• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Daredevil S2 *Spoiler Thread* |OT| Elektra Boogaloo - March 18th on Netflix

Korosenai

As someone who doesn't know much about Electra and Punisher, how accurate were the portrayals of the characters this season?

WarRock

Finished Season 2, here's a grab-bag of random thoughts.

• Speaking of fights, the stairwell in Episode 3 was this season's version of the hallway in S1:E2. Great stuff, especially the use of the chain (which foreshadows the billy club's cable feature nicely).

• It actually sold me on a Ghost Rider show haha

I just finished season 2 and whilst I thought it was OK, I would have preferred all the focus being on the Punisher and gangs storyline. Whilst I liked Elektra's character the whole Black Sky and The Hand stuff was a bit of a head scratcher and felt out of place with what had been going on in the early part of the season, and Stick, urgh Stick, I could have gone without ever seeing him again.

I was expecting all the 3 gangs to play a much bigger role than they ultimately did and it was disappointing to see the badass Irish leader show up and killed in the same episode, and the Blacksmith reveal was a hella massive let down as well, but maybe Netflix/Marvel are thinking of doing the gang stuff when Fisk gets released in a possible Punisher solo show down the line?

Ah well, I'm still looking forward to Season 3.

I like Elektra and Stick a lot, but the whole threat of the Black Sky and the Hand feels so nebulous. Fisk, gangs, Punisher, drugs... that feels so much more concrete and grounded and they don't quite mix with the nebulous magical powers business. I was hoping for a really hammy final showdown where Punisher showed up with the minigun and mowed down all the hand guys. Instead the two sides of the story continued to feel like oil and water.

But I did feel the finale was somewhat weak. We've seen Daredevil & Elektra take out so many of these ninjas at this point, and Matt has fought Nobu (who worked as a mid-season villain but has no depth in the show) several times as well... just losing interest in those fights. Which would be ok if it was just a backdrop for Matt & Elektras drama, but I felt the pre-fight and "death" dialog just wasn't working well and sapped impact there. And yeah, all that setup for Punisher to save them from a horde of ninjas with a minigun and he just snipes a couple after the main fight is over. I think it might have worked better to just use the stick rescue as the finale for the Hand/Elektra arc with a few adjustments.

Totally agree on the fights. I was expecting at some point in the season for DD to have to cross the line and actively kill some ninjas. That or I was hoping for more Batman-like stealth stalk and takedown scenes (which it felt like there were very few of).

So... what happened to this guy?

who-is-the-main-villain-in-daredevil-season-2-on-netflix-616506.jpg

bryanee

So much better than season 1 which I feel dropped off a cliff around 7 episodes in. I enjoyed every episode in season 2 and I thought the pacing was top notch.

ZeroX03

Banned
They really need to stop being mysterious with The Hand to set up further seasons and give us proper answers. It's hard to fear the scary organization when we aren't all that sure what's going on with them. As far as I can tell with Black Sky people, they're just blind or have an affinity for blind people. No idea what danger they actually pose other than Stick saying it'll be bad.

Kingpin and Punisher are a lot more grounded and they really don't mind showing us exactly why to fear those guys. It does appear they wanted to keep some of Punisher's plot points (Blacksmith and the war) close to the chest/ready to be spun off with how vague they got at the end which sucked.

are you asking cause you're curious or are you asking because you want to debate? Cause I really don't see the point in debating.

I'm curious. Granted I've only read The Man Without Fear, but she seemed pretty much the same. Weaker than her comic counterpart and not as flirty with random dudes, but nothing notably different

KOMANI

KOMANI
I'm curious. Granted I've only read The Man Without Fear, but she seemed pretty much the same. Weaker than her comic counterpart and not as flirty with random dudes, but nothing notably different
For starters, she's less like Miller's ELEKTRA and more like Millar's.
Her origin is different, she's not Greek, her brother doesn't order the death of her mother, her father wasn't assassinated. In the show, she's adopted by a Greek ambassador.
Her powers are not exactly the same. Costume is slightly different. The core of the character stays the same. Considering all that, I deducted 35 points. I debated whether to deduct only 30, but her not being Greek really burned me.
Frank Miller's Elektra plays more like a Greek opera. Deep family issues, especially the maxi (mini?) series with Bill Sienkewicz.
And her first death is different.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
They really need to stop being mysterious with The Hand to set up further seasons and give us proper answers. It's hard to fear the scary organization when we aren't all that sure what's going on with them. As far as I can tell with Black Sky people, they're just blind or have an affinity for blind people. No idea what danger they actually pose other than Stick saying it'll be bad.

Kingpin and Punisher are a lot more grounded and they really don't mind showing us exactly why to fear those guys. It does appear they wanted to keep some of Punisher's plot points (Blacksmith and the war) close to the chest/ready to be spun off with how vague they got at the end which sucked.

I took it as Black Sky being living weapons, pure assassins, perfrct warriors etc

Bad, stop saying she's not greek when they said she was greek in season 1.

KOMANI

KOMANI
I took it as Black Sky being living weapons, pure assassins, perfrct warriors etc

Bad, stop saying she's not greek when they said she was greek in season 1.
She's not Greek. She's adopted to a Greek family. Not the same.
In season one, the show runners had no idea how they were going to tackle ELEKTRA.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
She's not Greek. She's adopted to a Greek family. Not the same.
In season one, the show runners had no idea how they were going to tackle ELEKTRA.

Actually youre right. Is that so important tho? Are you greek or something lol.

I'm much more upset at her death not being saved for Bullseye for example.

ZeroX03

Banned

Considering what we saw of her... She wasn't. She was on par with Matt, maybe not even that. Maybe the power needs to be unlocked, but like everything with The Hand it certainly wasn't that clear.

Rhaknar

Considering what we saw of her... She wasn't. She was on par with Matt, maybe not even that. Maybe the power needs to be unlocked, but like everything with The Hand it certainly wasn't that clear.

Well neither was the child that Stick killed in season 1. Guess they just have the potential, like you say its vague.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Actually youre right. Is that so important tho? Are you greek or something lol.

I'm much more upset at her death not being saved for Bullseye for example.
I'm Greek. And does it bother me? It did. You got to understand, I've been posting and watching the series at the same time, so you got to see my emotions, post by post, episode by episode.
But I agree, not dying in the hands of bullseye sucks. Bullseye killing ELEKTRA is way more important to comic readers' heads than Bullseye killing Page. And on a side note, I'm really going to lament when why don't do the "Karen page sells Daredrvils secret identity for some heroin" bit.

Neoxon

It's going to be interesting how those pieces fall into place. Considering what Karen is in the comic and what she is in the show and how that aligns her for unfolding events. Plus they kinda used a piece of that ending already, so how does it end in a third season using that storyline?
It likely won't be 1:1, but the ideas of
Kingpin figuring out that Matt is Daredevil then fucking up Matt's life accordingly & Karen's downward spiral in terms of her life
will be kept around, though
the latter may be the one subject to the most changes when adapted for the MCU.

E the Shaggy

I really didn't like the revelations of Episode 12. I get using Clancy Brown as a villain to tie it together and get use of him, but it just came out of nowhere. Rather the Blacksmith be Fisk.

The reveal that Elektra was Black Sky was so odd. From the first season, when Stick and Matt were going after the kid who might have been Black Sky, they made it seem like that kid had fucking super powers/was a demon! For BS to just be a really good fighter seemed like a cop out to try to throw in some more conflict to Elektra's character. Would have been better if the Hand just wanted her as a leader.

Ultimately, great season but the Punisher and Fisk stuff was lightyears ahead of anything Hand related.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Really liked it overall.

Only a few minor disappointments, firstly that my original thought of maybe Bullseye would be the person impersonating Frank after his escape, like he was work for the Blacksmith, or even B for B(blacksmith/bullseye). Really wanted to have that in there.

Also thought Frank would do more at the end, more than just 4 guys at the end.

Really liked them getting to the Final version of the billyclub

JTripper

For starters, she's less like Miller's ELEKTRA and more like Millar's.
Her origin is different, she's not Greek, her brother doesn't order the death of her mother, her father wasn't assassinated. In the show, she's adopted by a Greek ambassador.
Her powers are not exactly the same. Costume is slightly different. The core of the character stays the same. Considering all that, I deducted 35 points. I debated whether to deduct only 30, but her not being Greek really burned me.
Frank Miller's Elektra plays more like a Greek opera. Deep family issues, especially the maxi (mini?) series with Bill Sienkewicz.
And her first death is different.

I can understand being bummed that she's not actually Greek.

Aside from historical accuracy regarding specific comic book events, which I don't think needs to always be 100% to the source in these adaptations, I thought Elodie Young's performance of the character was particularly great and I'm willing to say she was nearly as good as Elektra as Bernthal was playing Punisher. The Hand storyline might not have been great but I loved seeing her perform on-screen, especially with Daredevil.

I was only slightly bummed that her death wasn't caused by Bullseye specifically, but maybe she'll just return to be killed permanently by him. Even so, her character would have returned anyway no matter how she died this season with that resurrection pod plot point. Plus, she already died by Bullseye in the Affleck DD movie in a pretty source-identical manner so I'm perfectly fine with them going in a different direction for this TV adaptation in a way we haven't seen before.

KOMANI

KOMANI
lol what?

As for your other points, I can understand being bummed that she's not actually Greek though.

Aside from historical accuracy regarding specific comic book events, which I don't think needs to always be 100% to the source in these adaptations, I thought Elodie Young's performance of the character was particularly great and I'm willing to say she was as good as Elektra as Bernthal was as Punisher. The Hand storyline might not have been great but I loved seeing her perform on-screen, especially with Daredevil.

I was only slightly bummed that her death wasn't caused by Bullseye specifically, but maybe she'll just return to be killed permanently by him. Even so, her character would have returned anyway no matter how she died this season, and she already died by Bullseye in the Affleck DD movie in a pretty source-identical manner so I'm perfectly fine with them going in a different direction for this TV adaptation in a way we haven't seen before.
Whoa whoa whoa. It was asked how accurate she is to her comic counterpart. What I thought of her is an entirely different question. I really liked TV version ELEKTRA. I'm actually hard pressed to find someone I don't like.

Emwitus

Final fight scene redeems season 1's fisk vs devil. That's all i wanted.

Anyway, for me its....

DD2
CA2
JJ
DD1
Thor 1

Yup, netflix MCU has surpassed silver screen MCU. GJ

jackdoe

Haha. I had a thought while watching the season finale during the burial scene. Imagine if they cremated more often for superhero funerals. It would essentially stop resurrections dead in its tracks.

The Kree

Banned
Haha. I had a thought while watching the season finale during the burial scene. Imagine if they cremated more often for superhero funerals. It would essentially stop resurrections dead in its tracks.

Have you ever read a comic book? LOL Cremation would mean jack shit.

JTripper

Whoa whoa whoa. It was asked how accurate she is to her comic counterpart. What I thought of her is an entirely different question. I really liked TV version ELEKTRA. I'm actually hard pressed to find someone I don't like.

Yeah I edited what I bolded in your quote and the "lol what" in mine since it sorta made it seem like my post was a critical rebuttal to yours when I didn't mean it that way. I just used it as a springboard to discuss what I thought about Elektra's portrayal in the show.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Yeah I edited what I bolded in your quote and the "lol what" in mine since it sorta made it seem like my post was a critical rebuttal to yours when I didn't mean it that way. I just used it as a springboard to discuss what I thought about Elektra's portrayal in the show.
Sorry mate, didn't see the bolder. Cheers.

The prison fight was fantastic, I'd argue on par with the Ep3 fight. It was the Punisher's "hallway fight." Frank standing there drenched in blood was as memorable an image as Matt standing exhausted after the hallway brawl in S1

It's probably just me but the haircut on that white woman in the Hand was pretty distracting. Since they didn't give her a name I just called her 'White Hand woman with the 2006 haircut'.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
The prison fight was fantastic, I'd argue on par with the Ep3 fight. It was the Punisher's "hallway fight." Frank standing there drenched in blood was as memorable an image as Matt standing exhausted after the hallway brawl in S1

I love how when I noticed that the blood on him actually formed the skull shape, they draped him in smoke from the 'nades. It was badass as all hell.

Karsha

I felt it was a bit weak, on par with Jessica Jones but inferior to DD s1. As I mentioned in the other topic what really hurt this season was the lack of a real villain. I didn't care much about Nobu or the hand, especially since they lost all their fights and never gave the idea of "We can't run from them, they will get us and kill us" .

Also the whole Blacksmith point felt a bit stupid, how did Frank figure it out? He saw his ex teammate in the docs? And suddenly some random dude was more powerful than Madam Gao and Fisk? I don't know, it was too forced and ended randomly.

And the fights were kinda bad, apart from the prison scene and the one in episode 3 some of them felt like Arrow's weekly bs. Him and Elektra going vs random dudes and just doing flips to beat them . What I loved in s1 was that every random thug felt lifethreading to Daredevil, he was always cut or near death after everyfight, here nothing.

Still the first4 episodes with Punisher were godlike, after Elektra appeared I kinda lost it, too much was going on and not really interesting stuff. Fisk is still the most charismatic thing about DD, all of his scenes( although a few) are memorable, and that confrontation with Math was a top 3 moment in this season.

Absolute damn pleasure to watch is what this season was. Always so damn entertaining. Occasional patented netflix bloat but small price to pay. Daredevil still the best Marvel TV show by a huge margin. Loved Punisher and Elektra although not completely accurate was still good to me.

Elektra and Matt are so sweet together. That bedside praying daww. I thought they were supposed to be bad together?

One of my favorite moments along with Frank on the witness stand. THE BIG BAD PUNISHER

Nete

Fuck the final battle and certain missleading posters. Where is my Punisher with a minigun wiping the floor with the Hand army.

