• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Luke Cage |OT| Bulletproof While Black - September 30th on Netflix

WarRock

About to watch the last episode.

Show should be called Black Mariah: Origins feat. Shades. Also, Turk is the best Marvel-Netflix character.

guek

Banned
I don't think it's that bad,
but it doesn't help that Cottonmouth > Diamondback

hmmm. I'll probably still like it more than most then. I agree that all the Netflix shows have pacing issues but it never bothered me as much as it seemed to everyone else.

neptunes

The more I watch this, the more I realize that this show could only work on a platform like Netflix.

I'm not sure the momentum between each episode would carry through on a weekly basis. Am I buggin?

Jobbs

Banned
Finished. These Marvel shows continue to fall apart in the back half. Still prefer how Jessica Jones at least tried to tackle issues like rape in a superhero-ish show. Music in this show was nice at least. Oh Misty Knight is way cooler than Cage.

Raningss for those who give a shit
1. Jessica Jones
2. Daredevil S1
3. Luke Cage
4. Daredevil S2

#1 Daredevil S2
#2 Daredevil S1
#3 JJ
#4 Luke Cage

#LukeCageWithoutLukeCage would probably be #2 or at least #3

One thing I'll credit this show with is the female characters are surprisingly great.

Misty was great
up until she suddenly became stupid for no real reason

mreddie

1. DD S1
2. Cage
3. JJ S1
4. DD S2

I think there's still a issue of filler but this is far the most fun I had in a Marvel Netflix side since DD first came out. The villains are a huge factor even after the twist midway though the show.

4/5.

I liked Cottonmouth but Diamondback is pure joy, even after he becomes a Power Rangers villain by the finale.

Kreed

Finished the season.

Pros:
+Remember this music thread about Marvel music being bad? I agreed 100% with this thread until I saw Luke Cage, which stomped all over it. The theme song in particular is great and I actually looked forward to hearing it every time it came on. I also loved all the music guest.
+Cotton Mouth, great damn villain. Not King Pin level, but great.
+The overall cast was great my favorites being Misty Knight, Pop and Sugar
+The Marvel TV/Cinematic Universe references, as well as the Luke Cage inside references were all nicely handled.
+Lots of great quotable and one liners both funny and serious.
+The reference to real life issues with black people in the US were well done/great.

Cons:
-Cotton Mouth > Diamondback. I REALLY do not like that they killed Cotton Mouth half way through the season only to replace him with Diamondback and then Diamondback basically having the same purpose and not nearly the right amount of build up Cotton Mouth and Black Mariah got with their connections and backstory. IMO, Cotton Mouth should have remained the main villain at least until episode 11/12 with Diamondback working for him instead.
-Claire. I get that she ties all the shows together, but she basically shows up the moment Luke needs a doctor. Misty should have filled Claire's role instead, or a brand new character.
-Luke's lack of friends. I recognize this is due to everyone dying shortly as the season started, but excluding Claire, Luke needed at least one more friend other than Fish and Misty. A "Squabbles" type character outside of prison at a minimum.

Overall Marvel Netflix ranking:

Daredevil S1 = Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Daredevil S2

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Five episodes. I want to like this show, but it's pretty bad.

Gorillaz

no shit. it became such a mess. early on we had strong editing and writing to fill the void caused by the show not having an interesting main character, and now there's not much to go on because it descended into utter schlock

don't tell me this

im on ep 6

My ranking would be, so far:

1- Punisher Origins, also known as the parts that he appeared in Daredevil Season 2.
2- Daredevil S1, but mostly because of Fisk. Don't really like Daredevil's origin story.
3- Luke Cage.
4- Jessica Jones.
5- Daredevil Season 2 - the parts without the Punisher.

It might change after finishing Luke Cage, currently at episode 9.

Episode 8 ending spoilers:
How could Diamondback miss that shot, unless he didn't want to kill Cage? Dude sniped him from far away and when he's right next to him he shoots his shoulder? His goddamn shoulder? A chest shot would've killed him, and I'm not even going to mention what a headshot would do.

Neoxon

I finished it earlier today, & I gotta say that I absolutely loved it. As for my early ranking, I'd have to say...
  1. Daredevil Season 1
  2. Luke Cage
  3. Daredevil Season 2
  4. Jessica Jones
That's not to say that the latter 2 are bad by any means, it's just that Daredevil Season 1 & Luke Cage are too good.

PsychBat!

Banned
I finished it earlier today, & I gotta say that I absolutely loved it. As for my early ranking, I'd have to say...
  1. Daredevil Season 1
  2. Luke Cage
  3. Daredevil Season 2
  4. Jessica Jones
That's not to say that the latter 2 are bad by any means, it's just that Daredevil Season 1 & Luke Cage are just too good.
This is the ranking that makes sense.

That's polished off.

1 - Luke Cage
2 - Jessica Jones
3 - Daredevil S2 Punisher Side
4 - Daredevil S1
5 - Daredevil S2 Ninja Side

Marvel still has a leading hero problem. Jessica is the strongest of the three, with Cage and Murdock bringing up the rear. Luke Cage retains the overall strongest supporting cast, which carries it above the rest. The Cage-Cottonmouth side is by far the strongest facet of the show. It meanders a bit when
Diamondback enters the picture, mostly because Diamondback's overall motivation feels weak for the overall mayhem caused.

How bad is the Netflix bloat?

Around 2 episodes this time around.

I can't fathom how some can put Daredevil season 2 above Luke Cage other than because of the few Punisher scenes. Seriously the magical ninja bullshit really did lower its quality. Also fuck Foggy lol.

Edit: Is there chance Luke Cage will get a season 2?

I can't fathom how some can put Daredevil season 2 above Luke Cage other than because of the few Punisher scenes. Seriously the magical ninja bullshit really did lower its quality. Also fuck Foggy lol.

Almost certainly. The Marvel shows are doing well for Netflix. It's just a matter of when.

Luke Cage season 2 might be 2019 or 2020, since next year we're getting Iron Fist + Defenders, 2018 we're getting Daredevil Season 3 and Jessica Jones, 2019 Punisher. There's still a slot for Cage 2 in 2019, but they might go with Defenders S2 or Moon Knight.

Rhoc

Watched the first episode so far so good. Supporting cast is really strong in this one. Can already tell that im gonna like it more than Jessica Jones.

Prompto

Banned

The first 3 or so episodes of Daredevil season 2 are better than anything in Luke Cage but yeah besides that I'd say Luke Cage is better.

Foggy needs to die already.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Luke Cage season 2 might be 2019 or 2020, since next year we're getting Iron Fist + Defenders, 2018 we're getting Daredevil Season 3 and Jessica Jones, 2019 Punisher. There's still a slot for Cage 2 in 2019, but they might go with Defenders S2 or Moon Knight.

That you think that:

A) we will only get 2 Marvel shows a year still with them announcing more and more (betwren new ones and renewals) and Netflix more and more committed on having more original content

B) that Punisher is only coming out in 2019

Is baffling. We will get Iron Fist, Defenders and DD S3 next year at least, JJ and whatever else (Punisher and whatever new thing they announce or DD S4 since its the flagship) in 2018 sure.

Last I heard Netflix itself said they would be doing only two Marvel shows per year, so until I see real proof that there will be more I'll stick to that.

WarRock

That's polished off.

1 - Luke Cage
2 - Jessica Jones
3 - Daredevil S2 Punisher Side
4 - Daredevil S1
5 - Daredevil S2 Ninja Side

Marvel still has a leading hero problem. Jessica is the strongest of the three, with Cage and Murdock bringing up the rear. Luke Cage retains the overall strongest supporting cast, which carries it above the rest. The Cage-Cottonmouth side is by far the strongest facet of the show. It meanders a bit when
Diamondback enters the picture, mostly because Diamondback's overall motivation feels weak for the overall mayhem caused.
Agree with all of this.

Luke Cage never hits DD's or JJ's highs, but it's not trying to. The comic references are out of control here compared to the previous shows too, did not expect Power Man to be said that many times. The same with the comments on DD/JJ. I actually expected
Matt or Jessica to show up on one of the last two episodes

And, non spoiler for the last episode:
Can they at least try to be subtle? Goddamn that Coleen Wing ad.
Don't fuck up Iron Fist after all of this guys. Just don't.

Oh, and even though it has its slow moments, and hardly is well paced as Stranger Things, I wouldn't cut down episodes here. Hardly felt as bloated as JJ or DD S2.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Last I heard Netflix itself said they would be doing only two Marvel shows per year, so until I see real proof that there will be more I'll stick to that.

So you think they drop a DD S3 coming soon trailer months ago (in whatever summer comic con it was) for a show that isnt coming out until 2018, or announce a Punisher show (which as far as I know has started filming? Dont hold me on that) and dont release it for three years (we're in 2016 brah)?

Ok then, thats your prerogative.

That you think that:

A) we will only get 2 Marvel shows a year still with them announcing more and more (betwren new ones and renewals) and Netflix more and more committed on having more original content

B) that Punisher is only coming out in 2019

Is baffling. We will get Iron Fist, Defenders and DD S3 next year at least, JJ and whatever else (Punisher and whatever new thing they announce or DD S4 since its the flagship) in 2018 sure.

The last schedule we got was:

2017 - Iron Fist, Defenders
2018+ - Jessica Jones S2, The Punisher, and Daredevil Season 3.

Jones is filming back-to-back with Defenders, Punihser after that, then DD.

Netflix may switch to three-a-year schedule. No reason not to. Puts Cage Season 2 in early 2019.

Oh, and even though it has its slow moments, and hardly is well paced as Stranger Things, I wouldn't cut down episodes here. Hardly felt as bloated as JJ or DD S2.

Stranger Things is only 8 episodes. The problem with the Marvel Netflix shows is they're 8-10 stories pushed to 13 eps.

Ezalc

My ranking would be, so far:

1- Punisher Origins, also known as the parts that he appeared in Daredevil Season 2.
2- Daredevil S1, but mostly because of Fisk. Don't really like Daredevil's origin story.
3- Luke Cage.
4- Jessica Jones.
5- Daredevil Season 2 - the parts without the Punisher or Fisk.

It might change after finishing Luke Cage, currently at episode 9.

At the same point right now, but this is what it's looking like. People putting Jessica Jones at the top is laughable. That show went to shit way faster than LC.

WarRock

Stranger Things is only 8 episodes. The problem with the Marvel Netflix shows is they're 8-10 stories pushed to 13 eps.
Yeah, I know =)
Just felt Luke Cage was okay with 13, didn't felt like a slog at points. Every time I thought "Really, are they padding with this?" the next scene came and solved my problems with the pacing.

Rhaknar

The last schedule we got was:

2017 - Iron Fist, Defenders
2018+ - Jessica Jones S2, The Punisher, and Daredevil Season 3.

Jones is filming back-to-back with Defenders, Punihser after that, then DD.

Netflix may switch to three-a-year schedule. No reason not to. Puts Cage Season 2 in early 2019.

I stand corrected and apologise then. In that case the baffling part is Netflix's plans (which can change as you say) because there is no reason not to fit in 3 shows (early in the year like they already do, a summer show and late in the year). Also that makes the "coming soon" teaser for DD S3 incredibly poorly worded if its not coming until 2018.

I was sure they would go Iron Fist -> Defenders -> DD S3 next year, JJ S2 -> Punisher -> DD S4 or Cage S2 (if either ends up existing) in 2018

ZeroX03

Banned
Its still there better then JJ and DD however.

It's a great show, but 3 episodes could have been trimmed easily. Maybe more, but it definitely takes its foot of the gas in the middle for a while.
Not as bad a JJ though, that show would have been perfect with half the episodes.

Around 2 episodes this time around.

That's sad to hear, but as long as it's better than JJ I'll be able to push through.

Gorillaz

haha no they did not have
Kima
from the wire on here basically playing the same character but with a pay raise and new title

Damerman

I just finished it and i don't understand how people say it slowed down after episode 8. the show gets funnier and some villains that you thought were small time actually give excelent performances.
Cottonmouth vs. Diamond back is going to be annoying, because i thought both brought something unique to the table. cottomouth was the cocky psycho with a volatile temper and diamond back was just straight up crazy. i like the whole season. i thought things slowed down in between diamond back and cottonmouth, but Mariah kept it from going to shit the whole season. i definitely prefer this over jessica jones.

Five episodes. I want to like this show, but it's pretty bad.

Same here. Some of the shots/editing/acting are all simultaneously awkward as well. So far I think it's the worst of the Marvel shows. I really liked all of them up until now but I'll force my way through it. There's still a lot of cool scenes as much as their are bad so I think it's worth watching.

Only halfway through, but I'm already wondering what
old black man will die
in Iron Fist, cause Marvel can't seem to do a Netflix series without one.

At the same point right now, but this is what it's looking like. People putting Jessica Jones at the top is laughable. That show went to shit way faster than LC.
I liked its ambition more than the dumb ninja shit in DD. Name me a superhero show that tackles rape in any serious fashion like JJ did? I value that over mediocre action scenes.

Ezalc

I liked its ambition more than the dumb ninja shit in DD. Name me a superhero show that tackles rape in any serious fashion like JJ did? I value that over mediocre action scenes.

JJ would have been amazing if it was at something like half the episodes it got. The way it tackled issues like that was great but as an overall package I can't excuse it's whoops he got away again! plot and the fact that JJ's action scenes looked noticeably worse than the dumb ninja shit in DD which was also awful. DDs2 is saved by the Punisher and Fisk, everything else in it is garbage. JJ is saved by the handling of the theme of rape and it's effects until Purple Man becomes too much of a cartoonish villain, a lot of the other stuff is pretty bad.

JJ would have been amazing if it was at something like half the episodes it got. The way it tackled issues like that was great but as an overall package I can't excuse it's whoops he got away again! plot and the fact that JJ's action scenes looked noticeably worse than the dumb ninja shit in DD which was also awful. DDs2 is saved by the Punisher and Fisk, everything else in it is garbage. JJ is saved by the handling of the theme of rape and it's effects until Purple Man becomes too much of a cartoonish villain, a lot of the other stuff is pretty bad.
I'm not disagreeing that JJ isn't a mess, but I find it to be a far more interesting superhero show to think about than the rest of its ilk.

Tackling a topic doesn't make it more entertaining or make me like her performance as JJ anymore. It definitely doesn't make the bad superpower scenes any better.

David Tennant was carrying that show for me. It got to the point where it wasn't entertaining as a detective show nor as a marvel/superhero show.

With luke cage it isn't a superhero show either, but at least the first 6 episodes I got a fun story from Harlem and crime.

Just finished it. Really liked it but the fight scenes needed to be better.

So far my ranking:

1. Daredevil S1 - Perfect all the way especially that Hallway fight scene.
150417-news-daredevil4.jpg
2. Jessica Jones - Thanks to Kilgrave, Marvel's greatest MCU villain yet.
3. Luke Cage - Music, acting, and story is good. Needs better fights. Very close to Jessica Jones.
4. Daredevil S2 - What the hell happened?
It wasn't terrible but faaaaar from S1.

Tackling a topic doesn't make it more entertaining or make me like her performance as JJ anymore. It definitely doesn't make the bad superpower scenes any better.

David Tennant was carrying that show for me. It got to the point where it wasn't entertaining as a detective show nor as a marvel/superhero show.

With luke cage it isn't a superhero show either, but at least the first 6 episodes I got a fun story from Harlem and crime.
Maybe. I found nothing in DD S2 interesting and S1 was just a more violent Arrow, fun but empty. I also disagree about Ritter who is the best lead in these 3 programs by far.

I will aree about the Luke Cage stuff being cool and then going to hell. The action in Luke Cage is on the same level as JJ imo, putting Wu-Tang in the background doesn't change him just throwing people.

Gorillaz

Yea, JJ had alot of great comentary but fumbled on execution. It is the prime example of these marvel netflix shows not needing all 13 episodes and/or not being great at handling the pacing. There was a point in JJ where I thought they were going to hit there stride story wise and get the job done. I'm talking about
Purp and JJ living in her old house up till him being caught in the watertank
should have been smooth. Instead from there it turns into another "the princess is another castle". No real clear focus on JJ/Purp thing.

Daredevil's team handled it alot better in 1 and 2. The fact season 2 balanced not only it's older story lines from one well but it added Punisher and Elektra's side as well is impressive as hell honestly. I can understand why people might not like season 2 of daredevil. For me it's pretty much the highpoint of this whole netflix/marvel thing.

Well see about Cage soon. I just caught on in episode 3 that they are making a modern blaxploitation with this lol. It makes everything fall into place more when you look at it in that light. Especially from the random musical cues at times to the overall vibe.

Top Bottom