• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.
finally

Princess Cruises stops trips on 18 ships for 60 days

Princess Cruises announced today it will voluntarily pause global operations for its 18 cruise ships for two months.

The company said it will offer guests the opportunity "to transfer 100% of the money paid for their cancelled cruise" to a future cruise.

Voluntarily my ass. They are only doing it because it's no longer profitable for them.

Fret Runner

7sudkdj.gif

US does not have a system in place to test like foreign counties, lawmakers told
From CNN's Manu Raju

Several members emerged from a House briefing on the coronavirus pandemic saying that they were told that tests would increase — but that the briefers acknowledged that the US system is trying to catch up to other countries like South Korea.
“I don’t think anyone is going to leave that briefing satisfied with what’s going on with testing right now," Democrat Rep. Mike Quigley said. "Bottom line, you leave that briefing and we are not where we need to be and not sure when we are going to get there. We are flying blind.”
He added: “I think the first thing they said was we don’t have a system that works like it does in other countries to adequately test at this time."
Rep. Jan Schawkowsky said that they were told 7,300 tests have been conducted by the public sector and 3,800 tests by private labs.
“I think everyone leaving that briefing is feeling more confused than ever and disappointed in the numbers that we heard — that we really don’t have a system that tests are being distributed and tests are being given,” Schakowsky said

what-you-talkin-bout-willis-gif-8.gif

keraj37

Contacted PSN to add his card back to his account
He is sometimes overblown but in this particular video he is 100% right - all of you who were understanding global financial markets would find it familiar to listen.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
I stand by it.

Is any one else so confident as to put their account on the line?

Ebola killed thousands in a month. This has nudged a few old people off of the planet and given a few the sniffles.

Hey, I could be totally wrong! But you know what? The disgusting condescension shown by those in this thread and many other threads, against people who aren't willing to cry and panic about doomsday, is ERA levels of sickening. I haven't seen this level of bullying, witch-hunt and hatred since 2016 on GAF.

If you live in the direct path of a Cat 5 Hurricane but are refusing to evacuate because it isn't really that windy yet and publicly claiming that it's no big deal, expect to not be taken seriously.

keraj37

Contacted PSN to add his card back to his account
Ouch, I feel kind of bad about people who bought into the last dip.

Yep, I heard from many talking heads like even Trump to buy the dip - only fools would have listen without knowledge of the fundamentals of global financial markets.

I wonder if we are reaching territory where it might be prudent to freeze the markets?

I didn't buy GE puts when harry markopolos released his report so that when GE starts finally going down the government could intervene and say "no gains for you." They do something like that and I'm out of the stock market and unironically becoming a gold and silver bro.

Vol5

All schools closed in Ireland? How are doctors and nurses with children expected to help the ill? Will there be some sort of compensation for people who decide to place their kids in daycare?

Liljagare

Sweden is leading the charts in Scandinavia, our neighbours have closed schools and told people to stay home.

Meanwhile, our state epidemiologist Anders Tegnell: Don't worry, schools are safe, keep riding the public transport, use the subway!! Though, we declare gatherings with more than 500 people illegal, but that doesn't include public services.

??????

Nice to have a moron in charge of this, he won't tell everyone to stay home, because it isn't fair to those who can't stay home?! As our situation with the hospitals haven't been precarious since 2003. Dang, I get ticked off listening to their press conferences, nations are closing, here it's like, SNAFU. Spread the love(cough)!

Mihos

Gold Member
Yep, I heard from many talking heads like even Trump to buy the dip - only fools would have listen without knowledge of the fundamentals of global financial markets.

I will buy in eventually, but not until a lot of the supply chain restrictions start easing up. Don't need to get in at the absolute lowest point to still get some decent gains at the end of this.

sinnergy

Sweden is leading the charts in Scandinavia, our neighbours have closed schools and told people to stay home.

Meanwhile, our state epidemiologist Anders Tegnell: Don't worry, schools are safe, keep riding the public transport, use the subway!! Though, we declare gatherings with more than 500 people illegal, but that doesn't include public services.

??????

Nice to have a moron in charge of this, he won't tell everyone to stay home, because it isn't fair to those who can't stay home?! As our situation with the hospitals haven't been precarious since 2003. Dang, I get ticked off listening to their press conferences, nations are closing, here it's like, SNAFU. Spread the love(cough)!
It’s numbers game, they know they can’t stop it, so why also crash your economics? They rather take the hit in human life.

The Netherlands is the same.

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
All schools closed in Ireland? How are doctors and nurses with children expected to help the ill? Will there be some sort of compensation for people who decide to place their kids in daycare?

The big con of closing schools.

But there are many positives, schools are breeding grounds for virus spreading, and with one this fatal, it is key for schools to not be functioning.

It is like asking parents what they will do when kids are on holidays/half terms. It is the same scenario here, so they should be prepared.

I just read that two cases were confirmed in a university in São Paulo. What they did? Nothing. The students are getting treatment and are quarantined but they did NOT suspend classes. I mean what the fuck. Don't people learn?

Bullet Club

Banned

Sanitizer might feel like a modern-day, scientific, and more clinical upgrade to soap. But I’m here to tell you that soap — all sorts of it: liquid, solid, honeysuckle-scented, the versions inexplicably only marketed to men or women — is a badass, and even more routinely effective than hand sanitizer. We should be excited to use it, as much as possible.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
The big con of closing schools.

But there are many positives, schools are breeding grounds for virus spreading, and with one this fatal, it is key for schools to not be functioning.

