• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Inhumans/Inhumass/Inhumazz: Review Thread.

Exactly, like I think Marvel can afford to get a good showrunner who overspends a bit on the budget and takes their time. They aren't exactly hurting for money or recognition.

The problem with this specifically is that they made the agreement with IMAX so that it could fit into IMAX's dead period (there generally aren't new release IMAX movies between the middle/end of August and the middle/end of September to early October), and Game of Thrones did pretty well for them in what I believe was a similar slot. So once they made the agreement last year, they needed the whole thing to be done by right now. And you have to get lucky (or, more than likely, really expensive) to get a good showrunner who is willing to completely build a show up from nothing in that short of a time period.

The problem with this specifically is that they made the agreement with IMAX so that it could fit into IMAX's dead period (there generally aren't new release IMAX movies between the middle/end of August and the middle/end of September to early October), and Game of Thrones did pretty well for them in what I believe was a similar slot. So once they made the agreement last year, they needed the whole thing to be done by right now. And you have to get lucky (or, more than likely, really expensive) to get a good showrunner who is willing to completely build a show up from nothing in that short of a time period.

Imagine if they had struck a deal for the same period next year. We might actually have ended up with something halfway decent.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Just looked at the big theatre near me that does reserve seating for tonight's 2 showings... There's a total of 1 ticket sold for the 7:00pm show and zero tickets for the 9:30.

LotusHD

Banned
Yup, ruined. As if all the previews and gifs didn't give us enough. Telling you, let shield(I saw last season and still think it's terrible), this show, and iron fist go. Let em go Marvel.

tenor.gif

I'm pretty positive they locked on Buck long before the IMAX deal.

kevin1025

Banned
*checks tonight's 7pm IMAX showing reserved seats*

They fooled one person to go, apparently!

...no wait, that was the seat that was automatically mine from checking. Yeah, this is going to go badly.

SpaceWolf

Banned
There's something really depressing about the thought of just one person sitting by themselves in an utterly empty Imax theatre to watch the series premiere of this show. They'd probably start crying halfway through.

Buckle

Can we please not let this air and just quietly cancel it?

Marvel had to have known almost every step of the way this was going to be absolute dogshit and they're just letting happen.

Jesus. This is just sad to watch unfold as an Inhumans fan. Like witnessing a slow motion bullet slowly making it's way to my heart across several months, I can only watch in horror.

SArcher

Banned
Can we please not let this air and just quietly cancel it?

Marvel had to have known almost every step of the way this was going to be absolute dogshit and they're just letting happen.

Jesus. This is just sad to watch unfold as an Inhumans fan. Like witnessing a slow motion bullet slowly making it's way to my heart across several months, I can only watch in horror.

It sucks that so many of Kirby's characters (the FF, Inhumans) have gotten the shaft. Really hope DC will end up doing something great with the New Gods.

kevin1025

Banned
There's something really depressing about the thought of just one person sitting by themselves in an utterly empty Imax theatre to watch the series premiere of this show. They'd probably start crying halfway through.

When I saw Where the Wild Things Are in IMAX, I was the only person in there. It was pretty awesome, haha.

When I saw Where the Wild Things Are in IMAX, I was the only person in there. It was pretty awesome, haha.

I've had a couple instances where I was the only person in a movie theater, and they were great (and that's even though one of them was Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle).

SpaceWolf

Banned

Oh, don't get me wrong...I'm not ragging on anyone who happens to enjoy going to the movies by themselves (I do it all the time!), just making fun of the strangely depressing image of an Inhumans fan who'd wind up going to see the imax premiere of this show and finding themselves the only one in the theatre.

This has more IMAX showtimes than any IMAX movie and it's still gonna bomb hard.

Probably back when it was announced, IMAX was completely blowing their load; could you imagine having a huge franchise, potentially something like Guardians of the Galaxy on your hands? You'd add as many showings and seatings as possible. Fans will be climbing over each other in the seats to get a sneak peek at this new series.

And then..it turns out to be a dud.

I don't think anyone is really going to lose out (IMAX gets to show something in a dead period, Ike gets his InHumans, Marvel gets some bargaining chips to say "hey, we really shouldn't have separate divisions for movies and shows"

Hopefully this'll pave the way to unifying the MCU, and maybe Marvel will try to force something else our way in the comics/movies since Inhumans can't be the stand ins for mutants and the X-Men any more.

Probably back when it was announced, IMAX was completely blowing their load; could you imagine having a huge franchise, potentially something like Guardians of the Galaxy on your hands? You'd add as many showings and seatings as possible. Fans will be climbing over each other in the seats to get a sneak peek at this new series.

And then..it turns out to be a dud.

I don't think anyone is really going to lose out (IMAX gets to show something in a dead period, Ike gets his InHumans, Marvel gets some bargaining chips to say "hey, we really shouldn't have separate divisions for movies and shows"

Hopefully this'll pave the way to unifying the MCU, and maybe Marvel will try to force something else our way in the comics/movies since Inhumans can't be the stand ins for mutants and the X-Men any more.

uh, who do you mean by "Marvel" in this scenario? Does anyone there actually want to reunify the Perlmutter and Feige divisions?

ZeoVGM

Banned
Marvel TV is on a real bad streak right now. I need to watch Agents of Shield Season 4 to renew some hope.

I mean, that literally just ended and Defenders was good.

Iron First was bad. This looks to be bad. But that's not really a streak when AoS and Defenders are happening around the same time.

