• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Luke Cage |OT| Bulletproof While Black - September 30th on Netflix

PsychBat!

Banned
I spent that money on Forza Horizon 3 and I can't help everyone b

FORZA?!

2d7.jpg

Wallach

I'm only on episode 7 right now, but I felt compelled to say this is one of the best series I have seen in years. Do not miss this shit.

Gorillaz

I just realized Alfre was also in Civil War
playing a mother of a kid that died during the whole A2 final fight

........was this intentional or is the divide between the movie side and tv side of Marvel that big because that is a big ass slip up.

jmood88

Lmao "diet Obama".

........was this intentional or is the divide between the movie side and tv side that big because that is a big ass slip up
You're like a year late on this.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

........was this intentional or is the divide between the movie side and tv side of Marvel that big because that is a big ass slip up.

Its a completely different character

Also welcome to 6 months ago or whenever she was cast :p

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!

The latter.

Yeah the Turk cameo was awesome. I love the whole
I'm going back to Hell's Kitchen
line

Edit - shit that line was supposed to be in spoiler tag not quote

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
So only watched the first episode but a couple random thoughts:

- Its filmed very well. Its a bit on the nose at times like Copperhead in front of the Biggie picture in his club but it was a stylish look. Its very confident in its shots and actors and direction, willing to linger on things when another more show or movie might jump or add extra cuts. I like that a lot.
- Copperhead seems like a decent villain so far though obviously its still early in the show. Threatening and suave at the same time. We shall see if he rises about beating a dude to death with his fists to something worse/grander.
- Love Pops and the barbershop. Lot of little moments and love that both Pops and Luke are so well read. Don't see that often enough in a lead let alone a superhero.
- Music is all around great. The tone in the club was set by both the lighting and the singing but in general the music choices are spot on for enhancing the mood.

Overall I'm liking it a lot and hope it can keep this up. I'm cautious though as a lot of Marvel shows start with very strong episodes. Still looking good to start with.

Also I didn't realize Frank Whaley, Misty's partner Rafael, was in this. I know that guy, he went to my college though well before me. Great character actor.

Totally agreed on the longer shots this show uses. I really love how they try to tone down the quick cuts as much as possible and just let the actors flow.

Renpatsu

Unique to Luke Cage compared to some of the other Netflix shows is this extended dialogue between characters and a even bit players where they discuss popular sports, music, and movie history. I think it's this nice touch that adds to this idea of culture and legacy shaping people that is at the heart of this show's portrayal of Harlem and the people within it.

Alfre Woodard was the lady in Civil War that blamed Stark for killing her son? Now shes playing a character in this show lol. These shows take place in the same universe tho.

Just finished episode 2. So far love the atmosphere and the music! Already loving the villain too. A lot has happened in these 2 episodes though.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Cottonmouth reminds me of Avon. Am I the only one who thinks so?

Yeah I had a similar notion and I'm about halfway through the second episode. Still waiting to see who things play out but still really liking everything so far.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
glad to hear all the positive reactions, since I was never that big of a fan of DD

now I gotta see this

Toa TAK

Banned
Unique to Luke Cage compared to some of the other Netflix shows is this extended dialogue between characters and a even bit players where they discuss popular sports, music, and movie history. I think it's this nice touch that adds to this idea of culture and legacy shaping people that is at the heart of this show's portrayal of Harlem and the people within it.
Yeah, I was thinking about this earlier and it really helps sell Harlem within the show a lot better than the other two did with Hell's Kitchen. Like, I get why someone would want to preserve Harlem.

Can't say the same for HK.

Yeah, I was thinking about this earlier and it really helps sell Harlem within the show a lot better than the other two did with Hell's Kitchen. Like, I get why someone would want to preserve Harlem.

Can't say the same for HK.

As much as I love Daredevil this is true. Harlem seems like it is an awesome place just with some bad people / crime like anywhere else.

Hell's Kitchen seems like......well Hell.

Ithil

Episode 3
Cottonmouth has a bazooka! Cottonmouth has a bazooka!

I'm sure not everyone liked that sudden shift into wackier territory but his laugh after it was enough to crack me up.

Mechazawa

Episode 3:

Did...

...did this motherfucker seriously
just use a rocket launcher on a tiny chinese restaurant.

Cottonmouth is incredible.

Cottonmouth reminds me of Avon. Am I the only one who thinks so?

Nope, definitely got that vibe, at least up until what I just spoilered up there. Something about his mannerisms and obviously his "code" definitely gives off that vibe.

Episode 9

Jesus, that big ass needle down the throat made me a bit squeamish.

Edit:
Yo gotdamn, Diamondback is one crazy, scary ass dude. And seeing the evolution of Mariah has been great.

Renpatsu

Oh man why does it feel like
Shades
is an underrated character? Hands down my favorite in the show.
No, I agree.
Shades is probably one of the smartest villains we've gotten thus far just in terms of his composure and his level of manipulation. I love how they lampshade this when he questions some of the insane 'plans' that Cottonmouth or Diamondback attempt to enact. So far they haven't explored a lot of his emotional depth so that's me thinking that they're saving that for a season 2.

Verelios

Episode 1:

I swear too much truth was getting thrown around. Haha, just like an actual barbershop, throwing Derrick out like trash

Top Bottom