• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
Australia unveils $11.4 billion stimulus plan to cushion coronavirus impact
From Akanksha Sharma in Hong Kong

Australia has unveiled a 17.63 billion Australian dollars ($11.4 billion) economic stimulus plan, the country's Prime Minister Scott Morrison said in a news release on Thursday.
The package includes wage subsidies and cash payments for small businesses, to counter the impact of the novel coronavirus.
“Our plan will back Australian households with a stimulus payment to boost growth, bolster domestic confidence and consumption, reduce cash flow pressures for businesses and support new investments to lift productivity”, Morrison said.
To achieve this the plan is split in four parts focusing on boosting business investment, providing cash flow for small and medium sized businesses, supporting affected communities and backing Australian households.
"Australia is not immune to the global coronavirus challenge but we have already taken steps to prepare for this looming international economic crisis," Morrison said in the news release.
"Both this financial year and in the next two financial years, the gross impact of that stimulus is $14.82 billion US dollars (A$22.9 billion). That's 1.2% of GDP".

this makes US look like cheap asses, unless it is to buy more toilet paper

Start with TENGA EGGs(tm) and work your way up. But enough of that we are going Off Topic.

I'll get back to updates

California confirms two more coronavirus cases
California confirmed two new coronavirus cases on Wednesday -- one in Ventura County, and one in Riverside County, both close to Los Angeles.

That brings the state’s total to 138 cases and four deaths.

Ventura County case: The patient had traveled to Italy and was a presumptive positive case, meaning they had tested positive in public health labs. The patient remains under home quarantine in Ventura County. This is the county’s second case.

Riverside County case: There are no details available about the patient, except that this is the second locally-acquired case. The county has five cases in total.

Great. I'm in Ventura County.

bvDMS1F.gif

Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson are being treated in Australia's Queensland state
From CNN's Akanksha Sharma in Hong Kong

Actor Tom Hanks and his wife, actress Rita Wilson, are receiving treatment in Australia's Queensland state after testing positive for the coronavirus today, state Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said at a news conference.

"Our experts will work very closely with him, (and) with all of the cast and crew," she added, stating that contract tracing is ongoing and anyone classified as a close contact will be isolated and tested for the virus.

Quelling concerns over the couple’s recent exposure to fans, Palaszczuk said, "From what the chief health officer has told me it’s over 15 minutes of being in close proximity. A selfie wouldn’t count as that."
Palaszczuk didn't divulge details of where the couple has been quarantined, but said, "they will be getting the best treatment in our hospitals, just as we provide to everybody else".

She assured that their hospital is well equipped to handle their diagnosis, and that eight other coronavirus patients had been released from this hospital.

Japanese store puts a curse on its toilet rolls to prevent thefts
By CNN’s Emiko Jozuka

Panic buying has been rife amid the global spread of the coronavirus, with shoppers stockpiling goods like toilet paper, hand sanitizer and canned food.
In Japan, those who couldn’t buy toilet paper have resorted to pilfering supplies from public restrooms.
But one Japanese store has cursed its toilet rolls to prevent thefts.
Mink Itachibe, who works at a convenience store in Niigata prefecture, noticed people stealing between three to five rolls of toilet paper each day. She sketched an image that shows three eyes and several kanji characters and stuck it up in front of the toilet rolls.

Some store owners use images of eyes to give the impression that they are watching out for potential thieves, Itachibe told CNN. The kanji below imply that if someone takes the toilet paper from the store, a hungry monster will hunt them down and gobble them up.
“I did it as a joke, but it seems to have worked,” Itachibe told CNN. “As people were stealing toilet paper, I wanted this to shock them and think they might get hexed. People can be quite superstitious in Japan.”
Itachibe has reported no thefts of toilet paper from her store since she put up the sketches.

and folks think we are nuts in here

who steals in Japan?

Last edited:
Australia unveils $11.4 billion stimulus plan to cushion coronavirus impact
From Akanksha Sharma in Hong Kong

Australia has unveiled a 17.63 billion Australian dollars ($11.4 billion) economic stimulus plan, the country's Prime Minister Scott Morrison said in a news release on Thursday.
The package includes wage subsidies and cash payments for small businesses, to counter the impact of the novel coronavirus.
“Our plan will back Australian households with a stimulus payment to boost growth, bolster domestic confidence and consumption, reduce cash flow pressures for businesses and support new investments to lift productivity”, Morrison said.
To achieve this the plan is split in four parts focusing on boosting business investment, providing cash flow for small and medium sized businesses, supporting affected communities and backing Australian households.

this makes US look like cheap asses, unless it is to buy more toilet paper

Most of it will end up in poker machines.

bronk

Banned
To be honest I can care less about me but I'm scared for my family members. Especially my hard smoking grandma. I'm in Long Beach. Schools have been cancelled. I know all sport leagues have been cancelled. I'm sure my softball league nights will probably end up being cancelled. Idk i dont give a fuck about anything. I'm a care free asshole but I'm really worried about my family, extremely so. Siiiigh. Be safe friends.

Last edited:
This makes me wonder if old people are dying more because they aren’t getting the same level of treatment.

some medical staff have already been hinting that 'hard choices' will be made if a hospital gets overwhelmed,
it means they are going to have to choose who lives and who dies because they can't get to everyone.

Maryland reports 3 more coronavirus cases
Maryland has announced three additional cases of coronavirus, bringing the state total to 12.
The three new cases are:
  • A Montgomery County resident in his 20s who recently traveled to Spain, and is not hospitalized.
  • A Baltimore County resident in his 60s who worked at the recent American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC) conference in Washington, DC, and is not hospitalized.
  • A Prince George’s County resident in his 60s whose travel history is under investigation, and is currently hospitalized.
Last week, the AIPAC announced that some people may have become exposed to an infected case, including several political leaders at the conference in DC.
Vice President Mike Pence and many lawmakers and aides attended the conference.
“Marylanders should be taking this pandemic very seriously,” said Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan in a news release. “All Marylanders need to understand that there may be significant disruption to your everyday lives for a period of time."

it is 2AM I don't know wtf is goinf on with these updates maybe CNN had a backlog but if that is how you gonna start Thursday sheesh.

If the whole 5-14 day incubation period stuff is true it seems like the US is due for a pretty big jump in numbers in the next few days.

I'm expecting a lot of businesses on the west coast to start shutting down/running on skeleton crews. TBH the thing that worries me most is people losing their shit if lockdowns start happening.

Californians are already crazy as is.

Don't they know that can use any kind of paper? There's lot of kitchen rolls there 🤷🏻‍♂️

bef4ef152bb3fee194b2c2d2d8cdaefd.jpg

Yea but you can't flush it down a toilet. Toilet paper is specifically designed to break down in water. Napkins, paper towels do not break down in water and is a good way to clog your plumbing that will require thousands of dollars in repair bills if you flush too much down the toilet.

oatmeal

Banned

Yea but you can't flush it down a toilet. Toilet paper is specifically designed to break down in water. Napkins, paper towels do not break down in water and is a good way to clog your plumbing that will require thousands of dollars in repair bills if you flush too much down the toilet.
Throw it in your neighbors yard

If the whole 5-14 day incubation period stuff is true it seems like the US is due for a pretty big jump in numbers in the next few days.

I'm expecting a lot of businesses on the west coast to start shutting down/running on skeleton crews. TBH the thing that worries me most is people losing their shit if lockdowns start happening.

Californians are already crazy as is.

Fun fact:
New York city population density: 26,000 sq/km
Wuhan population density: 1,200 sq/km.

hemo memo

You can't die before your death

Bidet spray + any paper + trash can

nikolino840

When i finish the toilet paper i use anything i have at home :D

JordanN

Banned
On one hand it's good I'm unemployed so I don't have to be around ppl daily, but on the other hand it's gonna be much harder to actually get a job.
I'm actually in the process of switching jobs but now I too am curious how the virus will actually affect my job hunting.

Are companies more or less likely to hire during a pandemic? I know Toronto is a big city next to mine but is it worth it to travel there now, especially when one train ride could possibly carry multiple carriers of the disease?

Skyfox

This virus can absolutely wreck your lungs, regardless of age. If that happens there is no amount of money that will save you.
Wrong. This Tom Hanks thing is a temporary benefit because there's no way he will be allowed to die.

We do have answers to this virus - they are just very rare and very expensive.

He will receive every treatment. He will recover.

Ventilator
ECMO
Remdesivr

Guess how many gaffers will receive this care?

None.

Hanks will live. You will die.

GHG

Gold Member
I'm actually in the process of switching jobs but now I too am curious how the virus will actually affect my job hunting.

Are companies more or less likely to hire during a pandemic? I know Toronto is a big city next to mine but is it worth it to travel there now, especially when one train ride could possibly carry multiple carriers of the disease?

Most businesses will implement hiring freezes until they have a clearer picture of how the economic downturn will effect their business. Others will be opportunistic and use this as an opportunity to secure talent that they wouldn't have a chance of attracting under normal circumstances.

All you can do is continue to put yourself out there and see what happens.

sinnergy

That's probably the best post in the whole thread. Read it.
Sadly none will listen , our Dutch CDC just now told that closings are not needed. We are spot 11 on the list.

How high is this scientist on his own drugs?

I don’t think he lives in the same reality.

Anyway Dutchies prepare for the worst , this will not end well.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I live in France work in London. Waiting to hear if the U.K. France shut borders. I’m working this week end. So flying tomorrow. I bet they either say today on news or right as I’m in the U.K.

Just let me know so I can choose to stay with my wife and kids.

Last edited:

betrayal

Banned
Sadly none will listen , our Dutch CDC just now told that closings are not needed.

How high is this scientist on his own drugs?

I don’t think he lives in the same reality.

I have been reasonably positive so far, but I am now somewhat surprised at how badly many governments act. In Europe, only Italy has done everything right so far and they will therefore have significant drops in new and active cases in 1-2 weeks. Other countries will certainly follow suit, but with earlier strict measures the cases, deaths and problems would be much lower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom