• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite |OT| Marvel vs. Capcom: 4 Female Characters

vg260

I think the artstyle just needed a slight injection of a comic book feel. They can keep the grittiness but the lack of cel shading or something else hurts it imo. Even a slight filter would help a ton of chararcters

That's a "comic" filter, though, which they apparently don't want. They already have "movie" filters, which apparently means to blur and discolor everything :/

I don't doubt Capcom's capabilities to create an artstyle with a comicbook influence.

It just...isn't realistic with the Marvel of today. They don't care for cel shading or a comic look in their games. I wouldn't be surprised if that's what we might've ended up with had Marvel just let Capcom dictate the art direction.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: MVCI was the console version of CoC to Marvel.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
why the FUCK cant I connect Hawkeye's d.LK slide to OTG? I cant continue any combos because of that, I dont get it.

Actually pissed off for the first time in this game, and it wasnt a defeat that did it, it was not being able to do the simplest thing. So annoying.

Ryce

Marvel doesn't want comic book filters because they don't consider themselves a comic book company anymore. The comics division is where characters and storylines are incubated for potential mass market translation to film and TV. It's their Minor League Baseball or NXT. Marvel wants their current video games to aesthetically reflect their movies, TV shows, and toys -- the things that actually sell to a wide audience. I don't agree with it, but it's clearly the direction they've been moving in the last five years.

Producer

Some Marvel Infinite sets.

Angelic (Firebrand/Dormammu/Space) vs Joey D (Zero/Thanos/Reality)

https://youtu.be/zDf51Zl0zV4

Coach Steve (Nova/Spencer/Reality) vs Dual Kevin (Dante/Hawkeye/Reality)

https://youtu.be/BWqyjEqfuk4

RayRay(Gamora/Ultron/Reality) vs Marn (Zero/Dante/Power)

https://youtu.be/pkN0g54FxGI

Do you need this for something or just asking?

We have Manila Games Week this weekend which is a Stone tournament. Expect some pros to fly out there.

Latin Games Finals is another CPT and Stone event.

Red Bulls Battlegrounds.

Canada CUP and SEA Major. All of these are Stone majors.

Notice the International spread here. They are really pushing MVCI globally this time around.

some good matches. Rayray is looking crispy with his movement

This is one weak defense.
Not with a basic understanding of inflation and budgeting.
I never expect that, the only expectations I have for any sequel is that they do what they have already shown they can do. That was most certainly not the case with this game.
If you're just talking about art style being different, then I can see where you're coming from. Anything else I'm assuming you mean make everything they did before, but redo the models, textures, rigging, and lighting at a higher level, add new characters and stages with their models, textures, rigging, animations, voices, sound effects, and music also at this new higher level, improve netcode, and add in modes that need to be programmed and tested.

Technology advances but the manpower needed to take advantage of these advances have increased substantially as well. They need more manpower to implement similar features to remain current than in years past *AND* everything is more expensive now than it was even six years ago except for the price of games. That $60 you bought MCV3 for in 2011 would be $66.56 in today's dollars. Street Fighter 4 would be $70. Add to that that fighting games are still a niche product that aren't huge sellers (unlike Netherrealm games) and most of them no longer make their money on the backs of arcade sales (unlike Tekken or Arcsys games) and this is our reality.

Point blank: games are too cheap now for what people expect from them.

JusDoIt

Marvel doesn't want comic book filters because they don't consider themselves a comic book company anymore. The comics division is where characters and storylines are incubated for potential mass market translation to film and TV. It's their Minor League Baseball or NXT. Marvel wants their current video games to aesthetically reflect their movies, TV shows, and toys -- the things that actually sell to a wide audience. I don't agree with it, but it's clearly the direction they've been moving in the last five years.

The truth doesn't always hurt, but this time it really does.

Pompadour

Yeah, I get why they did what they did but giving the game a cinematic aesthetic was such a boring choice and numerous Capcom characters clash heavily with the style.

I wasn't even a huge fan of MvC3's look. The comic book, heavy outlines, and inky black shading made the models look way better but I still wasn't a huge fan of how dark everything was. My ideal MvC game would look more like MvC1: super bright and colorful but with backgrounds that blend well with the characters (so not MvC2).

Trey

It's a stupid decision.

JusDoIt

I wasn't even a huge fan of MvC3's look. The comic book, heavy outlines, and inky black shading made the models look way better but I still wasn't a huge fan of how dark everything was. My ideal MvC game would look more like MvC1: super bright and colorful but with backgrounds that blend well with the characters (so not MvC2).

I didn't enjoy MvC3's look until I saw the PC and PS4 ports. That resolution bump did wonders.

I agree that MvC1 was the aesthetic peak of the series, though.

Sesha

Even with that, big titles sell more than they used to, there's digital distribution where publishers take a bigger cut, and, relatedly, games have longer tail sales than they ever had before (thanks to digital distribution).

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
why are y'all talking about Marvel not wanting comic book looks when like 2-3 of their games have a realistic (only Spider-Man truly does) look and the rest are varying degrees of stylized

why is everything a monolithic top-down conspiracy

Neoxon

why are y'all talking about Marvel not wanting comic book looks when like 2-3 of their games have a realistic (only Spider-Man truly does) look and the rest are varying degrees of stylized

why is everything a monolithic top-down conspiracy
To be fair, Telltale Guardians lacks the classic Telltale cel-shading. The only cartoon-styled game from the recent string of Marvel games are the Lego games (for obvious reasons).

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

If you're just talking about art style being different, then I can see where you're coming from. Anything else I'm assuming you mean make everything they did before, but redo the models, textures, rigging, and lighting at a higher level, add new characters and stages with their models, textures, rigging, animations, voices, sound effects, and music also at this new higher level, improve netcode, and add in modes that need to be programmed and tested.

Technology advances but the manpower needed to take advantage of these advances have increased substantially as well. They need more manpower to implement similar features to remain current than in years past *AND* everything is more expensive now than it was even six years ago except for the price of games. That $60 you bought MCV3 for in 2011 would be $66.56 in today's dollars. Street Fighter 4 would be $70. Add to that that fighting games are still a niche product that aren't huge sellers (unlike Netherrealm games) and most of them no longer make their money on the backs of arcade sales (unlike Tekken or Arcsys games) and this is our reality.

Point blank: games are too cheap now for what people expect from them.

Video games are $80 in Canada ($90 after taxes) when they were $60 at the start of this gen.

Don't tell me we aren't paying enough for video games.

Uhh... most of the character designs from the marvel side are taken from the comics, not the movies. The roster was definitely MCU inspired but the aesthetic of the characters are almost all straight from the comic books.

Ryce

Uhh... most of the character designs from the marvel side are taken from the comics, not the movies. The roster was definitely MCU inspired but the aesthetic of the characters are almost all straight from the comic books.
I'm talking about the art style itself. There's nothing overly "comic book-y" like heavy shading or outlines. Even the word bubble was removed from Spider-Man's taunt.

brian!

Im not familiar with the va in mvc3 but tony stark in this one is def played by a person pretending to be rdj pretending to be iron man

MechaX

Im not familiar with the va in mvc3 but tony stark in this one is def played by a person pretending to be rdj pretending to be iron man

Yeah, the VA for him is definitely trying to be a budget RDJ.

But then you have situations like Gamora who looks weird and off to someone who only watched the movies, but actually looks closer to her comic book counterpart. And Hawkeye looks nothing like he does in the movies.

.., but then again, Groot and Rocket borrow heavily from the movies, and Thanos himself even looks more like he did in the movies..

Video games are $80 in Canada ($90 after taxes) when they were $60 at the start of this gen.

Don't tell me we aren't paying enough for video games.
Not sure if serious but exchange rates. There were times when you got games for less in US dollars than $60, and now you play a few dollars more.

So no, you don't pay enough for games. Sorry.

It's even more obvious when Marvel Studios changed their logo animation from this:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=hvha-7EvwNg

to this:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=tXRJ7ozUJb0

Their comic book roots take a backseat to the new cinematic look. If I didn't know Marvel was a comic book company that new logo animation would not have told me.

JayEH

It's the same guy. I like his voice.

It's even more obvious when Marvel Studios changed their logo animation from this:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=hvha-7EvwNg

to this:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=tXRJ7ozUJb0

Their comic book roots take a backseat to the new cinematic look. If I didn't know Marvel was a comic book company that new logo animation would not have told me.

Was very upset when I first saw this in theaters lol.

Neoxon

MvCI Iron Man is the same as (U)MvC3, Eric Loomis. He's one of the only 3 Marvel VAs from UMvC3 who came back for MvCI (the other two were Brian Bloom & Chris Cox as Cap & Hawkeye respectively).

Negaduck

After I beat story mode can I just delete the movie files if I never play to play story mode again?

Wish I could only install multi-player/training to save space

jett

D-Member
Can I opt out of that like with SFV?

You'll have to go into the game's folders and delete the videos yourself. Not sure which folder has them, but I think this one might be it

\SteamApps\common\MARVEL VS. CAPCOM INFINITE\MVCI\Content\Sound\Movie

Don't blame me if your game ends up being borked though. :p

Even if Marvel didn't want a comic artstyle, there's plenty of other artstyle to opt for that are much more aesthetically pleasing.

Stuff like Spiderman looks great because of mixture of great style and technical know how.

Remember how slick those optimal combos with Chris Redfield were...?

In this game he barely even has combos outside of the basics, at least by the looks of it.

JayEH

For whatever reason I'm having trouble connecting Dante's skydance (or whatever the QCF H.P move is called) now that I'm trying to optimize my Dante BnB a bit. I don't feel like it should be dropping. The way combos work in this game is so strange...

I think hit stun deteriorates the longer the combo goes. Been having the same issue with Dante.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Finished watching SCR. I'm late to it but damn, what a great tournament. Disappointed in the results but ah well, the Haggar/Nemesis team was so fun to watch.

jett

D-Member
Now that I'm playing it myself, I think the game looks perfectly fine. Mostly actually kinda great. Animation quality however is just extremely even. Some of the stuff ported from MvC3 especially looks really dated, like Chun Li's animations, but then there are characters like Doctor Strange that move as smoothly as a SFV character.

I don't really care about the frankly irrelevant issues with close-up faces, imagine if we judged how SFV looked by its story mode.

maxresdefault.jpg

Or gawd forbid Bengus' hideous art

Street-Fighter-V-Story-Mode.jpg

Durden77

Yeah. That's why I think the style we ended up with is such a shame.

Capcom has proven many times they are capable of making fantastic looking and wonderfully stylized fighting games. But with MvCI, I think they were not only given strict limits on style from Marvel, but were also tasked with separating MvCI from MvC3. I the box that Marvel put them in along with the already established MvC3 style forced Capcom into a type of look that they just simply did not know how to capitalize on.

Although Marvel's influence was definitely a factor, I think it was even more complicated than that. Capcom just didn't have the options or the know how to work with what they were given.

JayEH

Yeah. That's why I think the style we ended up with is such a shame.

Capcom has proven many times they are capable of making fantastic looking and wonderfully stylized fighting games. But with MvCI, I think they were not only given strict limits on style from Marvel, but were also tasked with separating MvCI from MvC3. I the box that Marvel put them in along with the already established MvC3 style forced Capcom into a type of look that they just simply did not know how to capitalize on.

Although Marvel's influence was definitely a factor, I think it was even more complicated than that. Capcom just didn't have the options or the know how to work with what they were given.

You can't blame Marvel for ug-li and meth Dante. That's just poor modeling. Capcom just didn't put the time/money in. It's funny though that a character like Arthur looks good compared to some of the other cast.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
maybe it would be a good idea to stop fucking around with trash characters and play some actual good ones >_>

yeah yeah play what you want, play what you like, thats all fine and dandy, until everyone plays Dormammu / Dante / Jedah / Ultron and you're already trash at the game, and you're only making it harder on yourself by trying to use fucking Hawkeye and shit >_>

My Hawkeye experiment didnt go too well :(

What a week. Thor loves blow.

loved your Thor at CEOtaku Keits.

JayEH

maybe it would be a good idea to stop fucking around with trash characters and ply some actual good ones >_>

yeah yeah play what you want, play what you like, thats all fine and dandy, until everyone plays Dormammu / Dnte / Jedah / Ultron and youre already trash at the game, and youre only making it harder on yourself by trying to use fucking Hawkeye and shit >_>

My Hawkeye experiment didnt go too well :(

I feel bad that I play Dante because my fundamentals are suffering because of it. He's a lot of cheap shit I can use to steal games 😬. Need to find someone else really.

Uzumaki Goku

Be that as it may, Marvel Entertainment and Studios are separate and feuding.

jett

D-Member
It is really different. Did you play marvel 3 at all?

Not one second. I've never really played any Versus game much. MvC1 on PS1 and some MvC2 on the Dreamcast, but I never really took to how those games played. I guess I'm now suffering two decades of ignoring an entire sub-genre.

Swmystery

Neo Member
Sweet! I'm in the NA though so I'm curious what the connection speed would look like. We need for the internet to get faster!!

Well, we have been told it's better this time around (compared to Marvel 3, which was atrocious). Guess it'll make for a good stress test?

PSN ID is Swmystery27, by the way. I think I sent you both a PM and a friend request because I'm incompetent like that.

Top Bottom