• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mask Efficacy |OT| Wuhan!! Got You All In Check

Status
Not open for further replies.

sinnergy

It's not that hard to understand.
You close off the country. People can't travel between cities or certain areas. Shops are closed. People are in their homes. Etc.
The spread of the virus will slow down, obviously. At some point, you will say, OK, this city, or this area of the city, or whatever other subdivision you have, no longer has any infected people. The lockdown for that place is lifted, the people go back to work. Slowly the number of people back to work will increase, and the number of places under quarantine will decrease. You do extremely rigorous testing and contact tracing, and you keep any further spread in check.
If there is nobody sick, then there is nobody to spread the disease.

Now, the best approach, is to be taking it seriously from day 1. Extremely good surveillance. Contact tracing. Checking who is coming in and out of the country. That way you can keep it to a manageable number of cases, without ever having to lockdown anywhere. If a cluster does appear, say you have a superspreader who managed to infect 100 people at some location, and those people are starting to infect others, you immediately lock down that area. That way the rest of the country is still functioning.

Locking down the entire country, or half of it, or whatever, is a last step solution. It means you already fucked up. The damage to the economy is real, as I am sure you understand. But it is something that has to be done if you have let the situation get out of control.
Bingo , I also think this, over 2 weeks when they see their approach didn’t work, the Uk and The Netherlands are ffed. (Maybe 3) our CDC even mentioned when we can reach summer we could get lucky ... yeah how about no. They think heat will save them, but Singapore and Iran are both warm.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
That still gives you more control, you can put out hot spots then. Have to put the fire out first though.

Got it. So the assumption is that we're going to be able to slow it down dramatically by shutting things down for a few weeks, then somehow be better prepared to handle "flare ups" as they appear once we lift social isolation policies and the disease inevitably begins to spread again. Seems rather optimistic to me, but I hope it works.

Still trying to avoid testing but only the most sick of people in my State

Madison woman showing signs of coronavirus says doctors won’t test her, health officials say they only have resources to test severe cases

yet we have a new case 4th case?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It's not that hard to understand.
You close off the country. People can't travel between cities or certain areas. Shops are closed. People are in their homes. Etc.
The spread of the virus will slow down, obviously. At some point, you will say, OK, this city, or this area of the city, or whatever other subdivision you have, no longer has any infected people. The lockdown for that place is lifted, the people go back to work.

You can't say that unless you test every single person in the area, no? Also, that assumes a 100% accuracy rate for the tests, which we know is not the case.

Slowly the number of people back to work will increase, and the number of places under quarantine will decrease. You do extremely rigorous testing and contact tracing, and you keep any further spread in check. If there is nobody sick, then there is nobody to spread the disease.

The assumption is that we're going to have the necessary supplies and infrastructure to actually implement this kind of system within the next couple of weeks or whenever social distancing polices begin to be lifted?

Last edited by a moderator:

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Still trying to avoid testing but only the most sick of people in my State

Madison woman showing signs of coronavirus says doctors won’t test her, health officials say they only have resources to test severe cases

yet we have a new case 4th case?
This is fucking irresponsible.

For those interested, Oregon Governor Kate Brown holding a press conference. I am guessing it won't actually tell us shit but I am always hopeful to be wrong in these instances.

Oooh, Ted Wheeler gets to speak too! This ought to be interesting at least.

Last edited:
Top US infectious disease doctor says US is "failing" when it comes to testing

Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease, said on Thursday during a House Oversight Committee hearing that the United States is currently failing when it comes to reducing the difficulty some Americans are facing when it comes to getting tested for novel coronavirus.
After Dr. Robert Redfield, director of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, was asked why people who wanted tests weren’t getting them, Fauci spoke up and said this:
“It is a failing. I mean, let’s admit it. The fact is the way the system was set up is that the public health component that Dr. Redfield was talking about was a system where you put it out there in the public and a physician asks for it and you get it."
“The idea of anybody getting it easily the way people in other countries are doing it, we’re not set up for that. Do I think we should be? Yes. But we’re not,” Fauci added.

duh

Sakura

You can't say that unless you test every single person in the area, no? Also, that assumes a 100% accuracy rate for the tests, which we know is not the case.
The tests have been getting better.
You test every one with symptoms, no exceptions.
You will be able to tell when nobody is getting sick any more.
Even if you have a case or two pop up, it is a lot easier to handle than 100,000 cases.

