• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jtibh

Banned
Ve
I would not give Panama a week to report a case if they were testing. All I can guess is cases are already flowing through.
In the canal zone most big ships have to hand over the controls to a local to navigate the canal. If any country is primed for an outbreak it is Panama.
Very good point.

But i am affraid its too late for them.

Though i hope they smarten up if there is an outbrake by may.

Worst case they wont be allowed to come to visit us for 3 weeks after they return.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Your point?

This place is turning into era . Everyone gets offended by every fuckin thing.
First the ignore comment now this?

Do i really have to tiptoe around every word i write just not to offend someone?

I don't think you know what "offended" means. It's just an embarrassing look to brag about how you're going to enact violence on people when we all know you're not, because you'd be a fucking moron to do so and no one wants to engage with morons.

Coronavirus cases in US reach 400
From CNN's Shawn Nottingham

There are 400 cases of the novel coronavirus in the United States, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, as well as state and local governments.
According to the CDC there are 49 cases from repatriated citizens from Wuhan (3) and the Diamond Princess (46). There are also 21 people from the Grand Princess.

Jtibh

Banned
I don't think you know what "offended" means. It's just an embarrassing look to brag about how you're going to enact violence on people when we all know you're not, because you'd be a fucking moron to do so and no one wants to engage with morons.
This has no relevance to this thread and i fail to see what you try to tell me .

You believe if someone puts my life in danger i wont act out? Me who is at the high risk level if i get infected? For context i had heart surgery and you belive me when i say i watch out for myself.

Yes the wording might be extreme but again what is it to you?

And just for funs since you think this is just words.....last week i was at the foodcourt and the guy was waiting for his burger.
Guy next to him started coughing on and off but not covering his mouth.
Well guy number one had enough and smacked him and screamed at him to fuck off dknt cough at me and from there on it was a gong show.

SushiReese

Interesting day by day breakdown for Italy.

Italy's data matches similarly the original Chinese data outside of Wuhan since the lock down one month ago.

It's crazy to think that even after the first week of Wuhan in full-scale lock down. Due to limitation of testing kits, there were only 705 cases diagnosed outside of Wuhan on Jan 30th, the exact 7th day of quarantine.Due to limitation of test kits, US has around 300 cases report this week now. We could not underestimate the spread/infection rate of the virus.

Connecticut can't catch a break. They don't have a case that I know of yet but medical staff keeps coming in from NY as positive

The state is not considering either case as “Connecticut cases” since the individuals are New York residents. There are no confirmed cases of coronavirus in Connecticut at this time, according to state officials.

Last edited:

Siri

Banned
Hi, so here’s an update on my situation:

We met this morning with govt. officials from British Columbia health care, and were informed that one person came down sick after (correction: it was likely DURING) her shift last Saturday, and that subsequently she tested positive for Covid19. Since then an additional three people have gotten sick, and of the three two tested positive for Covid19.

Here’s what we were told - that unless we’re actually sick with symptoms we can’t transfer the disease to anyone else (which I found surprising - but good to know). We were told that the incubation period is roughly 14 days - but again, that during this period it’s unlikely we would transfer the disease to anyone else. We were not told to self-quarantine.

We were told that healthy people cannot be tested because the results will not be accurate - you actually have to be sick in order to take the test and see if you’re positive or not. For this reason the rest of us (without symptoms) will not be tested.

We were informed to self-isolate if we show any signs of sickness whatsoever - even a slight cold.

Also, we’re officially the first ‘outbreak’ in Canada, and we’re also the first location in Canada to have a ‘community spread’ - in other words, my colleague is the first case for which the origin of infection cannot be traced. This means that in British Columbia there are likely people sick with Covid19 who don’t know they have it.

Lastly, of the three people at my place of work who have Covid19, all three are exhibiting mild symptoms only.

I’ll update you as this unfolds. So far we’ve had excellent leadership on this. The administrators are moving quickly now.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
This has no relevance to this thread and i fail to see what you try to tell me .

You believe if someone puts my life in danger i wont act out? Me who is at the high risk level if i get infected? For context i had heart surgery and you belive me when i say i watch out for myself.

Yes the wording might be extreme but again what is it to you?

And just for funs since you think this is just words.....last week i was at the foodcourt and the guy was waiting for his burger.
Guy next to him started coughing on and off but not covering his mouth.
Well guy number one had enough and smacked him and screamed at him to fuck off dknt cough at me and from there on it was a gong show.

You're full of shit and that's all there is to it. You're not fooling anyone. If someone tries to "elbow bump" you in a situation where you would otherwise have shaken hands, you're not suddenly going to flip out and try to break their arm (like, seriously, you're so scared of an elbow bump, but you're going to grab their arm to try breaking it?). At most you'll just refuse the bump and explain your concern about sneezing into elbows or whatever.

Anyway, I'll leave it at that, but Internet Tough Guy nonsense is just annoying to read.

Jtibh

Banned

We met this morning with govt. officials from British Columbia health care, and were informed that one person came down sick after her shift last Saturday, and that subsequently she tested positive for Covid19. Since then an additional three people haven gotten sick, and of the there two tested positive for Covid19.

Here’s what we were told - that unless we’re actually sick with symptoms we can’t transfer the disease to anyone else (which I found surprising - but good to know). We were told that the incubation period is roughly 14 days - but again, that during this period it’s unlikely we would transfer the disease to anyone else. We were not told to self-quarantine.

We were told that healthy people cannot be tested because the results will not be accurate - you actually have to be sick in order to take the test and see if you’re positive or not. For this reason the rest of us (without symptoms) will not be tested.

We were informed to self-isolate if we show any signs of sickness whatsoever - even a slight cold.

Also, we’re officially the first ‘outbreak’ in Canada, and we’re also the first location in Canada to have a ‘community spread’ - in other words, my colleague is the first case for which the origin of infection cannot be traced. This means that in British Columbia there are likely people sick with Covid19 who don’t know they have it.

Lastly, of the three people at my place of work who have Covid19, all three are exhibiting mild symptoms only.

I’ll update you as this unfolds. So far we’ve had excellent leadership on this. The administrators are moving quickly now.
This is the same shit they said here in alberta.

So we should just listen to the experts and they will be taking care of us huh?

I will be on my wife daily and see about hospital updates.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
You're full of shit and that's all there is to it. You're not fooling anyone. If someone tries to "elbow bump" you in a situation where you would otherwise have shaken hands, you're not suddenly going to flip out and try to break their arm (like, seriously, you're so scared of an elbow bump, but you're going to grab their arm to try breaking it?). At most you'll just refuse the bump and explain your concern about sneezing into elbows or whatever.

Anyway, I'll leave it at that, but Internet Tough Guy nonsense is just annoying to read.
Just get outta here and go back to your regular threads.

No one cares.

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web

We met this morning with govt. officials from British Columbia health care, and were informed that one person came down sick after (correction: it was likely DURING) her shift last Saturday, and that subsequently she tested positive for Covid19. Since then an additional three people have gotten sick, and of the three two tested positive for Covid19.

Hope you stay healthy Siri.
They sure did a good job of being reassuring, and making it sound like it's very difficult to spread. I imagine it would not be spreading as quickly as it is around the world if it were that difficult to catch, so I hope you take some extra precautions.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just get outta here and go back to your regular threads.

No one cares.

This is one of my regular threads even if I'm not spamming the shit out of it like you are. And you sure do seem to care about defending your dumb statements. I'll not leave the thread, but I'll stop responding to you about this particular issue at least.

Jtibh

Banned
lyuW4HS.png

Q37GrTh.png

Took these pictures today.

Wont say where its from.

Had to screenshot thebpics cuz i cant load them up here otherwise??

Jtibh

Banned
This is one of my regular threads even if I'm not spamming the shit out of it like you are. And you sure do seem to care about defending your dumb statements. I'll not leave the thread, but I'll stop responding to you about this particular issue at least.

Please anyone can confirm that i am spamming the shit out of it here?

If no one answers to this i am affraid its just you and i think you have a personal vendeta against me.

Therefor i put trust into the mods to take action by reporting you.

Siri

Banned
Hope you stay healthy Siri.
They sure did a good job of being reassuring, and making it sound like it's very difficult to spread. I imagine it would not be spreading as quickly as it is around the world if it were that difficult to catch, so I hope you take some extra precautions.

The chief difference here is that we know about it. We were also informed that in the next 14 days it will likely be the case that others will get sick. Again, we’re now waiting for this to happen and all of us have been informed exactly what to do.

Again, I’ll update as I go along. Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe I’m the first Gaffer who’s experiencing this firsthand (yay!), so I guess we’ll see what happens.

cryptoadam

Banned

So whats happening at your work? Is it shut down or everyone can just come in like usual? Not to get to personal but what type of field is it? Do you work in government, retail, finance etc... Not asking for company name or anything.

The chief difference here is that we know about it. We were also informed that in the next 14 days it will likely be the case that others will get sick. Again, we’re now waiting for this to happen and all of us have been informed exactly what to do.

Again, I’ll update as I go along. Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe I’m the first Gaffer who’s experiencing this firsthand (yay!), so I guess we’ll see what happens.

I hope for extra mild cases. I would wash my hands every few hours. I feel for you since I would not want to be experiencing this in isolation like that. Be well.

Jtibh

Banned
Guys stop fighting over this shit. Let's support each other and carry on with the information spreading.
I dont even know who this asshole is.
I never saw him post anything in here and now i am spamming this thread according to him.

I am ok to be told to keep it down and not spam but i just dont see me spamming here anything and sure as shit not interested in his kind.

Again anyone has a problem with me spamming just say so.

I'll just post this here

6 new cases of coronavirus confirmed in British Columbia
From CNN's Elizabeth Joseph

Canadian officials confirmed six new cases of COVID-19 in British Columbia on Saturday, bringing the country-wide total to 57.
Two of the new cases were passengers on the Grand Princess cruise ship from Feb 11 – 21, Adrian Dix, minister of health, and Dr. Bonnie Henry, B.C.’s provincial health officer said in a press statement Saturday.
Two other cases are residents of a long-term care facility in Vancouver.
“These cases were identified as part of an outbreak assessment at the facility in response to a staff member testing positive for COVID-19,” the statement says, adding that all residents of the facility have now been screened.
One of the cases is a man described to be in his 50s who recently traveled to Iran, and another is a woman in her 50s, described his “close household contact” of the man who recently traveled to Iran.

I dont even know who this asshole is.
I never saw him post anything in here and now i am spamming this thread according to him.

I am ok to be told to keep it down and not spam but i just dont see me spamming here anything and sure as shit not interested in his kind.

Again anyone has a problem with me spamming just say so.

This is not as busy a forum as it once was years ago so any active poster might be seen as spam. Look at my news updates I post 3 posts in a row that would be considered spam but if I wait for someone new to post after me we would be here for hours without updates. I can't fill one post with too many links and news. I was called a spammer, don't worry about it.

I would not take it to heart thanks for being here with us. Just carry on man be yourself.

cryptoadam

Banned
cryptoadam, you’ll be able to Google it soon enough.

I am sure there will be an update.

Just curious if they give you 2 weeks "vacation" and if so who pays for it LOL.

If cases start popping off in Quebec I don't doubt that where I work is going to have it somehow. So far the only plan I know of is either our sister site takes up all the work (they are not in Canada) or we all go down to a back up site in Ontario. Which hell no I don't want to be stuck in some hotel for 2 weeks in Ontario where there are more cases then here.

Not sure if this has been posted, but good video on why this will keep happening

Posted but good background info people should check out

CNN reported they have once again banned these things but who knows how long that will last before they allow it again.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone else find the Japan numbers suspiciously low

They aren't testing widely, so it's way lower than the reality of people who *would* test positive if they did, but I do believe the death numbers are that low.

Anyone else find the Japan numbers suspiciously low
we have discussed this a lot, they are not testing, they are actively avoiding testing anyone, make it very hard to qualify for testing. If they test someone they worked at a school or something like that. They don't want cases.

S Siri thanks for the update. Sheds a bit of insight as to how this country is going to handle the virus.

I hope you and the rest of your colleagues weren't infected. Best wishes to everyone out west

Last edited:
70 Life Care Center employees show symptoms of coronavirus, spokesperson says
From CNN's Melissa Alonso

Seventy employees at the Life Care Center in Kirkland, Washington, are showing symptoms of novel coronavirus, according to Tim Killian, spokesperson for the facility.

There were 180 staff members employed at Life Care Center as of February 19.
Employees showing symptoms have been asked not to return to work, Killian said at a briefing on Saturday.

Kadayi

Banned
Our government 100% for sure is incapable of dealing with corona virus. Still allowing flights from China.
I for one will not comply with any quarantine! Why should I when the government couldn't give a shit.

So you're going to become a spreader for funzies? Because fuck the government? A curious admission to make tbh

I'd also like the government to try and enforce vaccination! It will end up with rivers of blood.

There is no vaccine and there isn't likely to be for a good year and if and when it does become available it will likely go to those most vulnerable first and foremost.

V4skunk

Banned
So you're going to become a spreader for funzies? Because fuck the government? A curious admission to make tbh

There is no vaccine and there isn't likely to be for a good year and if and when it does become available it will likely go to those most vulnerable first and foremost.
Yeah I'm gping to refuse quarantine because of the incompetence of the government to even attempt stopping corona. Flights from Italy are banned but not China? I will not comply along with many other brexiteers.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Go read up how pandemics start, ff you know the Black Death started small, in the course of 6 years, yes 6 years it took millions of lives. And in that age we didn’t travel the world in such a connected way. And the mortality of this virus is higher than FLU, that’s a fact.
Remember to check what our tech tree looked like in Black Death days compared to now. We've scienced quite a lot since then.

Also, the mortality of this virus is currently higher than the flu based on numbers that do not tell an accurate story of how many people are actually infected with this virus.

I can't speak for others but my main concern is getting it myself then spreading it to my loved ones who are at a much higher risk than myself.
This is a reasonable take, and what most people should be cautious of.

@ruvikx

If it was no big deal why would China go to the lengths they did to try and contain it?

This notion of 'well Flu kills more people' as a base metric is all well and good, but the thing is standard Flu is something humanity has coped with for quite some time and is found almost everywhere whereas Covid 19 is something entirely new that people are experiencing for the first time and at least based on infections/deaths is a lot deadlier. Even if the WHO assessment of 3.4% mortality rate is off (which equates to 1 in 29 people who are infected dying) you're still talking about a virus that could potentially kill a couple of hundred million people if unchecked, and at any point could evolve into a deadlier strain.
China went to the extreme lengths it did because it fucked up the initial containment and let the disease get out of hand. Once a healthcare system is overwhelmed beyond capacity, things start to spiral out of control. This is the worst case scenario for areas that do not take proper countermeasures early enough.

Nowhere else in the world is at that point yet. Everyone is doing their best to contain the virus and not let it spiral out of control to Wuhan levels. The places I'd be most worried about are countries with shit healthcare and incompetent governments. First world countries are, more or less, handling it fine at the moment.

Requoting for the justtheflubros. Please read.

It's not gospel or anything, but based off of numbers we're seeing from elsewhere it is a very real possibility that areas of the medical infrastructure system can be overwhelmed from this. 10% of all cases needing hospitalization is huge. Especially since it is seeming to take people a very long while to recover and actually not have the virus any longer.

The death of a larger % of our elderly loved ones is just a side note I guess.
It's a possibility, but how accurate can this "math" be, when we can't even get accurate numbers to begin with? We're constrained by the testing kits. If detection methods are bottlenecking your data, then it can lead to erroneous conclusions. For example, we have more earthquakes on record than before, and autism rates are increasing more than before. Is it because we're having more eathquakes and people are more likely to get autism in the modern era? No, not really.

The ComCat earthquake catalog contains an increasing number of earthquakes in recent years not because there are more earthquakes, but because there are more seismic instruments and they are able to record more earthquakes.

The prevalence of autism in the United States has risen steadily since researchers first began tracking it in 2000. The rise in the rate has sparked fears of an autism ‘epidemic.’ But experts say the bulk of the increase stems from a growing awareness of autism and changes to the condition’s diagnostic criteria.

Caution and preparation are advised. Panic is not. Keep cool and carry on.

Last edited:

Ma-Yuan

Anybody who is wondering why nothing happens in Germany. It's basically ignorance and not testing. I do believe people must have died also but if you don't test... Especially for old and sick people you can't find shit. My government as usual is as useless as a pile of dog shit. Italies behavior puts Germanies into perspective.

Paraguay's health ministry announced the country’s first case of the novel coronavirus. The health ministry wrote on its official Twitter account that the case is a young Paraguayan national who came from Ecuador and who is now in good health and in home quarantine.

A 20-year-old who recently traveled in Europe, including in Spain, tested positive for coronavirus in Chile, according to the country’s health ministry.

Seems curious to me that South American cases are trending younger than most.

Last edited:

Quarantined Egyptian cruise ship has 45 coronavirus cases
From CNN’s Jennifer Hauser

A quarantined cruise ship in Egypt carrying 171 people now has 45 confirmed cases of coronavirus, according to state-run Al-Ahram news agency.
The Luxor Nile traveled from Aswan to Luxor, where it is now docked.
Of the 45 people infected, 19 were from other countries besides Egypt, said Egypt's health minister Hala Zayed.

Thaedolus

Future scenario: my wife can’t work from home because she has to see patients; I can work from anywhere. Let’s say schools/daycare get shut down...that means we start saving $1000 a month on daycare costs, maybe I get my sisters or my retired parents to help watch the kid...and less money on gas for commuting? Assuming I don’t get laid off because we don’t have any components from China to make product, can I lose here?

Siri

Banned
70 Life Care Center employees show symptoms of coronavirus, spokesperson says
From CNN's Melissa Alonso

Seventy employees at the Life Care Center in Kirkland, Washington, are showing symptoms of novel coronavirus, according to Tim Killian, spokesperson for the facility.

There were 180 staff members employed at Life Care Center as of February 19.
Employees showing symptoms have been asked not to return to work, Killian said at a briefing on Saturday.

Thanks for the link. For obvious reasons this is something I needed to be aware of.

Kagey K

Banned
lyuW4HS.png

Q37GrTh.png

Took these pictures today.

Wont say where its from.

Had to screenshot thebpics cuz i cant load them up here otherwise??
Yep the stupidity has officially spread up here. Went to Costco today to get some stuff and they had a sign saying they had no masks no sanitizer and no rubbing alcohol. The toilet paper was apparently cleaned out within 20 mins of it opening this morning and there was a ton of kleenex and bottled water in its place.

Safeway and Sobeys were cleaned out as well. So many empty shelves of toiletries and cleaning supplies. Some companies making some big bucks from this.

Future scenario: my wife can’t work from home because she has to see patients; I can work from anywhere. Let’s say schools/daycare get shut down...that means we start saving $1000 a month on daycare costs, maybe I get my sisters or my retired parents to help watch the kid...and less money on gas for commuting? Assuming I don’t get laid off because we don’t have any components from China to make product, can I lose here?

I think it will be a mixture of both for many people. You will lose with some changes and win with others. I guess it depends if your extended family steps up to help with your kid.

leadership got exposed

CPAC attendee tested positive for coronavirus
From CNN’s Gregory Clary

One of the attendees at last week’s Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) in National Harbor, Maryland, tested positive for coronavirus, the American Conservative Union said in a press release Saturday.

President Donald Trump, Vice President Mike Pence and other administration officials attended the conference, though the ACU says the attendee did not come into contact with Trump or Pence. The attendee also did not attend events in the main hall, the release said.

The ACU said the Trump Administration “is aware of the situation.”

Sakura

Interesting tweet that's been making the rounds on Japanese Twitter. The background is that the Japanese government has been getting criticized for not doing mass testing for Coronavirus and accused of trying to basically run a coverup operation to hide the real numbers of infections. This guy basically posited that it's not them trying to hide things, but more that they're trying to control the situation so that the people who truly need care can get it.

Quick translation:

Not sure if it's true or not, but it does seem like the countries that are testing a ton also have a lot of dead people.

What the guy is saying doesn't make sense. People with light symptoms can be home quarantined, and even if they were quarantined in a hospital they aren't in the ICU getting oxygen etc. Limiting testing doesn't reduce the amount of deaths.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom