• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite |OT| Marvel vs. Capcom: 4 Female Characters

FluxWaveZ

Thanks, but I don't even know what "HSD" is (my guess is "Hit Stun Deterioration"?). I try searching on YouTube and it's a bunch of videos of how to do "it" with a particular team or setup, but not an explanation of what I'm looking at.

I suppose I'll take another look and try to decipher it myself. From what I can tell, it's basically a universal infinite achieved by repeating button sequences when certain conditions are met.

Zissou

Thanks, but I don't even know what "HSD" is (my guess is "Hit Stun Deterioration"?). I try searching on YouTube and it's a bunch of videos of how to do "it" with a particular team or setup, but not an explanation of what I'm looking at.

I suppose I'll take another look and try to decipher it myself. From what I can tell, it's basically a universal infinite achieved by repeating button sequences when certain conditions are met.

You are correct that HSD means hit stun deterioration. One mechanic baked into the engine of many fighting games, including MvC:i is that the longer a combo goes, the shorter the hit stun a move can put you in. This is to prevent infinites, as once the hit stun deteriorates far enough, the combo cannot possibly continue because with so little hit stun, it's impossible to combo moves together any longer.

In Marvel 3, hit stun deterioration was timer-based, i.e., there was an internal clock that started ticking when a combo began and the longer it went, the shorter hit stun became until it bottomed out and moves did whatever their minimum hit stun value was (of course, there were still very long combos in marvel 3 because many moves still combo'd even at their minimum hit stun values, allowing things like Vergil's spiral sword loops). Apparently in MvC:I, the way it works is that hit stun deteriorates based on the amount of damage in the combo thus far. It seems like once a combo gets to around five or six thousand damage, it's nearly impossible to keep the combo going with exception of tacking on supers to the end. This is why most players think that optimizing combos past a certain point is almost irrelevant, as the hit stun deterioration means any decent combo is going to end up doing the same damage.

The glitch is if certain conditions are met, hit stun deterioration is set back to some lower value and is frozen there, allowing much longer combos and even infinites. If the tweet I linked is correct, the conditions for triggering the glitch are you must cross the 7,300 damage threshold while performing an OTG into a super. As long as after that you keep the opposing character in hit stun, the hit stun deterioration is frozen.

brian!

Each hit imparts a particular amount of hitstun which scales as a combo continues. Usually once you reach a certain point in the combo the person getting hit will flip out of the combo because there wasn't enough hit stun for the incoming hit. With this bug the person doing the hsd combo will hit a super at a particular time during the combo; the bug occurs here and allows the hsd to be mitigated as long as you keep smacking them within a certain interval. It's likely that the hit stun from the super bugs and the subsequent hits begin using the hit stun from the super. So yeah with no hsd that means you can keep hitting them forever as long you hit them in time

FluxWaveZ

Ahh, now I get. Thanks a lot for the explanations. So now I get why there are very specific setups for it based on one's team.

Seems like something that would eventually get patched out, as mentioned before.

Dahbomb

Yeah there is no point in optimizing this, it's going to get patched out for sure. It's probably the biggest standing glitch right now after Tuesday's patch so it's the highest priority.

Zissou

Ahh, now I get. Thanks a lot for the explanations. So now I get why there are very specific setups for it based on one's team.

Seems like something that would eventually get patched out, as mentioned before.

Yeah, you have to know the exact combo because depending on the specific hit confirm you start the combo with, you can cross the 7,300 damage threshold at very different times, so you need different combos to accommodate every possible way the combo may begin.

PhilTCasual

Neo Member
I think I'm done with this game. Reality stone and yolo attack into tag have sucked out any fun I was having. Shame because the game can be pretty fun at times. Might pick it up again someday if things change.

Zissou

Every fighting game I've ever played had shit I didn't like. What's important is that the good parts are so good you overlook the bad.

PhilTCasual

Neo Member
I've been playing fighting games for a while now thanks. Things change all the time. But you are right in that they won't likely change in this game.

PhilTCasual

Neo Member
Every fighting game I've ever played had shit I didn't like. What's important is that the good parts are so good you overlook the bad.

I agree. I've been playing Guilty Gear for the better part of two years and that game has a ton of BS but in the end I enjoy playing the character I like enough for it to even out.

I guess with this game the frustration just outweighs the joy for me personally. Which is a pretty clear sign that you should just do something else.

JayEH

I’ve barely played anyone with reality Stone now. Everyone in 13-12 rank is branching out more in my experience.

Dahbomb

Learning to deal with Reality stone is like the wall you have to climb in the game.

It's the wake up reversal SRK of this game. People are just going to do it and you have to deal with it but it's definitely possible and Reality stone is becoming less and less attractive over time in top level play.

And yeah things change and they will change with this game too (as proven by the patch notes). I don't know if Reality stone change is on their agenda, Combofiend doesn't seem to think it's strong.

I mean, it's up to you. But if you are having problems with things in the game, why not try to find ways to counter it? Reality Stone is annoying but it's not invincible, and you can catch people doing yolo tags trying to make everything safe (barring exceptions). Same thing with GG and how you use Burst to get pressure off you. If the game isn't enjoyable for you to do the lab work, I guess that's fine, but if it's a matter of sussing out counters it's completely doable.

(Yeah there's bullshit but like every fighting game it's about the flavor of bullshit, some games are chocolate, others are strawberry, etc)

Edit: And by things won't change, I mean they'll nerf it or change it possibly, but the underlying problem with it that most people have probably won't change and neither will people getting hit by it. Same with DPs in SFV right now - despite the change, people are still getting hit by them regardless.

PhilTCasual

Neo Member
I’ve barely played anyone with reality Stone now. Everyone in 13-12 rank is branching out more in my experience.

I've been in rank 11 and just got to 10. The slight majority of players use reality stone but there is a decent amount of variety. Reality stone on its own is insanely annoying but isn't worth stopping over. It's more so how tagging effects the neutral game and how it makes everything safe combined with this. Also certain characters just being obnoxious to fight like gamora and dante for me specifically.

Dahbomb

Tagging making stuff safe is the equivalent of assists making your point character safe. Not to that extent but it's a similar concept.

Stuff like yolo Berserker Slash backed up by Akuma Tatsu/Beam or any teleport with a beam would never work in Marvel 3 if assists weren't a thing.

You really have to shift your thinking with the game because of the Tag system. Stuff is unsafe when the tag system is used up and they use a special afterwards. It's easy to scout out players who abuse tag too much, they forget about it with the tagged in character.

I feel you on the Dante and Gamora thing. But people love them some easy modo characters. Leo from GG, Ken from SFV, and so on. Though those characters got nerfed, maybe D and G will get it the same way.

or just sell the game. no one is really even playing it anymore.

Nah, I find matches just fine on the regular, my lobbies fill up quick, and my local plays the shit outta this game.

Try emulating the situations you have problems within training mode. Hell message the people you fought for some tips or hit up the Reddit for answers. It's all a puzzle and nothing feels better than having a solution

Producer

for the majority of online players that just mash on reality stone its pretty easy to deal with. also funny that they pretty much never expect it to be reflected back lol

Neonep

I feel you on the Dante and Gamora thing. But people love them some easy modo characters. Leo from GG, Ken from SFV, and so on. Though those characters got nerfed, maybe D and G will get it the same way.

Nah, I find matches just fine on the regular, my lobbies fill up quick, and my local plays the shit outta this game.
As someone that plays Dante, I can understand why. Gamora'd guns are so fucking annoying. I constantly get caught in that loop with her gun and I think it's her light punch in the air. It's one of those what's the point of this shit situations.

How was character diversity in early Marvel 3?

Wesker, Super Skrull, Doom, Dante, Phoenix, Sentinel, Magneto, She Hulk, Deadpool, Wolverine, X-23, Taskmaster, Haggar, Tron Bonne, and Chun were the characters I remember people used a lot during the early vanilla days. Super Skrull was disgusting back in his heyday.

That's weird. Maybe it being over seas was a problem for Marvel/Disney? But last week wasn't an issue IIRC. I think the other ones in the US and other places were on CapcomFighters. This channel looks like a throwaway one, and I think Team Spooky is hosting the one in Chicago next week so who knows.

Eh, you know what? You guys convinced me. Gonna try and stick it out and find some solutions.

That's the best way. I remember never finding my footing in vanilla Marvel 3 (couldn't settle on a third character), but when UMvC3 came out I picked Wright to fill my third slot. Took a long time to adapt. Even doing it now in MvCI with Jedah/Frank. Though, I think it's fine to express things you don't like in a patch, mechanic, character, and etc. You might get some good advice from other players. Can't stand the "git gud" mentality I hear around my locals.

FluxWaveZ

That's weird. Maybe it being over seas was a problem for Marvel/Disney? But last week wasn't an issue IIRC. I think the other ones in the US and other places were on CapcomFighters. This channel looks like a throwaway one, and I think Team Spooky is hosting the one in Chicago next week so who knows.

They don't have any Marvel stuff on the CapcomFighters YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/CapcomFightersTV/videos

Edit: I really hate that the era of the thumbs up continues.

Nevermind, everything is going through the BotS channel according to people on Twitter.

Like, I guess they wanted to do something separate but they aren't promoting this right.

They don't have any Marvel stuff on the CapcomFighters YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/CapcomFightersTV/videos

I guess they'd like to do a separate channel for Marvel and weren't ready. If they have Mike dedicated to SFV, they should have someone working for Marvel.

Skittles

Wesker, Super Skrull, Doom, Dante, Phoenix, Sentinel, Magneto, She Hulk, Deadpool, Wolverine, X-23, Taskmaster, Haggar, Tron Bonne, and Chun were the characters I remember people used a lot during the early vanilla days. Super Skrull was disgusting back in his heyday.
Skrulls assist was up there with dooms in bullshit

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Well that's... dumb as hell. Why the shit wouldn't you want to broadcast the only other current Capcom Fighter in the CapcomFighters?

Everything about how Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite has been handled has been a mess.

FSLink

Banned
Well that's... dumb as hell. Why the shit wouldn't you want to broadcast the only other current Capcom Fighter in the CapcomFighters?

Everything about how Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite has been handled has been a mess.

Bizarro Mike was in chat and implied it was due to outside reasons, so I'm gonna guess Marvel and/or Disney didn't want it on the Capcom channel or they couldn't get permission to do so.

Yeah I'm thinking this wasn't due to Capcom. I think they have to go through Marvel to do certain things like hosting vids like they do for SFV. Capcom Fighters didn't really tweet out stuff.

It's possible this is just their contract and whatever CPT thing they do, if they do it next year, will be hashed out better.

JayEH

Marvel jumping ship already.

Actually if Marvel jumped ship they could do whatever the hell they wanted with the game and Capcom might be better off for it.

Obviously that means no Marvel DLC tho so, damn...

Top Bottom