• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite |OT| Marvel vs. Capcom: 4 Female Characters

It's important to note that while you can't play this game like SFV, it shares similarities with that and other games. Neutral is so, so important, as is minimizing aggression. Of course, SFV is just "don't be in this bad spot and get CC'd" while marvel is "don't get opened up because that's a a free combo".

I'm going to try Spencer and Strange when I get home. Love Strange when I tried him but wasn't able to set anything up because I wasn't used to his moves. Spencer dashing around seems fun. Will probably have a few teams I use to get used to the game. Not in any rush to be the best.

Zissou

Not one second. I've never really played any Versus game much. MvC1 on PS1 and some MvC2 on the Dreamcast, but I never really took to how those games played. I guess I'm now suffering two decades of ignoring an entire sub-genre.

Yeah, it'll be a little rough starting out. I imagine I'd be in a similar boat if I tried something like Tekken having basically zero 3D fighter experience. It's hard to know what don't know, so I'm sure if you put up footage of yourself playing, people would be more than willing to give some tips.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
really struggling the urge to uninstall ( if the game wasnt 55gigs I would have impulse uninstalled ages ago lol). Unfortunately, not even because im salty, just disheartened at the complete lack of progress. If anything im regressing. Even when I win I feel bad, like I just flailed away a random victory out of nowhere, I dont feel like I acomplished anything. The fun that was being had the first 2 days is gone.

Imagine a kid learning math. And on the first day he learns 1 + 1 = 2. The second day he learns 1 + 2 = 3. But then on the third day, he doesnt learn anything, in fact he now thinks 1 + 2 = 4, and the rest of the class is now on multiplications. Thats how I feel lol.

I would say "remind me to stop buying fighting games" but im sure ill be right back at it with DBZF and then the same shit will happen all over again, as usual.

Astral

What do I do against players who super jump switch spam? My brain doesn't register where I need to block fast enough. It's super obnoxious. Super jumping with them helped but I suck at fighting in the air.

Dahbomb

really struggling the urge to uninstall ( if the game wasnt 55gigs I would have impulse uninstalled ages ago lol). Unfortunately, not even because im salty, just disheartened at the complete lack of progress. If anything im regressing. Even when I win I feel bad, like I just flailed away a random victory out of nowhere, I dont feel like I acomplished anything. The fun that was being had the first 2 days is gone.

Imagine a kid learning math. And on the first day he learns 1 + 1 = 2. The second day he learns 1 + 2 = 3. But then on the third day, he doesnt learn anything, in fact he now thinks 1 + 2 = 4, and the rest of the class is now on multiplications. Thats how I feel lol.

I would say "remind me to stop buying fighting games" but im sure ill be right back at it with DBZF and then the same shit will happen all over again, as usual.
This isn't supposed to be released yet because it has no proof check and there are still more topics to cover, links to add and headings to make... but you might be able to find some help from here.

MVCI Beginner's Guide

What do I do against players who super jump switch spam? My brain doesn't register where I need to block fast enough. It's super obnoxious. Super jumping with them helped but I suck at fighting in the air.
You have to be able to fight airborne as well in this game. You meet them in the air, if they tag, then you react to their tag and tag as well. Your tag can beat their tag if they pressed something after.

Skilletor

Post up some matches so people can see what you're doing.

Oh no the movie division changed their logo to reflect the legacy of movies they have created.
I mean yeah, but it's pretty clear comics aren't super important anymore for Marvel movies and TV now that they've built a universe that can support itself without referencing the source material.

Dartastic

You really gotta play through this stuff and also not allow yourself to get too deep into advanced tech and stuff like that. Focus on simple, repeatable strategies and get those down. Try and learn what you're doing correctly, and what you're doing incorrectly. Blocking is huge. Hell, maybe your team just doesn't fit your playstyle. Try something else.

The game has been out for only a week. Some people have years of experience with these games under their belts, so of course they're going to improve faster. If you give up now, of course you're going to repeat the same process, because you won't have actually put in enough time to get better. You have to keep struggling. Sure, it'll suck for now, but slowly you'll get better, and while you may not be winning, you won't be getting blown out of the water because you'll have gained the ability to recognize patterns. Then you'll be winning a few matches. Then you'll be winning more than a few matches. Then you'll rank up, and be back to losing more. That's the cycle, and you gotta put in the work to improve.

I mean, hell, I'm not really good at these games, but I'm decent, and I've been playing for years. You gotta keep at it.

I wouldn't give up. There's always something you can take away from each loss. It might sound stupid, I try to win but I don't play only to win in sets of games against people. There is always something I can take from a set, what I didn't do or what I keep doing that I shouldn't. Even Lord Aris says this when he was trying to teach people Tekken, and his chat is literally a bunch of stoners.

Also doing the Hyper hop in this game is tough, the timing is much more strict than KOF. It's suppose to be Down Up Down, that's how I do it in KOF, but it only comes out like 2/5 times when I do it with Strider. It's important to his game play because he needs an overhead mixup, especially for one of my teams I run Strange to support him.

Negaduck

Key point to remember. Incoming character will always come from the opposite side the point character was facing.

Jedah is p1, jumps and air dashes towards the right side of the screen. As long as you are dashing he continues to face the right side of the screen even after passing above the opponent. If jedah presses tag, the incoming character will ALWAYS come from the left in this instance since that was the opposite side they were facing.

As long as you keep an eye on the direction the enemy character is facing, you can also know where the tag is coming from and defend accordingly, especially when someone does a sort of cross over tag.

Keep in mind, in the above scenario, when jedah stops dashing and his model then turns to face the opponent (jedah looking towards the left side of the screen), the tagged character will then come from the right side since he turned around.

Also don't give up hope. It's week one. A lot of us have been playing versus games for years. We all started somewhere, just keep it up and I'm sure people here are more than willing to help out. Stay golden ponyboy.

AlexIIDX

Noob trying to learn Captain America. Does he not have an aerial super that I can use after a magic series? Trying to figure out how to use his supers after picking a character up for a second air combo. After the second spike I can't connect anything.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
things I dont do:

-I dont dash
-I dont OTG most times unless its in a corner because I dont dash
-I dont pushblock
-I dont reality stone -> tag -> reality stone
-I wont stop up backing so I keep getting opened up
-I dont block teleports
-I dont know how to open people up
-I dont convert the hits I DO hit into combos
-I dont use the combos I "learned" in training
-I cant even do a magic series sometimes without dropping it now (lol)
-I dont play good characters (well that one is on me lol)

and thats with 41 hours with the game after 1 week, according to steam. If that's not hopeless I dont know what is tbh.

If you know what you are doing wrong hit the training room and practice fam
Additional you need to stop taking matches like it's about winning and start learning

brian!

Also remember that they see the same thing on the screen as you; you might be able to pop the incoming person with a low or instant overhead since a lot of ppl press buttons coming in. But at some point you will get muscle memory for it, there's a lot of stuff in this game you just need to build reactions for

Negaduck

things I dont do:

-I dont dash
-I dont pushblock
-I dont block teleports

and thats with 41 hours with the game after 1 week, according to steam. If that's not hopeless I dont know what is tbh.

This is all things that come with time. If you are new you gotta build those nueral pathways homie. Then all those things will come with time.

You want to run before you've tried to crawl or walk.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I mean yeah, but it's pretty clear comics aren't super important anymore for Marvel movies and TV. It makes sense when the MCU is way more popular than the comics.
My point is it makes sense to have that reflect the most relevant body of work now that they've accrued one than just an ode to the source material (which is nice and I'd prefer) vs. some weird erasure narrative. And that's before you consider the obvious fact that Marvel Studios dwarfs Marvel Comics in size, cultural impact/awareness and general care. Doesn't help that Marvel comics haven't been in their best shape for quite a while now, and the former comics-to-movies influence is more bidirectional than ever.

Dartastic

things I dont do:

-I dont dash

-I dont pushblock
-I dont block teleports

You're focusing on too much. Focus on the bolded. If you don't pushblock you're going to get rushed down to oblivion. Just pushblock everything at the beginning. Seriously. Also, don't focus on super long combos. Focus on the magic series and get that down, because if you can't hit that there's no way you'll be able to hit longer combos. As far as dashing is concerned, it's important, but there's a lot of movement options in the game. Focus on moving forward in general, not just "dashing" per say. If your character has movement options that aren't a "dash" (like Captain Marvel's C.HK or her LK+HK) use them! Dashing is far from the most important movement type in this game.

Who are your characters currently?

Dahbomb

things I dont do:

-I dont dash
-I dont pushblock
-I dont block teleports

41 hours is nothing.

My advice is to start improving on one of those things at a time. I think Dashing and push blocking is the highest priority out of those. You should be practicing that in the training mode instead of some weird combo that you can't do consistently yet.

things I dont do:

Actually it's good you didn't do this one and maybe is a habit that will be detrimental later, because Dr. Strange actually can blast straight through them with his bolts and the eye of agamotto. I remember you beat characters that I played a few days ago pretty handily because of that orb (I'm never gonna make Ryu work). I actually decided to try Strange against your team because whenever I play rushdown characters without a decent partner who can support and clear those reality orbs, I get bopped pretty bad (Firebrand and Haggar aren't fun to play when reality stone is one the screen. Firebrand's hurricane is only on the ground and his fireball that goes through them has slow startup.) In other words, I saw a pretty big weakness of mine in an early set of ours and actually decided to lab up something.

brian!

things I dont do:

-I dont dash
-I dont pushblock
-I dont block teleports

The hardest and most valuable thing to do in fighting games is not autopiloting. Cant really overstate it. You have a nice list of important things to work on, a lot of it is trainable in training room but it's much more valuable to make a concrete effort to translate it to real games, which is a lot easier said than done.

Like dabomba said, advance guard is pretty important. Try just busting it out while blocking a beam super, i think itll get your fingers twitchy and give you more muscle memory. Ppl recommend using lk/lp for it but you shoild use what feels intuitive for you.

Skilletor

things I dont do:

-I dont dash
-I dont pushblock
-I dont block teleports

Like...you realize this takes time? You're frustrated because you're not seeing progress, but this shit is a process that will take weeks, months, and years. If you're not having fun with the learning process, then, yeah, you should probably stop playing. But what I'd recommend is taking a step back and thinking about why you want to play fighting games, and then looking at opportunities to addreess your deficiencies...if getting better is your goal.

The way you're posting, it doesn't read like your goal is getting better; it reads like your goal is to win. Those are two very different things.

"and thats with 41 hours with the game after 1 week, according to steam. If that's not hopeless I dont know what is tbh."

You need to understand that fighting games have a vastly larger time investment required before you're good. 41 hours would make you a master in many kinds of games. 41 hours is fucking *nothing* in a fighting game. Do not expect wins. Do not expect clean play from yourself. Break things down and try to improve on one aspect of the game at a time and derive pleasure from seeing how you've improved in that aspect after weeks and months.

things I dont do:

-I dont dash
-I dont pushblock
-I dont block teleports

I have about 1000 hours in UMvC3. Getting good at a fighting game is a long journey. But once you become an expert in one of them, you kind of start at "intermediate" for the rest of your life. :)

You just have to give it a lot of time, and use an effective newbie learning style:
1) Watch pro play.
2) Play matches.
3) Spend time in training mode.

Cycle these to keep yourself fresh. Upload videos for people to give feedback on. Pick SMALL things to grow in. I will spend an entire set trying to land one combo. I will intentionally make suboptimal decisions if they give me a better chance of landing that combo in a real match. In UMvC3, it's easy for me to get sloppy with Dormammu because assists cover me. So I have a WHOLE TEAM that is built around the idea of Dormammu on point without any assists, and it pushes me to play him on a new level. Sometimes I just practice grabbing people. Sometimes I spend more time than I should flying and air dashing around. You pick things you want to practice and get better at them.

If your expectation is to just "be good", then you are going to be frustrated. I strongly recommend NOT playing with randoms online, because the depersonalization means your only sense of satisfaction is personal growth. Playing with friends/GAF means you get the secondary source of enjoyment, which is community and belonging. Playing with randoms online is a Spike activity IMO.

Hell, you have me wanting to buy the game just so I can keep you on track!

FinKL

Oh man, did you play X-men vs Street Fighter in the arcade? It came out 1996. If you didn't know how to push block you get killed by Apocalypse (he had a drill that would do a hundred hits, and if you dont push block you'd be chipped to death) That's how I learned to pushblock.

For practice, set a CPU dummy to instant air dash on you with a heavy attack. Are you on Steam? Maybe I could just do online training with you so you can get the hang of it. Don't give up, I agree it's all a lot to take in, but a lot of us have learned these skills through the lots of hours of play.

Skilletor

I have about 1000 hours in UMvC3. Getting good at a fighting game is a long journey. But once you become an expert in one of them, you kind of start at "intermediate" for the rest of your life. :)

You just have to give it a lot of time, and use an effective newbie learning style:
1) Watch pro play.
2) Play matches.
3) Spend time in training mode.

Cycle these to keep yourself fresh. Upload videos for people to give feedback on. Pick SMALL things to grow in. I will spend an entire set trying to land one combo. I will intentionally make suboptimal decisions if they give me a better chance of landing that combo in a real match. In UMvC3, it's easy for me to get sloppy with Dormammu because assists cover me. So I have a WHOLE TEAM that is built around the idea of Dormammu on point without any assists, and it pushes me to play him on a new level. Sometimes I just practice grabbing people. Sometimes I spend more time than I should flying and air dashing around. You pick things you want to practice and get better at them.

If your expectation is to just "be good", then you are going to be frustrated. I strongly recommend NOT playing with randoms online, because the depersonalization means your only sense of satisfaction is personal growth. Playing with friends/GAF means you get the secondary source of enjoyment, which is community and belonging. Playing with randoms online is a Spike activity IMO.

Hell, you have me wanting to buy the game just so I can keep you on track!

I spent an entire night trying to upper through Raven pinwheels just to get the timing down. Karst was like wtf are you doing.

Just let me be me, dawg.

Astral

things I dont do:

-I dont dash
-I dont pushblock
-I dont block teleports

Curious, is this your first fighting or at least the first time you're putting a lot of time in a fighting game? I feel like even for veterans, 41 hours isn't very much. It's maybe enough to get comfortable with the game and their characters and learn a few things. For a beginner though, 41 hours is like the equivalent of your first 2 hours of an RPG or something. It's just nothing. So really, you're not as bad as you think you are. And this is Marvel. This series is unlike any fighter imo. I'm average at best in any fighter, but I've always been below that in Marvel. The sheer speed of it and the amount of shit going on makes it a completely different beast from, say, SF or even ASW games. It's not an easy game imo.

Rhaknar

I don't care if I win or lose, I care about playing the game properly which I'm not doing no matter how much I want or try to. If I cared about winning, I wouldn't feel bad about the games I do win. I feel bad if I win or lose (not that it matters but I actually have more wins than losses). I've had a lot of long sets with gaffers and it's not like I get blown up, but I never feel I learned anything, in the wins or losses, since I clearly don't change anything.

The closest analogy I can give especially since bomb and kars play it, is HotS.

I don't claim to be good at HotS, I'm decent at the very best, but I understand it. I evolve, I change things I did wrong.

Imagine that Raynor that spent the whole game laning and nothing else. At the end of the game you go "hey Raynor, next game when we ping you go to the ping to help us ok?" and he goes "gotcha!".

But then the next game comes and he goes back to laning the whole game. That's my relationship with my brain playing Marvel.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Win or lose, I enjoy every match.

Abusing Nemesis hyper armor on unsuspecting noobs is so much fun. Bring Dormammu out at the end, pop Reality Storm abd go trigger happy with spells and projectiles.

Anyone who can combo a magic series into a hyper combo consistently will beat me. If you have tag combos, you will beat me. Got a 4 win streak going in ranked and was feeling myself until a Thanos put some fear into me.

I also don't rematch people unless it was really close.

Durden77

I still haven't gotten an answer to this...

What's the point of Dante's bold move now? Just another way to get him into the air?

Dahbomb

It's impossible to be playing this game properly at 41 hours. Hell most pros are not playing this game properly yet.

Just work on one aspect of the game at a time and commit the stuff to muscle memory. Use the training mode to your advantage, it has a lot of tools for you to explore. When you get it down in training mode (that one aspect), move to AI then get it consistent there... THEN move on to human players.

Just read my guide man (probably skip the character stuff but it's still a decent enough read).

What's the point of Dante's bold move now? Just another way to get him into the air?
Cancel moves on whiff. Like you are trying to anti air someone with your launcher, you miss then you immediately bold cancel jump to safety. It's an option select too because if it hits you still get the combo off of the launch.

41 hours definitely isn't enough to get good at the game, especially if its your first fighter that you're taking seriously.

The first few weeks you should be just getting your bearings on the game mechanics. Then I would spend a good amount of time trying to emulate basic pro player set ups and eventually it will click.

I spent an entire night trying to upper through Raven pinwheels just to get the timing down. Karst was like wtf are you doing.

Just let me be me, dawg.
rofl I remember that.

Then I remember getting DP'd even when I was trying to bait the DP because wtf @ Leo's DP range.

But these days I actually have a safejump follow-up. =D

Who are you liking in MvCi?

I don't care if I win or lose, I care about playing the game properly which I'm not doing no matter how much I want or try to. If I cared about winning, I wouldn't feel bad about the games I do win. I feel bad if I win or lose (not that it matters but I actually have more wins than losses). I've had a lot of long sets with gaffers and it's not like I get blown up, but I never feel I learned anything, in the wins or losses, since I clearly don't change anything.
Self-improvement means actively planning toward a goal. If you think you can just "play and get better", then nothing is going to happen. Like Skilletor said, he literally spent an entire evening against me trying to DP my oki setup in Guilty Gear. Imagine spending hours just trying to figure out the timing for one specific situation. Now imagine playing against the pressure monster characters Skilletor always uses
(but at least it's not Johnny)
, and trying to figure out where the punishable gaps are in the strings he uses, which means you spend H O U R S in a knockdown state because apparently there aren't any goddamn gaps. That's a frustrating experience, but that's the only way you come to know that blocking for 5 seconds is how you get to play again.

I mean, back in UMvC3 I went into training mode and tested Purification x Stalking Flare against every single character in the game. And by that, I mean the entire moveset for every single character in the game. Because otherwise I don't know when I can Stalking Flare and when I can't. And you know what? I know more than most people about how their own character can potentially punish Stalking Flare. No one surprises me. I have full control.

In a lot of ways, getting good at fighting games is like a really long and arduous series of science experiments.

Astral

I spend hours upon hours practicing combos on training mode. Then as I'm practicing a combo I discover another potential combo and spend hours trying to figure out if it even works. That helps but I still need to learn how to apply them in an actual match. So against my cousin, I spent several sets just trying to land one specific combo until I was comfortable doing it outside of the lab. Outside of the lab it's like I get amnesia. Since you said you're dropping your combos you learned in training mode during actual matches, try playing a match with your focus being that one single combo. While practicing that you'll also be practicing the more simple stuff like push blocks and dashes. Once you're comfortable, you move on.

EDIT: I have fight request on as I do homework and it's been 30 minutes since my last match. What the hell is up with the matchmaking in this game?

EDIT: I have fight request on as I do homework and it's been 30 minutes since my last match. What the hell is up with the matchmaking in this game?

Try to exit out and back in the request, steam had maintenance so it might have done something funky to your matchmaking. I was kicked out of a match mid game.

Top Bottom