• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

betrayal

Banned
Dr. Campbell talks about Studies/Papers coming out of China and what they learned

This time it is even a reasonably positive video. Many countries and city states are getting the virus under control. I am sure that Italy is one of the first countries that have learned from this and are therefore now stepping up their measures. As it looks, we should be grateful to the Asian countries for their experience in successfully containing or stopping the spread of the virus.
Now is the time for the Western countries to prove that they are really ahead of others in terms of technology, health and economics, as they are always trying to demonstrate.

betrayal

Banned
And I am tired of people who can’t see how severe it is until it’s to late ...

So please stop lecturing! Thanks.

You can always put me on ignore ! If that gives you rest!m

You know what’s exceptional , a whole country in Europe that’s modern in Quarantine...

I never said that the situation was not severe. What is happening now is by far the most dangerous thing in a long time and it affects almost everyone on this planet. I would never say of myself that I have no fears. I have people in my area for whom this virus poses a serious threat.
I think that fear is perfectly reasonable. But the point is not to be paralyzed by this fear and fall into pessimism. Especially not if the current facts do not support it, and certainly not if things are presented without context, which are simply stupid.

jts

...hate me...
I have to wonder, let’s say Italy can get its numbers down to near zero thanks to stopping the whole country for 3 weeks. Since the world will still have the virus going around, what prevents a new outbreak? Better readiness this time around?

Iran cases surge to over 8,000, the second highest outside China
From CNN’s Ramin Mostaghim in Tehran

Medical workers talk in a hospital ward for coronavirus patients in Tehran, Iran, on March 8. Credit: Mohammad Ghadamali/AP

Iran on Tuesday confirmed 8,042 coronavirus cases, the second-highest number outside of China, after Italy.
The Middle East country had 291 deaths from the virus, a Health Ministry spokesman said on state TV.

BNO not updating much. So even the CNN blog are scooping them on numbers updates per country

Last edited:

sinnergy

Iran cases surge to over 8,000, the second highest outside China
From CNN’s Ramin Mostaghim in Tehran

Medical workers talk in a hospital ward for coronavirus patients in Tehran, Iran, on March 8. Credit: Mohammad Ghadamali/AP

Iran on Tuesday confirmed 8,042 coronavirus cases, the second-highest number outside of China, after Italy.
The Middle East country had 291 deaths from the virus, a Health Ministry spokesman said on state TV.

BNO not updating much. So even the CNN blog are scooping them on numbers updates per country
Maybe they are sick of it over at BNO 🤣

Sorry couldn’t resist ...

Maybe they are sick of it over at BNO 🤣

Sorry couldn’t resist ...

Well they are not bots, they could be tired, been slowing down the past few days and things have picked up understandable.
or they could be sick but not working from home. As much as I joke even I know the data can't keep flowing people will get burnt out trying to catch all the reports.

Trump: US begins extraction of troops from Afghanistan.
Media: But the troops might have Coronavirus from Iran!

Trump: Hmmm, OK, US forces to remain in Afghanistan.
Media: Trump is pro war!

Trump: We will investigate if troops have Corona, alright?
Media: Trump spreads flu to Iran!

Trump: Frickin' little sniveling idiots.
Media: Waaah! Trump made us cry! Trump gave us Corona!

Chaplain

Dr. Daniele Macchini gives a firsthand account of the coronavirus in Italy:

I myself watched with some amazement the reorganization of the entire hospital in the past week, when our current enemy was still in the shadows: the wards slowly "emptied", elective activities were interrupted, intensive care were freed up to create as many beds as possible.

All this rapid transformation brought an atmosphere of silence and surreal emptiness to the corridors of the hospital that we did not yet understand, waiting for a war that was yet to begin and that many (including me) were not so sure would ever come with such ferocity.

I still remember my night call a week ago when I was waiting for the results of a swab. When I think about it, my anxiety over one possible case seems almost ridiculous and unjustified, now that I've seen what's happening. Well, the situation now is dramatic to say the least.

The war has literally exploded and battles are uninterrupted day and night. But now that need for beds has arrived in all its drama. One after the other the departments that had been emptied fill up at an impressive pace.

The boards with the names of the patients, of different colours depending on the operating unit, are now all red and instead of surgery you see the diagnosis, which is always the damned same: bilateral interstitial pneumonia.

ow, explain to me which flu virus causes such a rapid drama. [post continues comparing covid19 to flu, link below]. And while there are still people who boast of not being afraid by ignoring directions, protesting because their normal routine is"temporarily" put in crisis, the epidemiological disaster is taking place. And there are no more surgeons, urologists, orthopedists, we are only doctors who suddenly become part of a single team to face this tsunami that has overwhelmed us.

Cases are multiplying, we arrive at a rate of 15-20 admissions per day all for the same reason. The results of the swabs now come one after the other: positive, positive, positive. Suddenly the E.R. is collapsing.

Reasons for the access always the same: fever and breathing difficulties, fever and cough, respiratory failure. Radiology reports always the same: bilateral interstitial pneumonia, bilateral interstitial pneumonia, bilateral interstitial pneumonia. All to be hospitalized.

Someone already to be intubated and go to intensive care. For others it's too late... Every ventilator becomes like gold: those in operating theatres that have now suspended their non-urgent activity become intensive care places that did not exist before.

The staff is exhausted. I saw the tiredness on faces that didn't know what it was despite the already exhausting workloads they had. I saw a solidarity of all of us, who never failed to go to our internist colleagues to ask "what can I do for you now?"

Doctors who move beds and transfer patients, who administer therapies instead of nurses. Nurses with tears in their eyes because we can't save everyone, and the vital parameters of several patients at the same time reveal an already marked destiny.

There are no more shifts, no more hours. Social life is suspended for us. We no longer see our families for fear of infecting them. Some of us have already become infected despite the protocols.

Some of our colleagues who are infected also have infected relatives and some of their relatives are already struggling between life and death. So be patient, you can't go to the theatre, museums or the gym. Try to have pity on the myriad of old people you could exterminate.

We just try to make ourselves useful. You should do the same: we influence the life and death of a few dozen people. You with yours, many more. Please share this message. We must spread the word to prevent what is happening here from happening all over Italy."

I finish by saying that I really don't understand this war on panic. The only reason I see is mask shortages, but there's no mask on sale anymore. We don't have a lot of studies, but is it panic really worse than neglect and carelessness during an epidemic of this sort?

Source: Con le nostre azioni influenziamo la vita e la morte di molte persone (3/8/20)

Harvard asks students not to come back to campus after spring break
Harvard University will begin transitioning to online classes by March 23, the first day of classes after spring break, due to challenges posed by the novel coronavirus, Harvard's President Lawrence S. Bacow announced today.

Students are asked to not to return to campus after the break in order “to protect the health” of the community.

Bascow said in a statement that “the decision to move to virtual instruction was not made lightly.”

“To our students, especially those of you graduating this year, I know that this is not how you expected your time at Harvard to end. We are doing this not just to protect you but also to protect other members of or community who may be more vulnerable to this disease than you are,” he added.

Netherlands: 1 patient died, 61 new patients, a total of 382 positively tested persons
Since yesterday, 61 new patients have been reported to the RIVM National Institute for Public Health and the Environment . This brings the total number of positive tests to 382.

Of the 382, 161 have been infected abroad. For 156 cases the source is unknown or investigation is still ongoing. More than half of them live in Noord-Brabant. Most people who have been tested positive live in the province of Noord-Brabant: 157 people. There are 55 reported cases in the province of Utrecht. On Monday a patient died, a 78-year-old with vulnerable health. A total of 4 people with the corona virus have now died.

keraj37

Contacted PSN to add his card back to his account
Harvard asks students not to come back to campus after spring break
Harvard University will begin transitioning to online classes by March 23, the first day of classes after spring break, due to challenges posed by the novel coronavirus, Harvard's President Lawrence S. Bacow announced today.

Students are asked to not to return to campus after the break in order “to protect the health” of the community.

Bascow said in a statement that “the decision to move to virtual instruction was not made lightly.”

Students reaction to Corona
giphy.gif

Last edited:
I have to wonder, let’s say Italy can get its numbers down to near zero thanks to stopping the whole country for 3 weeks. Since the world will still have the virus going around, what prevents a new outbreak? Better readiness this time around?

I've thought about this as well. I'm assuming it will be a vaccine that helps lessen the chances of a repeat?

sinnergy

Netherlands: 1 patient died, 61 new patients, a total of 382 positively tested persons
Since yesterday, 61 new patients have been reported to the RIVM National Institute for Public Health and the Environment . This brings the total number of positive tests to 382.

Of the 382, 161 have been infected abroad. For 156 cases the source is unknown or investigation is still ongoing. More than half of them live in Noord-Brabant. Most people who have been tested positive live in the province of Noord-Brabant: 157 people. There are 55 reported cases in the province of Utrecht. On Monday a patient died, a 78-year-old with vulnerable health. A total of 4 people with the corona virus have now died.
We are on course to 1000 on Sunday!

So you know hands is not okay but cuddle with family for now is okay! Our friendly CDC 🤣

Last edited:

Starfield

On Monday all universities will be closed in Austria and switch to online rooms atleast until easter holidays.

All indoor events with more than 100 people are cancelled.

All outdoor events with more than 500 people are cancelled.

Italian residents are only allowed to travel into Austria with a dcotor paper that proves they sre not sick.

Source: Austrian gov

ManaByte

Gold Member
This time it is even a reasonably positive video. Many countries and city states are getting the virus under control. I am sure that Italy is one of the first countries that have learned from this and are therefore now stepping up their measures. As it looks, we should be grateful to the Asian countries for their experience in successfully containing or stopping the spread of the virus.
Now is the time for the Western countries to prove that they are really ahead of others in terms of technology, health and economics, as they are always trying to demonstrate.

Try forcibly quarantining 327 million people in the US and see how that goes.

Fuz

Banned
Italian here.
So, here's the thing. I didn't read this thread (wayyyy too long, sorry) but for what I'm seeing around on fb, reddit, here and there on the net... France, Spain, Germany and USA are WILDLY underestimating the threat.

The illness in itself is not the threat to sane and young people (much like the normal flu), but not having a vaccine means that the problem comes from its virality when the hospital system collapses under the sheer number of people needing intensive care - and remember that those are not just people with COVID-19.
As of now, we cannot even move from a city to another without a good reason.
Also, shops, bars, theaters and other activities are being closed for an undetermined amount of time, events and concerts are canceled, so the economy will take a big hit.
At least they're delaying taxes and bills, it seems...

So, since there are mostly americans on this forum: do not underestimate the threat. It's not "just a flu".

[Sorry if it has already been said, but yeah... 134 pages]

Last edited:

Banned
Italian here.
So, here's the thing. I didn't read this thread (wayyyy too long, sorry) but for what I'm seeing around on fb, reddit, here and there on the net... France, Spain, Germany and USA are WILDLY underestimating the threat.

The illness in itself is not the threat to sane and young people (much like the normal flu), but not having a vaccine means that the problem comes from its virality when the hospital system collapses under the sheer number of people needing intensive care - and remember that those are not just people with COVID-19.
Also, shops, bars, theaters and other activities are being closed for an undetermined amount of time, events and concerts are canceled, so the economy will take a big hit.

So, since there are mostly americans on this forum: do not underestimate the threat. It's not "just a flu".

I think that’s what people are forgetting. What about the person who has a heart attack, stroke, cancer, recovering from a car accident, gun wounds, etc

Hospitals are filled up as is, then you toss in people with coronavirus it’s going to overwhelm the system.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member

To be fair, most of those started the year before (H1N1 began in 2009 for example) but it's true that the media does latch on to anything to create a panic in an election year; especially anything that will help them unseat an incumbent they don't like.

Jtibh

Banned
Italian here.

If shops are closed how do get food and essentials?
Does the goverment provide door service or can you still go to certain stores?
Are allowed to move freely within your city?

ManaByte

Gold Member
All these countries around the world have elections this year to unseat the incumbent?
News to me

No but in the US, after January, the media latched onto it calling it the "Trump Virus" and claiming he's the only person on the planet responsible for it and if he alone can't stop it they must vote against him.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Italian here.

Hate to break it to you, this is the wrong thread to say it's like the normal flu. People here are convinced it's turning people into zombies.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
If shops are closed how do get food and essentials?
Does the goverment provide door service or can you still go to certain stores?
Are allowed to move freely within your city?
Supermarkets and pharmacies are open. The close-off just started, theaters are already closed and now bars and restaurants are closing one after another (or offering home delivery only) just these days. Moving in the city is not forbidden, they're suggesting to avoid forming crowds and we've been told to "stay home", but actually... all my favourite places are closed so I wouldn't even know where to go.
Hate to break it to you, this is the wrong thread to say it's like the normal flu. People here are convinced it's turning people into zombies.
That's not what I said.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
People believe the virus is going to kill 255 million people.
The flu can be treated. But we don't have a vaccine. Now, if you get the flu and go to the hospital and they don't have any more space or resources for you... well, good luck with that. And old people, immunosuppressed and people with a pre-existing condition could die even with hospital care.
Clearer now?

Last edited:

sinnergy

Italian here.

They won’t listen , sorry.

Dutch here , 2 weeks ago I was even laughed at by family .. this week nobody is laughing 😂

ManaByte

Gold Member
The flu can be treated. But we don't have a vaccine. Now, if you get the flu and go to the hospital and they don't have any more space or resources for you... well, good luck with that.
Clearer now?

Hospitals can mitigate it though. The key is for people to NOT panic and rush to the emergency room if they sneeze. That's why in the US they're telling people to CALL first and talk to someone to see if they need to go in or if they can mitigate it at home like the flu. Of course those who WANT riots and panic are screaming that's not right and people need to flood the hospital system to cause a collapse. Almost as if that's what they want.

Ingeniero

According to the metrics site:
Recovered cases: 64,647

What does this mean?
They are stable and don't have symptoms anymore?
But they still have the virus right? they can still pass it to others?
So, they can't have a normal life yet?
Or recovered means the virus is dead and nonexistent in their system anymore?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

What does this mean?

Zombies.

sinnergy

Hospitals can mitigate it though. The key is for people to NOT panic and rush to the emergency room if they sneeze. That's why in the US they're telling people to CALL first and talk to someone to see if they need to go in or if they can mitigate it at home like the flu. Of course those who WANT riots and panic are screaming that's not right and people need to flood the hospital system to cause a collapse. Almost as if that's what they want.
What they want? That’s exactly what happend in Italy .

ManaByte

Gold Member

What does this mean?

If they're recovered they're clean.

Kadayi

Banned
They won’t listen , sorry.

Dutch here , 2 weeks ago I was even laughed at by family .. this week nobody is laughing 😂

It's just the Flu Bro. What are you worrying about?

It’s only going to kill 60 million if unchecked ! Not to bad, hope you and your family aren’t in those numbers .

Only 60 Million? What's the concern. I don't even use Anti-bac for less than 200 Million.

Ingeniero

If they're recovered they're clean.
I googled and it seems that recovered does not mean cured or clean.

Is there a cure for Covid-19?
Not at the moment, but drugs that are known to work against some viruses are being trialled in China, where there are thousands of patients, and new trials are starting in the US and other countries. Large numbers are needed to find out whether they work in a few people or a lot of people or nobody at all. The most hopeful are Kaletra, which is a combination of two anti-HIV drugs, and remdesivir, which was tried but failed in Ebola patients in west Africa in 2013 and 2016. Some Chinese doctors are also trying chloroquine, an antimalarial drug, which is off-patent, therefore cheap and highly available, and would be very useful in low-income countries. The first results are expected in mid-March and should indicate if the drugs will at least help those who are most severely ill. A miracle cure is not expected.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
I googled and it seems that recovered does not mean cured of clean.

Is there a cure for Covid-19?
Not at the moment, but drugs that are known to work against some viruses are being trialled in China, where there are thousands of patients, and new trials are starting in the US and other countries. Large numbers are needed to find out whether they work in a few people or a lot of people or nobody at all. The most hopeful are Kaletra, which is a combination of two anti-HIV drugs, and remdesivir, which was tried but failed in Ebola patients in west Africa in 2013 and 2016. Some Chinese doctors are also trying chloroquine, an antimalarial drug, which is off-patent, therefore cheap and highly available, and would be very useful in low-income countries. The first results are expected in mid-March and should indicate if the drugs will at least help those who are most severely ill. A miracle cure is not expected.

So you're saying they need to be quarantined for life? That's not true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom