• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Luke Cage |OT| Bulletproof While Black - September 30th on Netflix

They should do Ironfist, than have Ironfist and Luke's season 2 be Heroes for Hire

Hnnggggg...

If you told kid-me... 30+ years ago that a seriously made Heroes for Hire looked this likely, and that the world would have 5-10 good-to-great concurrent TV super-hero shows, I would've crapped myself.

jmood88

Mahershala Ali is perfect as Cottonmouth but when he talks sometimes I imagine that Wood Harris is playing the role.

Ok, I really don't like the show that much so far but them going full on 70s Luke Cage at the end of episode 4 was absolutely glorious. Makes me want to find my old issues of Spider-Man.

Haven't started yet

How does this stack up to the other Netflix Marvel stuff for you guys?

I'm still early on but I would rank it below Daredevil and the first half of Jessica Jones so far. The soundtrack and cinematography are on point and the cast is great but damn, is it slow paced. There's no major flaw but I'm struggling to keep interest.

End of Episode 3:
A fucking bazooka breaking my suspension of disbelief a bit. Blow up a building in NYC? You're gonna get the full power of federal anti-terrorism agencies on your ass.

Why would you watch 4 hours of something you don't like?

Because Luke Cage?
And Misty Knight.
It's really not that complicated. I loved Daredevil seasons 1 and 2 as well as the first half of Jessica Jones and I resubscribed to Netflix for this show specifically. There are enough things that I like for me to keep watching despite my criticisms. I paid 10€ for this dammit.

Why is luke cage considered a street level hero? He seems to be at least as strong as the likes of winter soldier, black panther or captain america

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Why is luke cage considered a street level hero? He seems to be at least as strong as the likes of winter soldier, black panther or captain america

I think the term "street level" is just in regards to how they operate, not their particular ability levels. Yeah, most of your street level people are just going to be peak human or slightly enhanced but it isn't written in stone.

Anung

Un Rama
End of Episode 3:
A fucking bazooka breaking my suspension of disbelief a bit. Blow up a building in NYC? You're gonna get the full power of federal anti-terrorism agencies on your ass.

Eh you have people punching things into buildings, aliens invading. Agencies probably have their hands full. Plus I suspended my disbelief the second that Mariah was doing all her criminal shit in the open. People in the wire would be rolling in their grave.

Speaking of which there are so many Wire alumni showing up. If you took a shot every time they show up you'd get quite drunk.

Krowley

I'm not sure it has much to do with strength. It's more about the theater they operate in.

Spider-Man is also a street level hero, at least most of the time, and he could solo a whole swarm of Avengers at once.

Eh you have people punching things into buildings, aliens invading. Agencies probably have their hands full. Plus I suspended my disbelief the second that Mariah was doing all her criminal shit in the open. People in the wire would be rolling in their grave.

Yeah, fair enough. She ain't exactly keeping it a secret. All in all, my complaint wasn't a big one. Doesn't take away from my enjoyment on bit.

Fuser

Wow looks like my opinion is different to most. Two episodes in and it's easily the worst netflix marvel series. I'll keep going but so far very disappointed.

Chase17

Episode 2
Wasn't expecting him to die so soon. Also I found it funny when the one guy (Turk?) just showed up out of nowhere on the roof asking for his money.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I'm sitting at work going crazy. I can't wait to get home. A friend and maybe his brother are going to come over and hang with my and my wife to watch a few episodes, eat pizza, and drink. This wait, though. I got two hours, and then an hour 45 bus ride home. Sigh.

Colter sold me on Luke when he first showed up, and I never thought we'd get here. A whole season, Sweet Christmas...

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Okay, not shit posting, but genuinely curious. Is this show any smarter than Daredevil and JJ?

I'd say it falls in the same range. It isn't The Wire or Mad Men if thats what you're asking. But I think it's better than your network superhero show offerings so far.

I'm sure it's already been asked but do I need to watch Jessica Jones before watching this? I haven't gotten to that yet but I'm hearing really good things about this and kind of want to jump in now.

Mechazawa

First episode was fucking fantastic. Dialogue gets occasionally cornball-y, but overall everything's on point so far. Really loving Cottonmouth in particular.

It's insane just how much the Netflix's Marvel output is putting the movie's proper to shame. This is a quality that's present in both Daredevil and Jessica Jones, but Luke Cage in particular highlights how strong these shows become when characters talk and act like actual people in lived in worlds instead of as ideologue or catchphrase spouting machines.

Ricker

The end of Ep.3 was great...this is a Marvel show after all with a guy that is basically invincible and all so I want more shit like this too happen lol... ;)

Watched 4 episodes, can easily say that Luke Cage (the character, not the series) is my second favorite Marvel Netflix Universe character, right behind the Punisher. The show is slow, but goddamn if Luke isn't amazing.

It needs a strong villain though, and I'm not talking about strength. DD had Fisk, JJ had Purple Time Lord, Cottonmouth so far hasn't been that guy. I love the actor, it's nothing against his acting, but the character itself is nowhere near Fisk / Purple Man levels (at least so far).

Episode 4 spoilers:
That costume, haha. Loved the reference.

Does the show deal with police brutality and institutional racism? I know this was asked last week but the episodes had not been released yet.

Top Bottom