• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite |OT| Marvel vs. Capcom: 4 Female Characters

Trace

Banned
Well I think of it this way.

Umvc3. One touch and you're dead.

Spiderman infinite. One touch and you're dead.

If you get hit by the infinite you fucked up. Same thing as getting hit by zero trilogy or other teams in 3 imo.

Just don't get hit.

I didn't like UMVC3's gratuitous ToD combos either. It's no fun not being able to actually play.

FSLink

Banned
As someone who has no real issue with lightning loops, TAC infinites, etc this Spidey infinite is real stupid. I can get it like half the time and I practiced it for like 10 minutes.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
the problem with the Spidey infinite is that its... a infinite. It should be like that Strider bomb / blade loop

brian!

A lot of the learning i have for this game pretty much boils down to "o shit i got hit by that; how do i not get hit by that"

Dahbomb

The Spider Man infinite is like ... about as busted as the Firebrand unblockable only it's easier to execute and set up. It also doesn't require you to sacrifice your entire team synergy, you just pick whatever best character with Spider Man.

Like anyone who is in favor of keeping the Spider infinite in tournament play actually has not seriously thought this through.

There has rarely been an infinite in these games that I personally have said "yeah that should be banned." I didn't think the TAC infinites should have been banned and it's debatable whether the game would've been better off if the community did (there was certainly a crossroad where a decision had to be made and it was decided that it shouldn't be banned). Right now there isn't anything worth banning in the game that I have seen (there is probably some weird crash bugs or shit like Thanos handcuff bug) but the Spider Man infinite is 100% ban worthy.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
The Spider Man infinite is like ... about as busted as the Firebrand unblockable only it's easier to execute and set up. It also doesn't require you to sacrifice your entire team synergy, you just pick whatever best character with Spider Man.

Like anyone who is in favor of keeping the Spider infinite in tournament play actually has not seriously thought this through.
and it's stale, slow and not hype to see happen. Getting fucked by firebrand sucks but at least its over with quickly and crazy shit is going on

FSLink

Banned

Yup. People also aren't using any sort of critical thinking when they are like hurr durr we didn't ban TAC infinites in UMvC3. It's not the same game, meta, circumstances, etc.

Producer

If you get hit by the infinite you fucked up. Same thing as getting hit by zero trilogy or other teams in 3 imo.

Just don't get hit.

Wanna know the secret to living a long life? Dont die

Keits

Developer
3rd Strike Chun was also stale, slow, and pretty easy.

These are not valid reasons to make a ban IMO.

My argument has always been that if the game requires the players to make outside rules to "fix" it, we should probably go play a better game.

I think we should let it rock so Capcom has a reason to fix it quickly.

Dahbomb

The only valid reason why this shouldn't be banned is what ShadyK said in that allowing it in tournaments puts more pressure on the developers to actually fix it.

My argument has always been that if the game requires the players to make outside rules to "fix" it, we should probably go play a better game.
So Smash games are terrible then.

Ayy!!!!! Got official confirmation from a fighting game developer now.

Negaduck

But how is it different?

There are set ups for the spiderman infinite. You get hit until your character dies. You can't burst. Good luck on the 4 layers of zero mix up on incoming.

You get set up with spider man infinite. You get hit until your character dies and can't escape.

At least in this game you can adjust where the character enters on the screen on incoming.

It's not that different. Just a different game.

I'm not saying I'm glad its in, I'm not saying it's fun to fight against. But it's not that different from things players fought against and let rock in 3.

nded

Spidey infinite is easy to do and not hype to watch, so it already fails the MvC sniff test. Ban it and get to work on that 7GB hotfix.

Skilletor

But how is it different?

There are set ups for the spiderman infinite. You get hit until your character dies. You can't burst. Good luck on the 4 layers of zero mix up on incoming.

You get set up with spider man infinite. You get hit until your character dies and can't escape.

At least in this game you can adjust where the character enters on the screen on incoming.

It's not that different. Just a different game.

I'm not saying I'm glad its in, I'm not saying it's fun to fight against. But it's not that different from things players fought against and let rock in 3.

Well...the point is that both of those things are stupid.

Negaduck

I also very much know my view on fighting games and dealing with broken or not fun things happens. But whatever just deal with it.

I also enjoy games like hnk and other stuff where I've dealt with infinites times and times again.

It's whatever. You just deal with it, don't get hit or learn to evade it. Just play better. It's easier said than done but that's just what you gotta do. Learn to adapt imo.

Skilletor

I also very much know my view on fighting games and dealing with broken or not fun things happens. But whatever just deal with it.

I also enjoy games like hnk and other stuff where I've dealt with infinites times and times again.

It's whatever. You just deal with it, don't get hit or learn to evade it. Just play better. It's easier said than done but that's just what you gotta do. Learn to adapt imo.

Yeah, just don't get hit. In Marvel.

Super easy.

Dahbomb

This is not the same thing as Zero looping you. Come on now. You can't be this dense.

Let me give you a clear example:

Zero looping you is not far ahead of the curve in the game. Most teams in MVC3 can TOD you and kill you in 3 hits. That's probably the standard in the game over the time only multiple teams can do it. You make 3 guesses you die. So the Spider Man infinite in Marvel 3 would be whatever... yeah it would be lame but it doesn't fundamentally alter the meta. Same for the TAC infinites... in fact TAC infinites were actually a worse thing to do than Zero loops because Zero loops requires less hits.

In MVCI... the game is shaping up more to be a 4-6 hits. We have something in the game that finishes the game on two hits. Why wouldn't everyone play this from now on? This is far above the power curve of what is expected when you get hit in the game. It ignores a ton of mechanics in the game. This is the most effective tactic available in the game right now, it's too good not to use.

This is like several tiers of power level above getting Zero loops. Like if all you do is land ONE of these in a game and kill one character.. it's still way more powerful than Zero loops. Again this is relative to the games... a true TOD (that can't be broken out of) is far more busted in MVCI than it is in MVC3.

Negaduck

Lol, I never said it was good, but where was the outcry to ban or hot fix zero lightning loops which lead to mad meter and death from one touch / blocking 4+ layers of Mixups?

Maybe there was outcry I missed. But again, spiderman infinite isn't any different than getting hit by zero lightning loops, storm inf on sent in 2, red venom or any other infinites in mvc1, Hnk wall streets etc.

You get hit. You lose. It sucks but we've gotten through and past worse.

How is it not different? Because it's easier? You get hit. You die. The exact scenario happens. You get locked down by Mixups (ultron start switch to spiderman).

Zero or any hidden missles/ any other assists sets up a zero pizza cutter, he travels you corner to corner. Zero loops and you die. And in 3, it means incomming is locked into Hella layers and that character might escape if you are lucky and God forbid zero didn't get a happy b day.

In mvci if spiderman kills character you can changer the height your character enters.

It's the exact same scenario and outcome when you look at it reductivly.

I really hope we don't get a balance patch for a while. I want to see players learn how to fight the more powerful stones/teams.

There is still so much about this game we don't know and I'd hate to lose that ability to adapt because of a patch.

I'm a crazy person but personally don't want a patch till Evo (minus a hot fix to really fix broken shit. Don't actually know how I feel about the spiderman shit).
Well at least you said it.

Skilletor

Lol, I never said it was good, but where was the outcry to ban or hot fix zero lightning loops which lead to mad meter and death from one touch / blocking 4+ layers of Mixups?

Maybe there was outcry I missed. But again, spiderman infinite isn't any different than getting hit by zero lightning loops, storm inf on sent in 2, red venom or any other infinites in mvc1, Hnk wall streets etc.

People have been bitching about Zero for years, man.

FYI: This is broken shit, lmao.

Keits

Developer

Even with the ability to counter switch, this is becoming a 'get hit once and probably lose' game already. Vortex with near-unblockable and/or totally invisible mixups that loop into themselves and apply on reaction to counter switch is basically already here, just not widespread yet.

Grakl

This is a 2v2 game where everyone will have Spiderman on their team. That's the most boring shit in the world. You only can choose one character at that point. This ain't zero loops lmao

Dahbomb

Because this is not close to being the same power level as the Zero loops. Stop trying to bring that up as some sort of good example, it's not

Negaduck

Lol, and I know a lot of people don't agree with my views. Hence why I said that at the start.

I dunno, to me the two are the same thing and things fighting game players have dealt with. I'm cool if it rocks. I'm cool if they hot fix.

To me it just looks like another fighting game thing to deal with lol. Nothing we haven't seen before.

I mean it could be a spiral chip infinite. I'd say that's more frustrating to fight than just being hit by a spiderman infinite personally.

HardRojo

What if Capcom decides not to even do any balance tweaks until all of Season 1's DLC is out? They did something similar with SFV, correct? Could be awhile till Chris Redfield stops being booty...

Fuck it, Chris is never gonna get the buffs he needs.
Chris is already buffed enough, haven't you seen those arms?

Negaduck

But yo, different ideas and opinions on things in life is awesome, that's how we see things differently or can come up with different strategies and everything.

I appreciate that there are people who don't agree with the way I see the stuff in fighting games, I mean of course this is all just my personal view and experience with things. :tup:

Agreed. The infinite shouldn't be banned or else Capcom wont do a thing about it or be real slow to actually fix it. A player needs to bust this out during one of their Stones tourney especially in Top 8.

sinkfla87

But yo, different ideas and opinions on things in life is awesome, that's how we see things differently or can come up with different strategies and everything.

I appreciate that there are people who don't agree with the way I see the stuff in fighting games, I mean of course this is all just my personal view and experience with things. :tup:

As much as I strongly disagree with you about the infinite, I'll give you props for being honest and rolling with your opinion despite it being universally panned haha.

But yeah, this and zero are by no means anywhere near the same thing. This actually reminds me of Kazuya's infinite early on in the lifespan of SFxT.

jett

D-Member

Just don't get hit.

guess-ill-just-die.jpg

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
imo it shouldn't be banned if only to hurry up capcom patching it

everyone playing web ball/reality like it's spartacus

warp_

Banned
Exactly that. Keep the infinite unbanned. Either it'll get used to win the next few events and will get patched or it'll be a flop and barely a memory in a year.

FSLink

Banned

I agree with letting it rock so Capcom fixes it, but I do think it would have to be banned if Capcom doesn't fix it in a timely fashion.

If say SFV had a character that was meta centralizing I would definitely want the community to consider banning that character or ditch the game. In this case, the Spidey infinite would likely lead to every top team using Spidey.

I don't think a game like MvC1 would be played much nowadays. Viewership and player base would drop.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
I agree with letting it rock so Capcom fixes it, but I do think it would have to be banned if Capcom doesn't fix it in a timely fashion.

in a hypothetical scenario where capcom doesnt patch it the game as a whole should go the way of SFxT tbh. just as tedious as basketball infinites without the comedy of exaggerated bounce loops.

warp_

Banned
If Capcom wants to be eSports, then they have to support their game. If they won't support their game, then why should anyone else?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
If Capcom wants to be eSports, then they have to support their game. If they won't support their game, then why should anyone else?

why would they support a game nobody bought is the million dollar question.

FSLink

Banned
why would they support a game nobody bought is the million dollar question.
Guess we'll find out! In the mean time....

Web Ball ( っ'-')╮=͟͟͞ ⚪️

Reality Stone ( っ'-')╮=͟͟͞ 🔴

Neoxon

I did some of my own tallying for the MvCI DLC poll (I had to look through each post to weed out quotes or honorable mentions). Here's what I was able to get so far...
  • Asura: 96 votes
  • Ms. Marvel: 73 votes
  • Phoenix Wright: 62 votes
  • Psylocke: 52 votes
  • Regina: 43 votes
  • Loki: 35 votes
  • Scarlet Witch: 31 votes
  • Green Goblin: 26 votes
  • Rogue (X-Men): 25 votes
  • Rashid: 22 votes
  • Masamune: 17 votes
  • Rouge (Power Stone): 15 votes
  • Star-Lord: 14 votes
  • Franziska von Karma: 8 votes
  • Magik: 8 votes
  • Simon Blackquill: 1 vote
  • Laura Matsuda: 1 vote

sinkfla87

I did some of my own tallying for the MvCI DLC poll (I had to look through each post to weed out quotes or honorable mentions). Here's what I was able to get so far...
  • Asura: 96 votes
  • Ms. Marvel: 73 votes
  • Phoenix Wright: 62 votes
  • Psylocke: 52 votes
  • Regina: 43 votes
  • Loki: 35 votes
  • Scarlet Witch: 31 votes
  • Green Goblin: 26 votes
  • Rogue (X-Men): 25 votes
  • Rashid: 22 votes
  • Masamune: 17 votes
  • Rouge (Power Stone): 15 votes