The assumption is that we're going to have the necessary supplies and infrastructure to actually implement this kind of system within the next couple of weeks or whenever social distancing polices begin to be lifted?
Contact tracing, surveillance, etc is basic stuff that countries all do to some level. It is a lot easier and a lot less costly than trying to manage a hospital system that is overcapacity. It doesn't require people with the same skill level as doctors.
The problem is that countries were not taking it seriously, not putting their resources into this, not putting enough effort into this. People saying it is just the flu. Even the president of the US. Governments scared of uncovering a bunch of cases, because it means they might have to do actually do something, which would hurt the economy, so they just hope it sort of dies out on its own. Just look at Japan, they did a whopping 181 tests from yesterday to today. Because they are not taking it seriously, and don't want to find cases. Meanwhile a country like Korea can do tens of thousands of tests in a single day.
You can bet if they get to the point where they are locking down cities, they will not take containment lightly afterwards.

Manus

You guys remember the swine flu? I sure do and their was not nearly as much panic about that back then compared to this.

59 million Americans contracted the virus and 265,000 hospitalized and 12,000 died.

Sports were still played colleges were still having class.

What's different? To me this stuff is so overblown it's not even funny. People are going crazy.

Latvia has announced state of emergency. Schools closed, work from home if possible and no large gatherings. To be revised 14th April

You guys remember the swine flu? I sure do and their was not nearly as much panic about that back then compared to this.

59 million Americans contracted the virus and 265,000 hospitalized and 12,000 died.

What's different? To me this stuff is so overblown it's not even funny. People are going crazy.
If 59 million contracted the virus and 12k died, do the math to see the mortality rate. Then check again for this one.

Here's the cure to the Corona virus.

giphy.gif

All Hail C-Webb

Hailing from the Chill-Web

That's awesome.
Australia hasn't had a huge outbreak yet, so he and his wife should have ideal treatment options.

The NBA issue is going blow up in coming weeks. I'm guessing at least 50 players get it,and J think it's the main reason the NBA had to act now. They knew they'd be forced into it soon enough.

RedVIper

Banned

That's a much lower mortality rate.

This has infected around 130k people and killed 4.5k.

If it infect 350k people it will match that at 12k.

If it infects 59million it will kill around 1.8 million.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: RSB
That's awesome.
Australia hasn't had a huge outbreak yet, so he and his wife should have ideal treatment options.

The NBA issue is going blow up in coming weeks. I'm guessing at least 50 players get it,and J think it's the main reason the NBA had to act now. They knew they'd be forced into it soon enough.

Since 2 already are confirmed, there has to be more. It could be a good example of how this spreads with such close contact. Do players on other teams catch it? Is it only other people in the same locker room? What about the press? Fans?

Although I'm a Wuhan Believer, I can't help thinking that you guys, the Wuhan Deniers, are right. What we're seeing here is social media controlling us like never before. Not directly, like the social media scare isn't really a thing yet, but our brains are hardwired now into the social media reaction cycles. I mean, who can argue with what you posted, the numbers speak for themselves.

However, saying that, let's see what the two-week preventive closures of schools and shops will do to settle the Wuhan Bug.

Edit: Also, can we stop saying "self-isolate". Like, can't we just say chillin' at home instead???

Last edited:
Bingo , I also think this, over 2 weeks when they see their approach didn’t work, the Uk and The Netherlands are ffed. (Maybe 3) our CDC even mentioned when we can reach summer we could get lucky ... yeah how about no. They think heat will save them, but Singapore and Iran are both warm.
Heat has no impact on the virus, not sure why some people believe that.

ROMhack

Because the death rate is 2.75%

Swine flu worked out to be 0.02%

It's a much bigger problem by a strong margin.

Last edited:

Jtibh

Banned
  • Scott Gottlieb says US can still avoid "Italy-like" outcome
  • UK reports 2 more deaths
  • Trudeau and wife to self-quarantine after wife reports flu-like symptoms
  • 2nd Utah Jazz player tests positive
  • Dr. Fauci says test shortage is major government 'failing'
  • Reporter claims Gobert was careless in the lockerroom
  • 2020 champions league tournament postponed until next year
  • US Major League soccer suspends play
  • Trump says we may need to extend travel ban
  • Reports claim once again that Merkel is ready to whip out the checkbook
  • EU officials condemned Trump's travel ban
  • Trump says 'markets are going to be fine'
  • Spain has approved a €2.8 billion rescue package
  • Olympic torch lit in front of just 100 spectators
  • La Liga suspends season after Real Madrid player tests positive
  • 3 F1 racers quarantined
  • Blackstone advises portfolio companies to draw down revolving credit lines
  • NHL rumored to be planning a league play suspension as playoffs begin
  • Passenger on JetBlue flight from NY to FLA tests positive for virus
  • Spanish cabinet being tested for coronavirus
  • Scandinavia begins shuttering schools
  • Iran reaches out to 3 million Iranians who may have been infected
  • Market participants wary of dissipating bond market liquidity
  • Global deaths pass 4,600

America is currently at 1,300 cases and 38 dead. Real scary.

Maybe if it was way higher I could see the panic, but I really don't. Especially when it's mainly older folks who are dying.
Because barely anyone has been tested and it's something that has the potential to grow exponentially. The reality is that preventive measures need to be taken now before it's too late.

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned
America is currently at 1,300 cases and 38 dead. Real scary.

Maybe if it was way higher I could see the panic, but I really don't. Especially when it's mainly older folks who are dying.

Yeah and 2 weeks from now it will be around 13k, and two weeks from then 130k...

If the virus doesn't stop spreading it will kill a significant amount of people.

Sakura

You serious, flu-bro?
Just look at Italy. 12,462 cases and 827 deaths. Population less than a fifth of the US, so that would be like 62,310 and 4,135 deaths in the US. With the first case only a little over a month ago.
Look at that death rate. Swine flu would 940x the cases but just 3x the deaths. Do you understand yet?
Before you give me the bollocks on "oh but there are lots of unreported mild cases!!!", there would have to be 4 million unreported cases and 0 unreported deaths in Italy, in order for the coronavirus to have the same death rate as the swine flu's death rate in the US.

Last edited:

Alx

What's different is that the virus has an estimated lethality of around 3%. If 59 million Americans contracted it like they did with the swine flu, you would expect 1.77 million deaths, instead of 12000.

Last edited:

prag16

Banned
I think you vastly underestimate the economic damage that closing business for a month would do. Many businesses depend on constant cash flow wouldn't be able to survive such a closure. Restaurants for example. Supply chains would fall apart and upon resuming businesses there would be scarcity all over the place. Formerly loyal customers would disappear. It would be an absolute mess.

Yep. This is going to be a clusterfuck. If the UK and the Netherlands stick to their guns on their approach, I predict they come out of it better than places who try to halt the entirety of society for a few weeks.

That's the thing, how are they going to lift these policies? Shit would need to stay shut down a LOT longer than two weeks.

Last edited:
You serious, flu-bro?
Just look at Italy. 12,462 cases and 827 deaths. Population less than a fifth of the US, so that would be like 62,310 and 4,135 deaths in the US. With the first case only a little over a month ago.
Look at that death rate. Swine flu would 9400x the cases but just 3x the deaths. Do you understand yet?
Before you give me the bollocks on "oh but there are lots of unreported mild cases!!!", there would have to be 4 million unreported cases and 0 unreported deaths in order for the coronavirus to have the same death rate as the swine flu's death rate in the US.
The biggest issue with Italy is the older population but in the US, the major issue is people with preexisting conditions that make them vulnerable to death from the virus. Obesity is at what, 40-something percent in the US? That impacts your respiratory system, weakens it and that is what this virus is most dangerous too.

mcz117chief

Still plenty of TP here in Czech Rep. I wonder why people buy TP in such massive bulks in other countries? Do these people shit that often? One roll lasts me like a month.

Last edited:
Still plenty of TP here in Czech Rep. I wonder why people buy TP in such massive bulks in other countries? Do these people shit that often? One roll lasts me like a month.
I mean, I think loading up on TP isn't the worst idea considering it doesn't go bad and something you're inevitably going to purchase so why not just load up now for the off chance it'll come in handy sooner than later?

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Because barely anyone has been tested and it's something that has the potential to grow exponentially. The reality is that preventive measures need to be taken now before it's too late.
I
I guess we just don't have the resources to test everyone, even people with symptoms, like somebody else said to me. So who will ever know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom