• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite announced (PC/XB1/PS4, 2017) [Update: Info In OP]

Drayco21

And since it sounds like Jennifer Hale is voicing Captain Marvel instead of Brie Larson, can we confirm that MCU actors aren't lending their voices? I never thought that rumor was believable anyway, knowing how much RDJ costs to book.

There's zero chances of MCU actors.

Carol sounds more like Grey DeLeslie, and Tony sounds like Eric Loomis.

MoxManiac

They kept Iron Avenger? I saw the unibeam super but didn't see the part where he flys at them and tackles them.

I agree with you on his armor design. Something about it looks off.

Finally, I'm frankly disappointed that he still has proton cannon and what is likely going to be his same move set. Really hoping they at least add one or two new moves. The same old moves again for the 3rd game in a row. I also love how the trailer shows him using hand blasts but the gameplay is the same-old-same-old that we've seen for years.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still hype for the game, but Iron Man is by far my favorite character in the Marvel Universe and it's lame to constantly seem him get dissed like this.

This is Iron Man's fourth game. And his moveset is pretty classic at this point.

Gartooth

Another question, did you get an idea as to how big the roster will be? And while the quote of what Marvel characters can be used does aspire some hope, why wasn't Marvel straight-up when asked a similar question by Game Informer?

The minute rumors started pouring in for this game it seems like the first thing that had to be said was that the X-Men are taking a backseat. I think it would be best for now if we consider this to be at least partially true. So maybe Wolverine is still in the game, but other Fox characters could have gotten cut.

ZeroCDR

THIS. Look just include a "simple mode" like umvc3 or some other recent games have. I'm all for accessibility but cutting assists and 3v3 because people felt overwhelmed seems like a mistake. And yes I've played all the earlier vs games. I'm just waiting to hear it's only going to have 2 attack buttons and supers tied to the rest for maximum accessability. Hopefully they'll hit a good balance between casual and core fans fingers crossed.

Yes, they need to be careful here. I get the need for accessibility, but if they go too far they'll turn off the dedicated player that keeps the game afloat and in the spotlight, and the casual player will still get bodied online and trade it in.

2v2 and no assists seems like overkill when MvC3 (including Ultimate) doubled the success of 2. Was accessibility really a problem?

They kept Iron Avenger? I saw the unibeam super but didn't see the part where he flys at them and tackles them.

I agree with you on his armor design. Something about it looks off.

Finally, I'm frankly disappointed that he still has proton cannon and what is likely going to be his same move set. Really hoping they at least add one or two new moves. The same old moves again for the 3rd game in a row. I also love how the trailer shows him using hand blasts but the gameplay is the same-old-same-old that we've seen for years.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still hype for the game, but Iron Man is by far my favorite character in the Marvel Universe and it's lame to constantly seem him get dissed like this.

He seemed to have some sort of newish repulsor attack right before tagging into Captain Marvel. I personally don't take issue with his current moveset, but it'd be really nice to see Capcom actually redo it from the ground up. He's pretty much played like ghetto Magneto ever since MSH.

DrDogg

Another question, did you get an idea as to how big the roster will be? And while the quote of what Marvel characters can be used does aspire some hope, why wasn't Marvel straight-up when asked a similar question by Game Informer?

Also, the game being "super-early" kinda conflicts with the 2017 release, even if it's Late 2017.

I think they meant "super early" from a journalistic standpoint. They're used to being able to play games after they're newly announced, but they couldn't play Marvel at all. That prompted them to ask why they can't play and I think that's when they got the "it's early" response.

If I'm looking at it from a dev perspective... at least four characters are pretty close to being done (it seems). The combat system is tied down pretty well in terms of Infinity Stones, 2v2, how combos flow, etc. Graphics may get adjusted, but the core is there and looking pretty sound.

It'll probably be playable at E3 if not some fighting game event before that. We know pretty much for sure it'll be playable at Evo. I don't think there's too much to worry about in regards to a late 2017 release, but I do think what was shown today is early enough that people shouldn't be worried about how it "looks".

Hopefully I'll have a chance to ask questions directly before E3, but we'll see. No guarantees there unless Capcom has an event.

So you're telling me there's a chance?

ITS_MAHVEL_BAYBEE.jpg

I'd say so, but nothing confirmed. We could easily see all X-Men characters in story mode but not playable. At the very least I don't think X-Men characters are 100% off the table, but again, all second hand info.

IbukiLordSA

As soon as I saw that gameplay I thought of TvC and got super hyped, I love TvC so much, it's my favorite VS game by far. I am really excited for this and Captain Marvel is such a cool character so really glad they brought her in.Hope she gets her old Ms Marvel costume as well.

Damn it's so nice to be excited for a fighting game again, my son should be old enough by the time this releases to play it with me, he will love the style and characters. Watched the gameplay trailer with him and he goes Dada that looks cool. Amazing, bringing the hype with another VS trailer.

And since it sounds like Jennifer Hale is voicing Captain Marvel instead of Brie Larson, can we confirm that MCU actors aren't lending their voices? I never thought that rumor was believable anyway, knowing how much RDJ costs to book.

Psssh, you kidding me? I imagine all the voice actors for the Marvel side will all be the same from Marvel 3, if not the same voice actors from the latest Marvel comics cartoon. Ain't no way a game like this is getting folks like RDJ or Chris Evans to voice Iron Man and Captain America.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm inclined to agree with them.

Which is fine I guess. They can't remake everything from scratch.

I considered that was good thing since they could port skeletons and animations over so it could save them some times.

Was this posted?

Get a first look at Captain Marvel, X, Ryu, and Iron Man in Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite and tune in tomorrow on ESPN2 for the rebroadcast of Capcom Cup for two additional characters!! #MVCI

AvPl8lu.jpg

When would be that?

FSLink

Banned
He seemed to have some sort of newish repulsor attack right before tagging into Captain Marvel. I personally don't take issue with his current moveset, but it'd be really nice to see Capcom actually redo it from the ground up. He's pretty much played like ghetto Magneto ever since MSH.
I mean if Magneto is gone it might be good to have Iron Man stay mostly the same.

RocBase

i will say that im cautiously optimistic with what i saw. it's obviously not what i was expecting or hoping for, and frankly there are a lot of arguments to be had about the decisions they made but ultimately this could still end up being a fun experience. will wait to see how this unfolds throughout the coming months

Hm, if they really are reusing assets from MvC3 instead of completely building it from the ground up, then this gives me hope that the roster really will be huge.

And it will heighten the chances of my boy Phoenix Wright coming back!

now im even more curious to see how characters who are team dependent like wright will be revamped to fit here (this is assuming any of them even make it back in lol)

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Calling it "early" is like companies calling public "alphas" to what clearly are at the very least betas, because actual alphas are barely videogames.

Dranakin

Psssh, you kidding me? I imagine all the voice actors for the Marvel side will all be the same from Marvel 3, if not the same voice actors from the latest Marvel comics cartoon. Ain't no way a game like this is getting folks like RDJ or Chris Evans to voice Iron Man and Captain America.

Hey, I'm not the one who pushed that original rumor. It was floating around for a long time by multiple people.

Neoxon

The minute rumors started pouring in for this game it seems like the first thing that had to be said was that the X-Men are taking a backseat. I think it would be best for now if we consider this to be at least partially true. So maybe Wolverine is still in the game, but other Fox characters could have gotten cut.
When I asked Eurogamer if they heard about the Fox characters being gone, Tom just responded yes, hence my uncertainty right now. I want to hope, but the odds are kinda stacked against me right now.

I think they meant "super early" from a journalistic standpoint. They're used to being able to play games after they're newly announced, but they couldn't play Marvel at all. That prompted them to ask why they can't play and I think that's when they got the "it's early" response.

If I'm looking at it from a dev perspective... at least four characters are pretty close to being done (it seems). The combat system is tied down pretty well in terms of Infinity Stones, 2v2, how combos flow, etc. Graphics may get adjusted, but the core is there and looking pretty sound.

It'll probably be playable at E3 if not some fighting game event before that. We know pretty much for sure it'll be playable at Evo. I don't think there's too much to worry about in regards to a late 2017 release, but I do think what was shown today is early enough that people shouldn't be worried about how it "looks".

Hopefully I'll have a chance to ask questions directly before E3, but we'll see. No guarantees there unless Capcom has an event.

I'd say so, but nothing confirmed. We could easily see all X-Men characters in story mode but not playable. At the very least I don't think X-Men characters are 100% off the table, but again, all second hand info.
Now you dampened my hopes a bit with that. I guess it may be for the best, mainly so I won't be disappointed if the worst-case scenario happens.

As for the Story, I doubt we'd see any Fox characters in it if they aren't playable.

Prototype

This is Iron Man's fourth game. And his moveset is pretty classic at this point.

Ya nothing should ever change for the sake of tradition.

Exactly. It's a NEW game, what better opportunity to redo and freshen up an old character. and ya, Iron Man has been a shitty Magneto.

DrDogg

When I asked Eurogamer if they heard about the Fox characters being gone, Tom just responded yes, hence my uncertainty right now. I want to hope, but the odds are kinda stacked against me right now.

Now you dampened my hopes a bit with that. I guess it may be for the best, mainly so I won't be disappointed if the worst-case scenario happens.

As for the Story, I doubt we'd see any Fox characters in it if they aren't playable.

Yeah I'm just trying to provide more info, but without actually getting to talk to the reps I don't want to get any hopes up. Hopefully there's some sort of press event sometime between now and E3 so I can ask direct questions.

Clipse

Looking forward to the character reveals over the next year or so. One of the best parts of new fighting game releases.

Neoxon

Yeah I'm just trying to provide more info, but without actually getting to talk to the reps I don't want to get any hopes up. Hopefully there's some sort of press event sometime between now and E3 so I can ask direct questions.
Don't sweat it, second-hand info can be a tricky mistress. You should probably update your original post to make that more clear.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I told myself I wouldn't be like the MVC2 guys who hated on MVC3 just because it wasn't exactly like MVC2.

Then Capcom took out assists.

What's even the point?

DrDogg

Don't sweat it, second-hand info can be a tricky mistress. You should probably update your original post to make that more clear.

Edited to try to make it a bit more clear. I'll also see if anyone has an interview op tomorrow to see if I can toss in some questions and get some clarification.

Garlador

Looking forward to the character reveals over the next year or so. One of the best parts of new fighting game releases.

It's going to be hard to top the last roster, especially if you factor in Ultimate MvC.

While there was perhaps a tad too much Resident Evil and Devil May Cry representation, and an egregious lack of Mega Man proper, it was one of the most solid and at times genuinely shocking and surprising rosters of a fighting game.

Phoenix Wright? Taskmaster? Super Skrull? Tron Bonne? Amaterasu? MODOK?!!

I don't want to get cynical too quickly, but it's going to be really hard to one-up the last game's balance of heavy hitters and stalwart inclusions compared to genuinely left-field shockers.

Neoxon

Edited to try to make it a bit more clear. I'll also see if anyone has an interview op tomorrow to see if I can toss in some questions and get some clarification.
Good call. I look forward to hearing what you find out straight from the horse's mouth (or mouths, in this case).

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Quick update from some industry friends (I wasn't able to attend PSX to ask questions personally, sorry):

- The game is early.
- The controls aren't finalized.
- The roster may not be finalized.
- The graphics could still be touched up.
- No Marvel characters are off limits, but some may be limited to story mode and not playable. This doesn't mean Fox characters are in, but it's not 100% out of the question.

Again, nothing first-hand, but that's what I got from multiple people at PSX who spoke with Marvel and Capcom reps during interviews. Hopefully that quells some of the concerns people have. Wait until E3 or Evo for a better look at the game before you assume it's not what Mahvel fans want.

EDIT: Edited for clarity.

Cable listing says the ESPN2 broadcast starts at 8:30 PM ET.

Thanks for those informations and answers. I really appreciate that!

RocBase

Yes, they need to be careful here. I get the need for accessibility, but if they go too far they'll turn off the dedicated player that keeps the game afloat and in the spotlight, and the casual player will still get bodied online and trade it in.

2v2 and no assists seems like overkill when MvC3 (including Ultimate) doubled the success of 2. Was accessibility really a problem?

this is my biggest question to the claims of accessibility. at what point do they just turn this into a regular 1v1 fighter then?

It's going to be hard to top the last roster, especially if you factor in Ultimate MvC.

While there was perhaps a tad too much Resident Evil and Devil May Cry representation, and an egregious lack of Mega Man proper, it was one of the most solid and at times genuinely shocking and surprising rosters of a fighting game.

Phoenix Wright? Taskmaster? Super Skrull? Tron Bonne? Amaterasu? MODOK?!!

I don't want to get cynical too quickly, but it's going to be really hard to one-up the last game's balance of heavy hitters and stalwart inclusions compared to genuinely left-field shockers.

I remember before Ultimate's roster was leaked I was fresh off playing Demon's Crest and was hoping for Firebrand but I knew such an obscure game would never be in MvC... my mind was blown to bits at the reveal.

Quick update from some industry friends (I wasn't able to attend PSX to ask questions personally, sorry):

- The game is early.
- The controls aren't finalized.
- The roster may not be finalized.
- The graphics could still be touched up.
- No Marvel characters are off limits, but some may be limited to story mode and not playable. This doesn't mean Fox characters are in, but it's not 100% out of the question.

Again, nothing first-hand, but that's what I got from multiple people at PSX who spoke with Marvel and Capcom reps during interviews. Hopefully that quells some of the concerns people have. Wait until E3 or Evo for a better look at the game before you assume it's not what Mahvel fans want.

EDIT: Edited for clarity.

I think there's one character that would be

Ivan 3414

The cost of getting the MCU actors for respective characters would be more than the budget of the entire game

Neoxon

Grey DeLisle is most likely the one who's voicing Captain Marvel (a reprisal from Avengers Assemble). But oddly enough, Eric Loomis is likely the one voicing Iron Man (a reprisal from Avengers: EMH). If they're getting the UMvC3 VAs back, this bodes well for Josh Keaton voicing Spider-Man.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
I read that as Wolvie and Magneto's moveset being copy and pasted onto a new character. That way the "heritage" is not lost, even if the characters are :p

Basically what I got from it. Not gonna try and get my hopes up to think otherwise.

Leon better be making it in to rep RE and make that roided loser Chris step aside.

I want Leon and Ada to take over for Chris and Jill.

Neoxon

Actually, if they are keeping the UMvC3 VAs, this means that Hawkeye may be voiced by Chris Cox if Clint were to be brought back. This may bode well for Nova, since Troy Baker wouldn't need to voice Hawkeye in this game like in the recent cartoons. Same case concerning Chris Redfield & his VA (Roger Craig Smith).

Top Bottom