It is like asking parents what they will do when kids are on holidays/half terms. It is the same scenario here, so they should be prepared.

Hopefully this may bring an end to helicopter parenting with kids staying at home and looking after themselves like I did back in the day.

Liljagare

It’s numbers game, they know they can’t stop it, so why also crash your economics? The rather take the hit in human life.

The Netherlands is the same.

But, the economy is crashing, this is way, way worse than 2008.

We are small enough to be dragged down by the world market. Much better to bite the bullet and control spread, no people out, no spread, let the hospitals catch up.

On the positive side, reports of medications that help are starting to popp up I've read, and tons of trials are underway.. Hope someone smart finds something soonishly.

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!
The answer is in the question......
The life of a dumb fuck:

I’ll just go down to the local markets to get some endangers species for dinner
Ooh feeling a bit sick now, but really want to take a trip around the world...
Oh I have some new weird virus? 2 weeks quarantine ?? Nah 2 days should be enough. Might as well take a cruise now that I’m probably better

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

This was an interesting read, but I'm still not able to wrap my head around how social distancing can eliminate the spread of the disease as seems to be the implication of this paper and others. It seems to contradict the very idea that this disease originated in a wet market in Wuhan with just a few dozen ~ hundred people having caught it on that day. If a single point of origin and such a small number of people can cause it to spread globally into a full blown pandemic, how can limited-time social distancing effectively eliminate it?

I get that it can help stop exponential growth, which will save lots of lives by reducing stress on medical facilities and allowing them to properly care for those who need it, but I still can't seem to find an explanation for why this wouldn't just start right back up again as soon as the social distancing policies were lifted. I suppose we'll see for real in the coming in weeks in China soon as they are forcing people back to work now.

Is there a video or paper/article anywhere explaining the mechanism for how social distancing can not only slow growth, but actually eliminate the disease?

The life of a dumb fuck:

I’ll just go down to the local markets to get some endangers species for dinner
Ooh feeling a bit sick now, but really want to take a trip around the world...
Oh I have some new weird virus? 2 weeks quarantine ?? Nah 2 days should be enough. Might as well take a cruise now that I’m probably better
Hopefully he sees jail time but he won't.

This was an interesting read, but I'm still not able to wrap my head around how social distancing can eliminate the spread of the disease as seems to be the implication of this paper and others. It seems to contradict the very idea that this disease originated in a wet market in Wuhan with just a few dozen ~ hundred people having caught it on that day. If a single point of origin and such a small number of people can cause it to spread globally into a full blown pandemic, how can limited-time social distancing effectively eliminate it?

I get that it can help stop exponential growth, which will save lots of lives by reducing stress on medical facilities and allowing them to properly care for those who need it, but I still can't seem to find an explanation for why this wouldn't just start right back up again as soon as the social distancing policies were lifted. I suppose we'll see for real in the coming in weeks in China soon as they are forcing people back to work now.

Is there a video or paper/article anywhere explaining the mechanism for how social distancing can not only slow growth, but actually eliminate the disease?
It dose not "eliminate" the disease. The purpose is to slow down the spread so hospitals can catch up with cases and provide better care to already affected people. AKA more people are being treated than more people are getting sick

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
It dose not "eliminate" the disease. The purpose is to slow down the spread so hospitals can catch up with cases and provide better care to already affected people. AKA more people are being treated than more people are getting sick

Indeed - slowing it down is key. If it's suitably slowed down then it's manageable. If it's too fast then no amount of money can get the health services through it because quite simply there's a limited number of people with the skills needed globally.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, I get that, and it's effective immediately in terms of slowing the spread, but why wouldn't it all just start back up again once the social distance policies are lifted? Is the assumption that we're going to have a vaccine in a couple of weeks or something?

Indeed - slowing it down is key. If it's suitably slowed down then it's manageable. If it's too fast then no amount of money can get the health services through it because quite simply there's a limited number of people with the skills needed globally.

Slowing it down is key to reduce fatalities that would happen as the result of an overwhelmed medical system. That makes sense. The problem is that the only way to slow it down right now is to effectively shut down society. Are we planning to do that until a vaccine is ready to be deployed? Seems like the economic damage (leading to real damage) could be far worse as a result of any long term shutdown.

Last edited by a moderator:

sinnergy

Fuck this shit, lets make our own plan , don’t look at China 🤣 if Italy also manages ... i think UK Germany France and us The Netherlands are doomed.

Last edited:
Yeah, I get that, and it's effective immediately in terms of slowing the spread, but why wouldn't it all just start back up again once the social distance policies are lifted? Is the assumption that we're going to have a vaccine in a couple of weeks or something?
This is just common protocol for infectious diseases. It is tricky no doubt but experts observe trends in cases. One a certain threshold is met the quarantine can be lifted and the virus can be controlled.

Cybrwzrd

Banned
Why the fuck are sick idiots STILL trying to fly

Because they are idiots with no sense of social responsibility.

Oh, remember how I mentioned that a guy in Japan went out to infect people intentionally.

Cases are now being reported linked back to him

RealGassy

Banned
Definitely going to buy if it drops below 18,000 or so. If things really fall apart, it's not like that money is going to be worth anything anyway.
This is only the beginning. Shit is going to GO DOWN hard.
Most of the countries are severely lagging behind before the shit hits the fan fully (or are not doing enough testing).

It's only now that companies are slowly starting to let people go (and downsize). The chain effect has only just started.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom