• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Luke Cage |OT| Bulletproof While Black - September 30th on Netflix

Mafro

So the timeline of all these Netflix shows still sometime after Phase 1 of the movies. I see them constantly mention the alien invasion but nothing about a army of evil robots. I wonder if they'll ever move beyond that in the timeline.
Well the alien invasion happened in New York while Ultron happened in Sokovia.

Alienous

Did they really need to show a dude redressing for 30 seconds?

They really drag these episodes out.

Well, that's almost episode 3 down. 9 more to go(!).

What makes a show boring? Considering we've have shootouts, fights, criminal manuevering, and so on.

What exactly were you expecting?

Tension. There's nothing at stake here. The action choreography is as basic as you can get. I just finished episode 3 and there's no threat. Luke Cage is a boring character, probably because they've made no effort to give him any kind of history or supporting cast.

S1kkZ

you could easily cut the first 5 episodes down to 40 minutes (per episode) without losing a thing. its gets better in the later episodes but yeah: the show feels like these extended cuts you sometimes get on dvd/br. they add 15-30 minutes or pure padding.

still: fantastic show so far.

CSJ

Tension. There's nothing at stake here. The action choreography is as basic as you can get. I just finished episode 3 and there's no threat. Luke Cage is a boring character, probably because they've made no effort to give him any kind of history or supporting cast.

That's what I'm getting but I feel there's a reason for this and that it'll play out.
I haven't seen it all but I'm getting a feeling his weakness is other people who aren't powered. We'll see...

bounchfx

episode 3? keep watching, you get all of those things relatively soon.

I mean, I kind of get what you mean in general, but at the same time, it's the first season of the show and not only that but you're still very early in the season. there's no reason to rush those things in as opposed to building things up. I guess it depends on your expectations, but personally I have no issue with how they're handling it so far

Episode 7:
A bunch of people have already said this, but goddamn. Didn't think the show would go there. Can't believe she killed Cottonmouth.

So the timeline of all these Netflix shows still sometime after Phase 1 of the movies. I see them constantly mention the alien invasion but nothing about a army of evil robots. I wonder if they'll ever move beyond that in the timeline.

The army of evil robots happened somewhere in europe. It's not as immediate as new york being torn to shreds for joe average new yorker.

cyba89

Oh no, Luke Cage is like that too?
That's by far my biggest problem with all the Marvel/Netflix shows so far. The material would work way better in shorter 8-10 episode seasons.

I really can't relate to the whole padding thing in regards to either Luke Cage or Daredevil. The only one that seemed drawn out to me was Jessica Jones

Davidion

I don't even know which episode I watched
but I'm sure it's episode one, with the seeming introduction of cottonmouth and the robbery/resolution and ending with Cage defending the owners of the Chinese restaurant.

I like the show a lot thus far; the players are weighty, flavorful, and deliberate in their characterization but none of it feels overdone. That he's invincible isn't a problem yet, the show doesn't really feels like it's about his powers, but rather how someone becomes an unwilling player in a game that's bigger than him.

People dislike the pace, I guess, but thus far I like it. It feels a little somber but not too much so, lumbering yet deliberate when it moves, kinda like Cage himself, if I dare say.

The show feels kinda like the wire, in that it feels less like it's about the shows titular character/object and more about the city/neighborhood it takes place in; though it's not in that league. Also, Butchie's alive and selling papers!

I really can't relate to the whole padding thing in regards to either Luke Cage or Daredevil. The only one that seemed drawn out to me was Jessica Jones

I just figure what's the rush? Like why are people so eager to get to the end. It's just nice to see these characters be established and allow them to interact.

Alienous

Same. None of the shows (even JJ) have felt too long, I thought every episode had something to contribute.

Every episode has something to contribute, but certainly not every moment of every episode. Scenes routinely go on longer than is needed to convey the point of the scene.

EP7
"You mean that cat in Hell's Kitchen beating people up?"

7716a61cc0692b095d8a7117c8bf51ea.gif

TheFlow

Banned
Damnit lt luke cage brought it down Netflix.

Playing destiny. But also guys episode 4 was soooo good. Now that is how you do
flashback

Plus that call back in episode 4 to his
costume

jmood88

Nothing at stake? Everyone who gets close to him ends up in danger almost immediately precisely because his enemies know that they can't hurt him directly.

bounchfx

Nothing at stake? Everyone who gets close to him ends up in danger almost immediately precisely because his enemies know that they can't hurt him directly.

that, and I'm pretty sure the main thing at stake based on what i've seen so far of the show is the community. might not matter to you as a viewer but it's a perfectly acceptable motivation.

Finished a few hours ago. That was a good watch. Would recomend as being better than Jessica Jones but worse than daredevil. Much cooler than both of them combined though

that, and I'm pretty sure the main thing at stake based on what i've seen so far of the show is the community. might not matter to you as a viewer but it's a perfectly acceptable motivation.
Basically. It's a battle for the hearts and minds of Harlem, Each major player has clashing perspectives of how to maintain the community. That's where the stakes lie.

Riddler

Just finished episode 10
did that 2nd dip in the experiment make lucky cage stronger or was it just to take out the fragments and that's it?

Anyways episode 11 here I go.

Shhiiitttt EP7
Netflix villains best villains

At this point I'm thinking they make Thanos Quest a Netflix series so we can gt a juicy well developed villain for Infinity War

PsychBat!

Banned
Netflix is down? Glad I watched the whole thing yesterday because I would become restless if I didn't get my Luke Cage fix without finishing it.

Violater

What makes a show boring? Considering we've have shootouts, fights, criminal manuevering, and so on.

What exactly were you expecting?

I think the "Villain" is just boring, and could have been dispatched of from the first episode.
I keep hoping that he is just a placeholder.
Daredevil season 1 felt like an actual origin story, this feels like a long lead up to the team series.

Man, I'm glad I don't have the type of personality to watch 6 hours of something that bores me.

Umm ok what type of personality have you deduced I have exactly?...

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
I'm mid way through the final episode. This is another one which I felt is way too long and would benefit from some condensing. There were two episodes near the end that just felt like were never ending.
Episode 11 in particular

I am not sure where I stand on the show overall in the sense that I still don't really care about the Luke Cage character himself.
The introduction of Diamondback and his motivations and how he all of a sudden just jumped right in after having been a shadowy figure at the start
was very jarring as well. It's like who the fuck is this dude, what is his motivation etc.

Top Bottom