• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Luke Cage |OT| Bulletproof While Black - September 30th on Netflix

Not Latveria. Latvia, as you know, the actual country:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latvia

Then again, i understand if you went to an amercian school.

No, I have industrial deafness.

Not dumbness.

Unlike most Americans I actually paid attention in geography and history.

I also read books. :p

I swear he said Latvarian, and I assumed Latvian in marvel universe would ostensibly be Latvaria and not Latvia. But I rewatched with subtitles, he says Latvian, not latvarian.

But WHAT IF, they actually mean Latvaria and we are gonna get Dr.Doom on screen as actually Dr.Doom with the awesome suit from the old days.

Loxley

Ep. 5 -
Laughed my ass off when Cage lightly slapped the dude in the head and knocked him out to get the girl's money back.

Half way through and really enjoying it so far. The pacing feels like it's half-way between the more action-heavy approach of Daredevil and trudging boredom of Jessica Jones (though leaning more towards Daredevil, thankfully). As others have said, the music is fucking great, it definitely helps in giving the show it's own vibe compared to other Marvel productions. The cast as usual is on-point, I'm particularly enjoying Simone Missick as Misty. I hope she gets more high-profile roles after this, she's really charismatic and enjoyable to watch.

Also, not to sound like a horny teenager but...god damn the women on this show.

5sKipPJ.gif

Watched the first episode and liked it.

More character in Luke here then all of his spots in Jessica Jones.

Oh and wise old barber is totally going to be killed mid season. I just know it.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Just finished it. Overall, I think it has the best consistency out of all the Netflix shows, but Daredevil definitely had bigger highs.

I guess that for the start of Defenders
it's basically going to get Luke out of Seagate.

Vic_Viper

Do they really need to show the Malcolm X Blvd sign 3 times in the opening lol.

Episode 4 so far was my favorite. Perfect way to do a quick
Origin Story

bounchfx

just finished episode 11. This shit is great. The fact that it's not overtly a 'super hero' show is precisely what makes it so compelling. Great characters and music.

Who's
the guy in the supermarket that's being robbed that everyone seems to know?
Did he appear in an earlier episode? I don't remember him.

That spanglish with the Mami uber might have been the most realistic depiction of it I've ever seen lmao. Their whole interaction is exactly like the spanglish of my family.

Jobbs

Banned
So in episode 7 or whatever
he was fighting that dude with the big gun, and for some reason even though his skin is still impenetrable, normal punches hurt him like crazy? like why wouldn't teh guy break his hand or break his foot when he punched and kicked him like in episode 1? whatever, I can accept that comic book/video game type logic, but a bit later in the fight we see him basically win. he throws the guy out of the building and stands there. so I thought, okay, fight over.

then next time we cut to these characters somehow the guy has the gun back and he's standing there and shoots luke. so luke just left him alone with the gun so he could come back and kill him? why is he so stupid?

and misty has been smart and on top of everything all series, and even seems to know that luke didn't kill cottonmouth, then suddenly she's stupid? why? and why are we spending 10 hours watching her go over her feelings? I don't know.

the show was really well edited and written in the first few episodes but it just fell off a cliff.

Episode 5 minor spoiler question.

The performing artist at the start references Obama in his lyrics. Ain't there a different prez in the MCU?

Just watched episode 7 and right now I'm halfway through episode 8, the story quality went downhill fast.

Does it go back up or I better buckle up for a mess?

Sanctuary

Funny you mention that because I pretty much see Diamondback as the Joker but if he was a preacher.

Guy is a total psycho and his plans without planning work way too well.

He may have existed in the comics long before McFarlane created this character, but every time he was on screen, I couldn't help but think of Chapel.

dde515c948b7128248072033aef01ab4.jpg

Jobbs

Banned
Just watched episode 7 and right now I'm halfway through episode 8, the story quality went downhill fast.

no shit. it became such a mess. early on we had strong editing and writing to fill the void caused by the show not having an interesting main character, and now there's not much to go on because it descended into utter schlock

Wallach

It picks back up a bit. I said the same thing in the spoiler thread, episode 8 stuck out as the low point to me in a big way.

Da-Kid

So in episode 7 or whatever
he was fighting that dude with the big gun, and for some reason even though his skin is still impenetrable, normal punches hurt him like crazy? like why wouldn't teh guy break his hand or break his foot when he punched and kicked him like in episode 1? whatever, I can accept that comic book/video game type logic, but a bit later in the fight we see him basically win. he throws the guy out of the building and stands there. so I thought, okay, fight over.

then next time we cut to these characters somehow the guy has the gun back and he's standing there and shoots luke. so luke just left him alone with the gun so he could come back and kill him? why is he so stupid?

and misty has been smart and on top of everything all series, and even seems to know that luke didn't kill cottonmouth, then suddenly she's stupid? why? and why are we spending 10 hours watching her go over her feelings? I don't know.

the show was really well edited and written in the first few episodes but it just fell off a cliff.
Diamondback was aiming most of his punches and kicks at Luke's wound, I doubt DB was hitting him full force at his wound enough to break his hand, he doesn't need to at that point to hurt Luke either. Also, since Luke was wounded he was very off balance so basically anything was going to tip him over or stumble him.

As far as Misty, I think she's just in her feeling about her partner, and pretty much taking an L at every new development. Also being under investigation because of her partner and her job is on the line. She's basically having a breakdown indicated by the fact she was choking Claire.

no shit. it became such a mess. early on we had strong editing and writing to fill the void caused by the show not having an interesting main character, and now there's not much to go on because it descended into utter schlock

Oh God damn. Not again. I'm onto episode 4 and it's quite enjoyable so far

Dram

Quick question. In episode twelve Turk and Shades both say Romeo would be disappointed by Zip for working with
Diamondback
. I don't remember who Romeo is though, does anyone know what part he played in the show?

The music is just amazing all the way through.

But, damn, does it get more and more preachy as it goes along.

That Seagate beard may have been the worst looking fake beard I've seen in a long ass time.

Episode 5 minor spoiler question.

The performing artist at the start references Obama in his lyrics. Ain't there a different prez in the MCU?

The MCU is a sham!

From what I've read, people just seem to justify it by saying Obama won in 2008 but Ellis won in 2012. *shrugs*

Stopped for the day at Episode 8.
I miss Cottonmouth already and this Diamondback dude is shit. Hopefully Shades is the final boss and he has a secret ability.

Finished. These Marvel shows continue to fall apart in the back half. Still prefer how Jessica Jones at least tried to tackle issues like rape in a superhero-ish show. Music in this show was nice at least. Oh Misty Knight is way cooler than Cage.

Raningss for those who give a shit
1. Jessica Jones
2. Daredevil S1
3. Luke Cage
4. Daredevil S2

Top Bottom