Also: "Enough with these amateurs. Time to get the band back together"... but no Stone, no Claw, no Shaft. Marvel/Netflix pls, you already shown one in Season 1.

jackdoe

Fuck the final battle and certain missleading posters. Where is my Punisher with a minigun wiping the floor with the Hand army.

Also: "Enough with these amateurs. Time to get the band back together"... but no Stone, no Claw, no Shaft. Marvel/Netflix pls, you already shown one in Season 1.
That "Enough with these amateurs" line is especially ironic considering how easy they get bodied by Elektra.

antonz

Fisk showing up as more than a mere cameo or mention was fantastic. D'onofrio is doing a great job evolving the character. They are also doing a good job showing him evolve into the powerhouse he is supposed to be. When he rips free of the handcuffs and just beats on Matt. So good.He still had the total awkward vibe to himself as well staring at the wall while eating etc.

Bernthal was fantastic as Frank Castle. He only truly embraced the Punisher at the end when he destroyed his house and all his links to the past. He had a great dynamic with Karen too. When she saw his handiwork in the diner and was so revolted you could tell it affected Frank and its why he tells her to stay away.

As for Blacksmith I suspect something happened in Afghanistan after the Colonels "loyal soldier" got hit by the IED. Suspect maybe some massacre at a village or something and Castle didn't go along with it. The Colonel makes a point of how loyal the IED'd soldier is/was to the point of making it clear Frank was disloyal. So something happened in Kandahar to get his unit against Frank.

Chase17

He still had the total awkward vibe to himself as well staring at the wall while eating etc.
Yeah, it was a good callback to the rabbit in snowstorm thing.

Posted this in the other thread but I guess it makes more sense to put here. Just some general thoughts on the show. Finished the season a little bit ago. Pretty good. Enjoyed it more then JJ and probably not as much as DD S1. Punisher is great. Here are some random thoughts

-Glad to see that no black men close to retirment got killed off this season. Bucking the netflix MCU trend!

-Really could have used a crossover of the neighbor from Jessica Jone's

-Apparently it's not so bad to leave Nelson and Murdock. Karen already has a monster office at the newspaper (although there is probably some resentment from those she jumped over for the spot). And the Jessica Jone's lawyer, who I thought ended last season in some trouble, offered Foggy a job at a bigger/better firm and suggested he will be a partner. The closing of Nelson and Murdock may have been for the best.

-Felt like Matt was just going with whatever girl was more convenient for him at the time.

-When Karen walks in to see Elektra in bed she doesn't even question the presence of Stick. Way to assume the worst Karen! (don't entirlely blame her here, just thought it was funny). Also glad we didn't really dig to much into Karen's past this season.

-Fisk is amazing. I want a spin off with him. It can just be half of him in prison listening to that song and chilling and the other half him yelling at and head butting people. Would be amazing. The scene with him and Matt was probably my favorite of the season.

-Prison scene with the punisher was the best fight of the season.

-At a certain point I was expecting the guy who Karen shot last season to make a return.

-What was the Micro thing Frank got at the end? Think I missed something, that or its a tease.

Hoping there's a season 3. Or at least some of the supporting characters are in Defenders or something.

Rhaknar

Microchip

Which I guess if they do a spin off Frank would just call him Micro which rolls off the tongue much better than Microchip

Edit: apparently he was also mentioned in Agents of Shield

"In the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. episode "The Writing on the Wall", Microchip (called "Micro" on the show) is mentioned by Skye as a "crime scene junkie" who is among her network of hackers"

Fisk showing up as more than a mere cameo or mention was fantastic. D'onofrio is doing a great job evolving the character. They are also doing a good job showing him evolve into the powerhouse he is supposed to be. When he rips free of the handcuffs and just beats on Matt. So good.He still had the total awkward vibe to himself as well staring at the wall while eating etc.

Bernthal was fantastic as Frank Castle. He only truly embraced the Punisher at the end when he destroyed his house and all his links to the past. He had a great dynamic with Karen too. When she saw his handiwork in the diner and was so revolted you could tell it affected Frank and its why he tells her to stay away.

As for Blacksmith I suspect something happened in Afghanistan after the Colonels "loyal soldier" got hit by the IED. Suspect maybe some massacre at a village or something and Castle didn't go along with it. The Colonel makes a point of how loyal the IED'd soldier is/was to the point of making it clear Frank was disloyal. So something happened in Kandahar to get his unit against Frank.
We need a Punisher series. They made the Frank/Fisk dynamic is just as compelling as the Matt/Fisk one, and like Season 1, he doesn't fully become The Punisher till the end

I'm assuming that's where they decided to get into the drug game. His old unit probably struck a deal with some warlord for exclusive rights to his opium. They all went along with it except Frank. Which means they had to eliminate him since he was the only one who wasn't down with the plan.

Top Bottom