• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite announced (PC/XB1/PS4, 2017) [Update: Info In OP]

RedEther

Overreaction city in this thread

The game is in early development plus some changes may or may not be in the final game. Like someone else said here it's only been a day.

Neoxon

Honestly though, I know it's not the same system, but why are Capcom making a gameplay mechanic remotely familiar to SFXT GEMS even by name? Dafuq is wrong with them?
The Infinity Stones are a big thing in the MCU, especially in Phase 3. This may have been Marvel's call.

Crocodile

No assists at all confirmed? MANNNNNNNNNN :/

Gaf overreactions are on point tonight, wow.

No assist calls kinda sucks, but X-Men Vs. Street Fighter is a fun as fuck game to this very day and that had no assist calls either sooooooo

I mean if you are the type of person who preferred MvC2 or MvC3 style gameplay than I do think this news hurts. It doesn't mean the game will be bad but this is a pretty big lateral move in terms of gameplay. Some people will prefer this but others will be turned off and I think both opinions are fine.

Overreaction city in this thread

The game is in early development plus some changes may or may not be in the final game. Like someone else said here it's only been a day.
I'm sure they'll just add in assists and an extra character along with Magneto.

well i was talking about the graphics comparison

cause people saying that sfv looked bad during the reveal (true) but it had more time to polish compared to this
Yeah, I agree for sure. It'll end up looking pretty good I think.

Honestly though, I know it's not the same system, but why are Capcom making a gameplay mechanic remotely familiar to SFXT GEMS even by name? Dafuq is wrong with them?

Tied in to the MCU, the upcoming Avengers movie and the concept infinity gems translate well into a game mechanic.

Line_HTX

Man, I thought they weren't going to cut much if they wanted accessibility, but cutting assist out altogether?

Yikes, that's rough. Doubt it's going to remain "chaotic" as they claim it's still going to be.

JazzmanZ

Because it's bad day 1 footage, unless you think they're still trying to figure out the major gameplay mechanics.
All they promised was a little bit of gameplay, it wasn't going to be the fanciest thing.

There's one guy in here who's mad they didn't reveal more characters on Day 1

TWILT

Banned
Hmm...really not sure how I feel about how the game looks. Artstyle-wise, it looks pretty rough (especially coming off of UMvC3's stylish and super nice looking one), but obviously, the game's still in development, so I won't be too harsh on it for now. No assists though...I'm worried, but maybe it'll work out...? I really wish they showed an actual match instead of that really out of focus trailer lol. That being aside, the game DOES look fun and I hope we see more soon (Dante and Strider pls).

Mengetsu

Was this posted?

Get a first look at Captain Marvel, X, Ryu, and Iron Man in Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite and tune in tomorrow on ESPN2 for the rebroadcast of Capcom Cup for two additional characters!! #MVCI

AvPl8lu.jpg

Drayco21

Guessing we'll see Captain America tomorrow then, since he's confirmed already but unshown.

The Infinity Stones are a big thing in the MCU, especially in Phase 3. This may have been Marvel's call.

Combine that with the legacy of using those stones in Capcom's Marvel fighting games, and it seems like a perfectly legit addition to a new Mahvel.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Also, and I feel like I have some authority over this, the new Iron Man design is pretty damn ugly. Not just talking about something that can be cleaned up because it's so clear that the footage we're looking at is super early and the lighting and textures and stuff still need work. Just a weird balance of red and gold, the vents on the chestpiece look off, and something about the head looks weird too.

I fuck w/the new Proton Cannon, though. Also dope they kept Iron Avenger.

Neoxon

Was this posted?

Get a first look at Captain Marvel, X, Ryu, and Iron Man in Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite and tune in tomorrow on ESPN2 for the rebroadcast of Capcom Cup for two additional characters!! #MVCI

AvPl8lu.jpg
The Marvel character is probably Captain America, but I hope it's a Fox character to put my fears to rest.

FSLink

Banned
Was this posted?

AvPl8lu.jpg
One is probably Captain America since he's mentioned by name in the blog post.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Was this posted?

AvPl8lu.jpg

One of them is Captain America. 98% sure of it.

MGrant

i'm thinking 4 button. they said they want to make it so pad players don't feel pressured into buying a stick:

Light Attack
Heavy Attack
Launch Attack
Super

those quarter circle forward motions are pretty tricky.

I hope not. It's a fool's errand, trying to bring in every gamer. We've had fighters that are literally "Press X to combo" and "L+R = Super" and the genre's still not bringing in most game players. I think what stops people from coming into the genre are the things that you can't really take out of fighting games: one-on-one, uninterrupted, unforgiving competition. A lot of people just don't like that, and devs need to be okay with that.

I'd bet it's probably infinite bounces in Power Stone mode.

See ya at launch. I think it'll turn out fine.
If there aren't assists, it's just a tag fighter. Are tridashes going to be in the game? Or is that too hard for casual players to grasp on a pad?

Designing a Marvel game for pads is a disaster.

I-hate-u

Was this posted?

AvPl8lu.jpg

The Marvel character is Captain America, but the other one?

giphy.gif

I so feel it. Uncle Dante comin' in hot boys.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Need me some combofiend showing off matches and systems with mike ross. Hopefully early next year they start doing that.

If there aren't assists, it's just a tag fighter. Are tridashes going to be in the game? Or is that too hard for casual players to grasp on a pad?

We know air dashes are in since X does one over a Ironman beam, guess we need to wait and see. We also disnt know 3 had them until they started showing it iff properly at the time.

RocBase

lol exactly.

They make 2 vs 2 sound like it's the worst fucking thing in the world.

Before MvC2 it was fucking awesome and still is.

please, spare me with this snooty trite. 3v3 is not the same thing as 2v2 and liking either (or both) is merely a matter of preference

I'm holding out that Captain America was a typo for Captain Marvel so we can get someone not obvious marvel-side before the long wait.

But it's probably him.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member

....wat?
I've always played marvel on pad, nothing weird about it.

This has to be the biggest over reaction I've seen. And that's saying something

No assists and 2v2 is a deal breaker for me. This game is clearly not going to retain the speed and craziness that made its predecessors fun and unique. Im not interested in SFxT with Marvel characters.

I honestly don't know which is a more disappointing change in direction from Capcom, this or RE7.

I like how they realized certain characters were only being used for their assist.

So Capcom, please realize your mistake and give Hsien-Ko another chance. Let's not make her a slow piece of shit to start off. You can do it. I believe in you.

I'm not gonna complain about 2v2 because Tatsunoko vs. Capcom was the shit. :)

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I'm starting to think that the game is being outsourced to someone other than a Japanese company and Capcom is just adding their name to it. The hits lack that "umph" that you would normally see in Capcom fighting games. SFV doesn't have the best sound effects, most of us have gotten used to it.

Capcom may have some level of authority when it comes to gameplay but I'm in the camp that this is getting a portable version on iOS/Android and the art style is made like this for easy porting/updating. I mean, the game prints money itself for a very casual audience.

Drayco21

Not all hope may be lost for the X-Men, either.

They're gonna drag out my hope until the bitter end, aren't they.

The "Heritage" will be non-mutant characters getting those old movesets. The sooner you accept this truth in your heart, the sooner you will be free, brother.

....wat?
I've always played marvel on pad, nothing weird about it.

Just to be clear, I'm citing Capcom for saying they're removing assists because they're too awkward on a pad.

So my question was: if Capcom thinks assists are too hard on a pad, what else is too hard on a pad? Tridashes would definitely be up for consideration.

Capcom may have some level of authority when it comes to gameplay but I'm in the camp that this is getting a portable version on iOS/Android and the art style is made like this for easy porting/updating. I mean, the game prints money itself for a very casual audience.
Doubt it. Marvel's new gaming initiative that birthed this and Spider-Man is totally console-focused according to Marvel itself.

Not that this game can't be repurposed for mobile, but it's unlikely its mechanics and/or art style were simplified with that in mind.

Momentary

Banned
It's going to be hilarious coming back to this thread after Capcom slaps meshes, shaders, and works on lighting 6 months into production.

"Man this game looks amazing now!!!"

That would be like me complaining about how Project CARS 2 looked like a few months after it started production.

It is their fault for revealing early footage like this of a game that probably still has a year or more of development time left.

Top Bottom