• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Inhumans/Inhumass/Inhumazz: Review Thread.

Discussion in other topics has suggested that Kevin Feige and Marvel Studios by extension never had any real interest in Inhumans. The push for that property apparently came from Ike Pearlmutter as part of his attempt to use it as a replacement for X-Men, only for no one to really be responsive to the idea up until this point.
Comics and film executives both balked at the idea really. It's why they just handed what concepts that had been finalized to Loeb

hydruxo

The problem with this specifically is that they made the agreement with IMAX so that it could fit into IMAX's dead period (there generally aren't new release IMAX movies between the middle/end of August and the middle/end of September to early October), and Game of Thrones did pretty well for them in what I believe was a similar slot. So once they made the agreement last year, they needed the whole thing to be done by right now. And you have to get lucky (or, more than likely, really expensive) to get a good showrunner who is willing to completely build a show up from nothing in that short of a time period.

True, that definitely screwed them over. I'd like to hope they've learned something from Iron Fist and now Inhumans, but I doubt it.

Defenders was okay. Just okay. And even that might be slightly generous considering the anticipation for Defenders to finally happen.

Maybe Ghost Rider was "random" (Dunno the issue with that when it isn't uncommon for a new season of a show to dole out a brand new threat), but the LMD arc was eased into a way that made total sense considering the antagonist involved.

Defenders was terrible for me. If they do it again, exclude iron fist please.

I don't read a whole of SHIELD but, dealing with that part of the supernatural does not feel natural to me. They have other organizations in the Marvel universe that handle that kind of thing. His introduction and connection to Daisy earlier in the season seemed too convenient to me. His exit during the close of shows first arc was weird too as well as his return in the finale.

I'm not understanding this at all. How is it "random?" They were both introduced naturally and built up over time, especially the LMD arc which was the complete opposite of "random."

What exactly do you want?

As for the LMDs , well sure, we knew they were coming since the end of the last season. I don't however like their execution. There was no buildup to what their intended functions were. If we had a season or two of LMDs being used in the field and tie that into some kind of LMD revolt, that would have been much better. This just seems like someone just threw a dart at the board. If they were going to go mystical this season, they should have kept it that way completely and had the LMDs be the villain for the mini arc.

As a whole i'm kind of tired of these shows doing these major villain switch ups midway through the season. This is not just a MCU thing btw this is DCTV as well.

Why do you watch 4 long seasons, which amounts to like 88 episodes, of a show you not only don't like, but actually find terrible?

Irrelevant. I watched AOS for the same reason I watched Iron Fist. Love the source material.

(I think AoS is the best superhero tv show with a significant margin, in particular season 2 and 4 gave us 44 episodes of very strong material in my opinion)

Season 3 was more solid for me. The two major antagonist and conflicts seemed to be inline. Unlike season 4 where the only reason ghost rider shows up because magic plot device. Maybe I saw a different show? Season 2 was fairly decent but, it followed after a horrendous season 1.

LotusHD

Banned
Hot take: Daredevil S1 is just as good (or bad depending on your opinion) as the rest of Netflix's Marvel output. People just praise it because it was the first one out of the gate and it was really exciting at the time.

Well, you did call it a hot take...

Kin5290

So, what's with there being no reviews of Inhumans in the thread for reviews of Inhumans?

Vox "Pre-Review"
Todd VanDerWerff said:
But I can overlook incomplete effects. I’ve been doing it for years. (My first major assignment was reviewing Battlestar Galactica every week, and that show almost never had completed effects on its screeners.) The key factor in this equation is that the visual effects are one of the last things added to a series — they can’t compensate for bad writing, incompetent direction, or listless performances.

And because this is not a time when I can publish an official review, I will say no more, except that I am highly, highly doubtful that completed effects will fix what’s wrong with Inhumans. All the spiffy teleporting bulldogs in the world won’t be able to overcome this series’ issues.

Newsarama - 4/10
On paper, Inhumans feels like the answer to much of what ails Marvel Television. As opposed to its larger-than-life cinematic counterpart, Marvel’s live-action TV unit has felt like a paradox - with Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and Agent Carter, these series both live in a world full of wondrous superheroes... yet are defined largely by the absence of any of these budget-heavy superpowers. But with Inhumans, that perception looked ready to change, as Stan Lee and Jack Kirby’s wild and eccentric Royal Family of Attilan will finally make their grand debut on IMAX screens Thursday evening.

Well, at least it looked grand on paper.
Also...
Perhaps most disappointing, however, is Ken Leung as Karnak - as a fan of both the actor and the character, it really stung to see the actor’s expressions blocked out by the barest of green tattoos, while his meant-to-be-bleak dialogue instead comes across as awkward and overwritten. (And that’s not even including the use of his unique, combat-ready powers - if you thought the fight scenes in Iron Fist were bad, you’re about to get one-upped with Karnak, a slow, unenergetic affair which takes place under unforgiving fluorescent lights.)

Nyanmaruz

Kevin Feige:
tenor.gif

This looks like ass but I think it's kinda fucked up people are harassing these guys already about what they gotta say about their show sucking before it's even out for most people.

Like what are you even expecting them to say in that situation? They aren't gonna get into specifics and they aren't gonna bad mouth Marvel. It's that kinda ambushing that's led to that corny "we do it for the fans" response we sometimes get.

I don't think I necessarily have a problem with them calling them out about it being subpar but it seems a little vicious to not even let the thing premiere before the blood is in the water lmao. At least they gave BvS till the Friday or Saturday it was out before they started asking them to respond to critics.

Anyway, looked at my IMAX screenings and the theaters are charging full price, which no surprise, no one has bit yet lol.

Korigama

Comics and film executives both balked at the idea really. It's why they just handed what concepts that had been finalized to Loeb
Not surprising. Even without accounting for Buck, little to nothing about its production or presentation suggests any real care having been put into it.
Season 3 was more solid for me. The two major antagonist and conflicts seemed to be inline. Unlike season 4 where the only reason ghost rider shows up because magic plot device. Maybe I saw a different show? Season 2 was fairly decent but, it followed after a horrendous season 1.
Eh, I didn't care all that much for season 3. The Secret Warriors stuff didn't really go anywhere, with one of the recruits being dropped unceremoniously before the season ended, and the season itself was bogged down with entirely too many romantic subplots. The fact that Daisy and Lincoln had no chemistry and weren't even remotely believable as a couple didn't help, either.

ZeoVGM

Banned
The first half of season 3 was great and at the same level as season 2. The second half felt back a little bit as I don't think the Hive stuff worked that well. Still solid though.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Did you stop during season 1?

Yep, like...I stopped at Season 1, Episode 3 or something. I just couldn't take it any more.

So, what's with there being no reviews of Inhumans in the thread for reviews of Inhumans?

Apologies, as an organic meat popsicle who lives in a different timezone, I needed to fulfill my biological duty to sleep over the past few hours.

(Incidentally though, I already saw that Vox review...but the reviewer seems to mention they saw an incomplete version of the premiere that wasn't ready for review, so I declined to include it)

Thread has now been updated.

After Season 4, liking S3 of AoS would be to me like preferring S2 of True Detective over S1. Lincoln was like nails on a chalkboard.

S2 is the second best, S1 still pretty terrible. Can't believe how they turned this around, if someone told me I wouldn't believe either.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Yep, like...I stopped at Season 1, Episode 3 or something. I just couldn't take it any more.

Alright, so here's the deal:

Season 1: First half is rough with some bad episodes. The second half (episode 11 and on) is when you see the show starting to find itself. It's solid and gets really good with the Winter Soldier tie-in (episodes 16/17).

Season 2: Awesome from start to finish with really only one episode that fell flat for me. One of my top tier things in the MCU. The show finds its darker/more mature tone while introducing great new characters (Mockingbird, Mack, Hunter) along with Kyle McLaughlin playing another new character who I won't spoil. But he's amazing in the role.