Thankfully, we'll likely never see Buck involved with the MCU again. I think Marvel TV will be fine going forward.

ZeoVGM

Banned
uh, who do you mean by "Marvel" in this scenario? Does anyone there actually want to reunify the Perlmutter and Feige divisions?

In a dream scenario, Marvel/Disney will look at Inhumans and say, "Okay, the TV side can be good for us. We know it has some of the most acclaimed stuff in the MCU. Let's not let Inhumans happen again. Let's put more control of the TV side under the movie division."

Perhaps that means forcing Perlmutter out of the TV side. Perhaps that means getting a Feige-type person to be the person who sits in the middle of the divisions, making sure everything works together and that we don't end up with an Inhumans situation again.

The film division has had a dud before too. The Dark World is ridiculed on a regular basis. It feels like Marvel has tried to keep things fresh and that they made an effort to avoid a TDW-type movie again. Hopefully they apply that to the TV division as well.

SArcher

Banned

Iron First was bad. This looks to be bad. But that's not really a streak when AoS and Defenders are happening around the same time.

Thankfully, we'll likely never see Buck involved with the MCU again. I think Marvel TV will be fine going forward.

I don't share the opinion but going by GAF Daredevil S2, Luke Cage, Iron Fist & Defenders were all shit. This is where the "bad streak" talk comes from.

I don't think so. Feige has never shown any interested in working on the TV division even when they were co-operating more (i.e. AoS season 1), so it's not like he'd take control of both. You'd basically be asking for Loeb to pull a Feige and report directly to ABC/Disney's TV division, which might be a small improvement but there's still a lot of people who don't have much faith in Loeb.

LotusHD

Banned

Defenders was okay. Just okay. And even that might be slightly generous considering the anticipation for Defenders to finally happen.

Man. Agree to disagree on that one. Randomly insert Ghost Rider and LMDs... doesn't translate well for me. So nah.

Maybe Ghost Rider was "random" (Dunno the issue with that when it isn't uncommon for a new season of a show to dole out a brand new threat), but the LMD arc was eased into a way that made total sense considering the antagonist involved.

I don't share the opinion but going by GAF Daredevil S2, Luke Cage, Iron Fist & Defenders were all shit. This is where the "bad streak" talk comes from.

Pretty much. Even DD S2, which was overall solid (thanks to the Punisher) suffered a lot due to the pacing and Hand nonsense. Then Luke Cage's 2nd half. The entirety of Iron Fist. And Defenders is frankly hard to love unless you're very much forgiving due to the fact that our heroes have finally met one another.

Prompto

Banned
I just got done with Defenders today and it was indeed pretty meh. It had some moments of course but overall it wasn't very good.

I miss the days of Daredevil season 1.

SArcher

Banned
I just got done with Defenders today and it was indeed pretty meh. It had some moments of course but overall it wasn't very good.

I miss the days of Daredevil season 1.

Hot take: Daredevil S1 is just as good (or bad depending on your opinion) as the rest of Netflix's Marvel output. People just praise it because it was the first one out of the gate and it was really exciting at the time.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Man. Agree to disagree on that one. Randomly insert Ghost Rider and LMDs... doesn't translate well for me. So nah.

I'm not understanding this at all. How is it "random?" They were both introduced naturally and built up over time, especially the LMD arc which was the complete opposite of "random."

What exactly do you want?

Dysun

Luke Cage (second half mainly), Iron Fist, and the Defenders were all mediocre at best, and now we get this. Shield S4 is the only one I'm behind on, but seems to be praised universally.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Luke Cage (second half mainly), Iron Fist, and the Defenders were all mediocre at best, and now we get this. Shield S4 is the only one I'm behind on, but seems to be praised universally.

I disagree with Luke and Defenders. I loved the majority of Luke Cage. Had no issues with the second half.

But yes, absolutely watch Shield S4. Immediately.

To be fair, it easily could have been. There is no reason why Inhumans couldn't have been Game of Thrones in space.

And then Buck happened.

Given the production schedule, it was probably fucked even before Buck came on board. Not that he didn't likely manage to make it even worse.

Harmen

Yup, ruined. As if all the previews and gifs didn't give us enough. Telling you, let shield(I saw last season and still think it's terrible), this show, and iron fist go. Let em go Marvel.

Why do you watch 4 long seasons, which amounts to like 88 episodes, of a show you not only don't like, but actually find terrible?

(I think AoS is the best superhero tv show with a significant margin, in particular season 2 and 4 gave us 44 episodes of very strong material in my opinion).

ZeoVGM

Banned
Why do you watch 4 long seasons, which amounts to like 88 episodes, of a show you not only don't like, but actually find terrible?

(I think AoS is the best superhero tv show with a significant margin, in particular season 2 and 4 gave us 44 episodes of very strong material in my opinion).

My man.

Season 2 was one of the best things in the MCU and season 4 managed to top it.

It's a bit silly to be like, "Marvel, I know you have this acclaimed show that critics and fans love. But I'm telling you, you need to let it go. Because I don't like it."

To be fair, it easily could have been. There is no reason why Inhumans couldn't have been Game of Thrones in space.

And then Buck happened.

I don't think it's fair to place the blame entirely on Buck. Sure, he's shit, but Marvel are the ones who decided cheap and fast were more important than quality.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Urgh.

I'm going to have to end up going back to Agents of Shield even after getting originally put by the fucking woeful first few episodes, aren't I?

Top Bottom