• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite |OT| Marvel vs. Capcom: 4 Female Characters

Some part of me has me believing Capcom wasn't expecting this game to take off in sells.

Obviously the opposite (Capcom assumed it'd do well simply because it has Marvel on the title) is also likely.

But Capcom saw the outrage after the leaked list and the constant memes. I find it hard to believe they thought the reception would've improved drastically.

I'm just wondering if this game has a legit future or not.

Neonep

I thought it was March 2018.

Shit ain't happening either way.

1 million maybe, holiday sales included. But 2 million is crazy town unless something wild happens.

The thing is I think this game as a whole is better than SFV and SFV is at 1.7 mil at the moment. Still kinda realistic, we'll see.

Neonep

Some part of me has me believing Capcom wasn't expecting this game to take off in sells.

Obviously the opposite (Capcom assumed it'd do well simply because it has Marvel on the title) is also likely.

But Capcom saw the outrage after the leaked list and the constant memes. I find it hard to believe they thought the reception would've improved drastically.

I'm just wondering if this game has a legit future or not.

As someone said earlier Capcom has on blinders until they crash into something.

jett

D-Member
This game's story mode is complete garbage. I can't do this again after SFV. Is there a code that unlocks all the stages?

Dahbomb

Some Marvel Infinite sets.

Angelic (Firebrand/Dormammu/Space) vs Joey D (Zero/Thanos/Reality)

https://youtu.be/zDf51Zl0zV4

Coach Steve (Nova/Spencer/Reality) vs Dual Kevin (Dante/Hawkeye/Reality)

https://youtu.be/BWqyjEqfuk4

RayRay(Gamora/Ultron/Reality) vs Marn (Zero/Dante/Power)

https://youtu.be/pkN0g54FxGI

Anyone have a list of the upcoming national tournaments for Marvel Infinite
Do you need this for something or just asking?

We have Manila Games Week this weekend which is a Stone tournament. Expect some pros to fly out there.

Latin Games Finals is another CPT and Stone event.

Red Bulls Battlegrounds.

Canada CUP and SEA Major. All of these are Stone majors.

Notice the International spread here. They are really pushing MVCI globally this time around.

MechaX

I thought it was March 2018.

Shit ain't happening either way.

1 million maybe, holiday sales included. But 2 million is crazy town unless something wild happens.

Unless NA PS4 saves it, 1 mil is only happening if there are some deep Black Friday and Christmas price cuts (which would be a bad sign as well as it would show that Capcom overshipped like crazy).

I got my first ragequit yesterday, but no hatemail yet. I need to be cheaper.

I beat some poor soul so hard with Ghost Rider (and I'm not even good) that it must have confused them into thinking they were in an alternate dimension where they beat me since they sent a message that said "stay free, boy".

Also, I came across someone with an absolutely revolting PSN name
ToyStory2isOkay
so I I had to teach them a lesson.

I saw HiFight using Strange and Spencer. Was actually pretty sick. I have too many teams I want to try but I think I'll force myself for a month to stick with one like that. [

The thing is I think this game as a whole is better than SFV and SFV is at 1.7 mil at the moment. Still kinda realistic, we'll see.

SFV is still a trash fire outside itself though. Telling people to pick up a game where the online is spotty compared to MvC where the game is a tasty treat besides the ugly shell its encased in is different.

But yeah, Capcom needs to start making adjustments. Low sales, even with other revenue coming in, is going to put their asses in panic mode, and its sad that it has to get this way for it to happen.

Unless NA PS4 saves it, 1 mil is only happening if there are some deep Black Friday and Christmas price cuts (which would be a bad sign as well as it would show that Capcom overshipped like crazy).

Black Friday sales aren't primarily getting rid of excess stock. I mean, it can be, but Altus games and other titles that aren't particularly common (but not rare) get price cuts. NA isn't saving shit either way, so holiday sales are the only way they'll make it to 1 million by the end of March 2018

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
hey remember some days ago I was "crying" about some characters launchers having ridiculous hit boxes? I might be a noob but some things are so obvious...

DKp4MVTV4AAlpy5.jpg

fuck off Dormmamu :/

brian!

Hot take: i dont think mahvel would have sold that much better if it shipped with better graphics and art, or even with some xmen

DD-11

Nope, its all about momentum and this game literally had none. Look at all the other games coming out or already out this year, no one would want to buy this over those unless they're hardcore FGC who would have bought it already.

I dont even see this game selling 1 million with the way Capcom handled the messaging for this.

Infinite is basically a warning sign to the masses that it will be infested with DLC... Which wouldn't be a problem if they had a respectable roster to begin with.

The masses are fine with the roster, they love the MCU. Hell I'm fine with the roster. And I really don't understand the graphics hate it gets either, it looks better then SFV, and few complained about that. There are rough edges for sure, but it's blown way out of proportion. There are too many people who want this to fail in an odd attempt to punish capcom.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
anyone wants to help me try out my Hawkeye / Hulk team on Steam? some sets maybe?