Season 3: The first half is great. It's just as good as season 2 for the most part and you really start to see the actor who plays Fitz become one of the MVPs of the MCU. The second half is still solid with some really good episodes near the end. It does falter a bit though.

Season 4: Tops season 2. It might honestly be my actual #1 thing in the entire MCU. It's just that good. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., the show you remember as only what you saw in the first three episodes, tries to do Ghost Rider. And they pull it off amazingly well. Oh, and LMDs. And then something else insane that I won't spoil, if you're unaware.

So yeah, get on that there Netflix and get your marathon on. Then join us in the season 5 thread where we'll spam GIFs of Fitz being the best ever.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Alright, so here's the deal:

Season 1: First half is rough with some bad episodes. The second half (episode 11 and on) is when you see the show starting to fins itself. It's solid and gets really good with the Winter Soldier tie-in (episodes 16/17).

Season 2: Awesome from start to finish with really only one episode that fell flat for me. One of my top tier things in the MCU. The show finds its darker/more mature tone while introducing great new characters (Mockingbird, Mack, Hunter) along with Kyle McLaughlin playing another new character who I won't spoil. But he's amazing in the role.

Season 3: The first half is great. It's just as good as season 2 for the most part and you really start to see the actor who plays Fitz become one of the MVPs of the MCU. The second half is still solid with some really good episodes near the end. It does falter a bit though.

Season 4: Tops season 2. It might honestly be my actual #1 thing in the entire MCU. It's just that good. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., the show you remember as only what you saw in the first three episodes, tries to do Ghost Rider. And they pull it off amazingly well. Oh, and LMDs. And then something else insane that I won't spoil, if you're unaware.

So yeah, get on that there Netflix and get your marathon on. Then join us in the season 5 thread where we'll spam GIFs of Fitz being the best ever.

Haha, this is an encouraging summary, thank you!

I live in England and somewhat frustratingly, we don't actually have the show on UK Netflix...so I'm not too sure where else I could watch it just short of actually buying all the episodes on DVD, or whatever. But I think this thread has finally given me the push I need to try to catch up before the debut of the new season, regardless.

number11

I've seen everything that is meant to be MCU related (TV, One Shots, Films).. this is the first thing i'm not even gonna bother with.

Penguin

Probably not an important element at this point, but is this a "full" product as in the story has an end or is it kind of vague?

I'm only curious since it is leading to a TV show so not sure how they handled the actual story structure

Probably not an important element at this point, but is this a "full" product as in the story has an end or is it kind of vague?

I'm only curious since it is leading to a TV show so not sure how they handled the actual story structure

It isn't leading into a TV show - it's the first episode of the show that is getting a slot in an IMAX theater for 2 weeks. So you can expect a bunch of setup for the rest of the season

It isn't leading into a TV show - it's the first episode of the show that is getting a slot in an IMAX theater for 2 weeks. So you can expect a bunch of setup for the rest of the season

It's an edited version of the first two episodes, actually. Bizarrely, the version you don't have to pay for will have more footage.

Penguin

I know that, but you can still have TV pilots that kind of feel like a "Complete" story while offering hooks for what's to come

A few more reviews have dropped, and they're pretty much exactly what you'd expect.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/09/01/inhumans-review-why

I hate nitpicking. Hate it. But everything about Inhumans feels like it can’t be approached without sounding like a nitpick, because it all fails to coalesce on even the most basic dramatic levels. I’m easy to please when it comes to superheroes too, but if there’s no semblance of who a character is, what they want, how their out-there world functions (or why) and how any of these factors affect each other, then even I will lose interest! Instead of establishing any of this, the first two episodes take their time to re-tread easily understood factual information (like the fact that Maximus planned a coup) via flashbacks to a few minutes prior, ad nauseam. Not just a few minutes when measured in screen time, but a few minutes within the narrative itself. No, really. There are several instances when characters recall information that was told to them minutes prior, and we see snippets of conversations play out a second time despite knowing what’s happening from every angle.

As far as these first two episodes go, it’s a show made entirely of baffling, wrong-headed decisions that actively work against capturing your interest. This is usually the bit where I dig deep to find some sort of redeeming quality, but other than the performances (which are all fine, despite being wasted on a tonally confused approach), I’m struggling to find anything good to talk about. Which sucks, because these characters and this world have so much dramatic potential. All the seeds are right there! There are perspectives waiting to be challenged! A revolution waiting to happen! Characters waiting to learn and introspect! And all this could very well happen in future episodes, but after an hour and a half, the fact that absolutely none of it feels like a possibility doesn’t inspire confidence.

https://www.wired.com/story/marvel-inhumans-review/

Any of that sound like fun? Yeah, it’s pretty much not. In the first two installments of Inhumans, the ones being shown in IMAX, all the stakes are laid out: Inhumans have escaped persecution on Earth by setting up camp on Attilan, and Black Bolt’s brother, Maximus (Game of Thrones’ Iwan Rheon, being as sadistic as he can on network TV), is planning a coup. Yet, none of it feels urgent. The fate of the Inhumans is at stake, because they say it is, but there's little indication of why that matters.

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/inhumans-review-marvels-first-major-misstep

When the credits rolled in WIRED's screening of the IMAX premiere of Marvel's Inhumans, a fellow audience member loudly exclaimed "what the f*** did I just watch?". While his review is more profane and far more concise than our own, he was pretty much on the money: Inhumans is a mess.

Judging from internet chatter, expectations for the show had been low following lacklustre trailers and awkward comic con panels over the summer. Sadly, the final product lives down to those expectations, suffering from shoddy pacing, inconsistent plotting and characterisation, and a cheap, rushed look to everything.

evanmisha

Juat got out. It was a damn mess. The wig surprisingly wasn't that bad in motion and wasn't even in my list of like, top 10 problems with it.

Ends on a huge cliffhanger, btw. Like, this is not a self-contained pilot in any sense.

Hoping Triton stays dead because holy moly, that man can not act.

The acting in the opening scene is like a bad parody of a sex hotline commercial. Maybe the worst I've ever paid to see. And by the time the credits rolled, it had already been topped. Yikes x100

kmfdmpig

A few more reviews have dropped, and they're pretty much exactly what you'd expect.
http://www.wired.co.uk/article/inhumans-review-marvels-first-major-misstep

This makes me laugh way more than it should.
When the credits rolled in WIRED's screening of the IMAX premiere of Marvel's Inhumans, a fellow audience member loudly exclaimed "what the f*** did I just watch?". While his review is more profane and far more concise than our own, he was pretty much on the money: Inhumans is a mess.

Harmen

The first half of season 3 was great and at the same level as season 2. The second half felt back a little bit as I don't think the Hive stuff worked that well. Still solid though.

I agree. It was still entertaining television with good production values. It is just that the arc started to drag and the drama was handled less well compared to season 2 and especially 4.

The only bad AoS stuff is in season 1. A shame, I think had the show started out on a comparable level as at least the latter half of season 1, it would have had a lot more fans. I was one of the people who ditched it early because I found it silly and it looked horrible.

ZeoVGM

Banned
It's going to be interesting to see if this entire show just gets completely ignored by Marvel and they reboot with an actual film in 10 years. And by "reboot" I mean a new cast that simply pretends this show didn't happen.

Donos

When the credits rolled in WIRED's screening of the IMAX premiere of Marvel's Inhumans a fellow audience member loudly exclaimed "what the f*** did I just watch?"
ahaha nice. OT thread title right there.

SpaceWolf

Banned
It's going to be interesting to see if this entire show just gets completely ignored by Marvel and they reboot with an actual film in 10 years. And by "reboot" I mean a new cast that simply pretends this show didn't happen.

Assuming this show is as bad as the reviews indicate beyond the premiere, I definitely believe this will be the first property Marvel actively "decanonizses" in preparation for a reboot within the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It sounds pretty bloody disastrous.

Top Bottom