unlikely. they wan't to push MvC2.

Maybe MvC2 will have a mystery Mvc3 Trailer!

red shoe paul said:
Do you guys that are quoting this even know why he mentions Pringles?

Yup. That all they said about at EVO. If they EVO cannot get Pringles to sponser them next year, they better go with Frito-Lays Pop-Ups. Also, Magno, Sent, and Storm is the same team that is used by the MvC2 monster, YIPES..

MMaRsu said:
Does it matter? It's funny either way

Yeah I take it nobody knows, so I'll inform them..

He mentions 'Pringles' because of it's signature slogan, "Once you pop, the fun don't stop". The Magneto infinite assist at :10 - :16 'pops' the player and it can be done until they're killed.

Scoops is referenced to the air throws.

Captain N

How many people plan on double dipping? I've got the points on my account so I am going to go with the XBLA version first. PSN on day one since just got the TE stick.

xero273

Captain N said:
How many people plan on double dipping? I've got the points on my account so I am going to go with the XBLA version first. PSN on day one since just got the TE stick.

same here. That's why I sent off my hrap 3 to get it dual modded so I can buy both xbox and ps3 version.

Top Bottom