Hot take: i dont think mahvel would have sold that much better if it shipped with better graphics and art, or even with some xmen

I actually agree. This was a failure on the marketing end imo. Presentation and roster I think effect sales less than those closest to the game think.

liquidtmd

Banned

I think if it had a tweaked roster, a few better models on some characters (I actually think the graphics generally are good), a well laid out DLC support model, competitive play and some X-Men (plus a better earlier demo) I don't think particularly it would have exploded week 1, but I think we'd be looking at 1 million by Xmas and 2 million by the end of FY 2017, with good money coming in through DLC and costume support.

Due to the weak first impressions and the coming Onslaught of winter titles, it's in real long term trouble I think without heavy price cuts and that's just gonna piss off the base from MVC3 that did come back post UMVC3

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
The masses are fine with the roster, they love the MCU. Hell I'm fine with the roster. And I really don't understand the graphics hate it gets either, it looks better then SFV, and few complained about that. There are rough edges for sure, but it's blown way out of proportion. There are too many people who want this to fail in an odd attempt to punish capcom.

Casuals arent fine with the roster just because the MCU is there.

I brought MvCI over to a friends house on the weekend. One friend was particularly excited to try it out. Obviously he wasnt aware of the graphics or PR disaster. As soon as we got to the character select screen he stops and goes... Wait thats it? Are there unlockable characters?

Even though he really enjoyed the game itself his disappointment with the roster initially was palpable.

We ended up going out for a smoke break during which everyone talked about how games have gone up to $90 (after tax in Canada) and even thats not enough with season passes and microtransactions to leech more money.

Ive kind of come to accept these things as a huge gaming fan but my more casual friends werent as forgiving of these trends of offering less content while charging more than ever.

Sesha

Improvements in presentation, roster and campaign design would have helped sales, since it would have resulted in less backlash and better reviews. Some of the bad PR was tied to exactly those things, so that would have improved as well.

Improvements in presentation, roster and campaign design would have helped sales, since it would have resulted in less backlash and better reviews. Some of the bad PR was tied to exactly those things, so that would have improved as well.

Yep. Even the IGN (or was it Gamespot?) video review pretty much started the review off by more or less saying "There's no getting around it, this games presentation is bad and it leaves a bad first impression." Plus, every review has complained about the roster. If those 2 things weren't so bad at launch the game would have done better for sure.

Dahbomb

People want games to cost the same price as they always have while looking better and having more content than they ever did.

lol
Yes because that's the standard that has been set by industry. Especially for sequels.

And games don't really cost the same when content is split season passes and DLC.

ZeroCDR

I beat some poor soul so hard with Ghost Rider (and I'm not even good) that it must have confused them into thinking they were in an alternate dimension where they beat me since they sent a message that said "stay free, boy".

Also, I came across someone with an absolutely revolting PSN name
ToyStory2isOkay
so I I had to teach them a lesson.

lmao

REACH FOR THE SKY

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
People want games to cost the same price as they always have while looking better and having more content than they ever did.

lol

Matching MvC3s roster would have been a start.

You might think 6 characters in a season pass for $30 ($40 Canadian) is good value, most people don't.

Sesha

Yep. Even the IGN (or was it Gamespot?) video review pretty much started the review off by more or less saying "There's no getting around it, this games presentation is bad and it leaves a bad first impression." Plus, every review has complained about the roster. If those 2 things weren't so bad at launch the game would have done better for sure.

Not only that, it's easier than ever and common for people to just check Metacritic. They'll see the overall scores, the ratio of positive to negative reviews, and skim review summaries for commonalities. A purchase is decided in seconds.

Not all games with good average scores sell well, but they help, and most million-sellers (at least these days) have good-to-great average scores and good word of mouth.

Neonep

lol

I never expect that, the only expectations I have for any sequel is that they do what they have already shown they can do. That was most certainly not the case with this game.

Some Marvel Infinite sets.

Angelic (Firebrand/Dormammu/Space) vs Joey D (Zero/Thanos/Reality)

https://youtu.be/zDf51Zl0zV4

Coach Steve (Nova/Spencer/Reality) vs Dual Kevin (Dante/Hawkeye/Reality)

https://youtu.be/BWqyjEqfuk4

RayRay(Gamora/Ultron/Reality) vs Marn (Zero/Dante/Power)

https://youtu.be/pkN0g54FxGI

REALLY liking RayRay's Ultron. I like seeing him use the laser into flight which I haven't seen anyone doing really, but it was something I had been working on. Must be Sentinel player thing lol. Just looking for those projectiles to cancel into flight.

Durden77

So I wonder. Obviously people aren't happy with this game's style, but I'm trying to think of what style they could have used instead.

A big part of especially modern fighting game sequels is they need to look sufficiently different from their previous game to seperate themselves from the pack. So for instance, if MvCI would have used the same art style as UMvC3, especially with so many returning characters being based off their UMvC3 version, it's very easy to see than many people would just write the game off as the same game.

So this art style they went with wasn't the right choice, but what was? Obviously Marvel played into it too, but I think this art style could have worked with maybe just some more effort. It looks different, as it should, but not in a good way.

While I don't particularly mind the way the game looks, an ArcSys kind of execution but with a Silver Age/Jack Kirby style probably would've appeased more people.

I think the artstyle just needed a slight injection of a comic book feel. They can keep the grittiness but the lack of cel shading or something else hurts it imo. Even a slight filter would help a ton of chararcters

Top Bottom