• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Luke Cage |OT| Bulletproof While Black - September 30th on Netflix

Slixshot

Banned
I really like the casting. Effects and fight scenes could have been done better. Hoping for better stuff later on. Only on episode 4.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I'd say it falls in the same range. It isn't The Wire or Mad Men if thats what you're asking. But I think it's better than your network superhero show offerings so far.

It is, but not in a way the internet really likes. It's really black.

Thank ya. The difference in POV (being black essentially) might be enough for me to give it a spin. I thought JJ got pretty dumb but I appreciated that it was trying to say stuff about abuse and dependency.

slider

Huh, just found this on Netflix. Episode one. This dude is a charismatic and good looking mofo. Reminds me of me.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I only watched like the first 6 eps of Jessica Jones, is it critical i finish that in order to watch this? When does this take place?

Sou Da

Huh, just found this on Netflix. Episode one. This dude is a charismatic and good looking mofo. Reminds me of me.

Only the most humble gaming enthusiasts on GAF.

For all I know you might be a model with your own cult to be honest.

Da-Kid

Cap is a better fighter, but Luke Cage is stronger and more durable. I think Luke would whup Cap's ass. We'll never find out though because reasons.
I think Cap could outsmart Cage. But Caps shield will pretty much be useless against him. If Luke gets a grip on Cap. it's over.
Really digging the show (halfway ep 5)! Pacing is a tad slow for me at times, but other than that I have no complaints thus far.

I agree he is very, very durable. But
Iron Man? I don't think I agree. In his best suit IM took on the Hulk and the non-hulkbuster suits had to endure a lot more than an RPG or collapsing building. Hell, during the first battle as IM in the first film Stark gets shot down by a direct hit from a tank and crashes in the ground from a great height, which barely did anything to the suit.
OK, maybe not as durable, but near.

MartyStu

Only have watched partway through the first episode. I really like it thus far.

Can a a show have swagger? Like legitimate barely trying swagger. If so, this one has it in spades.

The casting is really good, and while I definitely get why people do not like the lead's acting, between the writing and the rest of the cast, I barely notice.

Also, fuck me, but the music is good.

slider

Only the most humble gaming enthusiasts on GAF.

For all I know you might be a model with your own cult to be honest.

Heh, I'm comfortable in my skin with a beautiful wife and son. My dog's also incredibly handsome. Me? I'm a type. Rough around the edges I think is the kindest way I can describe it.

rrc1594

Diamondback is a boss for that Friday reference. See now I want a Spider-man show so we can bring in Tombstone.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Spoilers for Ep.7:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Fucking hell, that was hard to watch. Cottonmouth is legitimately one of the top villains of the MCU. Incredibly rich, deep and tragic character. A true villain. Not a caricature but a fully fledged, complex monster. And he goes down...Damn that's unexpected. Diamondback better be one badass mofo to replace him properly T_T

That scene was so damn good. Alfre Woodard killed it.

Episode 7

Big spoilers.

Yo gotdamn, Black Mariah fucking snapped! And shades is a great schemer. You'll be missed Cottonmouth. Dude was an awesome villain.

Edit:

Luke nooooo

Spoilers for Ep.7:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Fucking hell, that was hard to watch. Cottonmouth is legitimately one of the top villains of the MCU. Incredibly rich, deep and tragic character. A true villain. Not a caricature but a fully fledged, complex monster. And he goes down...Damn that's unexpected. Diamondback better be one badass mofo to replace him properly T_T

That scene was so damn good. Alfre Woodard killed it.

was not expecting that to happen.
Cottonmouth is a real good character and man the actor is top tier.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Quick, someone answer my question im like in the middle of Ep1, do i need to watch Jessica Jones before watching this. I got 6 eps into that and stopped. He owned a bar or something in that iirc. Things seem different now.

Dai101

Banned
Quick, someone answer my question im like in the middle of Ep1, do i need to watch Jessica Jones before watching this. I got 6 eps into that and stopped. He owned a bar or something in that iirc. Things seem different now.

Necessary? No. It will help to fill some parts though.

Sanjuro

I'm where you are basically. Just seems to be references for the most part that may go over your head.

The narrative is establishing Luke as his own thing.

- J - D -

First ep was cool. A bit cheesy at times, but given the roots of the character it's not a particularly big detraction. I like Mike Coulter, man. His Luke Cage (as he also was in the JJ series) is more understated than I'm used to reading the comics, but he makes it work.

Mahershala Ali is really great, as expected. Not a fan of the guy in the sunglasses, but we'll see how that turns out before calling it.

.la1n

Enjoying it more than Daredevil season 02 right now. Fight scenes could use some better choreography though.

Is there a lot of sex and nudity in this show? I heard jessica jones had some explicit stuff but i wonder where this show falls in.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Episode 7 Spoiler:
"Gave a speech at a church, knocked down a few doors in the projects, and now you Harlem's Captain America. Nigga, please.

Haha whew. This fucking show, man.

Blackhead

Redarse
Episode 5
Dapper Dan!
i have no more words this show has me choked up. much respect. sweet christmas, this is black harlem for real, the music everything goddamn

The opening to Episode 5 got me like...
NlN5L.gif

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Episode 5
Dapper Dan!
i have no more words this show has me choked up. much respect. sweet christmas, this is black harlem for real, the music everything goddamn

I'll admit I rolled my eyes a little when some of the reviews came in and said this show was unapologetically Black. But I'm eating crow right now.

Spoilers up to Episode 5:
Barbershop talk starts off the show, you got Mariah saying Cottonmouth is color struck, and Luke got a tailored suit by Dapper Dan. And don't even get me started on the music.

Just serve me a plate of crow.

Dai101

Banned
I'll admit I rolled my eyes a little when some of the reviews came in and said this show was unapologetically Black. But I'm eating crow right now.

Spoilers up to Episode 5:
Barbershop talk starts off the show, you got Mariah saying Cottonmouth is color struck, and Luke got a tailored suit by Dapper Dan. And don't even get me started on the music.

Just serve me a plate of crow.

Large fries and soda?

Sanjuro

First episode complete. Awesome ending.

Hoping Cottonmouth starts hamming it up more and more. He has a great look so far.

Also, thank you Marvel for continuing the tradition of superhero programs beyond DC's 60s era production values.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Damn didnt see that ep3 ending coming. Disapointed if
the old lady survives that.

Riddler

First episode complete. Awesome ending.

Hoping Cottonmouth starts hamming it up more and more. He has a great look so far.

Agreed! Just finished first episode and I got goosebumps at the end. This is just so smooth and cool like jazz.

Top Bottom