• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite announced (PC/XB1/PS4, 2017) [Update: Info In OP]

Gartooth

I'm pretty conflicted about the reveal. On one hand going from 3v3 to 2v2 didn't bother me so much... but maaaan I am going to miss assists. So many crazy moments in casual play I had with friends came from life saving assist calls.

The Infinity Stone mechanic looks promising as long as its balanced well. Would be a shame for all teams to just find one stone above the others.

So that's definitely a Mega Man X/Thor mashup stage, right?

Its certainly Asgard, but it does look off. I mean, there's a truck after all. I was actually going to comment on it a bit ago, but went back to watch videos of the opening scene from MMX to see if I could find a match for the truck, but I didn't see it.

I mean if you are the type of person who preferred MvC2 or MvC3 style gameplay than I do think this news hurts. It doesn't mean the game will be bad but this is a pretty big lateral move in terms of gameplay. Some people will prefer this but others will be turned off and I think both opinions are fine.

That's completely fine and not my issue at all, especially considering the loss of 3v3 and assists are a pretty big paradigm shift for the series. I'm talking about the people declaring the game shit and dumbed down based on a just under a minute of gameplay.

Look at Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom. The game is decidedly slower than Marvel, was 2v2 instead of 3v3, and had a hilariously basic assist system. Yet, the unique mechanics the game separately brought to the table (Variable Air Combo, Baroque, Mega Crash, etc.) elevate the design beyond "watered down MvC1", and ended up being a pretty great game.

We don't know if there's more unrevealed mechanics yet. If they do reveal them and they're ass then yeah, go ham on the game. I'll probably be right there complaining too. But as it stands now, the people declaring the game DoA and dumbed down just based off of the GI article and the gameplay look fucking dumb. There's not nearly enough information out there to call it a regression yet.

Do you think Rich has a chance now? I didn't see that many similarities between him and Carol.

Then again, he'd probably have a lot of changes, too....

wildfire

Banned
The Infinity Stone mechanic looks promising as long as its balanced well. Would be a shame for all teams to just find one stone above the others.

Who wants balanced? Let's have them as broken as hell.

Rare abilities are available after a condition is met.

Soul Gem
Common ability
Your team can clone 3 skills per character of the enemy team.

Rare Ability
You can ressurect a character or enemy under your control at full health.

Time Gem
Common ability
Enemy time speed decreased. Your time speed increased.

Rare ability
You can reverse or fast forward time.

Space Gem
Common ability
You can teleport anytime and under any condition. Distance of teleport spot is preset.

Rare ability
Your team fills the background screen like a final boss. You can attack and defend from anywhere.

Mind Gem
Common ability
Increased damage from non-physical attacks. Nonphysical attacks increase nmber of hits from 2-3.

Rare ability
Block command is now universal instead of specific to high's, lows, mids and overheads.

Reality Gem
Common ability
Can toggle 2 different effects.
Effect 1 toggle between reverse inputs being on or off.

Effect 2 toggle between having platforms in the stage. Each time you toggle the entire scenary changes.

Rare ability
Replace the other character on your team for an entirely different character.

Power Gem
Common ability
Damage scaling is removed.

Rare ability
You can break blocks and do so in way to manipulate their position.

----------------------------------------------

You know you want this. Search your feelings.

Rare abilities could be character-specific ones like in MSH. At least I hope so.
That's completely fine and not my issue at all, especially considering the loss of 3v3 and assists are a pretty big paradigm shift for the series. I'm talking about the people declaring the game shit and dumbed down based on a just under a minute of gameplay.

Look at Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom. The game is decidedly slower than Marvel, was 2v2 instead of 3v3, and had a hilariously basic assist system. Yet, the unique mechanics the game separately brought to the table (Variable Air Combo, Baroque, Mega Crash, etc.) elevate the design beyond "watered down MvC1", and ended up being a pretty great game.

We don't know if there's more unrevealed mechanics yet. If they do reveal them and they're ass then yeah, go ham on the game. I'll probably be right there complaining too. But as it stands now, the people declaring the game DoA and dumbed down just based off of the GI article and the gameplay look fucking dumb. There's not nearly enough information out there to call it a regression yet.

fucking thank you

bryt

Damn... I'm so disappointed. I grew up playing 3v3 Marvel 2 and 3 with assists and this change to 2v2 with no assist is gonna be a hard pill to swallow.

Moyospeed

Neo Member
I hope not. It's a fool's errand, trying to bring in every gamer. We've had fighters that are literally "Press X to combo" and "L+R = Super" and the genre's still not bringing in most game players. I think what stops people from coming into the genre are the things that you can't really take out of fighting games: one-on-one, uninterrupted, unforgiving competition. A lot of people just don't like that, and devs need to be okay with that.

THIS. Look just include a "simple mode" like umvc3 or some other recent games have. I'm all for accessibility but cutting assists and 3v3 because people felt overwhelmed seems like a mistake. And yes I've played all the earlier vs games. I'm just waiting to hear it's only going to have 2 attack buttons and supers tied to the rest for maximum accessability. Hopefully they'll hit a good balance between casual and core fans fingers crossed.

Drayco21

Do you think Rich has a chance now? I didn't see that many similarities between him and Carol.

Then again, he'd probably have a lot of changes, too....

Plus they're bringing him back in the comics, so even Marvel is acknowledging they've fucked up by pissing on him the last few years.

I hope he's back, he was the best.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I recall the Xmen/Marvel vs Street Fighter games having 2 on 2, i don't see the issue.

I want to know if infinity stones work just like the Gems in MSH

I also would like them to bring back how launchers worked in MSH to MVC2. I could not get it at all in the third capcom installment at all, it felt like the simplified the combo structure significantly

DrDogg

Quick update from some industry friends (I wasn't able to attend PSX to ask questions personally, sorry):

- The game is early.
- The controls aren't finalized.
- The roster may not be finalized.
- The graphics could still be touched up.
- No Marvel characters are off limits, but some may be limited to story mode and not playable. This doesn't mean Fox characters are in, but it's not 100% out of the question.

Again, nothing first-hand, but that's what I got from multiple people at PSX who spoke with Marvel and Capcom reps during interviews. Hopefully that quells some of the concerns people have. Wait until E3 or Evo for a better look at the game before you assume it's not what Mahvel fans want.

EDIT: Edited for clarity.

Lothars

I really don't get the complaints of the gameplay, I think it looks fine and I have hope it will turn out to be a great game. I think the biggest issue I have is the lack of X-Men, It's honestly a huge mistake to me.

bryt

Quick update from some industry friends (I wasn't able to attend PSX to ask questions personally, sorry):

- The game is SUPER early. So early that they probably shouldn't have shown it off, but they wanted something big for PSX and Capcom Cup.
- The roster is far from finalized.
- The graphics aren't even finalized.
- No Marvel characters are off limits, but some may be limited to story mode and not playable.

Again, nothing first-hand, but that's what I got from multiple people at PSX who spoke with Marvel and Capcom reps during interviews. Hopefully that quells some of the concerns people have. Wait until E3 or Evo for a better look at the game before you assume it's not what Mahvel fans want.

Whoa, how are they gonna release this game in 2017? o_O

JordanN

Banned
No assists and 2v2 is a deal breaker for me. This game is clearly not going to retain the speed and craziness that made its predecessors fun and unique. Im not interested in SFxT with Marvel characters.

I honestly don't know which is a more disappointing change in direction from Capcom, this or RE7.

2v2 is a step down, but I would forgive it if it means bringing back the "duo team attack" system. That should have been a permanent staple of the series. Yet it was only used in the first MvC.

v1shA7g.jpg

Garlador

Plus they're bringing him back in the comics, so even Marvel is acknowledging they've fucked up by pissing on him the last few years.

I hope he's back, he was the best.

Can't be said enough.

Damn, did they do my boy Rich justice. Really do hope Nova pops in and it's Richard. You hear me, Capcom/Marvel? (maybe, maybe not, but worth it if they skim the thread)

And, on an aside, BEYOND happy Richard's back in the comics too. Took them long enough....

MoxManiac

- The game is SUPER early. So early that they probably shouldn't have shown it off, but they wanted something big for PSX and Capcom Cup.
- No Marvel characters are off limits, but some may be limited to story mode and not playable.

Seems weird that it's super early with release only a year a way. I hope they work fast. That said, I thought the gameplay looked fine. I love the older 2v2 games, so the switch doesn't bother me.

TreIII

Yeah. All this.

And I think another on SRK put it very well, too: It's good that they are focused on designing a good game first where everything works, instead of "we need this because MvC2 had it and we need this because MvC2 had it and we need this because..."

How the hell are they going to finish this in one year?

For the looks of it this is going to be released bare bones like SFV....

This is bad.

I-hate-u

Can't be said enough.

Damn, did they do my boy Rich justice. Really do hope Nova pops in and it's Richard. You hear me, Capcom? (maybe, maybe not, but worth it if they skim the thread)

And, on an aside, BEYOND happy Richard's back in the comics too. Took them long enough....

Capcom always do Marvel's IP justice. Literally the only reason why I watched GoTG was because of how awesome RR is in UMVC3.

Did they actually confirm that there are no assists?
Yes. Someone should probably link that GI piece in the OP before this gets asked for the 289354th time.

2v2, assists, blah blah blah. All that matters is that this is the first MvC game with Black fucking Panther.

hype

Neoxon

Music to my ears, though the wording as well as what Polygon & Eurogamer has me second-guessing. Why wasn't Marvel straightforward in the interview?

Kouichi

No, but I'm included to say Eighting based on Ryu's model and the reused animations for Ryu and Iron Man.

Hm, if they really are reusing assets from MvC3 instead of completely building it from the ground up, then this gives me hope that the roster really will be huge.

And it will heighten the chances of my boy Phoenix Wright coming back!

Kaiterra

Banned
Darn, I was hoping 2v2 would mean there'd be a striker mechanic but I guess if there are no assists that's not a thing. Oh well, MvC3 was a really crazy chaotic game IMO so I don't mind scaling it back a bit.

Line_HTX

Man, with the way this game looks as it stands and given all the cuts, I'm not sure if Morrigan should be in this game, lol

I-hate-u

Listen Marvel, I came to bargain. I am not asking for much here. Just give me:

Wolverine
Magneto
Dr. Doom
Sentinel

and I am good.

DrDogg

Whoa, how are they gonna release this game in 2017? o_O

Seems weird that it's super early with release only a year a way. I hope they work fast. That said, I thought the gameplay looked fine. I love the older 2v2 games, so the switch doesn't bother me.

I pressed for more details, but none of my industry friends are big into fighting games. The impression I got was that they're far enough along to be done in a year, but a lot of stuff just isn't finalized yet. Things are still in a state of flux in many ways.

Something like... they have the game up and running internally, but they don't know if it'll 4-buttons (or less) when everything is said and done. That's not an exact quote, so don't take it at face value, but that's the gist of things. Combo system is good to go, but it could still change from 4-button to 6-button or vice-versa.

FinKL

Game far from finalized, but coming out Nov 2017.

2 conflicting statements, yet I'm still excited for anything Marvel at this point.

Wasn't there an exhibition rumored? Or is the ESPN trailer tomorrow the last bit of info we are getting about the game?

Prototype

Also, and I feel like I have some authority over this, the new Iron Man design is pretty damn ugly. Not just talking about something that can be cleaned up because it's so clear that the footage we're looking at is super early and the lighting and textures and stuff still need work. Just a weird balance of red and gold, the vents on the chestpiece look off, and something about the head looks weird too.

I fuck w/the new Proton Cannon, though. Also dope they kept Iron Avenger.
They kept Iron Avenger? I saw the unibeam super but didn't see the part where he flys at them and tackles them.

I agree with you on his armor design. Something about it looks off.

Finally, I'm frankly disappointed that he still has proton cannon and what is likely going to be his same move set. Really hoping they at least add one or two new moves. The same old moves again for the 3rd game in a row. I also love how the trailer shows him using hand blasts but the gameplay is the same-old-same-old that we've seen for years.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still hype for the game, but Iron Man is by far my favorite character in the Marvel Universe and it's lame to constantly seem him get dissed like this.

Neoxon

I pressed for more details, but none of my industry friends are big into fighting games. The impression I got was that they're far enough along to be done in a year, but a lot of stuff just isn't finalized yet. Things are still in a state of flux in many ways.

Something like... they have the game up and running internally, but they don't know if it'll 4-buttons (or less) when everything is said and done. That's not an exact quote, so don't take it at face value, but that's the gist of things. Combo system is good to go, but it could still change from 4-button to 6-button or vice-versa.
Another question, did you get an idea as to how big the roster will be? And while the quote of what Marvel characters can be used does aspire some hope, why wasn't Marvel straight-up when asked a similar question by Game Informer?

Also, the game being "super-early" kinda conflicts with the 2017 release, even if it's Late 2017.

Krixeus

So you're telling me there's a chance?

ITS_MAHVEL_BAYBEE.jpg

Dranakin

And since it sounds like Jennifer Hale is voicing Captain Marvel instead of Brie Larson, can we confirm that MCU actors aren't lending their voices? I never thought that rumor was believable anyway, knowing how much RDJ costs to book.

Top Bottom